hoons90

Cashier Forgot To Scan Item. Bring It Back?

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:36 am

Let's say you went shopping at H&M (or Forever 21, or Nordstrom, etc.) and you bought a few shirts, a pair of jeans and a bundle of socks. You check out, and as you get to your car, you decide to check the receipt and realize that the cashier forgot to scan the bundle of socks that were selling for $10.

Would you go back and honestly return it, or would you just forget about it? What if it was a cheaper/pricier item? Bear in mind that you only found out after you have left the store.

Would you be afraid of being accused of shoplifting and that you're just returning it because you feel guilty?

Would returning it actually get the cashier in trouble? Remember the item wasn't scanned, so there would be no record of it on the computer.

What would you do if you noticed it while you were still checking out?
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

JETnyc

RE: Cashier Forgot To Scan Item. Bring It Back?

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:43 am

I would mayb take it back and have a clean mind..

3DoorsDown

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:48 am

Seriously? You have to ask?

hoons90

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:21 am

Quoting 3DoorsDown (Reply 2):
Seriously? You have to ask?

Why not?

Some people have a strong aversion for dishonesty and feel guilt more easily than others, even if it's over a small thing.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

Jetsgo

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:39 am

A few yeas ago I bought a 49ers jacket at JC Penny. On the rack, it said something like $80, however it must have been tagged wrong because I only spent $10 and change... and it certainly wasn't a $10 jacket. I kept my mouth shut, thanked the lady, and left. No regret, no feeling of dishonesty. Mistakes happen, and it just so happens they made one.   
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Ken777

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:43 am

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 4):
I bought a 49ers jacket

Considering it was a 49ers jacket you probably paid market value.  Wow!

Jetsgo

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 5):
Considering it was a 49ers jacket you probably paid market value.

Story of my life... 
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:58 am

Quoting HOONS90 (Thread starter):
Forever 21,

Mike, may I ask why you're shopping at Forever 21?   
Bring back the Concorde

AR385

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:59 am

I would not be afraid of returning for being accused of shoplifting. Nor would I feel guilty. I would return it because I believe in Karma.

That said, I would return it if I found out about it in the Parking lot. If to return it I would have to drive for 30mins. in traffic, after wok and tired, forget it. As Ken77 said, mistakes happen.

hoons90

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:03 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):

LOL! I haven't shopped there before. Was just throwing that option out there for those who do.

PHX787

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 9):
LOL! I haven't shopped there before. Was just throwing that option out there for those who do.

They have a mens section and plenty of my korean women friends shop there too  

My advice: Bring it back, cuz most likely, they'll let you keep it anyway, for your honesty  
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Aeri28

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:15 am

Nothing 'beeped' when you left the store?

filler
filler

compensateme

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:22 am

It's a form of conversion now that you're aware you did not pay for the goods:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_(law)

While it's unlikely the store will track you down, the morally & ethically right thing to do is to pay for the merchandise -- which you were planning to do anyway, right?

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 4):
A few yeas ago I bought a 49ers jacket at JC Penny. On the rack, it said something like $80, however it must have been tagged wrong because I only spent $10 and change... and it certainly wasn't a $10 jacket. I kept my mouth shut, thanked the lady, and left. No regret, no feeling of dishonesty. Mistakes happen, and it just so happens they made one.   

Wow, what a cheapskate. No wonder you don't feel bad about pocketing that dollar or two you were suppose to give the valet...

[Edited 2012-06-18 21:24:16]
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

dragon-wings

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:41 am

It has happened to me before. I did not return it and I do not feel guilty for not returing it.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

aloges

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:54 am

I was recently at a restaurant where the waitress wasn't up to the job. She was friendly and the food was good, but the needed three attempts to get the check right - and every time it was me who corrected her.

But a clothes shop is a different animal altogether. I imagine that you'd be accused of shoplifting faster than you can think "I wish I hadn't..."
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Mir

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:24 am

If I noticed it while I was still in the store, I'd definitely make sure I was charged properly for it. I'd probably do the same thing if I noticed it just after I had left.

But if it was after I got home, I probably wouldn't, unless it was with a store I had a relationship with. The store doesn't know me, the cashier probably won't recognize me (if it's the same cashier at all), they have no record of the transaction - it's not worth the hassle. But I wouldn't keep the item either - I'd donate it to charity.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Klaus

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:22 am

I usually check the receipt to remind myself how much I've spent on what.

If I find an accidental overcharge, I request a correction. So in my eyes it's only fair that I request a correction of an undercharge as well.

I'm ready to pay for the items I get. And fairness is not a one-way street.

AF1624

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:37 am

Short answer: no.

This doesn't mean I would steal anything. It just means that if the guy didn't scan it, it's his fault, a.k.a it's the shop's fault. Basically they're giving it to me for free.
Cheers

StarAC17

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:40 am

Would you go back and honestly return it, or would you just forget about it? What if it was a cheaper/pricier item? Bear in mind that you only found out after you have left the store.

For socks maybe, it probably depends how I feel about the store in question (ie, their customer service).

A few years ago I was sent out to get a lot of florescent light bulbs at the Home Depot and I was told to get about 30 and the boxes came in 30 (15 pack of 2 for that length). I grabbed a full box and the barcode on the box matched the one on the 2 packs inside and she charge me something like $2.65 for 30 bulbs. I did go back and tell them that it was a mistake and paid the difference.

Would returning it actually get the cashier in trouble? Remember the item wasn't scanned, so there would be no record of it on the computer.

Possibly depending on management but these things happen and a barcode reader can just plain suck sometimes. If there was a large queue of people behind you she might not have had the time to enter the item manually. If you go back in and try to defend the person I don't think they will get in any big trouble. Retailers account for this kind of thing all the time.

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 11):
Nothing 'beeped' when you left the store?

They wouldn't in their right mind spend the money putting those security tags on socks, those things are not cheap.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

AirPacific747

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:51 am

LOL my sister and I once went to a cafe in the middle of the city, had a cup of hot chocolate each and a piece of cake, and we were talking a lot about nothing, and accidentally left without paying. They didn't realize this in the cafe and we didn't realize until about 10 minutes after we left.. so we returned and paid but I honestly don't think they would have found out if we hadn't returned as they seemed surprised about it when we returned to pay. Very embarassing moment when we realized that we had left without paying..

For example in a supermarket, if the cashier forgets to scan an item but I notice this, I would tell him or her to remember to scan it. If I didn't notice until after I have left the supermarket, then I won't go back and inform them.

photoshooter

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Easy one Hoons... Leave and spend the $10 on something else. I never experienced this, well I might have but I (almost) never check the receipt which is very stupid, I know.

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 3):
Some people have a strong aversion for dishonesty and feel guilt more easily than others, even if it's over a small thing.

This world is getting too big to feel guilty for the slightest thing. 200 years ago, those $10 could make a difference for an independent seller who needed the $10 for paying the bills and feeding his family. The companies you are talking about (H&M) don't care about $10 any longer. So no reason to feel guilty about it.

Niek   
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

Klaus

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 17):
Short answer: no.

This doesn't mean I would steal anything. It just means that if the guy didn't scan it, it's his fault, a.k.a it's the shop's fault. Basically they're giving it to me for free.

Receiving fairness tends to skew others to treat people fairly as well.

I appreciate being treated with fairness and some measure of generousness, and that works really well only if I'm ready to reciprocate.

windy95

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:52 pm

If they double charged you on something would you go back?

Starbuk7

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 pm

When I am making purchases as these I watch every item scanned to verify the price on the display matches the price listed on the tag when purchasing since the tags are not always right. So usually in the store I know if everything was scanned or not.

fr8mech

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:26 pm

I'll admit, that when I was younger, there's a high probability that I would have walked away. But, now that I have children, and a little more wisdom and experience and knowledge, I absolutely would return to the store and pay for the item; whether the kids are with me or not.

Integrity is doing the right thing even if nobody is looking.

More often, what happens to me, when I check out at the grocery store, I'll overlook something in the cart. When I find the item, as I'm loading the car, I will always go back in and pay for the item.

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 12):
conversion

I learned something new today.   

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 20):
This world is getting too big to feel guilty for the slightest thing. 200 years ago, those $10 could make a difference for an independent seller who needed the $10 for paying the bills and feeding his family. The companies you are talking about (H&M) don't care about $10 any longer. So no reason to feel guilty about it.

That is rationalization and a poor excuse for theft (or conversion).

Quoting windy95 (Reply 22):

When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

dl021

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Basically you're asking if you should or shouldn't steal? Seriously? By living in this society where we have agreed to ot steal from ach other by societal compact, whether or ot we lock up or remember to set alarms, etc....by the act of walking into the store you have agreed to purchase what they are offering.....by taking advantage of an error on their part you are stealing from them in contravention of our societal compacts, both written and unwritten.

Plus, if you do that then you're indicating that your integrity has very low value to you and that you would be a douchebag.

I'm certain you would be the guy who points out to them the error and pays for the article because you can't be a buddy of Larry/Superfly and still be a douchebag!  Wink

[Edited 2012-06-19 06:45:37]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

hoons90

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 22):

Depends. If I noticed, let's say, a $10 overcharge on an item after I got back home from a shopping trip in Buffalo (which is a 1.5hr drive away), I'd probably just forget about it.

Quoting dl021 (Reply 25):
Basically you're asking if you should or shouldn't steal? Seriously?

I would think that shoplifting would be a different thing altogether, because in that case, there's a 'mens rea' involved.

I'm certain you would be the guy who points out to them the error and pays for the article.

When I notice at check-out or shortly thereafter, I would point it out for sure. If I notice after I get home from a shopping trip far away, it would become a dilemma especially if it would cost more to return the item and if there's a possibility of opening up a can of worms.

aloges

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:30 pm

by taking advantage of an error on their part you are stealing from them

No.   

It would only be stealing if it was premeditated. It wasn't, so nobody stole a thing in this case.

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 26):
if there's a possibility of opening up a can of worms.

Just imagine the trouble in store for the cashier. You may end up with an even heavier conscience if someone gets reprimanded or loses his/her job over this. In my earlier example:

Quoting aloges (Reply 14):
I was recently at a restaurant where the waitress wasn't up to the job. She was friendly and the food was good, but the needed three attempts to get the check right - and every time it was me who corrected her.

there wasn't any risk of that, because the only one aware of the problem was the waitress, but if you went to the shop and requested to talk to someone about the unscanned item, they'd probably contact a manager. Ouch.

Additionally, there's the previously mentioned risk of the shoplifting accusation. If the manager decides that you're just a shoplifter with a heavy conscience, you'll have a hard time convincing the police that you're not.

fr8mech

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 27):
It would only be stealing if it was premeditated. It wasn't, so nobody stole a thing in this case.

Once you become aware of the problem, and you do nothing, you are stealing. Imagine the bank makes an error in your favor. You are aware of the error and you spend the money. The bank finds the error and demands their money bank, you don't have enough. You will be prosecuted and probably go to jail.

Quoting aloges (Reply 27):
You may end up with an even heavier conscience if someone gets reprimanded or loses his/her job over this. In my earlier example:

That is really not a concern, at least for me. If someone makes a mistake that is costing the employer money, they should be reprimanded.

sw733

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:42 pm

I think it might depend. If it was a small, local shop, I probably would...if it were a big chain like the ones you mention, probably not. They have plenty of money and would never notice it's gone.

aloges

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 28):
Once you become aware of the problem, and you do nothing, you are stealing. Imagine the bank makes an error in your favor. You are aware of the error and you spend the money. The bank finds the error and demands their money bank, you don't have enough. You will be prosecuted and probably go to jail.

I'm sure that's written somewhere in the fine print of the contract I have with my bank - if there's any contract agreed upon by entering the store which involves a duty to return unscanned items, it does of course change the picture.

Tugger

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Let's say you went shopping at H&M (or Forever 21, or Nordstrom, etc.) and you bought a few shirts, a pair of jeans and a bundle of socks. You check out, and as you get to your car, you decide to check the receipt and realize that the cashier forgot to scan the bundle of socks that were selling for $10.

Would you be afraid of being accused of shoplifting and that you're just returning it because you feel guilty?

What would you do if you noticed it while you were still checking out?

Yes, I would go back and return it to pay for it. I was expecting to buy it it in the first place, why would I not pay for it? I really do apply the "golden rule" and "do unto others as I would have them do unto me".

I would not in any way be afraid of being accused of shoplifting.

It may or may not get the cashier in trouble. It really depends on the cashier and if they have had it happen to them before and how often. That is not my problem.

I have noticed that things were missed or mis-priced during check-out and brought it to the cashiers attention. I will not pay more than I expected just as I will pay for what I expected to buy.

I have given extra change back to the cashier when it has happened (yes, even walked back into the store to do so). I have informed the waiter/waitress if an item is left off my bill. I tell managers if service is excellent (or lousy). I try to live to my expectations.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

fr8mech

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 30):
I'm sure that's written somewhere in the fine print of the contract I have with my bank - if there's any contract agreed upon by entering the store which involves a duty to return unscanned items, it does of course change the picture.

I'd argue that you have an implied-in-fact contract with the retailer.

aloges

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 32):
I'd argue that you have an implied-in-fact contract with the retailer.

The major difference is that you do notice extra money in your bank account pretty much immediately. But lots of people don't ever look at their receipts for small purchases, so I remain wondering how an implied contract for a trivial transaction could amount to the same importance as a written and signed contract for a bank account.

fr8mech

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 33):
The major difference is that you do notice extra money in your bank account pretty much immediately. But lots of people don't ever look at their receipts for small purchases, so I remain wondering how an implied contract for a trivial transaction could amount to the same importance as a written and signed contract for a bank account.

I didn't say it carried the same importance.

I was just relating, that in my opinion, as soon as you become aware that you have walked out of a business without paying for a product, you are violating the contract, and are therefore, stealing the product.

compensateme

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:31 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 33):

Consider a scenario involving consumers using self-checkouts at Walmart:
- one consumer intendeds on purchasing two doughnuts, but rings up only one.
- the next consumer purchases an iPad, but rings it up as a dozen doughnuts.
In both scenarios, the self-checkout is unlikely to "catch" the error; neither was the single employee attending six-eight lanes simultaneously.

The first consumer stole goods with a retail value of approximately 59c, the second consumer stole goods with a retail value of approximately $499. While 59c is trivial, and the store likely wouldn't bother contacting the police, stealing is stealing, wrong is wrong, and the value doesn't justify the actions.

The OP has a moral, ethical and legal responsibility to contact the store, notify them of the error and set-up payment arrangements -- trivial or not. If he fails to do so & the store does indeed catch its error, will it pursue payment from him? Almost unquestionably no. In fact, if the OP contacts the store, they'll likely thank him for his honestly and decline payment. Yet that does not justify doing nothing while rationalizing "gee, I bet I've been overcharged elsewhere in the past but did not catch the mistake so this makes up for it," even though it's what most people would do. Especially our cheapskate valet friend  Wink.

[Edited 2012-06-19 15:33:11]
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

MD-90

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:34 am

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 26):
Depends. If I noticed, let's say, a $10 overcharge on an item after I got back home from a shopping trip in Buffalo (which is a 1.5hr drive away), I'd probably just forget about it.

In a case like that you could always call the store and ask them to send you a bill. If they won't then I'd consider the matter settled.

mandala499

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:58 am

I'd take it back if I'm still somewhere nearby...
I got a place where a few times I got back to pay for some unchecked items... They remembered. I get promotional freebies when I go there now   
In certain cafes, I did correct an undercharge... since then, they never had any problems with me correcting an overcharge... and also, free coffee from them once in a while is nice to have!
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

bjorn14

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 28):
Imagine the bank makes an error in your favor. You are aware of the error and you spend the money. The bank finds the error and demands their money bank, you don't have enough. You will be prosecuted and probably go to jail.

Yep, Like this guy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15129689
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:12 am

Ok, so now were comparing socks to 10 million dollars. Got it.

This thread reminds me of the end of Dumb and Dumber. The town was THAT way!

Sometimes life throws you a freebie.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Klaus

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:22 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 39):
Sometimes life throws you a freebie.

So where does your personal integrity start to kick in?

When you see someone dropping a coin? A proper bank note? A wallet?

At which point does a "freebie" turn into something you'd feel obliged to return to its owner?

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:37 am

When there is some kind of harm being done.

This scenario presented is a fluke occurrence with no premeditation of 'stealing', with an item of minimal value, and which inconveniences me to correct. No harm done.

If its a smaller place that I frequent, I'd probably mention it the next time I go there, if I know and have a relationship with the employees. But if were talking some generic big store, forget it. I'd rather pay for the bloody socks than go through a whole charade with blank faced apathetic employees. There was no harm done, and all the potential that has to do is give me an awkward inconvenience or get some employee in trouble.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:50 am

I almost see this as the equivalent of refusing to accept a piece of cake from a restaurant for your birthday or something. Sure, you say, they're doing it as a gesture of goodwill with intent. But at the end of the day, I am hurting their bottom line and getting something anyone else in the restaurant has to pay for. If you find sock thing immoral, why wouldn't taking the cake be as well?

I will take the cake because it is a premeditated intentional gesture of trivial value, same as I will keep the socks as 'stealing' them was unintentional and not premeditated.

I'm simply saying to all of you classifying this as 'stealing', you shouldn't take the cake either. If your intent doesn't matter, why should theirs?

Of course this example of mine sounds ridiculous, but it has a point. Of course the intent matters! Just as does the relativity of value. Whether you choose to admit it or not, there is an amount that is small enough to say, screw it! Would you bother going back (with small/moderate inconvenience) to pay for a pack of gum?

Nonetheless I'm sure i'll see my integrity questioned by some, but it really is a simple matter of our thresholds of value for bothering with this differing slightly, and i guess mine extends to about 10 bucks.

[Edited 2012-06-20 03:55:38]

CXB77L

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:55 am

If I got good customer service from the store, I would absolutely take it back. I believe that honesty is the best policy, and sometimes you might even be rewarded for it.

That would be in the back of my mind, yes. Generally, though, in my experience, they aren't going to accuse you of that - rather, they'd be thanking you for your honesty. But I guess it depends on the 'culture' of the place.

Quoting aloges (Reply 14):

As a newbie waiter many, many moons ago, I made similar mistakes in presenting the bill to customers. I would've loved to have honest customers correct me, but I didn't. I was so embarrassed by it that I offered to pay the difference out of my wage, but thankfully, the boss took pity on me.

I wonder if that employee at H&M will have to pay the $10.

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 20):
The companies you are talking about (H&M) don't care about $10 any longer. So no reason to feel guilty about it.

I disagree. Whether or not they are a big company is irrelevant, it is still lost earnings that the company is entitled to. Sure, it was an employee of the company that made the mistake, and if anyone is to blame at all, it is the employee, but everybody makes mistakes.
Boeing 777 fanboy

Klaus

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:02 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 41):
When there is some kind of harm being done.

When you're taking an item without paying, that is of course harm done. It goes to the bottom line of the store, if not to deductions from the employees' salaries.

This scenario presented is a fluke occurrence with no premeditation of 'stealing', with an item of minimal value, and which inconveniences me to correct.

So when you find a wallet, it's also okay to keep it, because you didn't have a premeditation of stealing it?

No harm done.

I'm not quite so convinced that your approach is consistent and defensible.

EDIT:

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 42):
I almost see this as the equivalent of refusing to accept a piece of cake from a restaurant for your birthday or something.

No, that is completely different, because it is a voluntary gift.

Nonetheless I'm sure i'll see my integrity questioned by some, but it really is a simple matter of our thresholds of value for bothering with this differing slightly, and i guess mine extends to about 10 bucks.

Wow. I hope the people around you are aware of that and are cautious accordingly.

[Edited 2012-06-20 04:10:35]

fr8mech

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:15 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 43):
If I got good customer service from the store,

Should not make a difference.

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 43):
That would be in the back of my mind, yes.

I wouldn't even consider it. If they accused me of shoplifting, it would be the last time they saw me at their door and there would be a corporate complaint before end-of-business that day.

Both your posts smack of rationalization.

I'm simply saying to all of you classifying this as 'stealing', you shouldn't take the cake either. If your intent doesn't matter, why should theirs?

The cake is freely offered by the organization.

but it really is a simple matter of our thresholds of value for bothering with this differing slightly, and i guess mine extends to about 10 bucks.

I see what you're saying here, but will pose this question: what do you tell your kid when he notices that you didn't pay for an item, in error?

Oh, that's ok, it's only a dollar, or $5, or $10?

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:24 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 44):

When you're taking an item without paying, that is of course harm done. It goes to the bottom line of the store, if not to deductions from the employees' salaries.

Yes, they'll take an inventory some weeks down the road and find a pack of socks missing. Big whoop.

So when you find a wallet, it's also okay to keep it, because you didn't have a premeditation of stealing it?

Oh, for Christ's sake. You just quoted my words about harm being done. Now you act like my simple criteria is solely premeditation. Premeditation was just one part of the equation above, a very important one to draw a distinction from what could be constituted as 'stealing'. But you know there are multiple factors i took into consideration.

If I really need to point out the distinction between a pack of socks missing in inventory versus a persons wallet with a more significant amount of value, identification and credit cards, and a very clear logical and moral path for resolution, than this is a very pointless conversation. The missing wallet person has been harmed greatly. The path for resolution for the store is more ambiguous, and you have more of a chance of getting someone in trouble than truly doing something 'good'.

You really fail to see the forest from the trees. There IS an amount for you to sacrifice this alleged morality of yours and not go through the trouble of going back to the store. Come on, there is. Mine simply seems to be a bit higher than yours. End of story.

This has turned into a pissing match of hyper-inflated self images and chest thumping of supposed integrity via theory vs. those of us using some realistic pragmatism.

I think we can all agree that some higher end items that were huge blatant errors by the cashier that we would easily notice would become a very dishonest thing to do.

The real question this thread asks is: how much is too much to get away with? Don't act like perspective and scale doesn't matter here. It's ALL that matters. We all have our number where it's too insignificant to bother with. I guess mine simply covers $10.. assuming i'm home from the store and not like, right outside the door.

I'm not quite so convinced that your approach is consistent and defensible.

I'm sure i'll have real trouble sleeping tonight.

[Edited 2012-06-20 04:26:56]

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:33 am

And quite honestly, the biggest matter for me would be... If is say, would I rather have just been charged for the thing than go back to the store and deal with this? If the answer is 'yes', then I hardly feel like I am getting away with anything. And for $10, i'm pretty sure I would just rather have paid. If this becomes a 30-60 minute ordeal to rectify, then no way.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:38 am

Looking back on the opening post, I guess I have gotten things mangled around with all these possible scenarios. If i'm in the parking lot, I'd probably go back.

If the inconvenience is low, i'd return it. If the inconvenience is more, I wouldn't in most cases.

And in a moral gray area, I wouldn't if money was very tight for the family and somehow $10 really meant a lot, then no. But that makes the whole shopping spree scenario implausible.

[Edited 2012-06-20 05:09:57]

dl021

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Guys...take note here...Klaus and I are in agreement about something....there just may be something to the point we are making.....that or the world is officially ending.

If the store chooses to give you something then that's a freebie...if you choose to keep something for which you've not paid and don't have their permission to keep then that's stealing.

Accidents happen, but once you know the facts it's no longer an accident in re what happens as you go forward. Stealing is stealing, and no amount of justification can really change it. Keeping that shirt doesn't make you Charles Manson or Jean Valjean....it just means that you are willing to steal, thus compromising your integrity for very little reason.

Bring it back. You're worth it.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?