zippyjet
Topic Author

Packing For A Trip

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:14 pm

I have the WN/FL annual awards banquet coming up in 10 days. It calls for semi formal so that means donning my suit. I'm not a dress up type of person. It's only a 1 or 2 nite quicky trip and I like to pack minimally. I have to schlep my CPAP and I always take my laptop when I travel. What's the best way to cart my suit without it being wrinkled? I may check my rolling bag, I may not. What's the best way to travel with your suit? And no, I refuse to wear it. Regarding packing I've learned from friends in the Marines the best way to pack the other stuff is the Bundle Method. Doing the Bundle method minimizes wrinkles on other garments as opposed to rolling.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

mbmbos

RE: Packing For A Trip

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:18 pm

With blazers and suit coats, I've had luck turning them inside out, folding inward at the shoulders and rolling them up. Then, when I get to my hotel, I hang said coat in the bathroom and let steam from the shower get it back in shape.

Definitely roll a silk tie so it doesn't leave crease marks. And if you're wearing wool pants, folding along the crease then rolling will net best results.

This definitely isn't the perfect plan, but at least it's manageable.

ajd1992

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Don't forget the golden rule - lay it all out on the bed before you pack it, then tell yourself to throw half your crap away.

Works wonders every time. 

luv2fly

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:50 am

Hanging your suit in the bathroom and take a long hot shower and the wrinkles and creases will be gone.
You can cut the irony with a knife

vikkyvik

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:30 pm

For a weekend trip for which I need to pack a suit, I usually take a garment bag and a backpack (both carryon), and that's it.

My suit, shirts, shoes, socks, and usually some other non-formal clothes are in the garment bag. Everything else (toiletries, a few pieces of clothing, camera, etc.) are in the backpack.

Seems to work pretty well. The garment bag just gets folded in half if it's going in an overhead (and it's not a tight fold, so you don't really get a crease). If the airline has a closet, I may ask if they can hang it in the closet. But usually not a big deal.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

AeroWesty

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:33 pm

I keep a bag of the plastic wrappers you get from the dry cleaners in my closet, then wrap shirts and suits in them before packing. It creates a little cushion of air to help keep wrinkles out. Cheap plastic suit bags from the dollar store would probably work just as well.

For ties, I roll them up and put them into a ziploc sandwich bag, then pack them inside of shoes.
International Homo of Mystery