JetBlueGuy2006
Topic Author

How Did You Meet Your Significant Other?

Sun May 13, 2012 2:34 am

Simple question for everyone: How did you meet your significant other?

I have tried the whole online dating sites, with mixed results. I have been able to talk to a few interesting gals, but it just doesn't seem to work out. It is hard for me to get out to bars and the "local scene" as I live in a suburb and public transportation to where I live from those downtowns is not available.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

Braybuddy

RE: How Did You Meet Your Significant Other?

Sun May 13, 2012 4:15 am

In a sauna, of all places. Exactly four years ago I was on my usual Saturday night trawl of the gay scene and I'd fallen asleep alone in one of the cubicles in the main Dublin sauna and woke up, probably after 5am, when the place had quietened down. I went walkabout to see who was around, not expecting much at that time. I walked past a cubicle with an open door and an guy lying on the bed inside. He was wearing a towel, and as I passed, looked-up, and was grinning from ear to ear. I stopped and did a double take. He was nice! I wondered who he was as I'd never seen him before (the gay scene in Dublin is small) so I assumed he was a visitor. I stood opposite the open door and smiled back. He kept on grinning, and, assuming (correctly, as it turned out) that he was on a bit of a buzz, said "hi" and entered the cubicle and started to chat. He was just my type, and when he told me he was from Dublin and was there with his boyfriend I was surprised -- on two levels: one, I'd been doing the bars, clubs and saunas for years and had never seen him before, and two, that if he was with his boyfriend, why was the boyfriend off looking for someone else? This guy was hot! (maybe he's hotter, I thought . . .)

I asked him if he'd like to come back to my place, and after a bit of persuading he agreed, and I couldn't get him to the locker room quickly enough to get dressed, although in his state he was having difficulty remembering where his locker was. Eventually he found it, but realised he couldn't go without telling his boyfriend (they had an open relationship), and decided he'd have to tell him where he was going. It fell apart after that, and, very frustrated, I ended-up leaving on my own as dawn broke.

I put him out of my head after a while (even though he was from Dublin he lived in the southern part of the country, about 120 km away, and, of course, had the boyfriend). Then, about six months later, I was back in the same sauna (last refuge of the desperate, I know) and again around 4 or 5 am happened to be strolling round when this guy came out of a door and walked ahead of me. "I know him", I said to myself, trying hard to remember where I'd seen him before. Pretty quickly I realised who it was, and called out his name. He stopped, turned around and looked at me, paused, and said hello, calling me by my name, which impressed me, I have to say, as he was pretty out-of-it the night I'd met him six months previously. He was going to the smoking area and asked if I'd like to join him, which I did, even though I don't smoke. We had a great chat, and this night he was on his own. He was in the city for an aunt's funeral, and decided to stay the night. I didn't let him get away this time, and he came back to the house and we spent all day Sunday, and Sunday night, together.

In the meantime, he'd split up with his boyfriend and found a girlfriend in his town, so I didn't see him again for another six months, when she was off the scene. Since then he's been coming up to my place almost every weekend. He's a challenge at times, which I suppose is part of the appeal as there's never a dull moment when he's around, although sometimes I wish there were some. Still, he seems to be happy to come up regularly, even though he's 20 years younger, and I'm more than happy with the situation and have no desire to do the bars, clubs or saunas at all, either here or if I'm on holidays, which is a new experience for me. This is why I'm writing this at 4.30 am: he coudn't come up this weekend, so I'm all alone and bored, although not bored enough to do anything about it. He'll be back up again soon . . .

It was 1995 since I last had a significant other, and I really had thought that that was the end of it for me: the gay scene is notorious for its fickleness, and once you get to a certain age you can pretty much forget it. Romance can begin in the most unlikely places, at the most unlikely times, so there's a lesson to be learned here. KEEP TRYING, but not too hard . . . things can sometimes fall nicely into place when you least expect it.

Maverick623

Sun May 13, 2012 5:16 am

Through a mutual friend. She was actually a flight attendant for the first two years I was on the ramp, but we never ran into each other. After a couple of years back in her hometown of SLC, she moved back to PHX and started hanging out with what we call the "Wings" crowd. We flirted around for about 6 months (she was seeing someone, and I wasn't really interested in a relationship at the time), and finally got together around Halloween.

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Thread starter):
I have tried the whole online dating sites, with mixed results.

Dating sites are wayyy overrated. You know those commercials that claim "nearly 1 in 5 relationships now begin online"? "nearly 1 in 5" is a clever way of saying less than 20%.

My advice is to meet someone within your circle of friends. It's much, much easier to break the ice, and you're guaranteed to have more in common than some chick from a bar.

Don't date someone just so you have someone to sleep with. Booty calls are ok, but trust me... it gets awkward really fast if you try to make it more than just sex and there's nothing there.

Oh, and relax. You'll know when the right girl shows up.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

bananaboy

Sun May 13, 2012 5:38 am

Online, though neither of us can remember which website. He was in California and I was living in the UK. We met and had our first 'date" in Chicago (considered it was about half-way between us). Ended up flying back and forth between the UK and California every other week or so until he found a way to study and work in the UK.

Our 5th wedding anniversary is this July.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 2):
Oh, and relax. You'll know when the right girl shows up.

... and for me, the right person showed up when I wasn't even really looking for it.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

johns624

Sun May 13, 2012 2:00 pm

In Scotland. My friend and I signed up for a MTS hiking trip of the West Highland Way and her and her old college roommate were on the same trip. I was from DTW and she was from LAX. I figured that any woman who can walk 10-12 miles a day in the Highlands when it's cold, rainy and windy and still has a pleasant personality, is the one to marry, so I did.

Aesma

Sun May 13, 2012 2:42 pm

A relationship could begin online without that meaning it was on a dating website. It could be on a forum (like here) or a videogame. On a forum I'm active on we do meet-ups and I got a girlfriend at one of those. Another time it was on that same forum, we were talking on a subject we were both interested in (a car, actually, we had the same one) and it went from there.

Other girls I had I always met doing something I liked and wasn't there looking for it. For example when I was in the chorus at school, or on a church trip for the youth, or sailing, or skydiving. Strolling bars is just for one night stands IMHO, not that that's bad in itself, but not the best start for a relationship.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

fr8mech

Sun May 13, 2012 2:56 pm

College. We shared a couple of classes. I was a non-traditional student (24, working full-time, attending part-time) when I started at this school. She was traditional and we met in her junior year.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

ScarletHarlot

Sun May 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Frosh (orientation) week of university. I was in a heavily male-dominated faculty (math) and during one of the frosh week events there was an n-legged race (3-legged race for 10 people) that needed an equal number of girls and guys on each team. These two guys came up to me and my roomie and asked us to be on their team. The guys invited us to a party later that night. Of course, one of those guys is now my Mr. Harlot!
But that was when I ruled the world

captaink

Sun May 13, 2012 6:42 pm

In a bar. Where were friends for a long time because we were both in relationships (terrible relationships). When broke it off with our exs, we were there for each other through the "pain" etc. Until we finally realized that we are being silly and that we were perfect for each other, hence the long standing relationship we had. We started dating, it was amazing, we were great, and now we are married. I never believed in the soulmate bit, but now I kinda do, because she is the ONE..
There is something special about planes....

connies4ever

Sun May 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Simple question for everyone: How did you meet your significant other?

Which one ?  Wow!

By SO I mean a couple of years, but check my profile and there have been a lot of years already.

Never e-dated, don't go to bars. These are places people go to to be something they're not.

One in undergrad studies, next six where I worked. Current one was working as a short order cook at a cafe near where I work. Usual banter. Sometimes I would come in really early (before 6) to do admin, then go over to the cafe as Jen opened it up and have a denver. I always had a joke for her, sometimes risque, and fairly soon there was a bond, even though she's legally married.

So I asked her to lunch. And, as they say, the rest is history. She's beautiful, sweet, funny in her own right, a hard worker (after cafe hours end she goes and cleans houses for seniors), and cares for anything that if furry with four legs (her English mastiff decided to come along as well). And living in my house. Or our house, I think.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

planejamie

Sun May 13, 2012 7:41 pm

I met my last "partner" (though it only lasted about 12 weeks) through twitter! (I'm a twitter addict) but that was kept quite quiet and stuff (as those of you who have read my thread in this forum will know). He lived in Doncaster and well I lived near Blackpool so we used to meet in Manchester a few times but it didn't really lead any further and he didn't want to do the distance (and I didn't want the risk involved anymore). However, most people my age just want sex and not really a relationship, however I prefer to have a relationship (sex is a bonus of that).

WindowSeat

Sun May 13, 2012 10:07 pm

AIRLINERS.NET!

We'd known each other for a couple of years as A.net 'friends' although we'd never met in person. We lost contact for a while and I'd written him off. Then out of the blue I get a message that he was moving to San Francisco (I was living in San Francisco at the time) and needed to know good neighbourhoods to live in. Finally we met when he moved to San Francisco; we went drinking the first night. It was an eventful night (and no, there was no sex involved). Since then we hung out frequently and don't remember when we crossed over from friends to dating. I do remember when he asked me to be his boyfriend.

I'd always had a crush on him but never thought I'd end up with him. He moved in about a year after we met. We've been happily together for four years now and making long term plans.
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

sccutler

Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 am

Likkered-up at a fraternity party.

I'd met her briefly some months prior but had forgotten her name, and for this reason, failed to properly greet her as she arrived at the party. She got a little drunk, and accused me of forgetting her name (well, guilty as charged, your honor!), so I grabbed her and kissed her. Hardly a wise strategy, but it seems to be working out OK. That was summer of 1980, and I have been married 29+ years. Time flies, but my wife- she's still a babe!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Cadet985

Mon May 14, 2012 3:41 am

My right (or left) hand and I have been together all our lives.

Signed,

99% of a-net

kiwiinoz

Mon May 14, 2012 6:21 am

I was her boss at work. Went to one of our colleagues parties, a few drinks, one thing led to another and ended up in an all night shag fest. Was an interesting day at work the following day.

She's now my wife, (7 years) and we have a beautiful daughter

WildcatYXU

Mon May 14, 2012 2:20 pm

High school. But no, we weren't high school sweethearts. Heck, we didn't even like each other in high school. Started dating only when the school was over.

Now we are married for almost 24 years and have 3 children.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

airportugal310

Mon May 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Quoting sccutler (Reply 12):

I love the honesty.

I'm not married, don't want to be (my choice..too lazy) but I had met my ex/still best friend at a bar. Totally by accident, and glad I decided to go out that night. I didn't feel like it, but was pressured into it.

Let's just say that "tequila makes her clothes fall off" ...
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

Charles79

Mon May 14, 2012 4:56 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 2):
Dating sites are wayyy overrated. You know those commercials that claim "nearly 1 in 5 relationships now begin online"? "nearly 1 in 5" is a clever way of saying less than 20%.

I guess I'm one of the 20% then! I'm a bit shy by nature, hardly dance, and don't drink or smoke, so the bar scene was out of the question (I was also living in Los Angeles at the time and didn't care for the gay scene in West Hollywood as it was filled with nothing but judgemental, superficial, fickle primadonnas). I tried a few of the better known dating sites with mixed results until I tried a lesser known one and found my guy. He had just moved back to LA from Europe and was living with his parents. We chatted briefly online and soon agreed on meeting at a restaurant. The search was over the minute we met - he was exactly my type, I was his type, and the personalities complemented each other well. The second date was a visit to Disneyland and that outing sealed the deal...six years later we're still together (married for the last two), with a house and a cat.

From my experience I wouldn't say that the Internet is a game changer but it is certainly one additional tool available for dating. For the 80% who can find love without it I say good for you, but for the 20% of us who did we are glad it was there!

northstardc4m

Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 pm

I met my fiancee online, dating site... yea... im a
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

AviRaider

Mon May 14, 2012 5:58 pm

If you're religious at all, try you local religious institution. I met my wife through my church's singles group, I wasn't even looking. It always seems to happen when you're not looking; seriously.

Tugger

Mon May 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Quoting Bananaboy (Reply 3):
... and for me, the right person showed up when I wasn't even really looking for it.

Quoting AviRaider (Reply 19):
I met my wife through my church's singles group, I wasn't even looking. It always seems to happen when you're not looking; seriously.

I met my wife "later in life" (in my 30's) through church of all places, we attended the same group (that supports and fixes up the church camp). We had known of each other for most of our lives but NEVER would have considered the other. We just didn't mix in the same circles and I am annoying and she is easily annoyed.   But I do use paper and she likes origami so we were a perfect fit naturally.....

But in the group we had something in common, something to do together, and something to talk about. The next trip up to the mountains (where the camp is) she had an extra seat available in her car and I needed a ride up (right after I dropped the ride I already had set up   ) and after that is was walking with her and her dog in the evenings, and after couple months of dating her (without her knowing it) she started dating me too! Really just a match made in heaven....

And now quite a few years later, with kids, a house in a great neighborhood, friends that we both like, and family that lives in the same region and all get along together, we really couldn't be happier.

I have tried

The toughest part is to not try. I know it is a trite and oft repeated meme but "just be yourself" (though that is tough when you are trying to give a good impression to someone else). For me I made sure I was in situations where I could meet others with common interests doing activities that I liked and enjoyed, that way I was "my best self". And for some strange reason, I lucked out and that crap really worked.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Maverick623

Tue May 15, 2012 11:06 am

Quoting Bananaboy (Reply 3):

Quoting AviRaider (Reply 19):
It always seems to happen when you're not looking; seriously.

That's because you're relaxed. Girls can smell desperation from a mile away, and they generally don't like it.

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 17):
I guess I'm one of the 20% then!

I certainly didn't mean to imply it doesn't ever work (one of my brothers met his wife on a dating website), but it's not the sure-fire thing the TV ads make it out to be.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Kent350787

Tue May 15, 2012 11:33 am

I'd just moved cities and was heading out Oma date with a college girl. One of my new flat mates had invited the brother of a girl one of my other flat mates was studying with over, and he (still at high school) had invited a couple of schoolgirl friends over, one of whom was my wife.

We socialized in the same circles for a few months, and then one of her friends tasked her with keeping me away from her. We got talking and almost 25 years later are still together.

Northwest727

Tue May 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 15):
High school. But no, we weren't high school sweethearts. Heck, we didn't even like each other in high school. Started dating only when the school was over.

Ha...sounds like my fiance. We "met" after I moved and transferred schools. I was in the 6th grade and was 11 years old, and so was she. We never talked throughout middle and high school. We graduated, and it wasn't until my junior year of college that we started talking on Facebook, and developed a crush on me. She finally admitted to wanting a relationship with me, and we hit it off. 4 years later, we are now engaged.

zippyjet

Tue May 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 1):
In a sauna, of all places. Exactly four years ago I was on my usual Saturday night trawl of the gay scene and I'd fallen asleep alone in one of the cubicles in the main Dublin sauna and woke up, probably after 5am, when the place had quietened down. I went walkabout to see who was around,

More power to you. Did you actually crash inside the sauna? If you did I give you props for being able to walk and talk much less meet your S/O.

This backs up that old Alan Funt (Candid Camera) quote: When you least expect it; somewhere, sometime, someplace... I met many of my ex girlfriends and ex-wife when I least expected it.

One of my ex's who I was considering tying the not; we met of all places in a dingy student Union (U of. Md. at College Park) in the dingy TV room. This was December 7, 1978. And all due to the soap All My Children! As a matter of fact she's on my Facebook page. Just look under my FB profile page for Andrea S.

[Edited 2012-05-15 14:20:18]
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

gocaps16

Wed May 16, 2012 12:17 pm

I first met my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) back in 2008 at an Japanese- English conversational class while she was a college student at Tohuku University in Sendai, Japan. I was 25 at the time. We hooked up, talked for a bit trying to understand her not so great english and her trying to understand my not so great broken japanese. After our time in the class near the campus, we walked to the city until 3AM realizing that we were both soooo tired so we found a nice hotel for the night. The next day I had to go back where I was living in Aomori at the time. We exchanged phone numbers and emails. The week later, she took the Shinkansen up to Aomori and came and visit me for the weekend and eventually she moved in with me after many weekend trips travelling back and forth for a few months and a year after I met her, we got engaged and eventually got married a few months later.

jwhite9185

Wed May 16, 2012 7:47 pm

I have tried the whole online dating sites, with mixed results. I have been able to talk to a few interesting gals, but it just doesn't seem to work out. It is hard for me to get out to bars and the "local scene" as I live in a suburb and public transportation to where I live from those downtowns is not available.

I find girls on dating sites are all after 100% perfect... not realising that 100% perfect doesn't exist. I've been on plenty of first dates but very few 2nd.

The main thing is, I'm not really into the whole clubbing/drinking thing which seems to be the normal way to meet people and the normal thing to do. therefore when I tell people that i'd rather save my money and go on a plane somewhere at the weekend than go for a 'big' night out, they think I'm some sort of freak (and yes, I have been called that before!). When i went to Dublin a few weeks back, i thought id do the traditional Irish thing of going for a pint of Guinness in an Irish bar - felt totally out of place and left after just one to go out and take some pictures around the city, which i found much more enjoyable.

Working in a factory with only 2 women means I'm unlikely to meet anybody at work either.

So reading through this thread has proven to me that there are options out there other than online dating or doing something i don't really want to be doing.

Still a little frustrating that I've been single for so many years though. Nothing that i want more than to go on one of my weekend trips with somebody special!
@mytripreport

DeltaMD90

Wed May 16, 2012 9:52 pm

My story isn't interesting. Met her my first day of college, got engaged on our 3.25 year anniversary (last Friday!) Like others, I've had my best luck when I'm not looking so stop looking! 
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Tugger

Wed May 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 27):
My story isn't interesting. Met her my first day of college, got engaged on our 3.25 year anniversary (last Friday!) Like others, I've had my best luck when I'm not looking so stop looking!

Last Friday? That's awesome!

Big, huge congratulations to you and your bride to be DeltaMD90!!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

MD11Engineer

Wed May 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 24):
This backs up that old Alan Funt (Candid Camera) quote: When you least expect it; somewhere, sometime, someplace... I met many of my ex girlfriends and ex-wife when I least expected it.

I fully agree, it is the same with me.

I met my Missus when I was working in Ireland, though at the time I already had handed in my notice and accepted a better paid job in Germany.
I was still married at this time to my second (African) ex, though the marriage was in shambles. She obviously enjoyed my absence from home (to earn money because at the time I went to Ireland there were no jobs available in Germany in my profession ), with a monthly cheque sent by me for her to spend (I´m quite sure she had another guy on the side while I was away). She also turned from moderate Muslim to fundamentalist biblethumping born again Christian.

Now back to my current Missus: A Filipino colleague and myself had some business to do in Dublin (myself, I had to see the IAA for some licence issues, while my colleague had an interview with FR). He also wanted to introduce me to his girlfriend, who was living in DUB. Well, the evening we went out one evening and his girlfriend brought her best friend with her. Both of them were Filipinas working as nurses in Ireland. While she was quite shy, we got into talking, but just as aquaintances. About two weeks later I returned to Germany to be greeted by my ex with "Why did you come back here?". I still kept loose contact with the Filipina nurse and, after I seperated from my ex, I visted her again. By and by, over the next two years it developed into a serious realtionship, and almost twelve years later we are still together. My colleague and his girlfriend have split up long ago (she is still my fiancée´s best friend).

While we are not married on paper and live in a long distance relationship (her in Ireland, me in Germany), we are effectively a married couple. At least we live like it.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ikramerica

Wed May 16, 2012 10:50 pm

eHarmony. Turns out we lived a block apart. Now married coming up on a year.  
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

soon7x7

Thu May 17, 2012 1:49 am

I stole her from a creep I didn't like...it's now been 20 years! 

zippyjet

Thu May 17, 2012 2:50 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 29):
ation related posts only!
Aviation related? Use the other forums

I'm glad you ditched the dodo. And congrats on your current S.O. Does she have any cute friends? I hope you at least play Nurse/patient with your current partner. If I were in your shoes, I'd have her star as the naughty nurse wearing a very skimpy white get up. My imagination runs in overdrive.

N1120A

Thu May 17, 2012 10:08 pm

We were staying in the same hostel room in London in 2005 - the same year I met a ton of current and former members of A.net. I was chatting with her travel partner, a nice but not-my-type girl from Boston, who was waiting for her to return. In walks the most beautiful woman ever and I think "no chance buddy." The next morning, the two of them walk into my room - the hostel had changed their room to the one I was in. Two years together, then two and some change apart. Been back together for two and a half and no end in sight. Lots of FF miles and status from commuting between LAX and YYZ.

[Edited 2012-05-17 15:09:18]
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Ps76

Thu May 17, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi!

I'm not too sure about online dating either. I tried it once and only had one woman interested in me and she looked like my aunt! I'm sure you'll get better results though but I have a friend who found his now fiance with online dating and to be honest I'm not too impressed with her. Personally I think she's way too flirty with other guys but he seems happy so I'm not really going to interfere.

Personally I haven't dated anyone in a long long time but my last long time girlfriend I met one night at a University drinks do. Then I made a small card and put it under her door (how romantic!). She wondered who wrote the card and when she found out we got talking and things led on from there. I don't have the confidence to walk up to girls in bars and clubs and take them home so I have to go for more subtle ways which I can manage.

But to be honest don't listen to me. I haven't dated a woman for over 10 years!

Pierre

ikramerica

Thu May 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 34):
I'm not too sure about online dating either. I tried it once and only had one woman interested in me and she looked like my aunt!

It took me seven years of online dating to find someone. Didn't give up on in person dating in the meantime, just one of many ways to meet people you may not otherwise meet.

I met one woman 9 years ago who is a best friend now, after only one date knowing she wasn't my type but was a cool person so we kept hanging out. And then 2 years ago my wife. And lots of misfires between the two!
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

BestWestern

Fri May 18, 2012 1:14 am

I met my first wife in university on her 18th Birthday, and now know her 20 years! - And she's still my wife!
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

zippyjet

Fri May 18, 2012 4:31 am

Internet dating in theory is a wide and new open frontier; however there are too many unscrupulous people out there. Especially some of the Asian dating sights. You get built up only to be torn down and buried. 99.9% are scamming. Many times it's not even the actual girl. It could be some slimecock with a hairy body running a rip off. When they mention the WU word, that means head for the emergency exit. The WU being Western Union (wiring money for a travel/paperwork person to get her over here etc. process her). You may as well take that money and go to Atlantic City or Vegas and gamble. You have a better chance at not losing your shirt, and for that matter underwear in the process.

HorizonGirl

Fri May 18, 2012 5:30 am

Quoting WindowSeat (Reply 11):
AIRLINERS.NET!

One day I was really missing flying and was reading trip reports. I started reading one, and absolutely fell in love with the author's writer's voice. I sent him a message just letting him know how much I enjoyed it. We started talking, and to say we hit it off would be the understatement of the century. But he was so far away, I thought the only way I would ever have him was in my dreams. That was two years ago, and now we're happily together and I've never been happier.  

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

phette

Fri May 18, 2012 3:38 pm

In the 7th grade, went to 7th and 8th grade together than went our seperate ways and didnt did not see each other after. I ran off to the Naval Academy, he stayed in our home town and went to the church-college (that was apart of the Lutheran school we had both attended) after spending 17 years in the Navy I discovered facebook and found all of my friends from that year (we all were a pretty tight knit group while I was there) started talking almost 5 hours a night online/phone for about 6 months than I decided to fly to MSP and so it's progressing from there rather well I must say   Now I am working on moving up there permanetly.

Revelation

Fri May 18, 2012 5:01 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 37):
Many times it's not even the actual girl.

Yes, and as you point out, many times it's not an actual girl!

One of my ex-friends was doing the online dating thing with a hot female doctor in Russia. I was telling him it was a scam but I thought it was harmless. Luckily when he got to the Western Union stage, of all things he chose to call the US State Department to see if her request for money to get a visa was valid! Of course they told him chances were that it was not! I guess God does look out for drunks and idiots, well at least some of the time...

Funny thing was that he was so taken in, he had already told his friends, family and co-workers about this great girl from Russia that was going to fly all the way to the US to meet him. He had already taken the day off work to go to pick her up from the airport!

She told him that she had taken the train from her small city to Moscow, and the authorities would not let her travel to the US without paying $1200 and the he must wire it to her right now!

She (he?) picked the wrong person. He couldn't raise $1200 if he sold all his worldly goods, including his body parts, which have lots of wear and tear due to lots of smoking and drinking...

After, he email'd me the name of this 'person', the location s/he gave, and a few photos, and with 10 seconds of googling I had the exact photos from google, posted by others that were scammed by this 'person'.

Moral of the story: scammers are scamming so many people at the same time they can't be bothered to make up a new story for each scam. Do a bit of googling on anything you encounter on-line, and if it's a scam, chances are pretty good someone else has already fallen victim and has posted their story on-line too.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

Braybuddy

Fri May 18, 2012 8:56 pm

More power to you. Did you actually crash inside the sauna? If you did I give you props for being able to walk and talk much less meet your S/O.

I'm a light sleeper! And when you come across someone who jumps out at you (metaphorically speaking) you do go into overdrive, you know . . .

So, so true. We're at our most appealing when we're relaxed and not reeking of desperation.  

Ken777

Fri May 18, 2012 9:26 pm

I took the hard way - served in the Navy and met my wife on a blind date during an Australian R&R. A friend was dating a girl he met at an Australian/American Club and this gal set me up with the blind date. I was bright enough to understand just what a special lady she was and things sort of worked out over the next 6 months.

The hard way was the limited time together, and the 6 month deployment 10 weeks after getting married.

Considering that we have been married for 43 years I can say that it was well worth the challenges.

One should note, however, that YMMV. I recommend the Navy as the best service to serve in, but make no guarantees on the chances of you being as lucky.  

zippyjet

Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 40):
Moral of the story: scammers are scamming so many people at the same time they can't be bothered to make up a new story for each scam. Do a bit of googling on anything you encounter on-line, and if it's a scam, chances are pretty good someone else has already fallen victim and has posted their story on-line too.

They actually have a web site that has a rogues gallery of scammer profiles. I forgot the web address but Google it and it will come up. Chances are this "luscious Russian Doctor" will have a star profile on this list. I wonder if Western Union is getting the fallout? I'm waiting for someone to go postal on them. Though they are just a business and a third party. Western Union mentioned is instant red flags and warnings.

DocLightning

Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 pm

I met my hubby on a dating website for gay men.

OK, to be fair, "dating" is an optimistic description of the purpose of that website, but let's just say that neither of us was hunting for an LTR. The thing about LTR's is that you can't go looking for one or you will find the wrong one. The right one will sneak up behind you when you have your guard down, club you over the head, and drag you off to its lair.

3.5 years later, here we are, rings on fingers. The only thing stopping us from actually getting married is...well...that's for another thread.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Revelation

Fri May 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 44):
The right one will sneak up behind you when you have your guard down

That's what us non-gays are most afraid of! 

DocLightning

Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 45):
That's what us non-gays are most afraid of!

Of who... him? Oh, don't worry. He's harmless.     
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PHX787

Sat May 19, 2012 3:38 am

Well i'm single now (see my other thread about my buddy's ex gf) and have been for a while, but I've been seeing girls around since I broke up with my Japanese ex back in September. I was sleeping with my ex for a while till she decided to date someone else, and for like the entire month of April, I was sleeping with a girl i met at a concert. She decided she didn't want to be friends with benefits and we've been just going from there, albeit with some awkwardness. I don't particularly like getting involved with American chicks because I know how they act   

I met my ex from Japan when I was over there for 6 weeks last year. I met her at my buddy Yuta's cafe in Takadanobaba, near the prestigious Waseda. Sure, the entire 6 weeks, I went on various dates with different girls and what not, but the one thing I ran into quite a bit was the age....they all thought I was 25 or something.
I am 20.
I met my ex when I had about 10 days left into my trip and we immediately (and I mean IMMEDIATELY) went on a few dates, and it seemed to click quite well. She was really into me, despite her being 27 and me being 19 at the time (I repeated that to her many times, she didn't care, I was getting laid so I didn't care.)
My last full day in Japan before I came back to Phoenix was amazing. Spent the entire morning, afternoon, and evening with her. I wish I had more days like this with more girls while I was over there. She cried when I dropped her off at Shinjuku station before I went to my buddy's cafe one last time.
The day I got back to Phoenix we continued emailing each other, which I thought was fine, but she became obsessive over me and demanded I flew back to Japan. After about 3 weeks of dealing with this, I told her that we had to break up. I didn't want to be in a full long distance relationship in the first place and she was being more irate, so it was pretty sad, and I feel awful for her.

I've been single since, and have had to deal with total douchebags stealing girls I liked from me ever since. Do I regret breaking up with her for that reason? Of course not. She was probably looking to settle down and marry. I'm too young for that shit.

Oh well. I'm going back to Japan this summer and of course my good friend Kirsten, the blonde, is coming back home from Arkansas tonight. I also met her at a concert, to answer the OP's question.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Revelation

Sat May 19, 2012 3:53 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 47):
see my other thread about my buddy's ex gf

After reading this reply, it's even more clear you are still playing the field and shouldn't go near your buddy's ex since chances are damn good you'll end up with both of them out of your life pretty quick.

PITingres

Sat May 19, 2012 5:08 am

Mine was at work. Big shakeup, company bought by mid-western telecom, merger savings by eliminating duplication of effort (meaning, accounting), etc. She was the accounts payable supervisor, job vanished, she moved to software administrative secretary. Someone took her around to do introductions, I was in a friend's office, and she was the one. She remembers what I was wearing when we were introduced, I just remember the face and eyes.  

One minor stumbling block, I went to ask her out the next day and there was a picture of her child on her desk! crap ... but as it turned out, her marriage wasn't working out, and since then we've been together almost 30 years (and 4 kids).

This thread has been particularly interesting to me, because I've wondered whether the same sort of "this is the one" attraction works regardless of sexual orientation. The answer (not surprisingly) appears to be yes.

And, to the OP: you might take some small comfort in knowing that this all happened when I was at least a year older than you are (according to your profile). At age 25 I had reconciled myself to being a bachelor, couldn't stand the bar scene, hadn't met anyone, etc. By age 29 I had 4 kids (2 ours, 1 hers, 1 theirs). As others have said, just be yourself, and he or she will eventually show up. (My little brother met his loved one at age 45...!)

One last note: while it's conventional to speak in terms of The One (I've done it myself), please don't imagine that the odds are 1 in 7 billion. It's pretty clear to me that for any given person, there are quite a few "matches" out there. It's just that the no-matches and the not-quite-good-enough matches way outnumber the real thing.
Fly, you fools! Fly!