747400sp
Topic Author

Biggest Disappointment In Transportation?

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:05 am

Ok, I tried to slow down on posting more transportation topic, but I love transportation!  

There has been many disappointment in transportation for me. Form planes, ships buses,cars even train, and I wonder, what was some of your biggest disappointment in transportation?

For me.

Boeing, 2707 not being built

Mc Donnell Douglas, MD-12 not being built

FX and 5X canceling their A380Fs orders

US airlines not ordering A380s/748Is

FX ordering 763F instead of 764F, to replace their MD-10 fleet

Concordes retirement

White Star 1928 Oceanic, not being built

Not seeing the SS France/SS Norway, in person

RCCl cruise ship out sizing the QM2

Cunard, deciding to use the Q4 design, for the QE2, instead of the QM and QE like, Q3 design

Not seeing P&O's Canberra in person, it visit Los Angeles, on it's last cruise, but I did not find out until nearly a year later.

Crown Supercoaches, not being built anymore. Those thing would put a All American, Saf-T-Liner HDX and RE 300, to shame.

Infiniti, not produce their GT-R base, V8 powered sedan

Porsche, not producing their early 90's V8 powered sedan

BMW, not producing the M8

Union Pacific, taking the 265-H out of the SD-90 and replacing them with those small 16-710

EMD SD80s and SD90s, slow sales

The shout down of BNSF harbor subdivision

There is more, but I am almost out of time.

Braniff747SP

RE: Biggest Disappointment In Transportation?

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 am

Amtrak being severely underfunded by the federal government and it's lack of ridership.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

flymia

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:41 am

Watching Back To The Future Part 2 when I was 5 years old has made everything a disappointment  well they have about what 2.5 years left?

As for other realistic:
Chalks Ocean Airways going out of business after the crash of flt 101 and the Watson Islands Seaplane base never growing even though it now has commercial service again.

The Concorde retirement

VW not brining in the Amorak or Scirocco to the US.

Miami-Dade County doing very little metrorail expansion after passing a half penny tax.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

2707200X

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:43 am

Limitations on Long Beach Airport's slots. Though the policy was made when low bypass JT8D engines where common place on short to mid range airliners, planes are now quieter so the question should be brought up once the new terminal is completed.

Possible cancellation of the California high speed train.

For more of the wish list...

747-500X/600X/700X
747X stretch
Boeing NLA
DC-10 twin
L1011 twin
MD-12 double decker
DC-XX/11 twin jet
747-300 trijet / twinjet?
MD-90-55 stretch
717-300X
and of course the 2707, the one with the canard and swing wings
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

3DoorsDown

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:46 am

Not having a decent place around Sea-Tac airport to photograph from.
Anything having to do with transportation in the greater Seattle area.
Cancellation of the 757.

DocLightning

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:54 am

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 3):
747-500X/600X/700X
747X stretch

=748i

DC-10 twin
L1011 twin
DC-XX/11 twin jet

=767/777/A330/A350

MD-12 double decker

=A380  ( MD's model was prettier)

747-300 trijet / twinjet?

=777-300ER

MD-90-55 stretch
717-300X

Agreed. Pity rear-mounted engines just weren't as solid a design.

and of course the 2707, the one with the canard and swing wings

Yeah...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ltbewr

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:56 am

The destruction of the original Pennsylvania Station in NY City. I never got to see it, only the mess left underground.
The lack of real high-speed trains in the USA. I have been on 300 Kms trains in France in 1997 and like trains here would really make it easier to get around certain areas of the USA.
The post-9/11 security extremes at airports.
Almost no domestic 'widebody' flights. Ah, for the days when EWR-LAX was on a DC-10, 747 or maybe a 767, not a 737.
Never able to fly on the Concorde.

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:27 am

Government mandated CAFE laws!   

Mount Lowe Railway not being maintained and/or rebuild.
San Francisco MUNI train service being so unreliable.
BART being so expensive.
CTA bus fare increase.
Newer buses that no longer allow passengers to open the windows.

Chicago mayor Richard Daly destroying Meigs Field.
San Francisco decommissioning Crissy Field
Closing of Kai Tak

Destruction of I-480 Embarcadero freeway by local grandstanding politicians
Destruction of the US-101 Central freeway to 'save the environment' (make room for expensive condos).
San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge new eastern span being made in China instead of Gary, Indiana like the original eastern span.
Neglect and refusal to repave the Angeles Forest Highway beyond Red Box (Mt. Wilson junction).
Perpetual construction-roadwork in the Chicago metro area yet potholes remain.

The Mizar car/plane (flying Ford Pinto) not being successful.

747-stretch not being build.
TU-144 not being reliable
Boeing 2707SST not being build
No US airliner buying the A340, A380 and 747-8I
Midwest Airlines going under
Delta taking over Northwest.
Olympic Airways going under
Twins such as the 777 and A330 replacing majestic 4-engine 747s and A340s in some airline fleets.

Lincoln not building the 2004 Continental concept.
General Motors discontinuing the b-body sedans & wagons after 1996.
Chrysler's 2.2 liter turbo engine
Oldsmobile's gas to diesel conversion
Cadillac's 4/6/8 V8 from 1981
California High Speed Rail boondoggle
Cash for clunkers program

[Edited 2012-06-18 21:01:12]
Bring back the Concorde

PPVRA

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:36 am

The whole MD-11 failure thing is pretty sad, and that of course means no chance for a MD-XX Stretch. . . what a sexy plane. . .
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 am

Quoting ppvra (Reply 8):
The whole MD-11 failure thing is pretty sad,

Agreed and the first Varig MD-11s were gorgeous!
Sad to see Vargi gone and the MD-11 leaving passenger service. We at least still have KLM for about another year.
Bring back the Concorde

SmithAir747

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 am

My disappointments or missed opportunities in transport:

Aviation:

-Never having the opportunity to fly Pan Am (I always wanted, when I was a wee lad, to fly on their 747s)
-Never having flown on the L-1011 (my 2nd favourite after the 747)
-Never having flown on an Aer Lingus 747 (I am Irish, and loved the image of a green 747)
-Not yet had the opportunity to take flying lessons (I still plan to, someday...)
-Not having started flying commercially earlier than 1993 when I was 18
-Not having visited the new IND terminal (IND was my first airport I flew out of, in 1993)
-Not having yet been in the new LHR Terminal 5 (I lived in London 3 years, whilst T5 was being built)
-Not having experienced a flight on Concorde
-Not having yet had the opportunity to fly on the A380 (but I still have plenty of time to get on one)
-Never had the opportunity to fly on a Soviet built airliner (although I enjoyed seeing TU-154s and IL-96s at LHR)
-In short, I was kind of born too late (1975) to experience flying most of the "classic" airliners in my lifetime, before the new wave of mostly twinjet airliners came
-The paranoid atmosphere and security theatre that now characterises the US airport experience
-The nickeling and diming, and lack of service, that now occur in US domestic air travel in Y (which is getting more cramped too)

Automobiles:

-I really miss the full-sized station wagons (I grew up with a 1976 Buick Century wagon and a 1978 Chrysler LeBaron Town & Country)
-The proliferation of boring minivans and bloated SUVs that have replaced station wagons for family transport
-The proliferation of look-alike, forgettable sedans and other cars (imports as well as US cars trying to copy the imports)
-The jelly-bean aesthetic of today's cars
-The other extreme of automobile design: the trend to be as ugly as possible
-No more classy looking cars other than the rare Rolls Royce, Jaguar, etc.; nothing like the US full-size sedans and wagons before the mid-1990s/2000s
-Auto ownership becoming more and more economically unfeasible (higher purchase prices, higher gas prices, fees, repairs, rising insurance, etc) yet people not living in a handful of major US cities have to rely on cars and crowded infrastructure to get around

Other land transport:

-No extensive long-distance railways like those in Europe
-Amtrak tries its best (and I enjoyed my recent first Amtrak trip, on Pacific Surfliner), but cannot reach a lot of the USA
-San Francisco's poorly-maintained Muni bus and LRV system; Muni's poor reliability and on-time performance
-Most US cities are so car-dependent, and have little or no semblance of a public transport system; glaring exceptions are NYC, Chicago, and Boston
-European cities (I have lived in London, so I have experience) could teach US cities a LOT about efficient transport!

Ocean travel:

-Never having had the opportunity to sail on QE2, the last of the true great ocean liners
-Not having yet had the opportunity to cross the Atlantic on any ocean liner (once again, born too late for that)
-I hope to cross the Atlantic at least once on QM2 soon before I lose this opportunity forever
-Besides QM2, there is really no regular ocean crossing by ship, neither is it offered as a leisurely alternative to crowded airliners and jet lag

Alternative transport:

-As of yet, no teleportation

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

hoons90

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:22 am

- Hardly any 727s, L-1011s, 707s, DC-8s, and DC-10s left that I can fly on as a passenger
- Whenever the "A" Train runs local
- Orion Buses ceasing production
- Retirement of Toronto's H4 subway trains and the impending retirement of the H5 and H6 cars that are being sold to Lagos, Nigeria
- Retirement of New York's R38 and R40 Slant subway trains
- Filthy, graffiti-laden interiors of MUNI buses. I'm by no means a resident of San Francisco so I can't really comment on its reliability over a longer period of time, but I've heard it's bad.
- Rude drivers and passengers on Miami-Dade Transit
- High fares on the London Underground especially when crossing into different zones
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:38 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 10):
-European cities (I have lived in London, so I have experience) could teach US cities a LOT about efficient transport!
Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 11):
- High fares on the London Underground especially when crossing into different zones

SmithAir747, I hear what you're saying about European rail but as HOONS90 pointed out, it's very expensive. Even the San Francisco BART is more expensive than driving a large V8 powered SUV.
Granted the cost of gas is higher in Europe and I'm not sure if the US is willing to pay so much money to ride on a congested public train when they can drive in the comfort of their own Cadillac or Buick and not limited to just where the train tracks go.

- Filthy, graffiti-laden interiors of MUNI buses. I'm by no means a resident of San Francisco so I can't really comment on its reliability over a longer period of time, but I've heard it's bad.

Bad is an understatement. Unless you can afford a multi-million dollar condo downtown or in the picturesque hills on the northeast side of town, you need a car in San Francisco to get around. MUNI gives false hope. It's so slow an unreliable. At times it can be unsafe as well.
Bring back the Concorde

September11

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:49 am

So far, my two biggest disappointments:

* have not had the opportunity to visit Europe

* have not had the opportunity to fly on 777
Airliners.net of the Future

bohica

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:56 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
San Francisco MUNI train service being so unreliable.
San Francisco's poorly-maintained Muni bus and LRV system; Muni's poor reliability and on-time performance
Filthy, graffiti-laden interiors of MUNI buses. I'm by no means a resident of San Francisco so I can't really comment on its reliability over a longer period of time, but I've heard it's bad.

I grew up in San Francisco in the 70's and 80's and moved out of the Bay Area in 1991. I see nothing has changed with MUNI after all these years.  

The biggest disappointment is the lack of high speed passenger rail service in the USA.

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:20 am

Quoting bohica (Reply 14):
I grew up in San Francisco in the 70's and 80's and moved out of the Bay Area in 1991. I see nothing has changed with MUNI after all these years.

At least back then, MUNI used the Boeing street cars that allowed you to open the window when a smelly hippy or homeless person gets on the train. The new Breta cars windows do not open so you're stuck with the bad odor.
You also had the Embarcadero and Central freeways too which allowed easier access in & out of the city. Now you're forced to sit in traffic at the street level and very expensive condominiums have gone up in it's place.

Quoting bohica (Reply 14):
The biggest disappointment is the lack of high speed passenger rail service in the USA.

Thank the NIMBY's, environmentalist and corrupt, well connected political cronies for that.   

I should ad the closing of the NUMMI GM plant, Ford Wixom plant and all other automotive factories in the US.

The loss of AMC, Packard, Studebaker, Stutz and Pierce Arrow.
Bring back the Concorde

af773atmsp

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:12 am

Cars:
-minivans being replaced by crossover SUVs because they look "cooler"
-lack of station wagons in the USA
-discontinuation of the Mercury brand
-all the new cars look pretty much the same

Trains:
-no high speed rail in the USA
-NIMBYs killing off some proposed commuter or light rail projects in Minneapolis
-Amtrak pretty much being a joke besides the Northeast, California, and a few other areas
-media constantly ripping on trains

Airplanes:
-DL order of 787s being deferred to 2020
-no more 747 service by DL to MSP
-Champion Air ceasing operations when oil prices began to spike
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

mad99

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:35 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
We at least still have KLM for about another year.

Is KLM going to replace these? I fly on these all the time.

Aaron747

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:26 am

The fact that, except for 14 European jetliners that are all retired, average cruise speeds have not gone higher than mach .85 since the late 1950s!!!!!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:15 am

Quoting mad99 (Reply 17):
Is KLM going to replace these?

They announced that they will retired them in 2015.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 18):
The fact that, except for 14 European jetliners that are all retired, average cruise speeds have not gone higher than mach .85 since the late 1950s!!!!!

That is very sad.
Not only that, these new modern twins coming out today can't even go as fast as the older subsonic aircraft such as the CV880. I think the 747 is the only aircraft left that can cruise at mach .92.
Bring back the Concorde

MIAspotter

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:32 am

-Besides QM2, there is really no regular ocean crossing by ship, neither is it offered as a leisurely alternative to crowded airliners and jet lag

Most Cruise companies offer transatlantic crossings from Europe to the USA when their ships finish their European seasons.
they may not have the grandeur and pomp of the QE2 but if you just want to realise your atlantic crossing dream...

As for me.

Aviation.

A318 not being succesful, thus having frames being broken up (sad)
Not being able to fly on Concorde (at least I got to see it a few times in LHR)
Swissair   
Sabena   

Cars.
Saab gone bust  

Trains.
meh.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

ArmitageShanks

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:29 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 1):
Amtrak being severely underfunded by the federal government and it's lack of ridership.

The government should get out of the train business. Long distance train travel is awful. It's expensive and slow, and I work on the railroad!

I can pay slightly more for a plane ticket and be there hours, and sometimes days before, and I still get a free coke!

[Edited 2012-06-19 02:35:26]

dc9northwest

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:36 am

10-abreast seating on 777s...

DL moving from 2-5-2 to 3-3-3 in their 777s... Sad, sad day.

US airlines racing to the bottom...

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 21):

The government should get out of the train business. Long distance train travel is awful. It's expensive and slow, and I work on the railroad!

Deutsche Bahn is pretty good, fast, and they have a lot of discounts. (But are they state-owned?)

Spain on the other hand... you're right there! Might be fast, but the tickets are very expensive and the website was absolutely useless in getting any discounts...

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 am

Amtrak is fine and I have no problem with the slow trains and lack of ridership and it's not a huge waste of money. I don't mind the subsidy. It's a very calm and relaxing way to travel as long as you're not in a rush. I don't mind the old interiors either. The seats are very comfortable as a result. On long distance trains, the seats recline and are on par with the old style first class seats on airplanes.
Bring back the Concorde

mad99

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
They announced that they will retired them in 2015.

Thanks.
I imagine the 'its paid for' only goes so far.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
I think the 747 is the only aircraft left that can cruise at mach .92.

I think your right. This is my biggest disappointment...
From mad to lax your travel time is like 24 hrs door to door. Remember the sonic cruser concept. I think it was going to slash travel times on long flights by like the above by like an hour...what's the point.

windy95

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):

Took a cruise on the Norway back in 1991. What a great ship.

Chicago mayor Richard Daly destroying Meigs Field.

Loved flying into Meig's. Would have some lunch somewhere and then head back up to Palwaukee field.

Biggest disapointment would have to be overall Auto technology especially when it comes to engines and MPG. Look at advancement's from the Wright flyer to the SR-71 or the Commodore 64 to the latest computers technology seemed to explode in these areas. It just seems that in the Auto industry we are still stuck in the 1970's.

MadameConcorde

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:31 pm

No more flying Concordes - turned into museum artifacts.

No more flying Space Shuttles - turned into museum artifacts.

QE2 sold to Dubai by Cunard/Carnival Corp. now a useless decorating object in Port Rashid
they don't even let us access the pier!

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

falstaff

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Cadillac's 4/6/8 V8 from 1981

Lets not forget the HT-4100.... That thing was terrible.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
It's so slow an unreliable

Especially those modern streetcars. If they ran PCC cars all over the line things would be fine. PCCs are old, but simple.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

ozglobal

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Not at all; It's just that the US and UK have not found a successful infrastructure model for a public / private hybrid. Many other countries have and they can learn from them rather than make excuses or reject the whole mode of trasport; they convince noone...

Mine:

Rail:

The loss of leading position of the US and UK in rail in the early 20th century due, not just to the advent of air travel, but also to short term thinking and government-business corruption (e.g. GM)
No HSR : SYD-CBR-MEL where the case for a hybrid public / private model is one of the world's strongest
No real HSR on NE corridor in the US where DC- NYC - BOS at 320km/h would be such a great service
No real HSR in UK except on HS1; However, the new Flying Scotsmen looks like a real option even at current speeds

Air:

CDG, CDG, CDG (except 2E & G)
LHR, LHR, LHR - especially anything involving a terminal transfer or getting a bag from on plane to another...
Airport security theatre
LCC's that are not low cost, just low service
The jaded character of most US legacy carriers (UA-CO seems to be a positive evolution however)
Air France aircraft exterior hygine, ground staff service, premium cabin strategy, management, ....
Qantas boards and CEOs in the last 15 years running a great airline's internation operations into the ground (even if the QF A380 is a splendid experience)

Metropolitain:

Lack of effienent public transport in the US
Cost of public transport in London
Loss of the street cars in US cities like NY which would be so much better than the taxi culture

However, I would say on balance we are in a better age now than 30 years ago, all things considered...

[Edited 2012-06-19 08:04:37]
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

aloges

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:36 pm

How come nobody has mentioned airships? As great as the idea sounds, the track record is less than impressive. Almost all of them have ended up in bits draped over a particularly inaccessible piece of countryside, or in the ocean, or burnt to a crisp. Others like the ill-fated CargoLifter have never even been built.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

AviRaider

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Space:
No clear direction on the future of manned US space flight.
Retiring the Space Shuttles
Discountinuing the Saturn 5 rocket.
Johnson Space Center not being given a retired Shuttle.

Road:
The insane cost over runs and construction expenses for new freeways.
US auto makers who deviate way too much from original concept to end up making a subpar product.
No changes to the Gas Tax which has stiffled road projects.
NIMBYs who complain about road projects and then complain about not having enough roads.

Rail:
Lack of forsight in the past into seeing the real potential in High Speed Rail.
The destroying of streetcar lines in the mid 20th century and not seeing their true value.
Passenger Rail

Air:
Non-Ticketed people not being able to go gate side.
No surviving Boeing 314 flying boats.
Destruction of Meigs Field
Canceling the XB-70 Valyrie program.
The outrageous expense of flight training.
The decline of turbo-prop service in the US
The decline of airship travel.
Not continuing the Boeing SST.
No audio recording of the B58 Hustler.
The technology slow down and steps backward for aviation as a whole.

Braniff747SP

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Absolutely not. It is an essential service for many areas; an alternative to Greyhound (which is garbage) for cheap travel.

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 28):

Not at all; It's just that the US and UK have not found a successful infrastructure model for a public / private hybrid. Many other countries have and they can learn from them rather than make excuses or reject the whole mode of trasport; they convince noone...

max999

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 pm

In the US, not enough funding for high speed rail didn't going to the Northeast...where the service would get the most use out of anywhere else in the country.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

stlgph

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:54 pm

TWA going out of business
Delta/Northwest merger
lack of major crosstown/cross-borough NYC subway services
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 27):
If they ran PCC cars all over the line things would be fine.

San Francisco government officials protect those as the sacred cows of the the MUNI fleet. The rest of the fleet is neglected.

Quoting mad99 (Reply 24):
I think your right. This is my biggest disappointment...

Which is why I am completely unimpressed by the 787, 777, A330 and other twins. Unless you're a bean countering exec, there is NOTHING to get excited about with these aircraft.

Quoting mad99 (Reply 24):
Remember the sonic cruser concept. I think it was going to slash travel times on long flights by like the above by like an hour...what's the point.

Even that was a compromise from the Concorde, TU-144 and Boeing2707 concept.

Quoting windy95 (Reply 25):
Loved flying into Meig's. Would have some lunch somewhere and then head back up to Palwaukee field.

I'm so jealous! I HATE you!
Quoting falstaff (Reply 27):
Lets not forget the HT-4100.... That thing was terrible.

At least that led to the 4.9 liter that was featured in the 1991 Cadillac Seville & Eldorado - the ultimate compact luxury urban vehicle that can haul some serious @$$.

Also worth noting; - the Boeing Pelican
That could have served an arena where Queen Elizabeth Cruise Liners and aviation could unite.
Just image how opulent the interiors those Pelicans could have been. I deal for those who are afraid of flying, yet can still fly and see the world's oceans.

[Edited 2012-06-19 09:23:09]
Bring back the Concorde

Braniff747SP

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Quoting max999 (Reply 32):

In the US, not enough funding for high speed rail didn't going to the Northeast...where the service would get the most use out of anywhere else in the country.

What? The NEC is where the Acela is... the only true high-speed train in Amtrak's network.

max999

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 35):
What? The NEC is where the Acela is... the only true high-speed train in Amtrak's network.

It only goes above 150MPH for short segments in Rhode Island and MA. Most of the time, the trains in the Northeast are stuck around 90 - 100 MPH in NJ and even slower speeds in CT.

The Northeast Corridor could use much, much more in the way of improvements.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Braniff747SP

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Quoting max999 (Reply 36):
It only goes above 150MPH for short segments in Rhode Island and MA. Most of the time, the trains in the Northeast are stuck around 90 - 100 MPH in NJ and even slower speeds in CT.

It's still better than any other Amtrak set of routes; the fastest they get anywhere else is about 110MPH. 90-100 sounds like a dream...

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 37):
It's still better than any other Amtrak set of routes;

Nope!   
In terms of speed, yes but in terms of cool factor and experience, no way!
The best is the Coast Starlight;

Amtrak - Coast Starlight; Aerobalance, Kevin L1011 (by Superfly Jan 15 2008 in Non Aviation)#1
Bring back the Concorde

ozglobal

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Quoting max999 (Reply 36):
Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 35):

The Northeast Corridor could use much, much more in the way of improvements.

Right. The Acela trainset is HS CAPABLE; it is not a true HSR service in today's form. DC-NYC is rough as guts, going at improved speed on a century old rail corridor with some tweaking.... NYC-BOS is a slow boat to China... As I said earlier, there is a huge market for it if it could get there (I know it's not easy...  )
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

petertenthije

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Fokker's bankruptcy.
Dornier's bankruptcy.
The near-death of most Soviet plane manufacturers / design bureaux.
Ryanair. (someone had to say it  )
Attamottamotta!

aloges

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 40):
Ryanair

How do you disappoint when there aren't any but the lowest expectations in the first place?  duck 

[Edited 2012-06-19 10:38:31]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

747400sp
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:59 pm

There is more, but I am almost out of time.

Here is some more.

LACMTA, retiring their Neoplan AN 122/3 Skyliners.
The recent retirment of their RTS's and Cumming L10 powered AN 440 is disapointing.

AVTA, retiring their Neoplan 122/3 Skyliners, with MIC D series, instead of Van Hool TD925, and the retirment of their 8V92 power AN 340 Metroliners.

Not being able to enjoy seeing a lot of the 8v-71 powered slope back GMC RTS's and Grumman 870's, in action.

HRT retirment of their DD 50 powered Gillig Phantoms

My school district, switching from type D tranisit school buses to type C

Not seeing a 747SP, taking off on the LAX-SYD route

Not seeing the QM2, in person yet.

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 42):
Not seeing a 747SP, taking off on the LAX-SYD route

Come here to Bangkok.
Iran Air flies their 747-SP here to BKK.
I got a photo 1 month ago.
Since you like buses, you'd appreciate our durable Hino AK-146 and Izusu MT111QB and Mitsubishi RP118 that still has wooden plank floors, many of them with missing speedometers, ceiling fans and crowbars used as gear shifters. It's totally old school and very reliable.

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 42):
My school district

You're in the 26-35 age bracket.
You should have finished school and have a car by now.   
Bring back the Concorde

Braniff747SP

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 38):

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 37):
It's still better than any other Amtrak set of routes;

Nope!   
In terms of speed, yes but in terms of cool factor and experience, no way!
The best is the Coast Starlight;

I meant in speed. Amtrak LD trains are a totally different experience than Acela, often travelling through beautiful places. The only LD train I've done is the CS; I hope to change that soon if at all possible. The northern portion of the CS is a beautiful ride.

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 44):
I meant in speed. Amtrak LD trains are a totally different experience than Acela

The Acela prices rival airfare. The only advantage is that you don't have to go through a full body cavity inspection prior to boarding. You don't have to worry about Agent Fleming going roto-rooter on you.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Cunard, deciding to use the Q4 design, for the QE2, instead of the QM and QE like, Q3 design

Q3 was the wrong ship, it was a pure tranatlantic liner, liners were on there way out, Cunard realised this and built a truly innovative ship, had Q3 been built it would have been scrapped in the late 70's or be tied up at a wharf like SS United States.

RCCl cruise ship out sizing the QM2

There will always be something bigger around the corner

I have, both SS France and later as SS Norway, you didn't miss much

Porsche, not producing their early 90's V8 powered sedan

There were never really serious about it, besides they built the Boxster instead, a much better fit for Porsche at the time.

Infiniti, not produce their GT-R base, V8 powered sedan

Looks like Infiniti will produce a coupe based on the platform and power unit of the GT-R, also why a V8, there isn't a V8 anywhere that's as impressive as that TT V6, it's a truly astonishing engine that can produce massive amounts of HP very easily without heaps of mods.

sturmovik

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Quoting ppvra (Reply 8):
MD-XX

Never heard of that before, so I googled it.. and what a nice looking bird. Pity it didn't get built.

My own list includes :

Retirement : L-1011, Concorde, SR-71, Caravelle ..

Regrets : It looks like I might never fly on Tu-154, MD-11, L-1011.. maybe even the A345.

Could-have-beens : Do-728, TSR2, Tu-144 (I know a few were produced, I just wish they were more successful)

Hopeful : that the 2nd An-225 gets built someday, that maybe one Tu-144 and one Caravelle will be restored to flight someday..
'What's it doing now?'

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:40 pm

I also with the McDonald 119 was a more successful business jets.

Quoting sturmovik (Reply 47):
Regrets : It looks like I might never fly on Tu-154, MD-11, maybe even the A345.

You can still fly on those.
Bring back the Concorde

sturmovik

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 48):
You can still fly on those.

By the time I save up to do a trip, those planes will be long gone  
'What's it doing now?'