zanl188

Software To Rip CDs To Flac

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:45 pm

What software do you recommend for ripping CDs? I'm also looking for album art & info, possibly also filling in gaps were art and info is missing.

Is winamp any good?
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Braniff747SP

RE: Software To Rip CDs To Flac

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:16 pm

The best (free) is iTunes. Does all of that; it has a large online database to pull the information from, including the album name, track info, and cover art.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

aloges

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:11 pm

I can't even remember the last time I used anything but iTunes for converting CDs. If the codec doesn't have to be FLAC, you can use iTunes and choose the Apple Lossless codec for your encode.

If you do need FLAC, the only advice that I can give is that your encoding software should have access to the CDDB. IIRC, iTunes and many other applications use this database to add the information that you're looking for to the files and/or libraries.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Aesma

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:27 pm

I don't use iTunes but I have trouble believing that an Apple product would make flac files (aka free software). Read them, sure, but make them ? Apple has its own apple lossless codec.

Personally I use EAC but it may not be the simplest to use, you have to install flac yourself.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

rutankrd

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:50 pm

iTunes offers AAIF full feature codec and Apples own Lossless format.
Plus AAC and MP3 (both compressed) and WAV as well .
By the way the built in MP3 encoder isn't the best quality however.

I have used iTunes for just about ever (From OS9 days !), mainly because i can't be a***d to download .ogg or flac software.
However its for background listening and to fill iPhones

Still use traditional separates system for true listening (Arcam amp/cd player/Rega planar record player and Mission speakers.

If you want flac encoding try this link

http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Audio-Con...t&gclid=CPL5vu3n5LACFWchtAoduWouxA

Klaus

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:46 pm

You could also rip to Apple Lossless and then convert that into FLAC. When it's encoded losslessly anyway, you can also convert compressions losslessly as well.

A direct ripper to FLAC may be more practical, but that's still a possibility.

Type-Rated

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:51 pm

The latest version of Nero will rip FLAC files to CD. That's what I use. But it's not free, however there is a 10 day free trial available.
FLAC files have much better musical fidelity than .mp3 files do. It's definitely worth the trouble.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Klaus

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 6):
FLAC files have much better musical fidelity than .mp3 files do. It's definitely worth the trouble.

AAC is a very good intermediate solution, however. It is a lot better than MP3 and very difficult to distinguish from a lossless encoding while taking only a fraction of its space. Which is not surprising since it is the official successor of MP3.

GST

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:39 pm

I personally use Foobar for ripping to FLAC, I would use MusicBee (my preferred player as it is by far the leanest running player I've found that has all the features I want) as it is capable of doing it with the codec installed however I haven't been able to get the tagging to work in it.

Both of these are free programs, like itunes & co.

[Edited 2012-06-23 15:40:02]