September11
Topic Author

You Prefer Swimming Pool Or Beach For Fun?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:53 pm

It's summer soon.. You got to take your clothes off and put on your swimsuits..

I'm curious - you rather to sunbath on poolside or on the beach shore?

Swimming pool for me! Thank you
Airliners.net of the Future

lewis

RE: You Prefer Swimming Pool Or Beach For Fun?

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:07 am

I do not mind swimming pools but I would take the beach anytime over a pool. A pool is nice if you don't share it with many people and you need some privacy. I do not like to swim in pools at hotels or public pools in general, I find it kind of disgusting. For the rest, the beach is much better, especially if it is a beach where you can also have your drink etc. Strictly for sunbathing, I still prefer the beach, there is nothing like hearing the waves hit the beach.

nws2002

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:38 am

The beach seems appealing but I hate being covered in sand. My vote is for the pool.

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:58 am

I would vote for the beach...just something about hanging on the beach with a cold beverage and maybe a grill with waves crashing over the surf and the sun shining.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

Aeroflot777

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:26 am

Every time I go on vacation to Turkey, Greece or any other sea-side destination, I can't help but be dumbfounded by tourists who spend all day swimming in the nasty chlorinated pools rather than enjoy the crisp, blue sea and sandy beaches. Why even bother going on vacation? You can sit in a pool in your hometown. I simply just never understood.

TSS

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:52 am

Pool:
Clean water (maybe)
No broken glass

Beach:
Sand (usually) with which to build castles or sculptures
Sea shells
Sea glass
Shark teeth
Interesting critters of every description

Advantage- Beach.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ha763

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:10 am

I live in Hawaii. You can already guess which one I prefer.

Also, I don't go to sunbathe, I go to swim, play, bbq, etc. I can get a tan working outside at home without a shirt.

sturmovik

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:00 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 4):
Every time I go on vacation to Turkey, Greece or any other sea-side destination, I can't help but be dumbfounded by tourists who spend all day swimming in the nasty chlorinated pools rather than enjoy the crisp, blue sea and sandy beaches. Why even bother going on vacation? You can sit in a pool in your hometown. I simply just never understood.

This.
I was in Sri Lanka last year, sitting at this amazing beach with crystal clear water. The sort that makes it look like boats are floating in the air. And forty feet behind me was the hotel pool, and everyone seemed to be more interested in that than in the beach. You travel thousands of miles by air and road, get to within forty feet of a beach, and then go for a chlorinated pool? I wont understand..
'What's it doing now?'

AirPacific747

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:35 am

It's a draw for me.. largely depends on the situation, the facilities and the location.

Quoting sturmovik (Reply 7):
You travel thousands of miles by air and road, get to within forty feet of a beach, and then go for a chlorinated pool? I wont understand..

It's not that simple for me. We have loads of beaches in my country.. when we go down south, it is primarily to enjoy a warmer climate and of course go swimming.. but therefore the pool is also attractive.

[Edited 2012-06-07 23:38:57]

TheCommodore

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:51 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 4):

Yeah, me to, I've always wondered why you'd go to such places and then just sit by the pool.
So my vote is the sea, nothing like it !
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

mad99

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:09 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 5):
Advantage- Beach.
Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 9):
So my vote is the sea, nothing like it !

I'm with yous!!

Also, i've heard that newer pools are using salt water. Can anyone comment on if that's true and if you've been what it's like?
thanks

ArmitageShanks

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:04 am

I always prefer the beach. Its great floating on my back looking out into the "unknown."

na

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:36 am

As long as their is plenty of shade and no fee I dont mind both. Depends how crowded its is, and if the pool is a great one. I dont like vast, open beaches with no palmtrees, and I hate crowded pools. Also, if beach, I need a shower nearby, and I hate salt on the skin. That said, I´m no sunbather, hate sunscreen or oil. Oil and sand are a bad combination. I prefer sightseeing and reading under a tree to just hanging around and burning in the sun on holidays. In a typical summer holiday I dont spend more than 2 or 3 days (and then half days each maximum) at the beach in two weeks. Only if I´m in a rented holiday home with an own pool I´d spend more time there.

PlymSpotter

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:01 am

I can't swim in most pools thanks to the chemicals which make my eyes inflame pretty badly.

When it's really hot in the UK I will swim in one of the local rivers (fresh clean water from unpopulated moorland) which have some great deep pools even in summer. I only go to the beach in the winter when it's pretty much deserted and dogs are allowed. In Spain we have our own pool so I swim in that, usually daily, and only go to the beach with friends.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Aesma

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:10 am

I like sailing so pools end up being too small usually ! My father is from Brittany and he was a sailing instructor when a student.

The downside of the beach to me is the salt, but the chlorine in pools is not better. Now, having a home with a natural pool, that I would love.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Quokkas

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:28 am

It would all depend on where the beach is. If it is one of the stretches of the Med, where there are hundreds of thousands of people rationed to a few square centimetres of fee-payable pebbles or sand, then the pool sounds more attractive. If it is in a scenic location, not crowded and has good surf, then the beach will win. Fortunately we have some pretty good beaches here in Western Australia.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

Kiwirob

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Pool or ocean I don't really care which so long as I can see some hotties in bikinis I'm happy.

casinterest

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting mad99 (Reply 10):
Also, i've heard that newer pools are using salt water. Can anyone comment on if that's true and if you've been what it's like?
thanks

Lots of places in the US do this now . Much easier on the eyers and hair. Still come out salty though.
I like the beach.

The sound of the waves, the breeze, the relaxing time with family and friends playing boche, whiffleball, or waterskiing.

The pool is ok if all you want to do is get tanked, tanned , and tip your feet in the water. .
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

DocLightning

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Quoting September11 (Thread starter):
It's summer soon.. You got to take your clothes off and put on your swimsuits..

Wait... I have to put on a swimsuit?   

So pools are for workouts. The beach is for fun. Then again, I spend at least an hour and a half in the water every day for swim practice, so I don't typically swim "for fun" unless I'm playing around with kids or I'm going for a swim with my dog (who can swim almost as fast as I can!).

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 16):
Pool or ocean I don't really care which so long as I can see some hotties in bikinis I'm happy.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

No, no, really, you don't have to thank me. It's the least I could do!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

srbmod

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:34 pm

I'm not of fan of beaches, so I don't go to beach destinations for vacations. By process of elimination, swimming pool, in particular, ones that do not allow kids.

flymia

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:40 pm

In the summer I prefer the pool. It is just way too hit to be sitting on the beach in Miami. Now if it's an all day type thing and we have a tent and some chairs or something then the beach is good. But if it's a 2-3 hour thing to lay out and swim in the summer I prefer a pool especially if it's at a home or my home were it is easy to inside and outside etc..

When it's cooler outside or for 1-2 hours then give me the beach. I guess that's an advantage of living in Miami. I can go to the beach for 2 hours whenever I want.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

FlyKev
Crew

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:13 am

Im not normally a beach person however I have an exception; if you ever visit the island of Lanzarote, there are a few beaches near ACE that I could sure lie down all day and watch the planes landing on!

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

bohica

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:29 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):

No, no, really, you don't have to thank me. It's the least I could do!

I want to thank you for starting my weight loss program. I just lost my appetite forever.   

KBUF

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:31 am

The pool, since I have one in my backyard. 
"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup."-Terry Pegula, February 22, 2011

Kiwirob

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:01 am

Doc I know you have low standards but this is taking the cake!

DocLightning

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:01 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 24):
Doc I know you have low standards but this is taking the cake!

Know what? When you leave the goofiness aside, Sacha Cohen is actually a handsome man. You're not meant to notice in this photo, of course, but with a shave and a haircut and a reasonable swimsuit, he's totally hittable.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
but with a shave and a haircut and a reasonable swimsuit, he's totally hittable.

Fair comment, just the mansuit is totally wrong.

zkojq

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:46 am

Living in Auckland, New Zealand there are plenty of beautiful beaches available to me. Resultingly, my peers and I spend a good portion of the summer on the beach. Unfortunately when it comes to swimming, I usually find the sea too cold for all but the hottest few weeks of the year, so most of my swimming ends up being in a pool. I do however prefer the beach when the water is warm enough.

When it comes to sunbathing I prefer being poolside. Nothing like lying on a sun-lounger all day with a good book and some Bossa Nova on the ipod...

It's summer soon

Not in my part of the world.  
Quoting mad99 (Reply 10):

I swim in a salt-water pool quite regularly and like it. Its really nice to get out and not smell like chlorine. Disadvantages include the risk of metal items in the splash zone (such as patio furniture, sun-loungers etc) rusting. I have always thought it would be fun if someone with a salt-water pool increased the salt to water ratio substantially so that buoyancy levels would be similar to the dead sea.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 26):
the mansuit is totally wrong.

Agreed.
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)

NZ107

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:17 am

Quoting zkojq (Reply 27):
Unfortunately when it comes to swimming, I usually find the sea too cold for all but the hottest few weeks of the year, so most of my swimming ends up being in a pool

Yeah but when you get waters that are warmer than Auckland's summer, you get jellyfish.. And I hate jellyfish! Win-lose situation for me.. The beach is really fun and pools can't create the same waves.. And the pool can be fun, set to a temperature and free from things that bite/sting which are a part of beaches/oceans.

Both have pros and cons.. But I'd much rather live in a place with the option for both rather than being in a landlocked area with no choice!
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

cmf

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:29 pm

For fun I, I do other things 
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

photoshooter

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Depends where... I really enjoy swimming in the sea as long as it looks clean or when you can look right through it.
Otherwise I always swim in a swimming pool when on holiday.

I really enjoy having a sunbath on the beach and enjoy the pretty ladies   
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

IMissPiedmont

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:35 pm

Sexist pig!

More please
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

DocLightning

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 26):
just the mansuit is totally wrong.

Well, duh! Why do you think I posted it?  
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 32):
Well, duh! Why do you think I posted it?

I have no idea what gay men find attractive, Borat in the mankini might float your boat!

tommy767

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:36 pm

If it's between the Jersey shore or a Jersey recreational pool, I'd prefer a pool.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

aerorobnz

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:51 pm

beach, it isn't even close.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

sprout5199

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 pm

I have grown up and still live in an oceanside south Florida city, but yet I hate to go swimming at the beach. Sand every where, and then there is the stickyness of the salt water when you are done. Glass not allowed--I hate beer in a can. No bonfires anymore--freaking NIMBYS. Too many people. but I do like walking on the beach in the evening with my GF.

Give me a back yard pool anytime to go swimming, with fire pit and a cooler full of beer, and honeys, lots of honeys.

MY EYES, MY EYES. image has burned my retinas, thanks Doc.

Dan in Jupiter

DocLightning

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 36):
MY EYES, MY EYES. image has burned my retinas, thanks Doc.

"Cannot unsee!"  
Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 33):
Borat in the mankini might float your boat!
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Kent350787

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:19 am

I grew up in a coastal city. Swimming/surfing was the main thing to do. I spent many, many hours on the beach once I could get there under my own steam.

Most of my swimming time these is days is spent in pools - they're nearer and it's easier to stay out of the sun (thanks northern hemisphere for screwing up the ozone layer here! With a small contribution from us too). But I still love the surf.

zkojq

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 28):
Yeah but when you get waters that are warmer than Auckland's summer, you get jellyfish.. And I hate jellyfish!

Lol, forgot about those. I really, really hate them - particularly the Blue-Bottles. Thankfully though, nearly everything in the waters around NZ is pretty benign. I feel sorry for our neighbours across the Tasman, who have to share some of their beaches with Crocodiles, Sea Snakes as-well as many more sharks than we get in NZ.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 28):
Both have pros and cons.. But I'd much rather live in a place with the option for both rather than being in a landlocked area with no choice!

Very much agreed. All my life I've lived within a kilometre of the beach and wouldn't want it any other way. Ironically, in NZ the farthest possible point from the sea is Lake Taupo....though it is rather cold at all times of the year.

[Edited 2012-06-12 08:18:16]
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)

Kent350787

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Quoting zkojq (Reply 39):
Thankfully though, nearly everything in the waters around NZ is pretty benign. I feel sorry for our neighbours across the Tasman, who have to share some of their beaches with Crocodiles, Sea Snakes as-well as many more sharks than we get in NZ.

I went back to my home town at Easter (the water was unseasonably warm, still around 21 degrees C) and went snorkelling there for (somehow!) the first time - in a reserve that is a grey nurse shark breeding ground.

As for the crocs and snakes, they're the preserve of the strange people up north - although I'm more scared of the Irukandjii jellyfish.

NZ107

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 am

Thankfully though, nearly everything in the waters around NZ is pretty benign.

As is the same on land. What a great country it is for exploration.

Lake Taupo....though it is rather cold at all times of the year.

There are hot water vents on the beaches too though.. Find some of those and it'd make for a great little spa!

Quoting kent350787 (Reply 40):
As for the crocs and snakes, they're the preserve of the strange people up north - although I'm more scared of the Irukandjii jellyfish.

That's one horrible looking jellyfish. Them and other box jellyfish are horrible. Heck, I'm even scared of the jellyfish which can't sting! It's such a gross feeling kicking slime..

LFutia

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:59 am

I'd take the beach... aka Lake Michigan here.

I read an article in Dutch saying that 1 in 5 american adults pee in the pool... so mix urine and cholorine and you get burning eyes.

English article -- http://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com/1-5-ad...-pee-swimming-pools-054645174.html

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

photoshooter

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Quoting LFutia (Reply 42):

I read an article in Dutch saying that 1 in 5 american adults pee in the pool... so mix urine and cholorine and you get burning eyes.

Do you want to know what people do in the sea? Some things you can't do in the pool because it's too easy to spot otherwise... ''Is that a twig?''

And I'm pretty sure a dead body ends up in the ocean as well. Although the ocean is big enough to spread the bacteria and germs 

Enjoy your summer!
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

daviation

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Having read all the above and tossed my breakfast (!), I can safely admit that I prefer pools. Oh yes, the sea is very nice to look at and perhaps take a quick dip, but I prefer the (imagined) safety of a pool.

I also can't stand sand up my bum and in my privates.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

okees

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 14):

I like sailing so pools end up being too small usually

What about this then?
http://www.victory-cruises.com/pool.html

I'm sure a pool like this will satisfy everyone in this forum!

Okees
mobs jakis

Aesma

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:21 pm

I thought about it when I wrote, since I had seen the news. If I could get it for me and family/friends alone, then yes it would be cool !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

AirPacific747

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:05 am

Quoting okees (Reply 45):

They just need to add some coral reefs and tropical fish and of course use saltwater instead, and you would have the ultimate pool with perfect conditions for snorkeling. 

NZ107

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 47):

How about the Dubai Mall fish tank? 

AirPacific747

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 48):
How about the Dubai Mall fish tank?

Didn't know about that one.. that's crazy but certainly follows the spirit of Dubai in general! I might be too scared to swim with the sharks and rays.. :P