akiss20
Topic Author

Obama Openly Backs Gay Marriage

Wed May 09, 2012 7:30 pm

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...obama-backs-same-sex-marriage?lite

I am somewhat surprised but pleased by this. For the first time in my (granted short thusfar) life, I feel as if I have a president who actually will fight for my rights and recognizes me as an equal citizen.

I fear that this may turn into a 2004 election all over again, but I feel that in the 8 years since '04, the country's views on gay marriage has substantially evolved. With a majority of Americans supporting it (50% in '12, down from 53% in '11, versus 42% in '04 http://www.gallup.com/poll/154529/Ha...-Support-Legal-Gay-Marriage.aspx), and the economy such a huge issue, I don't think it will be as useful of an issue to motivate the far right base.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

vikkyvik

RE: Obama Openly Backs Gay Marriage

Wed May 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Awesome.

Always makes me happy when a prominent politician has the balls to actually say something like that. Even better that it's the President.

Now granted, maybe he's pandering to his supporters....but anyway, still awesome.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

flymia

Wed May 09, 2012 8:28 pm

I would not get too excited about this. I can see the significance of it, being the first sitting president to say it. That's not a bad thing, but.....

One until a case goes to the supreme court if one ever does this is a state issue.

Second this is the same President Obama who for the last few years has said over and over again he is NOT for same sex marriage. This is a purely political move coming from the master politician.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Tugger

Wed May 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 1):
Now granted, maybe he's pandering to his supporters....but anyway, still awesome.

Same reason why he didn't state such a position previously. But hey, he's a politician, so I expect him to be political. Everyone knew that if push came to shove he would not have opposed it.

When you get right down to it, there is no real reason to not support same-sex marriage. If I ever care to get into the (what turns out to be, endless, unresolvable, and silly) discussion, I ask: "Why do you want to deny marriage to same-sex partners. Why does it make any sense, what does it affect?" and it ALWAYS comes down to religion/belief and "what they are used to/raised with". It is never based on anything real or valid. Just "they don't like it".

So bring it on.

I support marriage and understand the fact that a society needs people that will commit to a loved one to thrive, and the more that do that the better (and decrease the burden/cost on government).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

mt99

Wed May 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 2):

One until a case goes to the supreme court if one ever does this is a state issue.

Agreed 100%. He cannot unilaterally force the issue on anybody, which is fine - that is the nature of the rule of law that we have.

It still good to hear  
Second this is the same President Obama who for the last few years has said over and over again he is NOT for same sex marriage.

Ugh really? since you brought it up.. want to list some of Romney "flip flops"? Do you know that he is taking credit for the auto industry turn-around?

Quoting tugger (Reply 3):
Same reason why he didn't state such a position previously. But hey, he's a politician, so I expect him to be political. Everyone knew that if push came to shove he would not have opposed it.

Of course - he is a politician. You don't get where he is at by not being one.
Step into my office, baby

Molykote

Wed May 09, 2012 8:41 pm

When you get right down to it, there is no real reason to not support same-sex marriage.

Sure there is (civil unions... for gay and straight).

If you choose to have a religiously recognized "marriage" beyond a state sanctioned civil union, that's fine. I think that the "civil union only" approach (at least within the bounds of government) serves to establish equality and to dissociate religion from government.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

slider

Wed May 09, 2012 8:42 pm

/looks at poll numbers
//realizes needs another distraction from the economy and the disaster of a presidency
///sticks fingers in air

////SUPPORTS GAY MARRIAGE AFTER HAVING WAFFLED AND VACILLATED FOR YEARS

Such a great election ploy, Obama....and transparent. yawn.

mt99

Wed May 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 6):

And this is what? - not an election ploy?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...s-opposition-to-same-sex-marriage/

Tugger

Wed May 09, 2012 9:10 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 5):

If you choose to have a religiously recognized "marriage" beyond a state sanctioned civil union, that's fine. I think that the "civil union only" approach (at least within the bounds of government) serves to establish equality and to dissociate religion from government.

Can't argue with that really. Because if people are arguing that "marriage" is religious then government should not be involved (though I don't think it exclusively is). So quite frankly a "civil union" is fine by me.

Many religion's have no problem at all with same-sex marriage so those that do support it will perform the marriages and those that don't still won't and those people that just "don't believe in" marriage at all can also at least be recognized by the state and receive the benefits of such a union. And the "nature" (oooo horror) of marriage then will not be affected by those that claim it will be (let me say that again: "Oooo the horror!!!").

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

vikkyvik

Wed May 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Absolutely the best plan, in my opinion.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Superfly

Wed May 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Cute. Kudos to Husseien.

I'm still voting for Romney in November.
Bring back the Concorde

mariner

Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 4):
Agreed 100%. He cannot unilaterally force the issue on anybody, which is fine - that is the nature of the rule of law that we have.

It still good to hear

As Andrew Sullivan writes:

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast....2012/05/obama-lets-go-of-fear.html

"I do not know how orchestrated this was; and I do not know how calculated it is. What I know is that, absorbing the news, I was uncharacteristically at a loss for words for a while, didn't know what to write, and, like many Dish readers, there are tears in my eyes.

So let me simply say: I think of all the gay kids out there who now know they have their president on their side.

Today Obama did more than make a logical step. He let go of fear. He is clearly prepared to let the political chips fall as they may. That's why we elected him. That's the change we believed in. The contrast with a candidate who wants to abolish all rights for gay couples by amending the federal constitution, and who has donated to organizations that seek to "cure" gays, who bowed to pressure from bigots who demanded the head of a spokesman on foreign policy solely because he was gay: how much starker can it get?"

mariner
aeternum nauta

flipdewaf

Wed May 09, 2012 9:48 pm

If you choose to have a religiously recognized "marriage" beyond a state sanctioned civil union

Why does religion get to own marriage?

Fred

DfwRevolution

Wed May 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Quoting akiss20 (Thread starter):
I am somewhat surprised but pleased by this. For the first time in my (granted short thusfar) life, I feel as if I have a president who actually will fight for my rights and recognizes me as an equal citizen.

If this was so important to Obama, why did he not address the issue when he had a filibuster-proof majority in both the House and Senate? That Obama is now backing gay marriage makes it seem like:

1. It was a low priority or non-priority, which makes Obama's 2008 campaign promises seem hollow
2. It's only being floated out now as an election year campaign issue after the other campaign initiatives failed to engage the public
3. It's still only being floated after Biden was used to test the waters in the talk show circuit, so how strong is Obama's actual resolve?

It screams pandering. Realistically, Obama will not have the legislative majority he had in 2008-2010, so nothing is going to happen one way or another.

mariner

Wed May 09, 2012 10:22 pm

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 14):
It screams pandering.

Probably only to those who want it seem like pandering.

For some people, it means something quite other:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...-off_n_1504061.html?ref=gay-voices

"Iowa student Zach Wahls -- whose impassioned marriage equality speech became the most-viewed political video on YouTube after going viral twice in 2011 -- noted, "As the son of asame-sex couple from Iowa, and one of the first children born to an openly lesbian parent in the Midwest, it is with a sense of awe-struck bewilderment that I realize I am now represented by a sitting U.S. president who publicly supports the marriage shared by my two moms, Jackie and Terry.""

Why would the President need to "pander" to him? He would already have that vote.

mariner
aeternum nauta

kiwiandrew

Wed May 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 13):

Exactly, if the US really believes in the separation of church and state they should do what Belgium does... there, if people want to have a religious "wedding ceremony" recognised by the church that is up to them... but the only marriage which has any legal validity is the civil one done at the town hall which is open to all couples regardless of religious beliefs or gender.

swissy

Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 16):
Exactly, if the US really believes in the separation of church and state they should do what Belgium does... there, if people want to have a religious "wedding ceremony" recognised by the church that is up to them... but the only marriage which has any legal validity is the civil one done at the town hall which is open to all couples regardless of religious beliefs or gender.

Agree with you... why cant we accept marriage by law is a commitment between two people... got/should have nothing to do with gender... its time to move in to the new millennium and give them the same rights and protection... so simple

Cheerios,

Tugger

Wed May 09, 2012 10:40 pm

It doesn't.

Religion specifically does not "own" the word at all, and if it did then based on religious freedom the US would have to recognize those marriages that are performed by religions that accept and support same-sex marriage. Because they already recognize marriage in other religions and to otherwise deny such recognition would be (and quite frankly I think it is) to favor one religion over another.

Tugg

DocLightning

Wed May 09, 2012 11:10 pm

You're in a word game.

"Marriage" is the word used for secular legal unions in this country. Religious officials are allowed to conduct legal marriages, but so are judges. You can get married at City Hall.

We are NOT going to get rid of civil marriage and replace it with universal civil unions. It will not happen. The word for a legal civil union is "marriage." The fact that some states do not allow it is a clear violation of the "Equal Protection" clause. The SCOTUS has ruled eight times that marriage is a fundamental civil right. There is absolutely no logical or legal argument against gay marriage and recent court cases in which the anti-gay sides (and let's not pretend that it's anything other than anti-gay sentiment) have been able to present NOT ONE SINGLE legal or secular argument against gay marriage is proof of that.

So it's "gay marriage."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

us330

Wed May 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Second this is the same President Obama who for the last few years has said over and over again he is NOT for same sex marriage. This is a purely political move coming from the master politician.

I think the guy always thought that same sex marriage should be legal, he just couldn't voice it for fear of screwing over his election chances. This was absolutely a move calculated to be taken at the most politically-opportune time--but I'm glad he said it anyway.

planeguy727

Wed May 09, 2012 11:34 pm

I understand people's excitement about the President's statement today; however, I would have been more excited is he came out in support of the government ending "legal" recognition of marriage. The love and dedication of two people declared to each other is a beautiful thing, but the gov't should not be involved.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

compensateme

Wed May 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 14):
That Obama is now backing gay marriage makes it seem like:

Support for gay marriage is significantly stronger today than it was four years ago.

Political candidates rarely openly support issues the majority of their constitutes support, regardless of their party affiliation.
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

Tugger

Wed May 09, 2012 11:44 pm

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 21):
I understand people's excitement about the President's statement today; however, I would have been more excited is he came out in support of the government ending "legal" recognition of marriage. The love and dedication of two people declared to each other is a beautiful thing, but the gov't should not be involved.

The whole reason why government recognizes it and supports it (tax status, benefits for partner, etc) is because it saves the government an enormous amount of money and supports a strong society.

Plain and simple, you want to encourage two people to be together and commit to each other (beyond that is not needed as "two together" is the basic building block of all society - as the song goes "one is the loneliest number"   ) so that you can afford to have a society, a city, a nation, a civilization.

Tugg

fxramper

Thu May 10, 2012 12:50 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
You're in a word game.

I think Obama is too. When the transcripts come out and the full interview is revealed you'll see he twisted words for votes. Plain and simple. He said he thinks they 'should' not have the 'right'. It's silly to point out but he is double dipping trying to preserve the vote that got him elected and still go after another demographic. He is getting killed in every poll against Romney. If Obama wants to steal some votes this early in the season dump Biden and take a new running mate. Comical what that guy said about Iran.   

DocLightning

Thu May 10, 2012 12:57 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 24):
He is getting killed in every poll against Romney.

Odd. You must be watching Fox.

Obama was put under pressure and he finally gave. Of course he backs gay marriage. He flat-out lied up until now. It's something I can forgive, but I won't forget.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DfwRevolution

Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 15):
Probably only to those who want it seem like pandering.

If 6 months out from the general election, the GOP took-up prayer in school as an election issue, the howls from the left would be deafening. Both parties play to social issues when they need to drum up the base. I'll ask my key question again: since the Democrats had their blank check to pass anything from 2008-2010, how can any unfulfilled aspirations of the left be seen as anything other than insincerity or incompetence?

Maybe I answered my own question given the cap-and-trade debacle.

FlyPNS1

Thu May 10, 2012 1:13 am

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 26):
I'll ask my key question again: since the Democrats had their blank check to pass anything from 2008-2010, how can any unfulfilled aspirations of the left be seen as anything other than insincerity or incompetence?

What's that got to do with gay marriage? Even with a Democratic majority, Congress couldn't do anything meaningful regarding gay marriage.

DocLightning

Thu May 10, 2012 1:14 am

I'll ask my key question again: since the Democrats had their blank check to pass anything from 2008-2010, how can any unfulfilled aspirations of the left be seen as anything other than insincerity or incompetence?

First of all, the Southern Democrats would not have allowed it. Second, gay marriage was less popular in 2009 than it is in 2012. Now that a true majority of Americans support gay marriage, it's a safer bet.

I'm not arguing that Obama is 100% sincere (or rather, that he had been sincere prior to this announcement), that this is an apolitical move, or that this has nothing to do with the elections. That would be completely indefensible

But this is a line in the sand that I am glad to see drawn. Now I want to see it on the DNC platform.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

compensateme

Thu May 10, 2012 1:16 am

We can ask the same question about the GOP from 2000-2006.

Many polls are now showing that about half of Americans support same-sex marriage. That's a significant climb from polls conducted just four years ago.

As long as the overwhelming majority of Americans oppose mandatory, school-led prayers, no serious GOP presidential contender will every support the issue. If those trends change, you can bet they'll be all over it.
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

Maverick623

Thu May 10, 2012 1:50 am

You're in a word game.

"Marriage" is the word used for secular legal unions in this country. Religious officials are allowed to conduct legal marriages, but so are judges. You can get married at City Hall.

We are NOT going to get rid of civil marriage and replace it with universal civil unions. It will not happen. The word for a legal civil union is "marriage." The fact that some states do not allow it is a clear violation of the "Equal Protection" clause. The SCOTUS has ruled eight times that marriage is a fundamental civil right. There is absolutely no logical or legal argument against gay marriage and recent court cases in which the anti-gay sides (and let's not pretend that it's anything other than anti-gay sentiment) have been able to present NOT ONE SINGLE legal or secular argument against gay marriage is proof of that.

So it's "gay marriage."

This.

What you Europeans like to call a "civil union", we call marriage. It is the same thing. We get confused when people talk about abolishing marriage and instituting civil unions, because they are the same thing to us.

Quoting fxramper (Reply 24):
He is getting killed in every poll against Romney.

Must be the same poll that said that the NC amendment wouldn't pass. The only poll that matters is on November 6th.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

ltbewr

Thu May 10, 2012 1:51 am

Quoting swissy (Reply 17):
Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 16):Exactly, if the US really believes in the separation of church and state they should do what Belgium does... there, if people want to have a religious "wedding ceremony" recognised by the church that is up to them... but the only marriage which has any legal validity is the civil one done at the town hall which is open to all couples regardless of religious beliefs or gender.
Agree with you... why cant we accept marriage by law is a commitment between two people... got/should have nothing to do with gender... its time to move in to the new millennium and give them the same rights and protection... so simple

Ditto.

This is still a very small step. An important but still small one. What is needed is for the Federal Government to recognize in tax laws, Social Security, Disability, Discrimination laws and many other benefits and obligations, to accept state sanctioned civil unions and marriages of same-gender couples. Here in New Jersey, where Civil Unions are legal, the state income tax forms clearly recognize them for example. Federal income tax forms don't. Only a few states recognize same-gender unions and very few same-gender marriage - most state have laws or state Constitutional amendments that clearly ban same sex marriage or civil unions.

Based on some others opinions and my thinking, there may be several reasons for President Obama to 'come out of the closet' on same sex marriage now. No doubt VP Biden and other top party/executive officials openly supporting gay marriage - perhaps intentional to open the way - presented the opportunity to come out. Perhaps it is better to get it out long before the elections, removing it from the campaign. The vote yesterday in North Carolina by a significant margin for a State Constitutional Amendment on only man and woman as marriage partners may have been another trigger. The need for support from the more liberal wing of the party in a relatively cheap way and perhaps attract their money for the campaign. It also presents a major difference to Romney that may attract socially moderate independent voters as well as younger voters more likely to vote for Democrats.

Whatever and whenever this was going to happen, at least a step has been taken in the correct direction.

mariner

Thu May 10, 2012 2:10 am

I assume that neither he, nor a number of his party had evolved to this position then. Even four years ago, support of marriage equality was scarcely a majority position.

mariner
aeternum nauta

akiss20
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2012 2:55 am

Just for reference, in '08 support for gay marriage was 40% according to Gallup. Even halfway through '10, it was only at 46%
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

DocLightning

Thu May 10, 2012 3:22 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 27):

What's that got to do with gay marriage? Even with a Democratic majority, Congress couldn't do anything meaningful regarding gay marriage.

They could have repealed DOMA and they did not.

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 33):

Just for reference, in '08 support for gay marriage was 40% according to Gallup. Even halfway through '10, it was only at 46%

Which is irrelevant because civil rights are not decided by majority vote.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

akiss20
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2012 3:50 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 34):
Quoting akiss20 (Reply 33):

Which is irrelevant because civil rights are not decided by majority vote.

I understand that Mike, I am just demonstrating that if you want to view it as Obama shifting because of shifting views in the country, there is evidence for that.

kngkyle
Crew

Thu May 10, 2012 4:09 am

About damn time. Now do something to change the federal immigration policy that bars same-sex marriages equal rights.

usflyer msp

Thu May 10, 2012 4:43 am

I am actually very mad at obama for announcing this right now. he should have waited until after the election. call em a cynic but he can kiss his southern electoral votes goodbye now and will be in trouble in the midwest too.

StarAC17

Thu May 10, 2012 4:50 am

I am somewhat surprised but pleased by this. For the first time in my (granted short thusfar) life, I feel as if I have a president who actually will fight for my rights and recognizes me as an equal citizen

I'm not, he supported it all along regarding civil unions. Obama was pandering in 08 and now he is doing and saying what he thinks.

I think he was pandering before.

When you get right down to it, there is no real reason to not support same-sex marriage.

Us hetero-sexuals have ruined marriage anyway, it really has no significance when the divorce rate it over 50%. Let the gays have a go with it to see if they can do a better job I say.

They don't really, just because you are married in a church means nothing legally. You still have to register the union with the government.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
Obama was put under pressure and he finally gave. Of course he backs gay marriage. He flat-out lied up until now. It's something I can forgive, but I won't forget.

Times change and a lot of the opinion on gay marriage is lifting due to shows like Glee. Also he is a politician and his opinion unfortunately can cost him his job (it still might).

since the Democrats had their blank check to pass anything from 2008-2010, how can any unfulfilled aspirations of the left be seen as anything other than insincerity or incompetence?

He wouldn't have had this passed with a dem congress because a lot of them are still as religious as the GOP and probably don't agree. All Obama did was state his opinion, not pushing for legislation.

We are NOT going to get rid of civil marriage and replace it with universal civil unions. It will not happen. The word for a legal civil union is "marriage." The fact that some states do not allow it is a clear violation of the "Equal Protection" clause.

Yes it is and civilly it a "marriage" as you say should be allowed for anyone.
Churches can do whatever they want according to the first amendment and disagree with the now majority opinion or deny to wed a gay couple.

It stops there though, no church should be allowed to have any political influence on lawmakers regarding the status of a same-sex marriage bill in any legislature. If they do like the Mormon church did in California in 2008 putting $20 million into defeating Prop 8 then they should have their tax-exempt status pulled because they are violating the first amendment.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

windy95

Thu May 10, 2012 11:42 am

He did not openly support it. He caved to pressure for cash. He did it under duress because his donors held his campaign hostage.

Democrats had their blank check to pass anything from 2008-2010, how can any unfulfilled aspirations of the left be seen as anything other than insincerity or incompetence?

Bingo

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
Of course he backs gay marriage. He flat-out lied up until now. It's something I can forgive, but I won't forget.

He has prettty miuch lied about everything until now.

luckyone

Thu May 10, 2012 12:10 pm

I feel as if I have a president who actually will fight for my rights and recognizes me as an equal citizen.

Don't get too excited. As we've seen, the man does not have a magic wand.

Bingo!!

Quoting slider (Reply 6):

Yup, even if I do agree. He's still a politician. Most apropos here, my father and grandfather both say/said that "the only thing more crooked than a preacher is a politician." Right now we're watching a dance between them.

Because somebody, somewhere, decided that someone (usually a man) attached to a church held more authority than non-clerical peons. Never mind that the point of Jesus was that salvation was for ALL. But that's a separate issue for a separate thread.

StarAC17

Thu May 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 39):
He did not openly support it. He caved to pressure for cash. He did it under duress because his donors held his campaign hostage.

He was pandering in 08 IMO. He always was pro gay marriage, I also think he thinks religion is a crock of crap but he isn't coming out with that one.

Quoting luckyone (Reply 40):
Yup, even if I do agree. He's still a politician. Most apropos here, my father and grandfather both say/said that "the only thing more crooked than a preacher is a politician." Right now we're watching a dance between them.

To jab the catholic's, politicians (unless Republican*) cheat with their secretaries or Interns. They don't molest children, what could be more crooked than that.

* Larry Craig wide stance joke

Quoting luckyone (Reply 40):
Because somebody, somewhere, decided that someone (usually a man) attached to a church held more authority than non-clerical peons. Never mind that the point of Jesus was that salvation was for ALL. But that's a separate issue for a separate thread.

Jesus = Pinko Commie

Signed,

The Tea Party  
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

D L X

Thu May 10, 2012 1:58 pm

It is not a state issue. Equal rights under the US Constitution has been a federal issue ever since the 14th Amendment made it so.

I'm going to assume everyone here is ready to defend the Constitution, which says this. Right?

RIGHT?

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):
Kudos to Husseien.

This comment is beneath you, Supe.

tommy767

Thu May 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Cute. Kudos to Husseien.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Very cute Barack. If he was so passionate about gay marriage then why didn't he come out and say it before? He just plain sucks.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

WestJet747

Thu May 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Cute. Kudos to Husseien.

So that's what he's going by these days? I hadn't realized  

And I know your spelling is better than that, Superfly...

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 43):
If he was so passionate about gay marriage then why didn't he come out and say it before? He just plain sucks.

What makes you think he's "so passionate"? The guy just said he believes same-sex couples should be able to marry.

If Romney comes out tomorrow with an addition or two to his platform that he hadn't previously publicized, will he "just plain suck" for not announcing so earlier?
Flying refined.

slider

Thu May 10, 2012 3:00 pm

You usually don't see this from Gawker, but it's an intriguing take on Obama's announcement.

http://gawker.com/5909002/barack-oba...bullshit-gay-marriage-announcement

Note how carefully he crafted his statement and the states' rights issue. I wonder if any of the mainstream news outlets will research this as well as this piece actually seems to have...it's a curious slant on it and only exposes the purely political motives of Obama (if there was any doubt, anyhow).

einsteinboricua

Thu May 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Only three words: About freaking time!

It's about time a president took a clear stand on the issue. I wonder how this will affect the campaigns and elections.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Dreadnought

Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 pm

This debate of Gay Marriage has been manipulated to be a diversion, so that we forget the important issues: issues like our economy, the international failures of Obama, the acquisition of an American commercial and retail bank by the Chinese government, the fact that we have no budget, the massive ego of the current leadership (“when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained”, or "Suppose the navy Seals had gone in there and it hadn't been Bin Laden. Suppose they'd been captured or killed. The downside would have been horrible for him"), the fact that we have a corrupt and racist Justice Department. This whole issue should be WAY down the list of priorities.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

mt99

Thu May 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 47):
This debate of Gay Marriage has been manipulated to be a diversion,

Are you channeling Karl Rove in 2004? Forget the wars - its "traditional families" whats important.

Of course its political, just like its political for Romney to come out an express his objection.

flipdewaf

Thu May 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 38):
Us hetero-sexuals have ruined marriage anyway, it really has no significance when the divorce rate it over 50%. Let the gays have a go with it to see if they can do a better job I say.

LOL, best comment of this thread so far!

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 43):
Yeah my thoughts exactly. Very cute Barack. If he was so passionate about gay marriage then why didn't he come out and say it before? He just plain sucks.

So unless obama did something as soon as he came into office then it doesn't count as what he really wants? Maybe there should be an election every 4 years but the president is only in office for the first because after that its just pandering.

Fred

D L X

Thu May 10, 2012 4:00 pm

To all those conservative posters complaining that Obama is being politically opportunistic, pot, meet kettle.

Romney in 1994: "The Gay Community Needs More Support from the Republican Party"
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/romn...eeds-more-support-republican-party