rooty613
Topic Author

Embarrassed To Be Shirtless In Public

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:58 am

I'm not over weight. But for whatever reason, I have a really hard time taking my shirt off if someone I know will see me (particular women, particularly family members). It's uncanny how nervous it makes me. I had hoped to be over this years ago, but at 41, the nerves are still very real!

Anyone else suffer the same?

Kiwirob

RE: Embarrassed To Be Shirtless In Public

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:26 am

I'm now a touch over weight (my wife would say more than a touch) but I have big arms, shoulders and chest so it balances out my beer gut, I couldn't care less about going shirtless.

HAWK21M

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:23 am

Its a habit.....it will be overcomed over time....make a start.
However not sure about the law there....here its not permitted except at the beach, pool & confines of the home.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

AF1624

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:40 am

Just walk around with no shirt in your own home, all the time. You'll eventually get used to it. Then when comes the time where you actually need to do stuff without a shirt, such as swimming, going to the beach, etc. it'll feel a lot more natural. To be honest, whether you are overweight or not wouldn't really have been the point.

It's more a question of being comfortable showing certain parts of your body - some people feel that showing skin is displaying part of their intimacy - getting used to displaying it can play a major part in actually making you feel comfortable in the future.

EDIT : one thing that has truly helped me with this is Camping. I hate it, I'm a hotel kind of guy, the more luxury the better. But I wanted to try anyway, and I now feel a lot more comfortable walking around shirtless in some shorts in public (on a beach or swimming pool or similar places) then I used to before. The point is, when camping, you don't really have a choice (you share showers, bathrooms and stuff....).

[Edited 2012-06-19 02:41:51]
Cheers

smittyone

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 am

You say you are 41...have you started getting those tiny red spots on your body yet? Between that and the hair and the blubber I sure as hell wouldn't go shirtless in public, but more out of consideration for those around me than anything else  

The neighbor kids (late high school/college age)...not sure they even own shirts. I tell them to enjoy it while it lasts.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):
here its not permitted except at the beach, pool & confines of the home.

SmittyOne starts packing to move to India...

Ps76

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 am

Hi!

I remember when I started going out with a girl at 16 I was a little overweight and was quite embarassed about her seeing my body. So I started jogging. I got really into it and got really lean and even had a six pack. I felt much better about her seeing me but also others at the beach and stuff. Even after we broke up I kept it up. Now I've been single for a very long time I stopped. I'm not too bad but I have a bit of a belly. I only go shirtless when I have to like swimming and stuff!

Many thanks,

Pierre

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:16 am

Quoting rooty613 (Thread starter):
But for whatever reason, I have a really hard time taking my shirt off if someone I know will see me (particular women, particularly family members).

Go to a nude beach with a bunch of fat old guys. No one would even notice you. . .
Bring back the Concorde

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:18 am

I thought I was the only one who felt like that. I'm not fat, but I do have a bit of a belly, plus I have a hairy chest and many dark spots from acne on my back. I usually compare myself with other guys on the beach and that usually gets me down, so whenever I'm at the beach or a pool I wear a surf shirt. The only time I'm ever shirtless is when I sleep or when I'm alone. I don't even like going with sleeveless shirts in public (though I've been meaning to take that first step some time in the near future).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

4holer

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

WingsFan

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):
....here its not permitted except at the beach, pool & confines of the home.

Really? I did not know that. Are you sure its the law and not just social thing?

I used to occasionally ride my bike with the shirt removed when I was is school after a long evenings spent at sports grounds.

WingsFan

seb146

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
Go to a nude beach with a bunch of fat old guys.

That is redundant. All we ever see are old, fat guys at Red Rocks and Hagmeier Pond!

Yes, I go to clothing optional beaches and I am very comfortable wearing only shoes there. There is very little judgement out loud. Problem is: people in town don't have a problem judging out loud. I am trying very hard to lose fat. The straight people don't seem to mind if I go without a shirt. Its the gays that are the meanest and worst.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

connies4ever

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 10):
Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
Go to a nude beach with a bunch of fat old guys.

That is redundant. All we ever see are old, fat guys at Red Rocks and Hagmeier Pond!

Yes, I go to clothing optional beaches and I am very comfortable wearing only shoes there. There is very little judgement out loud. Problem is: people in town don't have a problem judging out loud. I am trying very hard to lose fat. The straight people don't seem to mind if I go without a shirt. Its the gays that are the meanest and worst.

Interesting observation. I've found at nude beaches that the people you WANT to see naked never do so in front of you. It's always those that have a fair bit of blubber and liver spots.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 11):

You're going to the wrong nude beaches.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 4):
have you started getting those tiny red spots on your body yet?

Eeek I'm 39, what are those spots?

Quoting seb146 (Reply 10):
Its the gays that are the meanest and worst.

Easy solution go straight, we accept chubbies in our world.

Charles79

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Oh boy, if you want to be embarrassed being shirtless try being me about 12 years ago: about 6 feet/1.8 meters tall, weighing in at 330lbs/150kg. I grew up as an obese kid and spent most of my childhood/teenage years avoiding ANY situations which would have required me to undress in front of another living soul. By the time I was in college I decided to take charge of my life and dropped to my current weight (about 85kg).

I'm still extremely self conscious when it comes to going shirtless but I’ve learned that no one’s body is perfect and we all have areas of our bodies that we wish to improve. I think what makes the difference (and gives you a bit of confidence) is the knowledge that you have at least decided to do something about your body and your image. Also, it helps to know for whom you are doing it: IMHO, you should always strive to have a better body not because of what others might say but because of the health benefits for yourself.

That said, although I don’t think I look terribly bad without shirt on but I haven’t done so in over three years!

connies4ever

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):

OK, I'll let Janice make the holiday decisions from now on !

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Quoting rooty613 (Thread starter):

No need to be ashamed of a beer gut. I have a huge beer gut and I worked very hard to get it.....
Most guys have beer guts anyway.
Personally I'm more grossed out by tattoos. Can't understand why it's such a fad.   
My best advice is to stay away from beaches with lots of buff dudes.
Come to the beaches here in Asia. A fat guy with a beer gut is just as attractive to females as the guy with muscles and a 6-pack. It's not your muscles they want anyway....  
Bring back the Concorde

connies4ever

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Tell you something, Fly, we need a decent nude beach today: heat index here (NORTH of Ottawa) is 108F. Supposed to stick around all week. Who said the Great White North was cold ???

seb146

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 13):
Easy solution go straight, we accept chubbies in our world.

Yeah, but there is that one little problem....

I find that any nude beach is the right nude beach! Stick around long enough and you see what you want to see. Yes, I have a very nice umbrella and matching towel  
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

smittyone

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 13):

Eeek I'm 39, what are those spots?

Rob -

Google "Cherry Hemangioma".

Not everybody gets them, but they are more prevalent as people age. As far as I've read (and my doctor confirmed) they're harmless. I've got a few on my torso...would have freaked me out except that my stepfather had a bunch of them and he's eighty something and still kicking LOL.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
It's not your muscles they want anyway....

No they want your money  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

DocLightning

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:12 am

-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

rooty613
Topic Author

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:39 am

Ok, here I am.... I shudder to think about it!

AF1624

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:28 am

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 14):
By the time I was in college I decided to take charge of my life and dropped to my current weight (about 85kg).

Congrats man, it's never easy to lose that much weight when you've gone that high at some point - some people can't do it without surgery.
Cheers

einsteinboricua

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:59 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 21):

I'm currently doing Insanity. If I do notice some definition I'll be more than happy to open a Summer Shirtless thread. Needless to say that for now I still shudder at having to post a shirtless picture with flab and barely abs.

Charles79

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Well Doc no one's stopping you from leading the way...  
Quoting AF1624 (Reply 23):
Congrats man, it's never easy to lose that much weight when you've gone that high at some point - some people can't do it without surgery.

Thanks! Though I honestly feel that for 90% of the people you can do it without surgery; surgery is just an easy way out in many cases.

daviation

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:38 pm

To Rooty 613 - not bad at all if you're over 30!

To Superfly - yeah, what's with the tattoos? My kids want them now. I ask them if they're so bored that they need to draw on themselves.

As for me, I used to be thin and well-defined until the age of 30. I'm in my 50s now. Gravity has won. I'm tall, weight-proportional. But the boobs have sagged badly, the gut is sticking out, the legs are knobby. I feel like a mess in a bathing suit. I also have minimal chest hair which makes me even less attractive!

So I try to avoid the shirts-off unless I can get into the water (beach or pool) quickly.

On the other hand, I look around and see men and women parading around half-naked when they should be wearing full body armor! Fat bulging out everywhere. That's when I think, hmmmm, in comparison to them I'm not so bad!
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

zkojq

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Ever since birth I have had a condition called Pectus Excavatum, essentially a large hole in the middle of my chest. When I was young this wasn't at all obvious and I went shirtless all the time. As I grew older it got more severe and became more prominent. Appearance wise, this was not helped by the fact that I was (and still am) severely underweight. I never told any of my friends about this - only my close family knew. Every time there was a social situation in-which swimming was involved or likely to be involved (school camp, school beach trip, swimming lessons, friends pool party, going to the family beach house with others etc) I would either not go or I would wear something to cover my chest such as a wetsuit, rash vest/rash guard or even a life-jacket. This was generally not a problem - being very thin I always needed a rash vest when swimming because I would get too cold otherwise. For many years noone really noticed other than a few people (who I didn't know) in various changing rooms. Unfortunately, after years of noticing that I never went shirtless, some friends began asking questions about why this was. I tried to ignore them, said they didn't need to know/it wasn't really their business, but this didn't work; at a pool party a close female friend kept asking about it, I wouldn't say and eventually some of the guys pulled off my rash vest. The answer to their question became apparent and they were rather embarrassed about it - I was too. Thankfully none of them were nasty or mean about it as I had feared.

A few years later, after much talking with my doctor and family, I decided to have corrective surgery to help reduce the problems it was causing. I was put on a waiting list and after about six months a timeslot was confirmed and I underwent the Nuss Procedure. This involved inserting a titanium Nuss-Bar into my chest to help expand the chest cavity.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Nuss_x-ray.jpg

The operation went well but the recovery was painful. Sleeping was very uncomfortable without pain medication and it took six months before I could jog/run without feeling immense pain in my chest. However apart from the bar moving slightly during the initial stages of recovery, the procedure has worked. Visually my chest is significantly less sunken in than previously, however now one can quite clearly see where in my chest the titanium bar is (it sort-of sticks out a little at both ends - for most people it is covered in enough muscle/fat to not be obvious). I'm still a bit too embarrassed to be shirtless in public, such as on the beach, however at a pool party earlier in the year I swam shirtless for literally the first time since I was about five years old. Most of the time I still swim with a rash vest (mainly for warmth reasons, though I still am embarrassed at the shape of my chest) but every now and again I go shirtless.

It has been a few years since the Nuss-Bar was placed in my chest but it is nearly time for it to go (they can only be in for so long without causing problems). At the end of the year it will be removed. Hopefully, without the Nuss-Bar, my chest won't sink/revert back to where it previously was.
First to fly the 787-9 with Air New Zealand and ZK-NZE (2014-10-09, NZ103)

daviation

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Yeah, that's me (and my son). The trick is to dip into the water so no one can see all the drooping flesh! If you notice on my left side (above the heart, below the shoulder), I have an implanted pacemaker/defibrillator. This model is from 2007 and is hardly noticeable. My old model from 2000 was 3X larger and made me even more uncomfortable about my shirtless appearance.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

DocLightning

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 25):
Well Doc no one's stopping you from leading the way...

1) I was trolling (and people trolled back... I'm so proud!).

2) Still under construction. Check back in a few months. Gained a lot of weight after I ruptured my Achilles tendon and I've finally actually made a few lifestyle changes that seem to be taking it off.

Quoting zkojq (Reply 27):
I was put on a waiting list and after about six months a timeslot was confirmed and I underwent the Nuss Procedure.

Ouch. I've watched two such procedures in medical school and let's just say that "brutal" doesn't even begin to describe what goes on in the operating room. For starters, you have to break a bunch of ribs... I'll stop there, because if I described it in detail, most people reading it would start to convulse. To summarize, I'm amazed that such a procedure is even survivable.

The operation went well but the recovery was painful.

After both cases I saw, we were using doses of narcotics that I have not seen before or since.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

connies4ever

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 29):
Ouch. I've watched two such procedures in medical school and let's just say that "brutal" doesn't even begin to describe what goes on in the operating room. For starters, you have to break a bunch of ribs... I'll stop there, because if I described it in detail, most people reading it would start to convulse. To summarize, I'm amazed that such a procedure is even survivable.

Good friend of mine had to have a mechanical valve placed in his heart due to a long-term congenital condition. Going in they had to break more or less most of the ribs, then going out truss them with a metal web (I suspect titanium or tantalum, I have a similar one in my cheek due to a slapshot). Anyway, I guess his X-rays are interesting. For breaking ribs are we talking garden shears, or something very specific ?

He's now shackled to several drugs that need to be monitored and monthly blood tests. Given the alternative, I think it's very OK.

DocLightning

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 30):
For breaking ribs are we talking garden shears, or something very specific ?

More like bolt cutters. Bone is stronger than concrete, volume-per-volume.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Charles79

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:49 pm

The operation went well but the recovery was painful.

Geez, I cannot even imagine. After I lost over 60kg I had to have surgery to remove the excess skin and that was painful enough without being that invasive. Having surgery should always be something that you do as a last resort, which is why I always cringe when people decide they'd rather lose weight via surgery than a regular diet.

Still under construction. Check back in a few months. Gained a lot of weight after I ruptured my Achilles tendon and I've finally actually made a few lifestyle changes that seem to be taking it off.

Keep it up then and when you are done then do post a pic for us to judge the results!

(Of course I won't tell him that even after he posts his picture I won't post mine...he he    )

Gsoshutout55

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Nope. I work out 4x a week. I am 6' and 185lbs, around 14% bf...I don't yet have a 6 pack, but I have some nice muscle definition and get complimented often on my body. BRB doing squats and deadlifts so girls grab my butt at the pool. Also 23, commercial pilot, and drive a sports car...life is good  

DocLightning

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Quoting gsoshutout55 (Reply 33):
Nope. I work out 4x a week. I am 6' and 185lbs, around 14% bf...I don't yet have a 6 pack, but I have some nice muscle definition and get complimented often on my body. BRB doing squats and deadlifts so girls grab my butt at the pool. Also 23, commercial pilot, and drive a sports car...life is good

Ahem... pics?  

(Yes, I'm trolling)
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

WrenchBender

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 34):
Ahem... pics?  

Sooooooo predictable                  

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

PHX787

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 pm

Oh Doc -_-

Ok to put this in perspective (and to possibly drive Doc off the deep end) I have no problem going shirtless, even though i'm an underweight twig. I think it's all a matter of not giving a f***. It's like, "not a single f*** was given that day" attitude.

If I'm on campus, however, I don't go shirtless, simply because it's not that proper. If I am doing something strenuous on campus, i'll just wear a wife-beater or tank.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

DocLightning

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:17 pm

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 35):
Sooooooo predictable

And it amuses all of you to no end.

-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

dc9northwest

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:34 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 37):

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 36):
Ok to put this in perspective (and to possibly drive Doc off the deep end) I have no problem going shirtless, even though i'm an underweight twig. I think it's all a matter of not giving a f***. It's like, "not a single f*** was given that day" attitude.

I. Just. Don't. Give. A. F*ck.

That's right. I don't care if anyone sees me. Although, if I'm in a city, maybe I'll abstain. So pretty much the same as you.

PHX787

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:26 am

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 38):
I. Just. Don't. Give. A. F*ck.

perfect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4NubXXg5Rk

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 37):

ahem....Doc, we've never seen photos of you recently!

einsteinboricua

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:53 am

Do any of you guys have bacne or bacne scars? That probably another reason why I don't like taking off my shirt. Though I'm not breaking out like I used to, I have many dark spots and that kinda makes me feel embarrassed.

If you didn't know, bacne is a contraction of the words back and acne and it's just like regular acne except on the back (yes, I'm being very Captain Obvious here). However, it's a bit more difficult to treat than your face or shoulder acne since the skin there is rougher, not to mention that few people have enough flexibility to touch their entire back.

zkojq

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:34 am

I fainted/passed out when the surgeon decided to show me the photos he had taken during the operation at one of the monthly check-ups. It wasn't pretty.   
First to fly the 787-9 with Air New Zealand and ZK-NZE (2014-10-09, NZ103)

DocLightning

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:01 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 39):
ahem....Doc, we've never seen photos of you recently!

You could just click on my profile.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

PHX787

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:04 am

DocLightning

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:06 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 43):
Doc.....uh....... alrighty

You know I'm a pediatrician, right? "Goofy" is part of my job description.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Charles79

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 44):
Quoting PHX787 (Reply 43):
Doc.....uh....... alrighty

You know I'm a pediatrician, right? "Goofy" is part of my job description.

I bet you can reduce a lot of kids to tears......

.....of laughter, of course!  

DocLightning

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 45):
I bet you can reduce a lot of kids to tears......

Pretty quickly, actually.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Type-Rated

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting zkojq (Reply 41):
I fainted/passed out when the surgeon decided to show me the photos he had taken during the operation at one of the monthly check-ups. It wasn't pretty.

Years ago I had to have a operation after a major car accident. The procedure was rather risky and the doctor video taped the entire procedure. He asked me to sign a release for it beforehand. It was to be released to medical schools, etc.
When I told him I wanted a copy of it, he refused. Why? He said that "there are just somethings people should never see."
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

fridgmus

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:50 pm

My back blew out and blew out in style last November in Kuwait. Seems my bulgings discs ran out of room to bulge! So, the only Nuerosurgeon in Kuwait took a few out and fused me from T6 to L4. A two foot scar and lots of steel, lots!

They kept me in bed for a month straight before they tried to stand me up. Pain? You have NO idea. Hell, it hurt just to breathe and that's no exaggeration either! I sneezed once and passed out. Finally moved me to another hospital for a month where they got me up twice a day and did a little walking on the parallel bars. Then flew on EK from KWI to DXB to SFO. The cabin crew on EK were fantastic, had a doctor and a nurse escorting me to a rehab hospital in Berkeley, CA.

I gained about 50 lbs, all of it in my damn gut! My legs, arms and shoulders look good, but unless I'm in the water at the beach or pool, the shirt is staying on! Walking on canes for the foreseeable future, going to have another operation in July to shave off the corner of L4 as it's pinching the spinal cord and the nerve inside.

I've been fighting with my weight all my life and it looks like one of those, "Stomach Bands" or whatever you call them, might be needed as I don't have all of my balance back, "proprioception" they call it! Did I spell that right Doc? So, my Harley is parked for now, I hope I can ride her again. Would like to ride a bicycle to help lose weight, but I don't know if that's going to be possible.

So take care of your backs guys and watch your weight, they're both more important than you know.

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

HAWK21M

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Quoting WingsFan (Reply 9):

Really? I did not know that. Are you sure its the law and not just social thing?

its a law.....In fact an old unupdated law.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)