melpax
Topic Author

Earth Tremor In Melbourne

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:07 am

About 10 minutes ago, there was a good-sized earth tremor here in Melbourne. Lasted a but under a minute, the whole house shook, not a normal happening for these parts....... Felt all over the city, haven't heard any damage yet....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

melpax
Topic Author

RE: Earth Tremor In Melbourne

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:17 am

First reports.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...toria/story-fn7x8me2-1226401623358

Local radio station reported strong shaking on level 7 of their building in the CBD, newsreaders sounded just a tad shaken...

http://www.3aw.com.au

melpax
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 am

5.2 magnitude, epicentre near Moe, east of Melbourne.

Felt like a freight train coming through.

StarAC17

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:48 am

Quoting melpax (Thread starter):
About 10 minutes ago, there was a good-sized earth tremor here in Melbourne. Lasted a but under a minute, the whole house shook, not a normal happening for these parts....... Felt all over the city, haven't heard any damage yet....

What suburb do you live in?

I felt it but wasn't really worried (I live in Hawthorn). It would have been more intense had they been digging up the tram tracks outside my flat with a jack-hammer.

I didn't think it was 5.2 but the epicentre was about 135km from the CBD.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

melpax
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:58 am

I'm in Bayswater, was fairly intense here, Sky News reporter was saying that he barely felt it in East Melbourne, and were showing photos of the Coles (supermarket) in Rowville with stock shaken off the shelves. I suspect there may be more damage discovered in the morning (now nearly 10PM here)

Have never felt one that strong before.

Has now been upgraded to a 5.5, felt as far away as Albury.

StarAC17

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Quoting melpax (Reply 4):
I'm in Bayswater, was fairly intense here, Sky News reporter was saying that he barely felt it in East Melbourne, and were showing photos of the Coles (supermarket) in Rowville with stock shaken off the shelves. I suspect there may be more damage discovered in the morning (now nearly 10PM here)

That's about 20-25kms closer to the epicentre than me so that makes sense.

connies4ever

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Has now been upgraded to a 5.5, felt as far away as Albury.

We had a 5.5 here 3 yrs ago (150km NW of Ottawa, Canada). 1st time I'd experienced one, hopefully last. Like one poster said, like a freight train coming right by you. Fortunately only minor damage in the area. Best to all in Mel.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DocLightning

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 pm

The jokes have already started. Glad there was no serious damage:
Sky News reporter was saying that he barely felt it in East Melbourne, and were showing photos of the Coles (supermarket) in Rowville with stock shaken off the shelves
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

melpax
Topic Author

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 am

I liked this one;

Caption was 'Melbourne slob blames cluttered bedroom on earthquake'....

bookishaviator

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:04 am

Quoting melpax (Reply 8):

My inbox was bombarded today with earthquake related joke emails (most of them lame, but beats actually working). A small selection:

--

http://i48.tinypic.com/34q5p42.jpg

--

http://i45.tinypic.com/2djdm6r.jpg

^ Caption: 'Melbourne wakes to a city in ruin'

--

Quote:

A major earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale has hit Victoria, with the epicentre in Moe.

Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly muttering "faaakeen 'ell". The earthquake decimated the area causing approximately $30 worth of damage.

Several priceless collections of mementos from the Commodore Appreciation Society were damaged beyond repair.

Three areas of historic burnt out cars were also destroyed.

Moe local radio reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered, still trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting had happened in the area.

One resident - Tracy-Narelle Smith, a 15-year-old mother of 5 - said "it was such a shock, my little Chardonnay-Mercedes came running into my bedroom crying. My youngest two, Tyler-Morgan and Megan-Storm, slept through it all. I was still shaking when I was watching Jerry Springer the next morning".

Apparently though, looting, muggings and car crime carried on as normal.

The Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Bacardi Breezers to the area to help the stricken locals. Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, which include Centrelink cheques, flannelette shirts, jewellery from Priceline and bone china from Big W.
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

DocLightning

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 9):
^ Caption: 'Melbourne wakes to a city in ruin'

I remember that building! I'm all for modern and avant-garde architecture, but jeesh...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

melpax
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 9):
The Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Bacardi Breezers to the area to help the stricken locals

They forgot the emergency cans of Jim Beam & Coke.....

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 10):

Only part of that place that's any good is the bar there. Serves a great selection of German beers.

sturmovik

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:27 pm

The funniest Melbourne quake related link i got was this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7zjeSZWcXM

'What's it doing now?'

StarAC17

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Something that a lot of people who live here I bet wish that occurred from the quake. A complete crash and power failure of myki!!

Personally I don't mind it but many hate it