fxramper
Topic Author

Apple To Release 'most Important' Product Ever.

Thu May 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Lead Design and recently knighted John Ive said it's not a phone, ipod or even a computer.

Any ideas?

iDunno

but

iWant.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...product-weve-done/?intcmp=features

Revelation

RE: Apple To Release 'most Important' Product Ever.

Thu May 24, 2012 5:29 pm

One rumor is a real Apple TV, meaning a HDTV with Apple software built into it, instead of a box hanging off the TV.

Think of how many of those they could sell!

If it's a similar price point to other TVs but has ways to run various IOS apps plus has lots of TV-specific things like DVR functions, TV listing functions, access to iTunes media, etc, it could be their most important product ever.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

scbriml

Thu May 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
iWant.

So if they released the iTurd, you'd want one?   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

AirPacific747

Thu May 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 1):
One rumor is a real Apple TV, meaning a HDTV with Apple software built into it, instead of a box hanging off the TV.

Is this product special enough to be 'the most important product ever'?

Definitely curious to find out what it is..

Would this article have been possible with Jobs still alive? I thought Apple would not allow an interview like that before a product release.

alberchico

Thu May 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Think of how many of those they could sell!

That would be considered more innovative than the ipad or ipod ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

PPVRA

Thu May 24, 2012 6:14 pm

"Apple’s chief designer and scion of cool Jonathan Ive told London paper the Telegraph that neither the iPad nor the Macintosh nor the iPhone is the most important product the company has ever done."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...one/?intcmp=features#ixzz1voPmup19

So, they aren't saying this is more important than, say, a replacement heart grown out of your own stem cells.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

luv2fly

Thu May 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Steve Jobs action figure IPod.....
You can cut the irony with a knife

Ken777

Thu May 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 2):

The thread is about Apple, not Dull.  

My vote is for a TV type product, leveraging interaction with other Apple products.

DocLightning

Fri May 25, 2012 4:25 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 5):

"Apple’s chief designer and scion of cool Jonathan Ive told London paper the Telegraph that neither the iPad nor the Macintosh nor the iPhone is the most important product the company has ever done."

The most important product the company has done is arguably iPod/iTunes. That said, without the Macintosh, Apple never would have survived to come up with iPod/iTunes.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Airstud

Fri May 25, 2012 7:44 am

The most important product in the history of technology was the Apple IIe, with Lemonade Stand, and LOGO.

Pancakes are delicious.

cedarjet

Fri May 25, 2012 9:20 am

This has been in the wings for a while. Go to YouTube and search for "Apple Wheel". First result is the one you want (sorry can't add an actual link, typing on my phone). Btw I think our very own FXramper appears starting at 1'37".

The future is here!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

bill142

Fri May 25, 2012 11:15 am

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
Lead Design and recently knighted John Ive said it's not a phone, ipod or even a computer.

If you read the article, that's not actually what he says. He says they're working on something new, but doesn't exclude any of the above. So it could be a bigger iphone or a smaller ipad as rumoured.

alberchico

Fri May 25, 2012 5:05 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 11):
If you read the article, that's not actually what he says. He says they're working on something new, but doesn't exclude any of the above. So it could be a bigger iphone or a smaller ipad as rumoured.

The market is already saturated with small 7 inch tablets. Would a TV with integrated apple software be that big of a deal ?

You can already simply hook your iPad up to your TV to watch any content you want so I don't really see the innovation in this....
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Rara

Fri May 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Last time I heard an unannounced product hyped like that, it turned out to be the Segway..  
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Zkpilot

Fri May 25, 2012 6:55 pm

How about an iTV that is a touchscreen? a la what they use on the news/movies etc If its at a decent price-point (which Apple could manage with high volumes) then coupled with iOS etc it could be pretty amazing.
A giant giant iPad if you will.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

Revelation

Fri May 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 3):

Show me it, and I'll let you know!  

I suppose an Apple HDTV may not be, but it does have some strong upsides, and then you add in the hype factor and you may be there.

I still spend more time watching my TV than I do using my phone or laptop.

It'd be a great vehicle for Apple to get in to a market where they don't have any significant penetration and where there really isn't that much innovation, IMHO.

[Edited 2012-05-25 11:58:39]
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

EA CO AS

Fri May 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 3):

Definitely curious to find out what it is..

It'll change the world!!!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

petertenthije

Fri May 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 14):
How about an iTV that is a touchscreen? a la what they use on the news/movies etc If its at a decent price-point (which Apple could manage with high volumes) then coupled with iOS etc it could be pretty amazing.

Why? So when you are watchig a movie you have to get up to change the volume? Richard Polley, the inventor of the remote control, has barely been buried and his grave is already spinning!

Most important product in the world? I suppose water? Maybe apple's gonna bottle water? Probably the easiest way to get filthy rich as well.
Attamottamotta!

OA260

Sat May 26, 2012 12:17 am

Hopefully it is the TV as suggested here :

Apple could announce new TV this December.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gene-...nounce-new-tv-this-december-2012-5

Jetsgo

Sat May 26, 2012 12:40 am

The only thing that would make it better than what Samsung/LG/Sony have to offer is if it somehow provided content in a way that would simply relegate cable/satelitte TV useless. iTunes and Apple TV need a lot of polishing before that is possible, IMO.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Pyrex

Sat May 26, 2012 3:31 am

If it's a similar price point to other TVs

When was the last time Apple released a product that was at a similar price point to anything comparable? Why should they? They know their fans will buy whatever crap they put out.

I am sure at least a few people would line up around the block for that.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

DocLightning

Sat May 26, 2012 3:33 am

Quoting Rara (Reply 13):

Last time I heard an unannounced product hyped like that, it turned out to be the Segway..  

And from the way it was hyped, I was half expecting a Star Trek-style teleportation device.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Airstud

Sat May 26, 2012 4:26 am

Tina Fey commented that the Segway "will completely revolutionize the way people get hit by cars."
Pancakes are delicious.

L410Turbolet

Sat May 26, 2012 5:56 am

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 17):
Why? So when you are watchig a movie you have to get up to change the volume?

That was the genius of Steve Jobs and that's where his credit is certainly due. His ability to persuade the followers of his religion that this is exactly what they "need" and "want"... who needs and old fashioned remote if you can get up and change it manually, right? And some of the TV sets could even tune up a few programs... if you hang them on the wall in a special, upside down, position.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 20):

I am sure at least a few people would line up around the block for that.

Make it a few thousand and I can imagine one or two a.netters being among the first in the line.

extspotter

Sat May 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Human CentiPad?

Would be a revolutionary product in interfacing technology and humans, plus how many people actually read the iTunes terms of use before signing it?
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

Ken777

Sat May 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 23):
His ability to persuade the followers of his religion that this is exactly what they "need" and "want"...

Apple is very good at identifying what will be lusted after, primarily because they work hard to come up with products they themselves lust after.

Another factor noted by Jobs, quoting his favorite hockey player: You don't go to where the puck is, you go to where it will be.

Those two factors allow Apple (with all their talent) to come up with some products that do OK in the market:

iPod

iPhone

iPad

Can you name a tech company that is able to open up markets like Apple? And be as profitable as Apple?

alberchico

Sat May 26, 2012 4:50 pm

So now smart TV's are the next big thing ? Count me out. I like my basic TV just fine without too many bells and whistles and apps and so forth thank you very much   

Aesma

Sat May 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 7):
My vote is for a TV type product, leveraging interaction with other Apple products.

Samsung does that already.

A giant giant iPad if you will.

What you see in the movies is a Microsoft product called Surface : http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx

I think the Apple TV "hanging" from your TV is actually the way to do it, they just need to get more people to buy the stuff, then TV makers would make TVs for it. Because you can't expect everybody to want the same sized TV, IMHO.

My ISP set top box allows me to buy movies and TV series, a lot of French channels offer their programs free or paid and the box manages all that, there are apps and games (angry birds for example), the remote is like a Wii controller, there is a web browser too, it can also use torrents (my ISP is called free for a reason), you can also hook up a camera to it and make your own TV channel. I'm not sure what Apple could do more (and I don't use most of those features).

About the touch aspect, there is one solution, use a phone or tablet as a remote. My box does that too, there is an apple app and an android one.

All this to say that I don't think it's what Apple has in mind. Besides, looking at Apple ads for the iPad, they seem to think the TV is dead already, with people watching movies holding the thing for two hours !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

fxramper
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2012 6:52 pm

No, but it was the half witty comment the author made at the end of the article.

The current version of Apple TV is a joke.

Ken777

Sat May 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 27):
Samsung does that already.

In term of Samsung interacting with iOS devices, they need to be pretty careful as there is already a mountain of litigation between the two over patients.

Aesma

Sat May 26, 2012 7:11 pm

I meant with Samsung products, of course !

But you bring out a good point, with that attitude Apple will never be dominant.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Ken777

Sat May 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 30):
with that attitude Apple will never be dominant.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to be dominate. Look at profitability and Apple is pretty dominant right now. They pull in the most profit (as a company) in the mobile phone industry. Same with MP3 players and, now, tablets. Even their Mac like of computers will be dominate in the notebook area and profitability.

It is also interesting to look at growth. Dell's sales are down because of the shift to tablets (read iPad) and HP is cutting around 25,000 jobs, Apple, on the other hand has out-performed the competition in growth for computers as well as the iOS lines.

Kiwirob

Sun May 27, 2012 7:14 am

How about an iTV that is a touchscreen?

The finger marks on the screen would drive me crazy.

StarAC17

Sun May 27, 2012 8:28 am

Quoting alberchico (Reply 12):
The market is already saturated with small 7 inch tablets. Would a TV with integrated apple software be that big of a deal ?

I don't think it will but Apple is a religion in a way so people would buy it.

With TV technology they can do a few innovative things but nothing really that substantial because they don't really have any technology to get a sharper picture than a competitor as far as I know. They could add in features that a video game console gives you such as voice commands which X-Box 360 Kinect has which would be cool but it would be very frustrating if it couldn't be turned off at times.

Quoting alberchico (Reply 12):
You can already simply hook your iPad up to your TV to watch any content you want so I don't really see the innovation in this....

Or get Apple TV and sync it, a top of the line competing TV and Apple TV would probably cost less and have the same effect. You can also sync new TV's with a home network and if the TV can't do it a preferable device can.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun May 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Could Apple be entering the 3D TV market? And could they pull off a 3D tv that does not require glasses? I know the technology is already starting to appear, but maybe Apple will do what they always do and perfect it?

Just a thought...I mean I would think that would be pretty big.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

StarAC17

Mon May 28, 2012 1:43 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 29):
In term of Samsung interacting with iOS devices, they need to be pretty careful as there is already a mountain of litigation between the two over patients.

I think this is over blown, apple may think that Samsung broke their patents and they may be right and that is up to a judge to decide. However I believe that Samsung provides Apple with a good chunk of the parts needed to make the Iphone and Ipad so if apple wins any suit against Samsung, perhaps Samsung cuts them off or jacks up the price on them.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

cedarjet

Mon May 28, 2012 7:52 am

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 10):
sorry can't add an actual link, typing on my phone

Here it is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

MD11Engineer

Mon May 28, 2012 8:35 am

Whatever this thing is supposed to do, it will be an iBuy and an iPayforit, which is intended to bring Apple lots of $$$

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ikramerica

Mon May 28, 2012 9:01 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 32):

"So that's what life would be like if I invented the finglonger..."
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Klaus

Mon May 28, 2012 10:16 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 35):
However I believe that Samsung provides Apple with a good chunk of the parts needed to make the Iphone and Ipad so if apple wins any suit against Samsung, perhaps Samsung cuts them off or jacks up the price on them.

They'd have to breach their existing contracts in order to seriously inconvenience Apple in that way, which would very likely trigger substantial penalties to be paid – and since Apple is their biggest component customer, they would damage themselves to a large extent (in addition to presenting themselves as an unreliable supplier to everybody else). At the same time, Apple already invests billions of $ in advance to build up their supply chain and to keep it diversified if possible.

The end effect of Samsung trying to shaft Apple on supplies would be a severely damaged Samsung with much of its business lost, its reputation in the market severely tarnished and its competition boosted with Apple funds to push other component suppliers to the level needed by Apple.

Samsung holds the much shorter end of the stick there, and due to their previous shenanigans Apple has already begun to shift their new contracts to Samsung's competition on various levels.

Samsung would be taking a major risk with pursuing their device copycat strategy at the expense of their solid component business. Up to now they seem to be trying to have it both ways, but Apple is effectively pushing them towards making an actual choice.

Flighty

Mon May 28, 2012 5:29 pm

It is so exciting to wait for the most impotent product ever!!!