ogre727
Topic Author

Iphone Gps Application

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi there,

Im looking for an iphone gps application (for Spain) and dont feel like paying the 60+ usd that garmin and tomtom cost. Do you guys know of any free application that gives step by step instructions like the one for galaxy phones?
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

DocLightning

RE: Iphone Gps Application

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Unfortunately, Garmin and Tomtom are the only two. I purchased TomTom and I've been very happy with it. It's not 100% perfect, but:
1) Google search is built in
2) You can navigate to someone in your contacts list
3) Pronunciation in English (and Spanish) is excellent
4) Maps update automatically
5) Traffic sensing and avoidance (where available) is about 90% reliable, which is as good as it gets.

An entire TomTom or Garmin unit will cost you US$300 or so, so US$60 is actually a pretty good deal.

I was not happy with the Garmin program. Not nearly as good as the stand-alone Garmin units.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Braniff747SP

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:56 pm

With iOS 6, the next generation of iOS coming soon, there will be a turn-by-turn directions feature in Maps. It may be only for the iPhone 4S, though, and I don't know if it will work everywhere. It's been developed with the help of TomTom.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

EA CO AS

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 2):
With iOS 6, the next generation of iOS coming soon, there will be a turn-by-turn directions feature in Maps. It may be only for the iPhone 4S, though, and I don't know if it will work everywhere. It's been developed with the help of TomTom.

iOS6 will supposedly work with all iPhones all the way through the iPhone 3GS, believe it or not.

MapQuest has a free turn-by-turn app available in the AppStore. It's...so-so at best, but will work for time being until iOS6 is released in final form.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Klaus

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 3):
iOS6 will supposedly work with all iPhones all the way through the iPhone 3GS, believe it or not.

Yes, they've announced that it will; Turn-by-turn navigation will only be available for the iPhone 4S or newer, however.

I've got the Navigon App for free from T-Mobile, so I haven't looked for other ones myself.

There are cheaper ones which are based on the crowd-sourced Open Street Map, but their reliability is reportedly so-so at best.

DocLightning

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 4):
I've got the Navigon App for free from T-Mobile, so I haven't looked for other ones myself.

I really don't like Navigon. Too many problems with interface design.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 4):
There are cheaper ones which are based on the crowd-sourced Open Street Map, but their reliability is reportedly so-so at best.

On Android there is one called Waze. The problem with these is that they require an internet connection to function. TomTom and friends benefit from an internet connection for traffic updates and map updates, but they will function with the phone in "Airplane" mode.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

darthluke12694

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:26 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 2):

But the question is will Maps use your data plan? I've currently got iOS 6 Beta and you can't pre-download maps. For someone who travels a lot, it might eat through your data plan. At least with the Garmin app all of the maps are pre-loaded and it doesn't use your data (unless if you use the google search part of it). By the way, I love the Garmin app, and still plan to use it even when Maps officially comes out. Personally, I think it is almost as good as their stand alone GPS. The app is very accurate from all of the times I've used it.
KBNA - "To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."