2707200X
Topic Author

Has Anybody In Here Eaten At White Castle?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:06 am

I know White Castle like In-N-Out is a regional burger chain and privately owned and like the SoCal based chain it has a reputation for the way its patrons love the food. I have gained notice of White Castle by watching travel show documentaries on the History Channel and most recently on Destination America. I wonder if you have eaten the burgers or sliders at White Castle and if so did you like it?
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

aznmadsci

RE: Has Anybody In Here Eaten At White Castle?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:18 am

It's been a while since I've had a true White Castle burger, and they're good. Actually I prefer them over In-N-Out, but not over Whataburger and Five Guys.   

While not the same, you might want to check the frozen foods section at your local grocery because many places sell them next to the frozen pizzas and burritos.   
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

Geezer

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:21 am

I've been eating "sliders" for about 50 or 60 yrs now; they must be O.K. or I wouldn't keep going back.

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

TSS

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:36 am

We don't have White Castles down here in Alabama, but we do have Krystals which appear to be essentially the same restaurant but with a different theme. It is widely believed that no food will soak up ingested alcohol and prevent a hangover the next day better than a bag full of Krystals (the "sliders", not the Krystal King which is a normal hamburger). Whether this is actually true or not I can't say for sure, but I do know a number of people who claim that they have no idea what a Krystal slider tastes like when they're sober.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

compensateme

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:46 am

You can't compare White Castle to In-N-Out. Many people, myself included, get an occasional crave for White Castle's unique taste, but the restaurants do not draw the crowds like In-N-Out. I actually buy them from my local grocery store, which long charged $3.50 for a six-pack ($2.50 if you had a coupon) compared to the nearly $1 each in the restaurant. Krystal Burger, a Southern chain, taste similar.
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

Superfly

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:39 am

White Castle's is the best hamburgers inthe WORLD! ! ! ! !
Count me in as a HUGE White Castle's fan!
I've included trips to White Castle's in two of my trip reports.

Detroit Rock City (SFO-PHL-DTW) (by Superfly May 11 2009 in Trip Reports)?threadid=148353&searchid=148870&s=Detroit+rock+city#ID148870

Larry Craig, NWA DC9, Midwest 717 And Lots Of Beer (by Superfly Nov 28 2007 in Trip Reports)?threadid=113840&searchid=118761&s=Larry+Craig+717+beer+#ID118761

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 4):
the restaurants do not draw the crowds like In-N-Out.

Oh yes they do!   
They're more popular in the ghetto and you can expect to wait up to 30 minutes in many cases.

my local grocery store

Taste nothing like the real thing at the restaurant.
Bring back the Concorde

PHX787

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:38 am

yeesh...don't go to white castle.

3 sliders and 2 hours later I'm   
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

texan

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:07 am

I have. Unfortunately. Won't make that mistake again.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

smittyone

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 am

I have happy memories of White Castle. My dad always insisted on loading up on white castles before a road trip (and beer too but hey it was the '70s), regardless of length. My brother and I would just sit in the back of the car with no seat belts and hammer down on those little cholesterol bombs. I was a chubby little kid to begin with and my string bean brother had a hollow leg or tapeworm or something.

It was so funny one time he sent my brother and me in to order 50 white castles, though 100 was not unheard of. The lady at the grill was like "You want 15?!" as if that was crazy and I replied "No ma'am, 50". She pretty much exploded and while she was cooking them she kept muttering to herself saying "What did YOU do today? I made fifty White Castle hamburgers, that's what I did!"

I can still clearly remember the gleam in my dad's eye anytime the subject of a road trip came up, invariably starting with "we can pick up some white castles..."

Good times...

Superfly

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:36 am

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 8):
It was so funny one time he sent my brother and me in to order 50 white castles, though 100 was not unheard of. The lady at the grill was like "You want 15?!" as if that was crazy and I replied "No ma'am, 50". She pretty much exploded and while she was cooking them she kept muttering to herself saying "What did YOU do today? I made fifty White Castle hamburgers, that's what I did!"

The most I've had in 1 meal was 16.
Bring back the Concorde

smittyone

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:39 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
The most I've had in 1 meal was 16.

That's some good work!

I have to admit that my dad's eyes were generally too big for our stomachs. I think he just liked the idea of it..."100 white castles! Nothing is too good for us!" LOL

We usually had a bunch left over so it was the 'gift that kept on giving'. Looking back I guess I'm just happy we never got food poisoning.

[Edited 2012-06-12 03:45:56]

Superfly

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:27 am

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 10):
That's some good work!

Falstaff thought I was a pig when I ordered 10 on my last trip to Detroit.
After the 9+ hours of many delays and near-missed connections on US Airways from SFO - PHL - DTW, I really needed those 10 White's Castle's cheeseburgers. It was damn near midnight and nothing open near the airport but those burgers came in handy.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Rush8track/Detroit2009070.jpg

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 10):
I'm just happy we never got food poisoning.

Chase 'em down with beer or cheap whiskey and you'll be alright.
Bring back the Concorde

Type-Rated

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:44 am

Some people who have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) should stay away from White Castle. It'll really get your stomach going!

When we were growing up our parents used to take us to White Castle for lunch or dinner after an all day shopping trip at the mall. For some reason I remember that White Castle hamburgers tasted way better in the winter where you would see the restaurants windows all fogged up. It think that their burgers are more steamed than fried.

In Chicago anyway I never thought of White Castle as a 'hood restaurant. They were located all over town in all kinds of neighborhoods.

I remember back in the 60's when the hamburgers went for $0.15 each!

We had a Krystal burger here in Houston on FM1960 for about two years. They built the building for it and when they closed down they tore the building down too. To tell you the truth, I don't know how Krystal Burger got away without a copyright infrigement lawsuit from White Castle. The only differences I saw between the two was that Krystal Burgers came with mustard and katsup on them and didn't have holes in the burger like White Castle did. Otherwise they are pretty much the same.

And the White Castle hamburger places were open 24 hours a day too! At 2:30am on a Saturday night the place would be hopping from all the people on their way home from the bars. If you really tied one on stopping at a White Castle on the way home would almost guarantee that you didn't feel as bad as you felt you should the next day.

Back in the 70's & 80's White Castle stores used to have what was called a "Jet Pack". One Hundred fully cooked frozen hamburgers completely cooked in one large box that had a styrofoam cooler inside. I think it cost something like $38.00.
I flew many of those from Chicago to Denver and to Houston over the years. Eventually White Castle stopped with the Jet Packs when they became available in grocery store freezers. And they are not cheap either. It's four bucks for a 6 pack.

White Castle doesn't expand their area very much. I once sent the company an e-mail to ask why. They responded that they like to have total contol over their supply of food and that all their stores have to be within a so many hour drive from a distribution center.

Like In N' Out at LAX you can go to a White Castle on 63rd & Cicero Av by MDW and watch the planes land right in front of you. Comparing an In N' Out burger to a White Castle would be like comparing a McDonald's Quarter Pounder to a Burger King Whopper. They are two distinctly different products and each has their own place in the market.

BTW, just a block east of the MDW location is a great restaurant that serves the best Chicago Italian Beef around.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Revelation

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
After the 9+ hours of many delays and near-missed connections on US Airways from SFO - PHL - DTW, I really needed those 10 White's Castle's cheeseburgers. It was damn near midnight and nothing open near the airport but those burgers came in handy.

Sounds like a sure fire recipe for a good case of the farts!

Back when I visited a friend in college, he and his roommates got a big bag of sliders and then farted the whole place out, it was truly disgusting! Good thing their apartment had a balcony! We were all out there, even though it was the dead of winter!

Hope Falstaff managed to stay up-wind of you!
Inspiration, move me brightly!

Superfly

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 12):
In Chicago anyway I never thought of White Castle as a 'hood restaurant. They were located all over town in all kinds of neighborhoods.

True but it seems like the once in the 'hood have the most customers at any given time. The one I frequent the most near my grandmothers is at 79th & Stony Island in Chicago. It's always crowded and a popular place to hangout after hours.
They've even had to put up this sign outside because it's so popular and the crowd control has been an issue.

Back in the 70's & 80's White Castle stores used to have what was called a "Jet Pack". One Hundred fully cooked frozen hamburgers completely cooked in one large box that had a styrofoam cooler inside. I think it cost something like $38.00.

Now THAT sounds awesome!
Perhaps United Airlines or Delta should start serving White Castle's.  
Buy on board Jet-Packs.   
I hope the folks at United or Delta are reading this!   

Comparing an In N' Out burger to a White Castle would be like comparing a McDonald's Quarter Pounder to a Burger King Whopper.

Agree. Two entirely different burger classes.

White Castle doesn't expand their area very much. I once sent the company an e-mail to ask why. They responded that they like to have total contol over their supply of food and that all their stores have to be within a so many hour drive from a distribution center.

I can see them coming here to Asia before the American West Coast - just as Dunkin Doughnuts, Mister Doughnut, Dairy Queen and A&W. Those chains are almost disappeared or only regional in the US.
Believe it or not but 'sliders' or 'mini-burgers' are now very popular here among the nouveau riche Thai crowd. Many of the new, upscale trendy restaurants serve sliders. The locals love them!
Also the Far-East isn't hyper-paranoid about fast-food and no nutrition czars looking for successful fast-food chains to sue.

Keep the pressure on them Type-rated.  
I'm sure they get tons of letters and emails over the years. They'll eventually expand.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 13):
Hope Falstaff managed to stay up-wind of you!

It doesn't give me gas.
Falstaff had passed out in his bedroom.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:31 pm

They have to be the most pathetic looking baby sized burgers ever, they are so bad I'm surprised White Castle didn't originate in Norway, or maybe the founders were Norwegian immigrants.

hoons90

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Been to a few in NYC and Indiana and absolutely loved it. Can't do more than 6 though.

I've also tried Krystal in Jacksonville, but it wasn't as good.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

jetblueguy22

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:27 pm

White Castle is awesome. I had it for the first time in December. My brothers and I were headed to go to a Rangers game at MSG and we were looking for something and our eyes got huge when we saw it since we had seen Harold & Kumar about a hundred times. It was great. Nothing I'd drive an hour for but if I was craving it I'd take a 20 min detour.
Blue
All of the opinions stated above are mine and do not represent Airliners.net or my employer unless otherwise stated.

ER757

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:45 pm

I remember back in the 60's when the hamburgers went for $0.15 each!

Oh yeah, those were the days - it was a HUGE treat for us kids if Dad decided to pull in to White Castle on the way home from my aunt's house. He'd never say anything ahead of time, he'd just turn in every once in a while and surprise us.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
my local grocery store

Definitely a far cry from the real thing, but I do get a craving every once in a while and the closest White Castle to Seattle is probably Kansas City so they'll suffice. Actually have a six pack in my freezer right now, they were on sale at Safeway this week.

compensateme

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Oh yes they do!   They're more popular in the ghetto and you can expect to wait up to 30 minutes in many cases.

LOL, I'm not disputing that  . But the lines for Checker's and Popeye's are much longer in the ghetto nearest me. In suburb locations, White Castle does not draw the massive crowds that In-N-Out does. I went to the In-N-Out in Paradise Valley, AZ the other day and waited nearly an hour for my burger. Meanwhile, the newly opened Culver's next door had not one single person within its proximity. And Culver's makes a dang good burger.

Yes, they taste much better fresh but they still taste similar. Costs much less and prevents you from buying a crave case and eating every burger.
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

windy95

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Grew up eating White Castle as a kid in Chicago. Love the sliders.

Nothing like a sack of White Castles after a late night at the Bar.

Revelation

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 19):
But the lines for Checker's and Popeye's are much longer in the ghetto nearest me. In suburb locations, White Castle does not draw the massive crowds that In-N-Out does. I went to the In-N-Out in Paradise Valley, AZ the other day and waited nearly an hour for my burger. Meanwhile, the newly opened Culver's next door had not one single person within its proximity. And Culver's makes a dang good burger.

Interesting, even though I'm a vegetarian!

The only "premium burger" place I can see around here is Five Guys, and they don't seem to be doing that much business at all. They are sandwiched between the two best Chinese places in the area so I don't know if they picked the best spot to be.

Quoting windy95 (Reply 20):
Nothing like a sack of White Castles after a late night at the Bar.

Says "Windy95" -- do they give you wind?

windy95

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 21):
Quoting windy95 (Reply 20):Nothing like a sack of White Castles after a late night at the Bar.
Says "Windy95" -- do they give you wind?

Aftyer large amount's of this

http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/leinenkugels-red-lager.jpg

and then this

equals

B6JFKH81

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 pm

I get random cravings for White Castle. I only have it a few times a year, and I LOVE them. They don't always love me back, but I don't care, those little sliders are damn good!!! Damn it, now I'm hungry for White Castle!!!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Revelation

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 22):
equals

LOL! That pretty much sums it up!

falstaff

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:28 pm

I am not a huge fan of White Castle burgers becuase I really don't like onions, but I love their crinkle cut fries and their chicken rings.

White Castle is a good place to eat when I'm drunk.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Superfly

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 18):
Actually have a six pack in my freezer right now, they were on sale at Safeway this week.

I'd only buy them in Safeway if they were yellow tag sale items.

the lines for Checker's and Popeye's are much longer in the ghetto nearest me.

I never got in to Popeye's. I'm more of a Kentucky Fried Chicken guy.
Why is Checker so popular? They're an auto parts chain. The only food they sale is beef jerky.

I went to the In-N-Out in Paradise Valley, AZ the other day and waited nearly an hour for my burger.

That isn't uncommon.

I drank lots of those on a Northwwest DC-9 (MSP-ORD) and Midwest 717 (MKE-LAX).

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 23):
I only have it a few times a year, and I LOVE them. They don't always love me back,

That's how Indian food is with me.
I love Indian food but prefer to eat it alone and I never have it on dates. Otherwise I'd be releasing something very unpleasant than the desired release.....
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 pm

White Castle's is the best hamburgers inthe WORLD! ! ! ! !

OK, that's carrying it a touch far. The best three hamburgers in the WORLD!!! are (in no particular order):

1) The Woody Creek Tavern, in Snowmass, CO
2) The Red Coat Tavern in Birmingham, MI (or maybe Southfield...too lazy to look it up)
3) Beau Jack's in Bloomfield Twp, MI

Now, I'm talking about ones you can buy. The best hamburger in the world is one that was raised on my friend Jeff's farm in Ione, CA (they raise free-range Black Angus) and then prepared by me on the playa at Burning Man.

White Castle, however, is one of the few things I miss about living in Michigan. It's one of those things, like Vernors, where if you didn't grow up with it, you won't appreciate it. Poor saps...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 27):
Now, I'm talking about ones you can buy. The best hamburger in the world is one that was raised on my friend Jeff's farm in Ione, CA (they raise free-range Black Angus) and then prepared by me on the playa at Burning Man.

Ok I'm gonna have to invite myself to your friend's farm.  
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
Ok I'm gonna have to invite myself to your friend's farm.

You gotta go to Burning Man. You aren't going to eat it straight off the cow...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 29):
You gotta go to Burning Man.

I'm overdue for a Burning Man trip. I went in 2005.
First, I need to come up with an idea for my camp.
Bring back the Concorde

PHX787

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 29):
You gotta go to Burning Man. You aren't going to eat it straight off the cow...

I think you're inviting him to Burning man to see him naked, Doc   

fr8mech

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:01 pm

It was part of my life for a long time.

Growing up in Brooklyn, after I learned to drive, and party (not in that order), we would hit the White Castle on 4th Ave & 30th. Ahhhh, good times.

Later in life, after a late night fire or extrication, we would hit the White Castle and replace all those calories (and many more) that we burned. Sadly, that White Castle is gone.

I can honestly say, I haven't had a 'slider' in 9 years.

I miss it, yet I don't miss it.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

DocLightning

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 31):
I think you're inviting him to Burning man to see him naked, Doc

Now, I love Larry, but... not my type. Not even close.

So, PHX787, wanna come to Burning Man?     
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 32):
Growing up in Brooklyn, after I learned to drive, and party (not in that order), we would hit the White Castle on 4th Ave & 30th. Ahhhh, good times.

When I'm in Brooklyn, I go to the one at Utica and Lefferts Ave.
BTW, do you know which White Castle's Tony Menero (John Travolta) went to in the movie Saturday Night Fever when he and his friends jumped on the table and started acting like dogs?

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
Now, I love Larry, but... not my type. Not even close.

Haha!
Thanks!  

DocLightning likes his guys fit and athletic.
I'm a fat pig.
Bring back the Concorde

fr8mech

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):
BTW, do you know which White Castle's Tony Menero (John Travolta) went to in the movie Saturday Night Fever when he and his friends jumped on the table and started acting like dogs?

At the time the movie was produced, I believe there were only 2 in Brooklyn, the aforementioned 4th & 30th and Ft. Hamilton Parkway & 42nd.

Even money as to which one in the late 70's, my guess, Ft. Hamilton
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

ATTart

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:46 pm

LOL.. So true!! When coming home from the parting all night long, in boy town. There was a White Castle on Addison, just before getting onto the tollway. Had to stop and load up for the ride home to Barrington Hills. The back seat of my Merc was loaded with empty containers.. MMMMMMMMM
Remember: When someone talks behind your back, it only means you're two steps ahead of them!

Superfly

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 35):
At the time the movie was produced, I believe there were only 2 in Brooklyn, the aforementioned 4th & 30th and Ft. Hamilton Parkway & 42nd.

Sad it's gone.  

I can see one on final approach to JFK out in Bayswater near Far Rockaway.
I should be ashamed for knowing where all these White Castle's are. 
Bring back the Concorde

Revelation

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Seems the closest one to me is the one in Yonkers, NY:

NY Area White Castles

You can pan and zoom the above to get a closer view.

Yonkers is about a 4 hour drive, so no dice.

In any case, I'm a vegetarian, so I have healtier ways to give myself the farts!

White Castle Locations by State

Aint this interweb thing cool!

compensateme

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:47 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 27):
White Castle, however, is one of the few things I miss about living in Michigan. It's one of those things, like Vernors, where if you didn't grow up with it, you won't appreciate it. Poor saps...

My parents favored "Top Hat," (a Detroit-area chain) which tasted similar to White Castle, but it went out of business in the early 1990s. Of course, White Castle has been affectionately nicknamed "rectum rockets."

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
Why is Checker so popular? They're an auto parts chain. The only food they sale is beef jerky.

Why's it popular? Because it's cheap. Honestly, I think Checkers taste better than McDonald's, Burger King or Wendy's. (Of course, that's not saying much.) I wish Carl's Jr. had locations in the Midwest Hardee's has few, and just doesn't taste the same. Plus nearly all of its Detroit-area locations were converted to Tim Horton's (yum) years ago.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 21):
The only "premium burger" place I can see around here is Five Guys, and they don't seem to be doing that much business at all. They are sandwiched between the two best Chinese places in the area so I don't know if they picked the best spot to be.

Although many consider In-N-Out to be a premium burger, its food is priced similar to McDonald's. E.g. its fries (single size) are priced at about $1.30, which is the same as a small fry at McDonald's, yet the quality and portion is significantly greater.

jetstar

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:16 am

Growing up in New York City, we had a White Castle about 5 blocks from where we lived. My father loved White Castle burgers and I have many memories of walking over to WC on a Saturday or Sunday along with my mother and brother.

Back then the burgers were .06 cents, (I don't want to date myself, but I am in my late 60s) and the menu then consisted of only White Castles, fries and sodas, they did not even offer cheese on the burgers and back then they even had car hop service for those that drove in.

The burgers were cooked if I remember back when 24 at a time on a grill that was just a little bit larger than the 24 patties placed on the grill, I think they were placed 4 across and 6 up. After all the patties were placed on the grill atop a bed of onions, the burger buns was placed on top of the patties covering them. I read somewhere that the reason for the holes in the patties was it allowed then to cook faster and the steam from the cooking burgers and onions permeated into the buns placed on top of the cooking patties, so they were basically both grilled and steamed at the same time. They usually had 2 grills going at the same time so they usually had a fresh batch every 2 or 3 minutes or so.

White Castle was probably the first multi store fast food burger chain, they were there way before McDonalds, Burger King and all the other burger chains.

I still go past the old neighborhood every once in a while and the White Castle is still there, the old building was torn down after they built a new one in the parking lot many years ago, but it is still in the same location for over 60 years

Quoting Revelation (Reply 13):
Sounds like a sure fire recipe for a good case of the farts!

Back when I visited a friend in college, he and his roommates got a big bag of sliders and then farted the whole place out, it was truly disgusting! Good thing their apartment had a balcony! We were all out there, even though it was the dead of winter!

Same here, for some reason as I got older I could not tolerate onions any more, if I had any White Castles today, even if I scraped the onions off of the burgers, the onion juice would still be absorbed into the burgers, about 12 hours later you would not want to be in the same room with me if you get my drift, I would probably have to load up on both Immodium AD and GAS-X just to keep from getting thrown out of the house by my wife.

JetStar

Superfly

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:24 am

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 39):
Why's it popular? Because it's cheap. Honestly, I think Checkers taste better than McDonald's, Burger King or Wendy's.

You're eating windshield washer blades and drinking motor oil?  Wow!
The ONLY Checker I know is an auto parts chain.
Bring back the Concorde

ltbewr

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:51 am

Ah yes, belly bombers, shadows between a bun, sliders, Brillo pads (about the same size of the square dishwashing scouring pads), fart bombs, yes I have had 100's of White Castle burgers, sober, drunk, with contact highs, at noon and 2 AM for about 40 years. Unfortunately in recent years, with the dollar/value menus of the other chains, I rarely go to them anymore. But once in a blue moon I will get the carving passing by one and make the turn for a few with cheese with a drink and fries and maybe some onion rings.

Checkers is also close to me in an 'urban' area and I like their burgers and their seasoned fries. Double drive up windows for fast service.Yum sober or buzzed. For those ignorant of Checkers here is their website: http://checkers.com/

compensateme

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:01 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):
You're eating windshield washer blades and drinking motor oil?  The ONLY Checker I know is an auto parts chain.

LOL, Checkers was formerly known as Rally's here. Same food, same menu. They re-branded all the restaurants yet began opening up Rally's-branded resturants in new markets including SoCal.  
Quoting ltbewr (Reply 42):
Unfortunately in recent years, with the dollar/value menus of the other chains, I rarely go to them anymore. But once in a blue moon I will get the carving passing by one and make the turn for a few with cheese with a drink and fries and maybe some onion rings.

That's my problem as well. With a White Castle cheeseburger costing approximately $1, and consisting primarily of bun, I tend to eat elsewhere when seeking fast food.

[Edited 2012-06-12 18:03:47]

Revelation

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:37 am

Quoting jetstar (Reply 40):
I have many memories of walking over to WC on a Saturday or Sunday along with my mother and brother.

Appropriately enough, in Europe the abbreviation WC is for "water closet", i.e. toilet. 
After all the patties were placed on the grill atop a bed of onions

Ah, so that's how they do it! Thanks for the description. Of course, it's all those onions and greasy hamburg, frequently washed down with beer, that leads to the heavy duty gas.

I would probably have to load up on both Immodium AD and GAS-X just to keep from getting thrown out of the house by my wife.

LOL! It's no fun to sleep in the dog house!

DocLightning

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:48 am

I'm a fat pig.

Hey, you seem to get laid a lot, so it works for you!

And go for "steer" instead of pig...
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Okie

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:28 am

Back in the 70's & 80's White Castle stores used to have what was called a "Jet Pack". One Hundred fully cooked frozen hamburgers completely cooked in one large box that had a styrofoam cooler inside. I think it cost something like $38.00

Now that brings back memories. White Castle was not available in Oklahoma and myself and friends would Air Freight in 4 or 5 "jet packs" for special occasions as in a football game and all congregate at the one guys house that had a "big screen" In those days a big screen was projection TV the size of a delivery van and cost the same.
All to be washed down with the appropriate amount of "suds". Good Times!

Okie

PHX787

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:28 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
So, PHX787, wanna come to Burning Man?

LOL! Fat chance 

Guess who is skinny and raunchy? That's me. I may look athletic in my photos but trust me I'm about 30lbs underweight. I make up for it for being tall.

TSS

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:12 am

To tell you the truth, I don't know how Krystal Burger got away without a copyright infrigement lawsuit from White Castle. The only differences I saw between the two was that Krystal Burgers came with mustard and katsup on them and didn't have holes in the burger like White Castle did. Otherwise they are pretty much the same.

If the Krystal burgers you tried in Texas had ketchup on them, then they weren't prepared properly. True Krystals have only mustard, grilled diced onions, and a pickle on them.

I'm a fat pig.

No, you're just a guy who clearly enjoys every aspect of life to the fullest and isn't ashamed to wear the outward signs of a life well-lived and thoroughly enjoyed.

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 39):
Honestly, I think Checkers taste better than McDonald's, Burger King or Wendy's.

As do I, although the local version here is Rally's and not Checkers.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

detroitflyer

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:25 am

They are delicious...BUT

Some people who have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) should stay away from White Castle. It'll really get your stomach going!

There is a reason why when you google: why does whitecastle .... (make you poop) is the first suggestion.

They really do turn your stomach inside out.
Boiler Up!!!