Tugger

Pet Peeves - What Bugs You? (non Political Thread)

Mon May 14, 2012 9:34 pm

A simple thread on the day to day things you see and encounter that bug you. Not big things, just two or three (four, five?   ) of the little things you see that annoy you.

For me I'll throw out:

Trailer hitches that are removable but that people never remove. There is a reason they are removable folks (primarily because it is illegal to have anything extend beyond your bumper, but that beside the point), they are not supposed to be there permanently, you can put them on when you are going to tow something.

and

People who always have their blu-tooth headset on their ear. It's like it is some kind of necessity or fashion accessory! At dinner with families, at church, everywhere. Will you please remove it when you aren't using it and just be a human being? You can put back if you get/make a call.

(Apparently I have an issue with temporary vs permanent things. This will make my therapy much easier!    )

So what bugs you?

Tugg

[Edited 2012-05-14 14:39:26]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

planejamie

RE: Pet Peeves - What Bugs You? (non Political Thread)

Mon May 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Well I'm a little bit OCD about a few things (such as in the UK almost every socket has an on/off switch and if it's on with no plug in, I have to switch it off, there are a few other things, such as leaving the TV volume on a multiple of 5)

But the big things that annoy me are:

1) Loud ignorant people that are normally incredibly opinionated and don't realise how offensive they are

2) Chavs (if you're British, you'll understand this!) - I live near Blackpool, that's one of the most chavtastic places on earth

3) Twitter unfollowers (sounds petty but I'm a twitter addict and well it annoys me when I see my follower number drop!)

TupolevTu154

Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 pm

There is an infinate amount of stuff on the roads that winds me up. But right at the top of the list is Sat Navs. They are the root of all evil.

Hogging the middle lane? Sat nav.
Not indicating to turn a corner? Sat nav.
Driving half the limit holding up several others? Sat nav.
Swerving all over the road? Sat nav.

If you're lost, PULL OVER. Get out of everyone elses way and take your time figuring out where you are. Don't endanger your life and everyone elses because of your inability to navigate without a computerised voice telling you what to do.

Aesma

Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 pm

People that don't go to the right lane of the highway even when they're slower than everything else.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

akiss20

Mon May 14, 2012 10:02 pm

People who say RPMs (with the s) annoy the shit out of me. It's built into the damn acronym!   
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

aloges

Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 pm

carelessness

If you're going to do something, do at least attempt to make a good job of it. It doesn't have to be perfect, but please make it obvious that you cared.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

hOMSaR

Mon May 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Quoting tugger (Thread starter):
People who always have their blu-tooth headset on their ear. It's like it is some kind of necessity or fashion accessory! At dinner with families, at church, everywhere. Will you please remove it when you aren't using it and just be a human being? You can put back if you get/make a call.

Worst example was a distant cousin I saw who had one in her ear at my aunt's wake.

Quoting planejamie (Reply 1):
3) Twitter unfollowers (sounds petty but I'm a twitter addict and well it annoys me when I see my follower number drop!)

What's your twitter handle? I'll follow you (then maybe drop you later).

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 2):
Don't endanger your life and everyone elses because of your inability to navigate without a computerised voice telling you what to do.

There was a time when people had to know how to read a map. Then the internets came, and all they hads to do was type in their origin and destination, and it would tell them how to get there. Then, with GPS, now people wind up turning their butts onto railroad tracks because the thing says "turn right" and they can't pull their head out of their ass long enough to actually see where they're turning.

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 4):
People who say RPMs (with the s) annoy the shit out of me.

RPM as in rotations/revolutions per minute, revenue passenger-miles? Or just abbreviations that are pluralized in general?
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.

PHX787

Mon May 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Will you please remove it when you aren't using it and just be a human being? You can put back if you get/make a call.

I just leave mine in my car. It annoys me too.

1) Loud ignorant people that are normally incredibly opinionated and don't realise how offensive they are

There's this guy at my school who 1) hasn't been to Japan 2) thinks he is a total Ph. D on Japan 3) Criticizes me for loving Japan so much. Hey dude, when you write 25 research papers on Japan, I'll give you credit.

I'm that way for Facebook friends. When I see my number drop down, it pisses me off   

Quoting Aesma (Reply 3):
People that don't go to the right lane of the highway even when they're slower than everything else.

Or left lane in Japan   

Mine:
Anybody who thinks Jersey Shore is the shit (which at ASU is quite a lot of people)
Anybody who tells me metal music is not music, when all they listen to is hip hop
Anybody who cuts me off on the 60 in Phoenix
Democrats    (sorry!)
When my iPod doesn't charge when I plug it in and I want to listen to music
When I run out of food in my fridge
Whenever the police bust my neighbors for smoking pot.

I have quite a bit.   
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Gingersnap

Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 2):

There is an infinate amount of stuff on the roads that winds me up. But right at the top of the list is Sat Navs. They are the root of all evil.

Hogging the middle lane? Sat nav.
Not indicating to turn a corner? Sat nav.
Driving half the limit holding up several others? Sat nav.
Swerving all over the road? Sat nav.

If you're lost, PULL OVER. Get out of everyone elses way and take your time figuring out where you are. Don't endanger your life and everyone elses because of your inability to navigate without a computerised voice telling you what to do.

Just sounds like bad driving to me.

I use a sat nav from time to time, and I've never done any of those things. There is no need to drive recklessly when using a sat nav. That's why you're supposed to set it up before you start moving.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

luckyone

Mon May 14, 2012 11:29 pm

Stroller brigades on public transit at 4:30 in the afternoon...and on a similar vein, people who get on the bus only to get off three blocks later.

People who need someone else to push the "Think" button on their brain.

People who use the elevator to change one floor.

People who cop an attitude with you because you don't speak their language...in your country.

[Edited 2012-05-14 16:35:24]

NoUFO

Mon May 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Pulling a jacket off the hanger causing the hanger to fall down or - worse - to pull other clothes left or right half off their hangers.

Officialese - this bloathed and complicated language!

Quoting aloges (Reply 5):
carelessness

I wouldn't call that a pet peeve.
I support the right to arm bears

hoons90

Mon May 14, 2012 11:37 pm

People who blast loud music on the subway
People who put their feet up (with shoes on) on the subway seats
Automated switchboards with unnecessarily long introductions
People who hold elevator doors for over a minute while they wait for someone to come
People who merge hesitantly onto the highway
Embraer E-Jet cargo holds
Navitaire OpenSkies DCS
People who recline during meal service
Radio stations that play "Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know" every 20 minutes
Changing radio stations only to hear that song again
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

cpd

Mon May 14, 2012 11:48 pm

- Loud music on the train through those little white Apple earphones - seriously, you might not hear others, but we can hear your music - clearly and loudly and it is annoying.

- No feet on the seats please! There is a fine for that here.

- Bags on the seat on crowded trains. Have you got a ticket for your bag to be on the seat beside you?

- People who grab the last seat on the train ahead of those who've already been standing for a much longer time. That ticks me off. I mean really, I was on the train long before you were. Wait your turn.

- OFFICE WHISTLING! This drives me MAD!!!!! Seriously, go outside and do it if you must. Is it some sort of "brogrammer" (that's not a typo - that's a real term) code of conduct that you must walk around the office whistling and clicking your fingers? It's seriously distracting and very bad etiquette. It's even worse when they are loud and you are on the phone, hence you must interrupt your phone call to ask them to be quiet.

- And on that note, people conducting loud meetings at their desks. Book a meeting room and use that. We want peace and quiet to do our work without being distracted by your meeting.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 7):
I'm that way for Facebook friends. When I see my number drop down, it pisses me off

Easy fixed - just don't use Facebook or Twitter, then your number won't drop down - and you won't get pissed off.  Smile

[Edited 2012-05-14 16:53:43]

photopilot

Mon May 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 3):

Fine and good but when you live in a place (Toronto) where the highway morons have designed the right lane to END as it becomes the off ramp. Yes, that's correct.... unless you keep moving lanes to the left you'll find yourself off the highway. Just plain DUMB DESIGN!      

Other Peeves....

- People who try to push their way onto the subway before you can get out the doors.
- Traffic lights that aren't synchronized on major roads when driven at the speed limit.
- cold coffee.... warm beer.

2707200X

Tue May 15, 2012 12:19 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 7):
Democrats

It took a Republican/conservative to break the rule.

Stupid people like the tan mom, she always makes the TMZ blog with her barely coherent speech and logic, black-face like facial appearance with hay colored hair and a body that looks like a half squeezed tube of toothpaste. Remember Prinze von Anhalt. also Lindsay Lohan, Courtney Stodden, Christina Aguilera, Chris Brown and the Kardashians.

Slow drivers on the damn road.

Red light stops at every intersection.

Schools with out of control zero-tolerance policies. What used to send you to the principles or VP's office ten or fifteen years ago now sends you to police station with "little hand-cuffs" on. How about those no hugging policies between students...and yet ignore persistent bulling as "boys will be boys". Kids spend six-seven hours at school lets make it about learning and sensible companionship not about sterility and punishment.

Sales calls.

Store solicitors. Half of them seem like shysters. I have seen people who say save the Congolese children in one week and the next week the same people say save the women in India from dowry deaths. One guy smelt like pot, some of the solicitors wear sunglasses.

Texting and calling on the cell phone while driving, I still see it all the time.

Car alarms
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

WestJet747

Tue May 15, 2012 12:23 am

I have an infinite number of pet peeves, not many of which I encounter on a daily basis though. But here's the few that I could think of:

1. People that write "common" when saying "come on". Are these people so oblivious that they don't realize that "common" is actually a word in the English language that is in no way synonymous with "come on"?! I call my friends out on this all the time, and they get mad at ME for correcting their butchering of their native tongue.

2. Teenage kids (or even guys in their 20s) who think they're "gangsta" and act like they're "from the hood" when I know for a fact they were raised by a normal, middle-class family in the suburbs. I don't know who they think they're fooling, it's clearly nobody important. Enjoy your career at KFC fellas.

3. Groups of friends that walk down the hallways of my university side-by-side, taking up the entire width, slowly, so that nobody can pass. Why don't people have places to go?! I wish I had the time while at school to just lazily walk around campus side-by-side with my friends. I've been there for four, going on five, years and I'm very close to finally snapping and punching one of them in the back of the head.

Quoting photopilot (Reply 13):
Fine and good but when you live in a place (Toronto) where the highway morons have designed the right lane to END as it becomes the off ramp.

I can assure you this is not a Toronto thing, it's an everywhere in Canada thing. Everywhere I've lived in Canada anyway.

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 14):
Courtney Stodden

I'm still trying to figure out how she got famous. At least Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian worked for it in their sex tapes. Courtney Stodden is just...in existence. I can't name a single show/movie/song/anything that she is known for.
Flying refined.

hOMSaR

Tue May 15, 2012 12:24 am

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 11):
Automated switchboards with unnecessarily long introductions

I think I posted this in a similar thread a few months ago:

Voice mail greetings -
Person: Hi, you've reached so and so, the such and such manager at this or that company. I'm not able to answer the phone right now, so if you would please leave your name, number and a brief message, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Computer: Please leave a message after the tone. When you are finished recording, you can hang up, or press 1 for more options.

First off, I know you're not able to answer the phone, that's why I got your voice mail. Second, I think everybody who has ever used a phone before knows how to leave a message, so there's no need to explain in an overly-long greeting exactly what information I'm supposed to include in my voice mail. Third, WHO THE HELL EVER PRESSES 1 FOR MORE OPTIONS? Why does every damn voice mail now have to include an hour-long computer greeting telling us how to leave a message, after the hour-long human greeting telling us how to leave a message?
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.

danielmyatt

Tue May 15, 2012 12:32 am

My main gripe is bad spelling and poor grammar. The worst one for me has to be "I could care less", it is exactly the opposite to what you're trying to get across. You should be saying "I couldN'T care less".

But apart from that; bad drivers, loud people, poor manners, and "banter".

Oooh and, people who think that you should automatically give them respect (this invariably applies to older people, who some reason, think being old is excuse enough to lord it over everyone else). Respect is earned my friend, not given.

Edit; and pensioners who feel the need to go shopping in Tesco's on the weekend even though it's the busiest time of the week... You've got all bloody week to go, why don't you come on a Tuesday afternoon when nobody is around?

And people who rush to get infront of you then walk as slow as a bleeding funeral procession.

And, breathe.

[Edited 2012-05-14 17:37:47]

[Edited 2012-05-14 17:50:33]

PHX787

Tue May 15, 2012 12:43 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 9):
People who need someone else to push the "Think" button on their brain.

I push their brain's think button---with my fist.  
Quoting luckyone (Reply 9):
People who use the elevator to change one floor.

There's 5 or 6 snobby girls who do that in my apartment and it seems to be every time I ride the elevator. Stop being lazy!

Embraer E-Jet cargo holds

What's wrong with them?

People who merge hesitantly onto the highway

Or don't stop at the ramp meter when everybody else does, or blows through the ramp meter when you go through legally and they pass you on the shoulder

Quoting cpd (Reply 12):
Easy fixed - just don't use Facebook or Twitter,

Impossible   too many connections outside of the country

It took a Republican/conservative to break the rule.

Quoting danielmyatt (Reply 17):
Respect is earned my friend, not given.

DocLightning

Tue May 15, 2012 12:44 am

There are signs all up and down I-80 that say "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT."

My pet peeve is when people ignore said signs.

People who don't understand that the WAIST of a pair of pants is worn around your WAIST (or hips, at least) and NOT AROUND YOUR KNEES.

Parents who bring their kids to me because: "he's got a cold." OK, if you know that, you also know there's not a cure, so why are you exposing my entire waiting room to your kid's cold?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

akiss20

Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 am

Quoting homsar (Reply 6):
RPM as in rotations/revolutions per minute, revenue passenger-miles? Or just abbreviations that are pluralized in general?

Revolutions per minute. Never even realized the acronym revenue passenger-miles, but I am on the technical side not the business side 
Quoting homsar (Reply 16):
Computer: Please leave a message after the tone. When you are finished recording, you can hang up, or press 1 for more options.

Dear god yes. If you don't know how a freaking answering machine works, I don't think you should be allowed in public. It frustrates me to no end that I have to wait for it to say that everytime (yes I know I am impatient, I am part of the now now now generation, but it gets stuff done!   )
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

hoons90

Tue May 15, 2012 12:54 am

Quoting homsar (Reply 16):

Some more:

People who try to squeeze through closing doors on the subway, causing them to open again (and repeat 5x) - Happens ALL the time at 42nd Street-Times Square and 14th St - Union Square stations.
The A-Train running local
When the bus is running late, and three of them show up at the same time
Waiting over 30 minutes to get a table at a restaurant--The food better be good!
Going to a pub for chicken wings and getting deep fried battered bones
Having to wait three hours to get my driver's license renewed and not knowing when you're next because the ticket numbers are alphanumeric (A14, B112, C105 etc.)
University classrooms/lecture halls with unserviceable A/C and it's really hot and humid
Lecturers who simply read off their PowerPoint slides
Students playing MMORPGs during lectures
Students talking during lectures -- This one annoys me the most, don't know why I left it out earlier
ScanTron
Three-hour lectures

[Edited 2012-05-14 17:55:39]
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

hoons90

Tue May 15, 2012 1:01 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 18):
What's wrong with them?

They have incredibly low ceilings (around 3.5ft) that also have metal cages that house the fire suppression system and lights. Have to be careful to not bang your head against it and get an OJI.

L1011

Tue May 15, 2012 1:21 am

Restaurants and other places with widescreen TVs which show everything in stretch mode. Don't they know how to set it in the correct format? Some hotel rooms have widescreen TVs with no way to change the format. I don't want to see the people looking squashed and fat, especially if it features a beautiful actress. The 3 usual formats are 4:3, letterbox, and anamorphic. What's so difficult about that?

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

fr8mech

Tue May 15, 2012 1:30 am

Stupid, common grammar errors. I mean, I'm not perfect, but pay attention. You seem like an idiot when you can't tell the difference between there, their and they're or your and you're.

To a lesser extent, spelling. Especially on something that is published for the world to read. Heck, I just read a description for a product that is designed to interpret a code, but the description read 'interrupt'. And, you want me to buy your product?

Oh yeah, doctors that think they know my body and how to interpret my symptoms better than me. I know it's a cold. I know you can't do anything about the cold. But, I need something for the cough (and I hate to tell you, but the OTC stuff doesn't touch my cough), so I can sleep and you may as well prescribe the steroids for later because the damn cough won't go away and I don't want to have to come for another visit and waste your time. Every freaking year it's the same thing...with the same Doc. But, otherwise, he's cool.

Sorry, one more thing...stupid pop-up surveys just like the one that just popped up on the screen.

[Edited 2012-05-14 18:37:00]

[Edited 2012-05-14 18:38:30]
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

danielmyatt

Tue May 15, 2012 1:55 am

Stupid names... I'm just watching the NBA playoff (can't sleep) and this guy for LA is apparently called World Peace, a google search tells me he changed his name from Ron Artest (pretty bad to begin with) to Metta World Peace. I could list all of the things wrong with this...

So I shall;

Where did he get Metta from?

If World Peace is his surname, surely it should be double barrelled?

He changed his name to get kids all over the world to "come together"    impossible, because nobody outside the US gives 2 big ones about basketball/has heard of this guy,

It's just a rip of of Ochocinco,

Why? Just why?

MrChips

Tue May 15, 2012 2:03 am

Should of, would of, could of...those drive me absolutely nuts! It's should've, would've, could've! Better yet, why not write "should have", "would have" or "could have"; using contractions in your writing only makes you look lazy and stupid!
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

seb146

Tue May 15, 2012 3:11 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 3):

The left lane of 101 here is variable. That is: certain hours it is carpool but, most hours, it is open. I hate it when people go 50MPH in the left lane when the speed limit is 65. What are these people thinking??

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 4):
People who say RPMs

I am going to the ATM machine to get cash so I can get some jumbo shrimp. Also, I need to call and get my hot water heater fixed.

What bothers me:

1. Morbidly obese people who order a whole pizza or super sized meal as a light snack. STOP EATING!!

2. Neighboring counties who build bridges and add lanes to their freeways in less than two years when our own county has taken four years to add one lane each way for 10 miles. And, it has taken at least 4 years for commuter rail to even think about getting started.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue May 15, 2012 3:33 am

1. People who speed up to get around me only to turn into a driveway like 20 yards after they complete the pass
2. People who leave their blinker on when getting on the highway or after they make a lane change.
3. People who tailgate. If you are in that much of a hurry, leave an extra 5 minutes early.
4. People who don't ask questions. My gait pattern is slightly off due to tight muscles. I hate when they just stare. I would rather you just ask me about it versus looking at me all the way down the isle at the grocery store.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

DocLightning

Tue May 15, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 21):
Lecturers who simply read off their PowerPoint slides
Students playing MMORPGs during lectures

If the lecturer is doing A, then B is a valid use of time. After all, I can read faster than the prof can talk. *shrug*

And yes, reading directly off ppt slides drives me batty.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 27):
What are these people thinking??

And why are they invariably Asian women driving Toyota Siennas? No, I'm not being racist. That's why this surprises me. It's true >80% of the time. Maybe my assumption that I should not be racist is wrong given the available evidence?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

YVRLTN

Tue May 15, 2012 4:35 am

Eating while on the phone

Showing up to work late

Ruining a nice car with a furry steering wheel

Fluffy toys in cars & extra headrests - particularly Hello Kitty ones

People who dont pull forward when there are a pair of gas pumps to the front one, allowing me to use the rear one

When there are two or more lanes and people have to stop at a light in the right hand lane so others cant turn right

Yappy uncontrolled "dogs" (I use the term lightly - real canines would be insulted)

People who have to say awesome, you know, right, like and such things in every sentence

The liquor store which I visit on a weekly basis asking for two pieces of ID each time because their policy states they will ID all under 40 - honestly, you must know my drivers license number off by heart by now, let alone what year I was born - you allowed me to purchase booze every week of the year for the past 6 years, unfortunately I have not got any younger...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

PHX787

Tue May 15, 2012 7:01 am

Quoting danielmyatt (Reply 25):

Ron Artest (his birth name) is a jackass, don't worry about it.

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 28):
1. People who speed up to get around me only to turn into a driveway like 20 yards after they complete the pass

Drivers who cut across 3 lanes of traffic AT THE INTERSECTION to turn right.

TSS

Tue May 15, 2012 8:18 am

Perhaps the people to whom you refer are new Borg assimilants and have only completed phase one of the technology implantation process.  

After careful observation, I've begun to wonder if blu-tooth headsets aren't a clever ruse used by undiagnosed or at least unmedicated schizophrenics so that they can carry on loud, animated conversations with the voices in their head without attracting unwanted attention in public. Seriously, about half the people I see using blu-tooth headsets don't allow nearly enough time in their conversational pauses for a real person on the other end of the line to actually respond in any coherent manner.

Texting and calling on the cell phone while driving, I still see it all the time.

That infuriates me to no end.

Car alarms

Thankfully the cheap aftermarket car alarms that went off every time a mosquito farted seem to have, for the most part, died off.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 30):
People who dont pull forward when there are a pair of gas pumps to the front one, allowing me to use the rear one

I see a lot of people get worked up over that. It's never bothered me. I just go around them and then back into position, no problem. I'm not above dawdling a bit while filling up so that the person who didn't pull forward then has to back up and go around me, though.   

That does bring me to one of my pet peeves- People who attempt to back up using only their rear-view mirrors. Yes, truckers do this all the time, but they have no other option AND they have to demonstrate reasonable competency in this maneuver before they are issued a commercial driver's license.

The liquor store which I visit on a weekly basis asking for two pieces of ID each time because their policy states they will ID all under 40 - honestly, you must know my drivers license number off by heart by now, let alone what year I was born - you allowed me to purchase booze every week of the year for the past 6 years, unfortunately I have not got any younger...

That one I can explain. There are two main reasons why they ask you for ID every time:
1. They are required by their boss and/or the law to do so, and could lose their job if they didn't;
2. Even though you come in every week, there are other people in the store who aren't such regular customers. If the clerk didn't check your ID then they'd hear "But you didn't ask that guy for ID when he checked out!" from heaven only knows how many complete strangers after you leave, and it's a lead pipe cinch that at least one of those complete strangers would complain to the owner or manager of the liquor store about how the clerk cruelly mistreated them by asking them to show ID but not you, which leads directly back to reason #1.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

CrimsonNL

Tue May 15, 2012 9:16 am

People who say aircrafts, it's 1 aircraft, 2 aircraft. Not 2 aircrafts!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

TupolevTu154

Tue May 15, 2012 9:43 am

In the UK the legal drinking age is 18. However one "convenience store" has decided to make their own law and only sell to people aged 21 or over. NO. The national legal age is 18, so stick to it. I'm 20 and if I'm trying to buy a couple of beers to take home, I'm perfectly within my rights to do so. But your over-zealous nighbourhood policing (In what wasn't even a bad neighbourhood to begin with) is infuriating.

Before anybody from the UK chimes in with the "think 21/25" justification, it's bollocks. Even if you show them ID, "Sorry we only sell to over 21's".

One more irritating subject which I haven't seen come up yet - adverts/commercials on TV that try to convince you it's a life changing product. NO. Toothpaste isn't a life changing product. Butter isn't going to give you eternal happiness. Having a party at your house that relvolves around a "revolutionary new toilet roll" is complete bullshit. It's gone to whole new extremes. See this video: http://youtu.be/UEwhgMZkFZk

NO NO NO NO. If I want to wipe my arse I'll use a freaking piece of paper like the rest of the developed world has done for centuries. Nobody sits around discussing how lovely that arse wipe was a couple of hours ago. It's absolutely INFURIATING.

The last example I'm going to give about adverts is one for Flora, a brand of butter in the UK. Basically there's a big summery music festival where there's loads of people on stage singing about butter and they're all sat around eating buttery pieces of bread looking like it's the meaning of life spread on wholemeal. For crying out loud. If butter on bread makes you that happy, that content and that dreamy about life I think you need some help.

And one last thing, DON'T say "But the advertising's working, you're talking about it". Yes I'm talking about how much I can't freaking stand it, and if anything it deters me from ever buying that product because of how crap the advert is.

Rant over.

smittyone

Tue May 15, 2012 10:12 am

Quoting danielmyatt (Reply 17):
Oooh and, people who think that you should automatically give them respect (this invariably applies to older people, who some reason, think being old is excuse enough to lord it over everyone else). Respect is earned my friend, not given.

I wouldn't call myself old, but I have been busting my ass - working, raising my family, paying my taxes etc. longer than you have been alive. So forgive me if I don't feel like I'd need to do anything more in order to "earn" your respect if we ever met. In my mind, I already have earned it...not my fault and not my obligation to make up for the fact that you weren't around to see it.

So on a personal level (professional qualifications is a different matter), I'd expect you as a much younger man to show some level of deference to my experience and the dues I have paid until I gave you a reason to think I was a douche.

And if you did you would earn a lot of my respect in return. Because really, how else could you earn my respect at this point? Would you want me to wait twenty years until you've really accomplished something?

IMO respect is given until found to be undeserved. I guess my pet peeve would be people who don't recognize this.

[Edited 2012-05-15 03:25:57]

danielmyatt

Tue May 15, 2012 10:26 am

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 35):

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be horrible to a person till they have "earned" my respect, hell, I don't care if they hate me, but if somebody is trying to boss me about simply because they're older than me under the premise that you should "respect your elders" I'll tell them where to go.

Here's an example, public transport in the UK, especially busses is the main way of getting around for many folk, especially as only a few cities have a tram / underground network, I'm not sure how it is whereever you live so I won't make judgement.
Older people always are saved the seats at the front by people getting on the bus before them, or if the bus is full people will generally offer their seat if they see an old person standing. But all of a sudden, the older generation has felt it OK to be able to queue cut to get the seats first, I questioned an old woman about this once and all she said was "I'm old"... So what I don't honestly give a shit, if I'd have done that to them I'd have been labelled a hoodie and a chav instantly.
Just because you're old don't mean that the laws of queuing don't apply to you.

smittyone

Tue May 15, 2012 11:37 am

Quoting danielmyatt (Reply 36):
but if somebody is trying to boss me about simply because they're older than me under the premise that you should "respect your elders" I'll tell them where to go.
Quoting danielmyatt (Reply 36):
Just because you're old don't mean that the laws of queuing don't apply to you.

Agree - that is what I would call abusing the privilege and not very respectful  

sturmovik

Tue May 15, 2012 11:42 am

Radio stations that play "Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know" every 20 minutes
Changing radio stations only to hear that song again

So many good songs have turned annoying after being repetitively played everywhere for weeks!

Quoting cpd (Reply 12):
And on that note, people conducting loud meetings at their desks. Book a meeting room and use that. We want peace and quiet to do our work without being distracted by your meeting.

This. Funny story, a colleague has a habit of doing this, and despite our repeated attempts to get him to stop, he continued taking calls from his desk and annoying everyone within earshot. Finally, we heard him make a sexist remark over phone one day, and told one of the firebrand feminists who work with us. To say that we spent weeks laughing about the aftermath is not an exaggeration.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 15):
People that write "common" when saying "come on".

Equally annoying is when people say "would of" instead of "would've". Same with could, should, etc.

Also, I absolutely hate it when people keep the protective plastic on the screens of their mobile phones, laptops etc for months. Those things are there to ensure that the screen is scratch-free until delivery to the customer. They are not a long term scratch-protection solution. It bugs me when i see these plastic sheets clinging on to otherwise good looking products, coming off at the corners and gathering dust on their adhesive side, and generally looking ugly. Yeah, I'm weird.
'What's it doing now?'

hOMSaR

Tue May 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 31):
Drivers who cut across 3 lanes of traffic AT THE INTERSECTION to turn right.

Around here, we just call them cab drivers.

Ps76

Tue May 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi!

I don't know if I really have many pet peeves but one thing that bugs me is when my Mp3 player or CD discman or tape walkman (yes I still listen to tapes!) runs out of battery or charge and I'm walking around somewhere and I have to walk back in silence. Ugh!

Thanks!

Pierre

[Edited 2012-05-15 06:54:42]

PHX787

Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Quoting homsar (Reply 39):
Around here, we just call them cab drivers.

Here in Phoenix we call 'em ASU students    (Including myself, an ASU student)

Quoting sturmovik (Reply 38):
Also, I absolutely hate it when people keep the protective plastic on the screens of their mobile phones, laptops etc for months.

scotch tape prevents the dust from accumulating in the corners   

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 34):
One more irritating subject which I haven't seen come up yet - adverts/commercials on TV that try to convince you it's a life changing product.

I had a professor this semester single-handedly convince a 400+ bio class that half of what's inside SkyMall is total BS. It was an entertaining semester.

Ruining a nice car with a furry steering wheel

Or political bumper stickers/any college that isn't based in the city

Yappy uncontrolled "dogs" (I use the term lightly - real canines would be insulted)

I'm about to open up a restaurant with the dogs who live across from me if they don't stop barking every time the gate door opens -___-

MadameConcorde

Tue May 15, 2012 8:30 pm

What bugs me?

The high cost of living in France and around getting to insane heights when people seem to have less money. I am now retired which cuts my income into pieces and definitely isn't what it used to be. Food prices are going off the wall. Not talking about champagne and caviar. Even normal food prices (fresh vegetables, bread eggs, milk...) are reaching prices never before seen. I don't have a car so I don't need to pay for fuel.

Age discrimination... for everything! I would like to work more years.. .maybe 10 years or more. If I start my own business the government will tax me to death as I am single without children. I'll have to give them 60% so it's not worth it. Age discrimination seems to be the norm almost everywhere worldwide. I don't think there are many countries where people over 60 can keep a job and that's unfortunate. They are now talking about forcing people to retire at 55 rather than 60. I only wish they would let people choose if they want to keep working or not. Unfortunately this is not how it goes.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

DocLightning

Tue May 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Now you have the SPCA volunteer in me going.

*People who breed pets (there are plenty of them, thanks. World doesn't need any more at this point. Once we have emptied the shelters, then by all means, breed them.)
*People who don't spay/neuter and then act shocked when their dog is pregnant.
*People who bring their dog back to the pound when he gets old because "he's too old."

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 33):
People who say aircrafts, it's 1 aircraft, 2 aircraft. Not 2 aircrafts!

Oddly, I feel like I often hear Dutchmen making that mistake... Just sayin'...

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 41):
Or political bumper stickers/any college that isn't based in the city

I do reserve the right to display my alma mater on my car. It happens that it's near where I live, but I still did so when I didn't live in SF.

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 34):
It's gone to whole new extremes. See this video: http://youtu.be/UEwhgMZkFZk

I thought it was kinda...funny. *flee*
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

zippyjet

Tue May 15, 2012 9:33 pm

In no particular order:
1. All the phone commercials with their BS (think Sprint)
2. The mis-management by the state of BWI
3. Our lack of developing alternative energy for the near future.
4. Animal abuse/cruelty
5. Celebrities being congratulated for their ilicit affairs and illegitamite children.
6. Lack of discipline and manners of children. (The DR. Spock/New Morality is a resounding flop)
7. Speed Cameras
8. Government spying
9. The Wall Street criminal cartel
10. Dating double standard: if a guy says a girl is too fat he's shallow but it's no problem if a girl rejects a guy for being short!
11. Proliferation of RJ's and decline of wide body birds.
12. FUGLY automotive styling and the proliferation of SUV's, crossovers and butt ugly hybrids.
13. Most Reality TV
14. Too many dull fruffy award shows.
15. Current state of popular music. Katy Perry is a nice piece of Ass but her voice is worse than fingernails across a blackboard. And Maroon 5 should be sent to Afganistan on a one way ticket; same for Justin Bieber.
16. Harry Potter this and Harry Potter that.
17. Most hip hop music.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

CrimsonNL

Tue May 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 43):
Oddly, I feel like I often hear Dutchmen making that mistake... Just sayin'...

Yup, I hear it very often so it gets annoying after a while 
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

2707200X

Tue May 15, 2012 11:26 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 44):
1. Proliferation of RJ's and decline of wide body birds.

A CRJ going LAX to LAS, a 737 almost guaranteed anywhere going from the west cost to Hawaii and from LA to NYC and a 25 year old 757 going transatlantic.

FUGLY automotive styling and the proliferation of SUV's, crossovers and butt ugly hybrids.

The Aztec anyone.

How about people waiting 3 car spaces behind the car in front of them at the red light and people who won't go when it is green.

Too many dull fruffy award shows.

One awards show I really look forward to seeing the results of, is the Razzies.

Katy Perry
nice piece of Ass

Another fine babe Jessica Alba has found a career in selling products after as series of crap films, maybe Katy can do the same if she would "literally" listen to herself.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Curtisman

Tue May 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Ohhhh my pet peeve is a Canadian one. I get so irritated when I see improper spelling. Color instead of colour, honor instead of honour, etc. This is not a pet peeve against my US friends as they have their own way of spelling. This is a pet peeve against my fellow Canadians.

I had an interesting discussion with an engineer at work this week who insisted that Aluminium is not the correct spelling. Even after showing her the dictionary she disagreed. Wow!

Please note - this is not a post against those that do spell it differently in their own country and this is not a bash - this is a pet peeve against my fellow Canadians  
Citizen of the World

FlyKev
Crew

Wed May 16, 2012 12:25 am

There's some very good points from I think almost every post on here, still here are a few of mine:

1. People addicted to Blackberry Messenger. Seriously, put your phone away and watch the film - Im fed up with you lighting the whole cinema up with your screen and annoying blinking light every 2 seconds. If you can't, leave. Oh and turn the sound off? That little "blip" sound every 12 seconds is very annoying.

2. People who think that can talk on their phone whilst dealing with others (eg. at the tills). Plain rudeness

3. People who walk too slow. Ok fine maybe I walk faster than you but could you at least move to the side and let me pass?

4. People who just walk in to you. Yes, Im invisible, thanks for asking.

5. Reality TV.

6. Teenagers with visions of being successful in life and not needing education because they can make it big on reality TV

7. $imon Cowell

8. The Daily Mail and their weekly campaigns against *insert topic here*

9. Censorship

10. Greedy ISPs and their silly data limits

11. Re-releases and unnecessary sequels

12. Every film needlessly turned into 3D

13. People who don't indicate on roundabouts

14. People who sit next to you on the bus despite there being LOTS of empty seats

15. Radio stations that play the same songs every 30 minutes

16. Internet Spam

17. Seeing the label "New Improved" on any food. You know it hasn't been

18. Any member of groups such as Peta and PlaneStupid

19. The RIAA, MPAA and their failure to adapt to the modern world.

20. Freeloaders

There are so many more, but I think I will leave it at 20.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

DocLightning

Wed May 16, 2012 12:37 am

13. Most Reality TV

My pet peeve is "personal" reality shoes. Like Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Real World, etc. in which we are supposed to be fascinated by someone else's dull, inane boring life just because they are prettier and/or wealthier than the rest of us.

I actually enjoy elimination-style "professional" reality shows in which the point is to showcase professional skills and figure out who is the best fashion designer/chef/drag queen/etc. I actually find those shows interesting as long as they keep the focus on the professional performance and off of the personal stuff. "Top Chef" is one of my favorite shows because I like to cook.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan