Ps76
Topic Author

Your All Time Favourite Breakfast Cereal!

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:44 am

Hi!

Sorry for a pretty stupid thread but thought it might be interesting for those that eat breakfast cereal what their favourite one was. For me there is no contest:

We used to have this cereal as kids when visiting family in the US and I've never grown out of it. Unfortunately they don't sell it in the UK except in some department stores where it's 7 pounds a box (about 12 dollars)! Sure we have Frosties and Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and stuff in the UK which are pretty good but Lucky Charms will always be my favourite.

Any opinions welcome.

Many thanks,

Pierre

oldman55

RE: Your All Time Favourite Breakfast Cereal!

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:26 am

Lately I've had a craving for General Mills "Cinnamon Toast Crunch". Its got to be that brand; specifically, no cheap generics LOL.I also want Coke; not some cheap cola  
too bad most of us get too soon old and too late smart

2707200X

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:34 am

When I was young I loved Cocoa Puffs, I loved it in the end when the milk tasted and looked like cocoa. My second favorite and a very close second favorite was Lucky Charms, when I was hungry later in the day I would snack on the marshmallow its until they where almost all gone and I was bummed in the morning. My third favorite or favorites varied from Count Chocula, Frosted Flakes and Rice Krispies and Fruit Loops. Man did that cereal go fast when I was at it.

"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

UK_Dispatcher

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQrZ6cMSYuI&feature=related

Kellogs Start - I used to love it as a kid but haven't seen it for years. Apparently you can still get it in the UK but I live abroad now. I might have to buy a few boxes next time I visit home!

TSS

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:29 am

Another vote for Lucky Charms here. They are indeed magically delicious! Also, the non-marshmallow pieces look just like cheap dry cat food, which is cool in a weird way.      
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

NZ107

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:27 am

Nothing can beat Honey Bunches of Oats for me.. Been 'importing' them for years now as my only source is USA!

It's all about the destination AND the journey.

reddevl442

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:35 am

Mostly I stick to "adult" cereals, usually Raisin Bran or something. When I feel like having a "kiddie" cereal it's Trix for me.
Did I have a dream...or did the dream have me??

einsteinboricua

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:44 pm

When I was a kid:
Notice the shapes

Now:

I always make a mixture of these three cereals. The balance of sweetness and nutrition just can't be beat by any other cereal.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Klaus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:01 pm

The pre-packaged stuff is massively oversweetened (in some cases via excessive amounts of raisins). You could eat a piece of cake or cookies just as well, and besides being extremely sweet there's little if any actual flavour and after the initial sugar shock it has little lasting nutritional value.

My favourite: Proper organic oat flakes, nuts, almonds and/or roasted coconut slices, a decent pich of bourbon vanilla, a very slight pinch of salt, some fresh fruit and whole milk, no added sugar. Delicious!   

Aeri28

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Either

Raisin Bran (Post brand)
or
Rice Chex (the corn will do as well)

I used to love captain crunch when I was a kid. Remeber when they had those red berrie things in there? (Or am I mistaking that for something else... this would be the 70s)

fridgmus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:25 pm

"Captain Crunch with Crunchberries"!

Nothing and I mean nothing, can compare to my favorite cereal. I can go through a whole box in one sitting.......which is why I don't get them anymore!!!

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

Aeri28

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 10):

Yes, that's it! nom nom nom
I liked how it sort of made your milk pinkish...

Braniff747SP

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:28 am

The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

EricR

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 10):

A little too sweet for my taste now, but this was definitely my favorite when I was a kid.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 8):
The pre-packaged stuff is massively oversweetened (in some cases via excessive amounts of raisins). You could eat a piece of cake or cookies just as well, and besides being extremely sweet there's little if any actual flavour and after the initial sugar shock it has little lasting nutritional value.

My favourite: Proper organic oat flakes, nuts, almonds and/or roasted coconut slices, a decent pich of bourbon vanilla, a very slight pinch of salt, some fresh fruit and whole milk, no added sugar.

How come you are using whole milk instead of skim milk in your nutritional breakfast?

RussianJet

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Thread starter):
Any opinions welcome.

They're magically delicious.

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 3):
Kellogs Start

Start was awesome. Can't say that I've seen it around for a very long time.

My personal favourite - Weetabix. With milk and a little brown sugar.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Klaus

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:28 pm

Quoting EricR (Reply 13):
How come you are using whole milk instead of skim milk in your nutritional breakfast?

Because that would be an abomination! 

It's primarily about actual, real flavours instead of the cheap and shallow chemical substitutes in the industrial sweets; The full cream in whole milk (preferably fresh, non-homogenized organic) is one of these great natural flavours. There's no need for any added sugar – there's so much real flavour in the fresh ingredients that it's completely redundant.

I eat very little meat and use relatively little fat for cooking otherwise, so I don't need to compensate my fat intake all that much (and at least to my taste skimmed milk is one of the nastiest, deadest things I know).

2707200X

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 am

Quoting oldman55 (Reply 1):
Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 7):

I forgot to add another favorite, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, I also loved every chocolate and cocoa cereal in the available market when I was young.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 7):

I tasted Multi Grain Cheerios for the first time, I liked it, I expected it to be bland but I think I like it better than Honey Nut Cheerios, the cereal that I usually eat.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever