747400sp
Topic Author

Next Generation MCI Motorcoach, What To Expect?

Mon May 28, 2012 3:44 am

Today, I was riding on one of my place of worship MC-9s with a 8v-71, from Washington DC, and after we got home, I start thinking about how the D series architecture, was based on the MC-9s.
So I wonder, what could we expect from MCI in the future? Could we see a motor coach base on the J4500 architecture, but slightly larger, with a more modern look? So what would a K series be like?

ltbewr

RE: Next Generation MCI Motorcoach, What To Expect?

Mon May 28, 2012 4:33 am

I take MCI motor coaches every day commuting to/from my home and NY City on NJ Transit. I believe in the late 1990's, NJ Transit had placed the largest single order of such MCI coaches they ever had (over 900 units ceating a 'Jersey Cruser' spec sub models mainly used on longer haul suburban-NYC/Phiily routes).

I suspect there is going to have to be changes to better accommodate handicapped persons, as well as made lighter with more composite materials, fiberglass and aluminum to reduce weight as well as updates engines and accessory systems (air conditioning for example) to improve fuel mileage. For all coach buyers, they need to deal with the long term increases in fuel prices to hold down costs to operators. I noticed that Greyhound bought a significant number of Prevost coaches in recent years although for years they were big MCI buyers. I wonder if it is due to pricing or quality issues vs. MCI.

KingFriday013

RE: Next Generation MCI Motorcoach, What To Expect?

Tue May 29, 2012 11:52 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 1):
I noticed that Greyhound bought a significant number of Prevost coaches in recent years although for years they were big MCI buyers. I wonder if it is due to pricing or quality issues vs. MCI.

They did have a huge X3-45 order, but they also got a bunch of D4505s, which are just as nice and essentially fill the same niche as the D series (both are line haul coaches, as compared to touring coaches (i.e., H3-45)).

But I pretty much agree, lighter, more fuel-efficient coaches should be expected; perhaps more aerodynamic too (which would look cool IMHO  ).

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!