flipdewaf
Topic Author

Vegetarians And Fish?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:15 am

Why do people who still eat fish call themselves vegetarians? Fish is meat, you eat the muscle, that is meat.

I'm not saying you can't eat fish but if you do then you are not a vegetarian surely? You can't be a vegetarian that eats beef so why is fish different?

Fred

Klaus

RE: Vegetarians And Fish?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:07 pm

I agree with you. I eat meat very rarely and just occasionally some fish, but I still wouldn't call myself a vegetarian.

Milk and eggs are generally deemed acceptable to fall within the term ("ovo-lacto-vegetarian"), but vegans are of course closer to the theoretical ideal of vegetarianism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLpCZ8g5uK8

akiss20

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:28 pm

I very rarely eat fish (mostly when I go home from uni because my mom wants me to and I don't feel like having that fight again) but when I am at school I almost never do. I typically call myself vegetarian just because a lot more people understand that than "I am an ovo-lacto pescatarian." It is really just an ease issue, if asked further details about my diet or reasons for doing it I always say "well I am actually pescatarian" but most people don't know what that is or care and just consider me vegetarian for the purpose of them cooking.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

CXfirst

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:53 pm

I know a lot of people that say they are vegetarian eat fish.

However, they are actually pescatarian.

My mums one of those, pescatarian that claims to be "vegetarian"

I always correct her on this....

-CXfirst

Revelation

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Why so rigid?

There's shades of vegetarianism.

In my case, I do not keep any meat or fish in my house, but will eat fish or meat in cases where it's the right thing to do socially, like if I am invited to someone's home or to a restaurant and there is no vegetarian option.

I don't want others to have to make a huge fuss over me for my dietary choices.

I also don't want to rule myself out of invites due to my dietary choices.

Most of my friends catch on pretty quickly and make sure that there are vegetarian options for me, but I never make a big deal over it.

Others have moral, religious or dietary reasons to be strict vegetarians, but for me vegetarianism is simply a strong preference, not an absolute requirement.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

WingsFan

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Thread starter):
you eat the muscle, that is meat.

Agreed !

It is also very common that when you ask for a vegetarian dish or a dish with no meat at a restaurant ,the waiter would come back with a suggestion of a turkey , fish or even chicken dishes. I find it very frustrating.

I think in US, a meat means red meat. So when you ask for " no meat" you get offered all other options.

Strange.

BlueElephant

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:21 pm

I'm a Vegetarian. I get asked the question "Oh you're a vegetarian, so you eat seafood right?"

Without starting any religious flame war, or any political argument. I think it stems from something long ago in Christianity. I know a number of people, who during Lent (sic), don't eat meat on fridays, but can eat fish. If someone knows the truth about this...would be interested in understanding.

There are different types of vegetarians - I agree with this...But the major difference to me is if you eat eggs / milk products. Pescatarians are not vegetarians.

flyingturtle

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:29 pm

As a child, it always mildly disturbed me when people didn't call poultry or fish "meat"... I'm a biologist now. 
Quoting WingsFan (Reply 5):
I think in US, a meat means red meat. So when you ask for " no meat" you get offered all other options.

Perhaps it has to do with fish being Jesus' "meat" – and poultry isn't called "meat" to differentiate it from the more expensive mammalian meat. I know people who don't eat poultry because it is not precious enough...

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

babybus

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks for bringing up this point.

It always bugs me when people scan a menu for vegetarian options and choose the fish.

Vegetarians should be eating non meat products. Fish is a meat.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Klaus

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 6):
Without starting any religious flame war, or any political argument. I think it stems from something long ago in Christianity. I know a number of people, who during Lent (sic), don't eat meat on fridays, but can eat fish.

That's how I know it, too. Certain monastic orders and others eventually extended that exception to swimming mammals such as beavers and otters as well, not to let religious precepts standing in the way of culinary desires...

By the way: There are versions of the New Testament where Jesus teaches his followers to not to eat animals at all. It is conceivable that such a requirement might have impeded quick adoption of the new religion considerably, urging a rewrite to less demanding rules...   

dcaviation

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:13 pm

If people are vegetarian by choice, well they are loose nuts.
If people are vegetarian because of the dietary (health) reasons that's another thing.

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:32 pm

I have a dislike of vegetarians, anyone who doesn't eat meat can't be trusted, in fact I'd rather my children were gay than vegetarian!!! It's abnormal!!!

Every vegan I've ever met has also been obese, for the life of me I can't work that out!!! If you're going to be obese you should at least enjoy getting there!!!

rampart

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:36 pm

I once toured the monastary of Alcobaca, in Portugal, where the Medieval monks had quite the kitchen set up. They diverted the Rio Alcoa directly into and through the kitchen for quick access to fresh fish. (Picture some hapless novice trying to slap trout out of the canal and onto the preparation table.) Here's the vague connection to this thread: Even with ready access to fish, these monks were not satisfied with only fish for Fridays. One of their abbots decreed that baby rabbits were truly fish, and therefore permissable to eat on Fridays. Rabbits. Baby rabbits. Because they look so much like fish. Ah, the joys of Medieval parsimony.

Pescatarians, you have another choice.

-Rampart

Revelation

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Quoting babybus (Reply 8):
It always bugs me when people scan a menu for vegetarian options and choose the fish.

Why does it bug you?

Quoting dcaviation (Reply 10):

Thanks for your valued contribution.

By the way, do you eat dog? Why not, it's a meat? Horse? Snake? Insects? Brain matter? Testicles? Livers?

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 11):
Every vegan I've ever met has also been obese, for the life of me I can't work that out!!!

Totally opposite of my experience - the strict vegans I've met are quite thin.

rampart

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:33 pm

I think there is a higher than usual rate of vegetarianism amongst college students. While that may seem to prove your point (   ), I think it has more to do with the quality of meat-like substances offered at campus eating establishments. I've also observed that the majority of these college vegetarians are thin. Again, no direct proof between diet and body weight, maybe it's the caffeine and RedBull, but certainly suspicious.

akiss20

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:43 pm

I have a dislike of vegetarians, anyone who doesn't eat meat can't be trusted, in fact I'd rather my children were gay than vegetarian!!! It's abnormal!!!

Well you must love me then, I am a gay vegetarian (pescatarian but I call myself vegetarian for the reasons outlined upthread, happy name police?).  

Many a hard-core meat eater screams that vegetarians/vegans are always pushing their dietary preference on them (which I personally hate, I don't do it and don't like it when others do) but then turn around and dictate what they can and cannot call themselves. Let people be!

Also, I am 6'0" and 162 lbs and dropping fat and gaining muscle by working out daily and climbing 1-2x a week. Obese? Used to be, not anymore, and def. not while i've been pescatarian.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

WingsFan

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Yawn....so much for contributing to the thread. Learned a lot ...thanks

It's abnormal!!!

Normality is a function of surroundings and circumstances. For me, eating meat was VERY abnormal.Growing up I knew of only handful of people who were meat eaters( chicken) and it was quiet a topic for discussion. And this has been like that for many many generations.

Every vegan I've ever met has also been obese, for the life of me I can't work that out!!!

Did they grew up vegan? or are they now trying to fight obesity by adapting diet. Type of diet is secondary to how balanced the diet is .

WingsFan

AlnessW

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Why do people who still eat fish call themselves vegetarians?

Because there are different levels of vegetarianism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism#Varieties_of_vegetarianism

Full vegetarian (no meat or fish products), pescetarian (fish products), vegan (no animal products), etc.

I'm not saying you can't eat fish but if you do then you are not a vegetarian surely?

Nope, it's called being a pescetarian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

You can't be a vegetarian that eats beef so why is fish different?

See my above comments.

Quoting babybus (Reply 8):

Why do you even care? Obviously you're not a "vegetarian."

Wow. You're making a huge generalization there. So you obviously don't like me AND don't trust me; that makes sense. By the way, what does trust have anything to do with vegetarianism? Because we're "abnormal" and don't meet your outrageous standards?

Where did you get that idea?

If you're going to be obese you should at least enjoy getting there!!!

What in the world is this supposed to mean?

Interesting how non-vegetarians always seem to have problems with the different types of vegetarians. I was raised as a vegetarian, and I eat fish, therefore my type of vegetarianism is pescetarianism, and I proudly call myself a vegetarian.

ER757

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:49 pm

I have a dislike of vegetarians, anyone who doesn't eat meat can't be trusted,

These comments are just silly. I assume they were meant in jest and you just neglected the smiley faces.
I couldn't be a vegetarian myself, I enjoy meat too much. I don't eat a lot of beef and pork, but poultry and fish are staples of my diet. But I respect those who do choose to follow a meat-free regimen. I tried it for a while and didn't feel it was right for me. Just personal choice.

Aeri28

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:54 pm

some people consider themselves vegetarian by not eating anything with a face. Interestingly though, some are fine with milk, eggs, butter, ice cream, ie. things provided by the thing with a face.

MadameConcorde

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:21 pm

You can't be a vegetarian that eats beef so why is fish different?

Beef comes from an earth creature who lives in the same environment as us humans. Fish lives in the sea or rivers, they are water creatures. They live in an environment different from us humans. We don't live in the water I doubt we could become water creatures.

Vegetarians are those who do not wish to kill to eat these creatures as food.

Those who eat fish should not be labelled vegetarians. It seems that vegetarian means 'eating no live creature life' be it sea or earth creatures.

You can push the logic even further by saying all those who eat animal sub-products such as milk, butter, eggs (and I forget some) are not vegetarians either.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

signol

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Whilst I have no problem whatsoever with people choosing what to eat from ideological, religious, lifestyle choice, or health reasons, it does need to be noted that these are personal choices, unlike those who have a food allergy (like my wife), who don't have that luxury. Especially things like eating out in restaurants, can be very difficult for us, as not many restaurants show what items she can and cannot eat, yet will clearly show vegetarian options.

I don't know many vegans (only one actually) and she is as skinny as a rake. But in your case, perhaps they are using cheese, and fried food (like chips) as a replacement for meat?

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Klaus

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 21):
I don't know many vegans (only one actually) and she is as skinny as a rake. But in your case, perhaps they are using cheese, and fried food (like chips) as a replacement for meat?
Eating cheese would get your vegan powers revoked immediately.   

Fried food would "work", but vegans are generally thin and under- rather than overweight.

dcaviation

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 13):
By the way, do you eat dog? Why not, it's a meat? Horse? Snake? Insects? Brain matter? Testicles? Livers?

Everything except the dog. Dog is a pet not live stock.

I am a chef and I know how to appreciate food.
I was dating at one point two vegetarian girls (not at the same time, and not one after another). There was always an issue where to go for dinner or lunch.
I would pick a place and she would say that they don't have good vegetarian selection. She would pick the place and was happy, and after that I would have to go for real dinner to wash down grass and soy crap from my system.
Both of them would eat fish. When I asked them why not chicken (technically not a meat), they would say that they eat fish to substitute for vitamins and other things that are not in the vegetables.
Both of them at one point had anemia. They were obsessed with "healthy food", but yet, both of them were catching cold more often than anybody else I know.
Now when it comes to dating a woman, I ask two questions.
- Are you vegetarian?
- Do you have tramp stamp?
If answer to both questions is no, then I go out.

AM744

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:16 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 6):
I think it stems from something long ago in Christianity. I know a number of people, who during Lent (sic), don't eat meat on fridays, but can eat fish. If someone knows the truth about this...would be interested in understanding.

I thought that was a Catholic thing all around the World even to this day. Isn't that so?

dcaviation

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Health effects

Glucose is the body's primary fuel source and is essential for the brain's functioning. When denied glucose for more than 4–8 hours, the body turns to the liver for glycogen, a storage form of glucose, to be used for fuel. A process called glycogenolysis converts glycogen into a usable form of fuel. At this point, the body also uses small amounts of protein to supplement this fuel. This fuel will last for up to 12 hours before the body needs to turn to glycogen stored in muscles, lasting for a few more days. If glucose is still denied at this point, muscle wasting is prevented by temporarily switching to fat as the primary fuel source, with glucose made as a byproduct during ketosis. The brain can then use this glucose or even ketones as a fuel source, while the rest of the body thrives on primarily fat. The body continues to use fat for as long as there is fat to consume. The body will generally indicate to the faster when fat levels are running extremely low (less than 7% and 10% of body weight for males and females, respectively) with an increased urge for food. Fasts are usually broken long before this point. If the fast is not broken, starvation begins to occur, as the body begins to use protein for fuel. Health complications associated with fast-induced starvation include electrolyte imbalances, thinning hair, lanugo, cardiac arrhythmia and renal failure. Death occurs if fasting is pursued to the point of complete starvation.

Research suggests there are major health benefits to caloric restriction. Benefits include reduced risks of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, insulin resistance, immune disorders, and more generally, the slowing of the aging process, and the potential to increase maximum life span.[1] Besides these health benefits, research by Valter Longo has also uncovered a potential link between fasting and improved efficacy of chemotherapy.[2] [3] [4] According to Dr. Mark P. Mattson, chief of the laboratory of neurosciences at the US National Institute on Aging, fasting every other day (intermittent fasting) shows beneficial effects in mice as strong as those of caloric-restriction diets,[5] and a small study conducted on humans at the University of Illinois at Chicago indicates the same results [6] According to the US National Academy of Sciences, other health benefits include stress resistance, increased insulin sensitivity, reduced morbidity, and increased life span.[7][8] Long-term studies in humans have not been conducted. However, short-term human trials showed benefits in weight loss. The side effect was that the participants felt cranky during the three week trial. According to the study conducted by Dr. Eric Ravussin, "Alternate-day fasting may be an alternative to prolonged diet restriction for increasing the life span".[9]

Adherence to Greek Orthodox fasting periods contributes to an improvement in the blood lipid profile, including a decrease in total and LDL cholesterol, and a decrease in the LDL to HDL cholesterol ratio. A statistically insignificant reduction in HDL cholesterol was also observed. These results suggest a possible positive impact on the obesity levels of individuals who adhere to these fasting periods.[10]

Changes in blood chemistry during fasting, in combination with certain medications, may have dangerous effects, such as increased chance of acetaminophen poisoning.[11] Excessive fasting for calorie restrictive purposes, accompanied by intense fears of becoming overweight are associated with mental disturbances, including anorexia nervosa.

L-188

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Jello

That is the one that i wonder about.

While i have people say that it is considered vegetarian because it is so highly processed most of the gelatin used is made from hooves and skin. I do note there are some non animal based gelatin out there such as agar-agar.

Any thoughts here?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

gunsontheroof

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:20 pm

I hear this from time to time and still can't get over how ridiculous it is. Fish are animals and at the very least, not vegetables. If you eat fish, you are not vegetarian. Period. Anyone who disagrees might be interested to know that folks who eat fish but otherwise abstain from meat products have a word of their very own--pescatarian!

This is really only aggitating for me at all because as a vegetarian, I've heard the "so you can eat fish, right?" question so many times my head is spinning. I don't understand the huge leap in reasoning that leads people to believe that, but oh well!

AR385

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:12 am

Quoting AM744 (Reply 24):
I thought that was a Catholic thing all around the World even to this day. Isn't that so?

Even that has changed nowadays. Some recent Pope decreed that even on Fridays during Lent, the sick, children and the elderly may eat meat. When he was alive and we were at his place, my Grandfather, a Free-Mason, made a point of feeding us steak on Fridays during Lent.

mdsh00

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:56 am

I am not a vegetarian but as a Hindu there are of course many people in my family who are vegetarian. And by that generally lacto-ovo vegetarian; this (with the exception of the eggs, which vary) is pretty much standard for Indian Vegetarians and means no meat!

And like someone stated above, if you eat fish, even occasionally, then you are not vegetarian. It may not be considered "meat" but ultimately an animal was killed and consumed. A fish is not a vegetable.

Why is that such a problem? Many followers of major world religions follow a Vegetarian diet (yes no fish either).

Don't understand the hatred. Humans can live and function completely fine without any meat in the diet.

It is so irritating to go to restaurants with my family (including my mom) and asking the waitress about vegetarian options and she replies by talking about the catch of the day. And yes to Hindu, Jain, Sikh, and Buddhist cultures, the mere concept that fish (and sometimes even poultry) is not regarded as meat by some is a completely odd and abnormal concept.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

flyingturtle

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:41 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 28):
Even that has changed nowadays. Some recent Pope decreed that even on Fridays during Lent, the sick, children and the elderly may eat meat. When he was alive and we were at his place, my Grandfather, a Free-Mason, made a point of feeding us steak on Fridays during Lent.

I've made a habit of never eating fish on Friday, and when I eat fish... always with a knive.

When I visited the old Kartause Ittingen, I learned that the monks only ate fish on high holidays like Easter and Christmas, and meat was allowed only for strengthening the sick.

Shocking, somehow. And they didn't know potatoes for much of the time.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

QFA380

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:18 am

Quoting dcaviation (Reply 25):
Research suggests there are major health benefits to caloric restriction.

I read a study about mice, the control was given unlimited access to food while the tests were given a restricted calorie diet. The restricted mice lived about 30% longer however were severely depressed.
I forget if this is the study but it's a very interesting one on mice. Have a look at the pictures of the mice livers and hearts. Incredible stuff.
Intermittent fasting seems to be the nice compromise.

Quoting mdsh00 (Reply 29):
Don't understand the hatred. Humans can live and function completely fine without any meat in the diet.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is natural, especially when you gloat about it to everyone; a little like hipsters wearing ski hats in summer in trendy parts of town.

One problem I have is the hypocrisy of thinking that only meat eating leads to animal deaths, as if the copious quantities of soy and wheat leave no dead animals in their wake. Practically all human activity, including eating, will lead to the deaths of other creatures, its an inevitability. The PETA crowd apparently still feels entitled to dictate how the rest of the world should live their lives.

Many followers of major world religions follow a Vegetarian diet

That makes it arguably not a choice if one feels compelled to follow a religion that dictates vegetarianism.

Quoting AM744 (Reply 24):

Like most 'rules' in Christianity it serves the purpose of bringing you closer to God but is optional. I think it is important during lent to follow it, to observe how the world is fallen that we are dependant on flesh for survival and during the lenten season the flesh is that of Christ, just like why there is no consecration of the host on Good Friday.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 22):
vegan powers

That's an oxymoron, I don't think powerful vegans exist!

Kiwirob

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 17):
Wow. You're making a huge generalization there.

Nothing like a good generalisation!

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 17):
What in the world is this supposed to mean?

If you're planning on being obese you might as well eat tasty food to get there, becoming obese being a vegan is pretty boring.

dcaviation

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Why is that such a problem? Many followers of major world religions follow a Vegetarian diet (yes no fish either).

Its not a problem. Its just my opinion.

Also, if any religion for any reason forbids eating certain food, then that is really stupid.
I used word stupid to be polite, but in reality its beyond stupid.
I'm sorry but WHY religion has any influence on your diet? Is priest, rabbi, imam or monk qualified to tell you your dietary needs? If you think so then maybe you should pay a visit to a local hospital and examine your brain. Apparently you've been brainwashed by your cult organization (religious group).

L-188

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Next month I will have access to a proper kitchen for a while when sometelatives are out of town....

Anybody want to place a bet that I can go that week as a vegan?

And I noticed nobody offered an opinion on the jello question
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

AR385

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 34):

It is pure animal protein based on animal parts harvested through the death of said animals. My opinion is that it is not a vegetarian food.

Klaus

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 34):

Because it is perfectly obvious: Gelatine is as incompatible with a vegetarian diet as it gets.

There are various congealing agents which are entirely plant-based and work just as well, so it's not difficult to replace if desired.

Revelation

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:31 am

Quoting dcaviation (Reply 33):
I'm sorry but WHY religion has any influence on your diet? Is priest, rabbi, imam or monk qualified to tell you your dietary needs? If you think so then maybe you should pay a visit to a local hospital and examine your brain. Apparently you've been brainwashed by your cult organization (religious group).

Says you.

If you want to know why it is, I can tell you, but it sounds like there'd be no point to doing so.

Quoting dcaviation (Reply 23):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 13):

Everything except the dog. Dog is a pet not live stock.

That's just a choice you are making, just like some people choose to not eat meat.

AlnessW

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 19):
some people consider themselves vegetarian by not eating anything with a face.

Yep, and that's called being a vegan.

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 19):
Interestingly though, some are fine with milk, eggs, butter, ice cream, ie. things provided by the thing with a face.

It's their personal choice. How does that affect you?

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 27):
I hear this from time to time and still can't get over how ridiculous it is. Fish are animals and at the very least, not vegetables. If you eat fish, you are not vegetarian. Period.
This is really only aggitating for me at all because as a vegetarian, I've heard the "so you can eat fish, right?" question so many times my head is spinning. I don't understand the huge leap in reasoning that leads people to believe that, but oh well!

Why does it bother you so much?

Anyone who disagrees might be interested to know that folks who eat fish but otherwise abstain from meat products have a word of their very own--pescatarian!

See my earlier post.

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 31):
Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is natural, especially when you gloat about it to everyone; a little like hipsters wearing ski hats in summer in trendy parts of town.

What does that have to do with anything?

The PETA crowd apparently still feels entitled to dictate how the rest of the world should live their lives.

I once remember reading about a campaign where they wanted you to take a picture of yourself flipping off your local KFC. Yeah, like THAT'S really going to help anything.

Huh?

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 32):

What in the world are you on about?

Quoting Revelation (Reply 37):
That's just a choice you are making, just like some people choose to not eat meat.

gunsontheroof

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 38):
Why does it bother you so much?

Don't get me wrong, it's not something that I lose sleep over or anything, I just don't understand how anyone could possibly think of fish on a plate as anything other than meat and therefore, not vegetarian. Probably something to do with people who like the label but don't actually live up to it...

Not to make to big of a deal about this or anything (I caught your humor), but you might be surprised!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegans

lewis

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:55 pm

I feel very weird when I meet vegetarians who are vegetarians because of "morality issues" but do not apply the same morality. I have met a few such vegetarians who do not mind consuming fish (also a dead animal) or animal products such as eggs and dairy, which are products of organized farming, where animals are not having that much fun.

One problem I have is the hypocrisy of thinking that only meat eating leads to animal deaths, as if the copious quantities of soy and wheat leave no dead animals in their wake.

Or what about the same vegetarians who denounce meat because of animal deaths but have no problem wearing their nice leather shoes or leather belts. I'd rather have an animal killed to be consumed than to become a fashion accessory.

So in general, vegetarians can eat whatever they want, as long as they do not try and force their eating habits on me or look at me in disgust just because I am enjoying a steak. Live and let live!

AlnessW

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:15 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 39):
I just don't understand how anyone could possibly think of fish on a plate as anything other than meat and therefore, not vegetarian. Probably something to do with people who like the label but don't actually live up to it...

Well, you answered your own question earlier:

Anyone who disagrees might be interested to know that folks who eat fish but otherwise abstain from meat products have a word of their very own--pescatarian!

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 39):
Not to make to big of a deal about this or anything (I caught your humor), but you might be surprised!

Cool, thanks for sharing that link! I had no clue that Lindsay Funke aka Portia de Rossi was a vegan.

Quoting lewis (Reply 40):
So in general, vegetarians can eat whatever they want, as long as they do not try and force their eating habits on me

We are not forcing anything upon you. Most of us, anyways... Not including PETA!

Quoting lewis (Reply 40):
or look at me in disgust just because I am enjoying a steak.

Not at all. Unfortunately, there are people in my immediate family who would do this...