STT757
Topic Author

Ten Brands That Will Disappear In'13, #1 AA

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Just read this article on MSNBC.com about the ten American brands that will disappear in 2013.
Number one on their list is American Airlines, they cite.

http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_...hat-likely-will-be-gone-in-13?lite

Nothing really new, been discussed to death on these boards, but it's interesting to see how the situation is being depicted to the general public not as knowledgeable as those on these boards.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

PlaneAdmirer

RE: Ten Brands That Will Disappear In'13, #1 AA

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:21 pm

My recollection was that US said they would keep the AA name. Articles of this nature this should be taken with a supertanker full of salt.

LAXdude1023

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:59 pm

That article must have been written by a squadron of morons. Even if AA is taken over by US, the AA brand will remain. Its already been confirmed.
It is what it is...

Rdh3e

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 2):
Even if AA is taken over by US, the AA brand will remain. Its already been confirmed.

And what happens when AA runs into CH7 while trying to prevent a US takeover? I'm not saying AA's brand going kaput is likely, but I am saying it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Coal

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:39 pm

That article must have been written by a squadron of morons. Even if AA is taken over by US, the AA brand will remain. Its already been confirmed.

Well, they are saying RIM is one of 10 American brands to go. RIM, the maker of Blackberry, is a Canadian firm. Idiots.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

LAXdude1023

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 3):
And what happens when AA runs into CH7 while trying to prevent a US takeover?

Considering that has such a small chance of happening, they can go ahead and write that off.

US may get the opprotunity to take over AA and thats fine. The AA brand and the DFW have already been confirmed as being kept.

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 3):
but I am saying it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The way the article was written, of all brands in the country, AA was most likely to dissapear in 2013.
It is what it is...

mogandoCI

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 3):
And what happens when AA runs into CH7 while trying to prevent a US takeover? I'm not saying AA's brand going kaput is likely, but I am saying it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Sadly, DL/UA/AA/WN now have grown to such monstrous sizes they're considered too-big-to-fail, so rest assured a government bailout would arrive to prevent Chp 7.

The only CRAZY scenario I could imagine is that US fails to buy AA, AA got imposed poor labor contracts by the BK judge, AA goes into a tail spin, goes through massive shrinkage, and end up being auctioned off piece-meal to DL/UA/US.

TWA85

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:52 pm

This article is nothing but a waste of time. With or without a merger the AA brand will be around for years to come. The real question is how big/strong the brand will be, which only time will tell. The author of the article not only lacks knowledge of the airline industry, but business in general. Major brands don't just disapear unless the company is merging or being bought out by a another company with a stronger brand (aka NW/DL, CO/UA). If a brand disappers as a result of a company going out of business, it is because no other company felt it was economical or worth to take that brand over. This is just HMO and I have been wrong before.

IrishAyes

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Quoting TWA85 (Reply 7):
This article is nothing but a waste of time. With or without a merger the AA brand will be around for years to come. The real question is how big/strong the brand will be, which only time will tell. The author of the article not only lacks knowledge of the airline industry, but business in general. Major brands don't just disapear unless the company is merging or being bought out by a another company with a stronger brand (aka NW/DL, CO/UA). If a brand disappers as a result of a company going out of business, it is because no other company felt it was economical or worth to take that brand over. This is just HMO and I have been wrong before.

Agreed. This author bases their speculations off data points which are far too high-level. Clearly, they've done as much research as to become aware that US is making a bid for AA, yet failed to go further to see that US wants to keep the AA brand.
confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

enilria

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:32 pm

Quoting PlaneAdmirer (Reply 1):
My recollection was that US said they would keep the AA name. Articles of this nature this should be taken with a supertanker full of salt.
Quoting STT757 (Thread starter):

Just read this article on MSNBC.com about the ten American brands that will disappear in 2013.
Number one on their list is American Airlines, they cite.

I really see no scenario where the AA brand isn't around basically as long as air transportation is around. It is a top brand. Everybody else has filed Ch11 and come out, why shouldn't AA? The US Airways brand is completely inferior to AA. No choice to even be made there.

They should have said that the US Airways brand is the #1 brand likely to disappear. LOL

sweair

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm

SAS and Air France, I used to love flying them but time has come and they wont change. Die you old fat pigs  

point2point

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Maybe if the title stated "10 Companies the will disappear in '13" then maybe this wouldn't be such a huge disparity. But still, then the old AA is already gone, and what will emerge is some form of new AA (we hope, eh?). But then the article needed to have bee titled "10 Companies the will disappear in '11"

That article must have been written by a squadron of morons.

Really pathetic journalism.

canadianpylon

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 4):
Well, they are saying RIM is one of 10 American brands to go. RIM, the maker of Blackberry, is a Canadian firm. Idiots.

The article is called 'Bye, bye American -- and other brands that likely will be gone In '13.' It does not say that they are all American brands.

Quoting point2point (Reply 11):
That article must have been written by a squadron of morons.

Yes, yes, yes..... Yet we are all still reading it? +1 for the article...
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

mogandoCI

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 9):
I really see no scenario where the AA brand isn't around basically as long as air transportation is around. It is a top brand.

Pan Am says hi.

rwy04lga

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 13):
Pan Am says hi.

Beat me to it.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

aajfksjubklyn

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:04 pm

As is about 95% of any journalism.

777STL

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 3):

Me winning Powerball isn't out of the realm of possibility either, but that doesn't mean there's a snowball's chance in hell of it actually happening.

Quoting TWA85 (Reply 7):
With or without a merger the AA brand will be around for years to come.

Bingo. Whether AA merges or not is really rather irrelevant - the brand isn't going anywhere in either case. AA as a brand has much more international prescence than US does and that's exactly why US would keep the AA brand if they were to acquire AA.
PHX based

BMI727

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 6):
Sadly, DL/UA/AA/WN now have grown to such monstrous sizes they're considered too-big-to-fail, so rest assured a government bailout would arrive to prevent Chp 7.

That's what Braniff thought too.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

EWRandMDW

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:26 pm

AA is based in Texas, a "red" state. What makes anyone think that in today's polarized political climate the government (oh so very "blue") will want to help an opposition state/company? Let's not forget that the banks and GM which were bailed out are located in "blue" states!

sw733

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 4):
Well, they are saying RIM is one of 10 American brands to go.

What a bunch of morons

Quoting canadianpylon (Reply 12):
The article is called 'Bye, bye American -- and other brands that likely will be gone In '13.' It does not say that they are all American brands.

It takes reading beyond just the headline...and not far. The first line of the actual article states "Each year, 24/7 Wall St. identifies 10 important American brands that we predict will to disappear within a year."

ghifty

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 15):

95%? Oh really?  

While it's true for most of the aviation-related news articles seen here (not from *some* sites), maybe you should just start reading article published by *different* news companies.

Quoting SW733 (Reply 19):
Each year, 24/7 Wall St. identifies 10 important American brands that we predict will to disappear within a year.

So it's Wall St. that's stupid. News companies report news. Not make it.
Fly Delta Jets

sw733

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 20):
News companies report news. Not make it.

Well that's not always true. In this case it may be, but not always.

point2point

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Quoting canadianpylon (Reply 12):
Yes, yes, yes..... Yet we are all still reading it? +1 for the article...

I just read it once, and that was more than enough for me.......

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 15):

Not quite sure the number is that high, but I will agree that the messengers of information have really deteriorated over the last couple of decades or so......

PHX787

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Even if AA is taken over by US, the AA brand will remain. Its already been confirmed.

Who confirmed? I never saw anything.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Rdh3e

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 4):

I think if we look beyond the obvious Pot-shots we can say that in the US RIM is much larger than it is in Canada. It is also publicly traded on an exchange in the US NASDAQ: RIMM So while not technically true, it's not as big an error and people are saying it is.

Quoting ghifty (Reply 20):
So it's Wall St. that's stupid. News companies report news. Not make it.

24/7 Wall St. is the news company, they are the one that made the story and screwed it up.

sw733

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 24):
I think if we look beyond the obvious Pot-shots we can say that in the US RIM is much larger than it is in Canada. It is also publicly traded on an exchange in the US NASDAQ: RIMM So while not technically true, it's not as big an error and people are saying it is.

I think it's more reflective on journalism in 2012. It's not hard to figure out that RIM is not an American company. The fact that something so basic was overlooked...

something

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 4):
Quoting SW733 (Reply 19):
Quoting Coal (Reply 4):
Well, they are saying RIM is one of 10 American brands to go.

What a bunch of morons

America is a double-continent that is home to 35 sovereign states, as well as 24 overseas regions/dependencies/colonies. Canada is one of them.

Awkward.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

XT6Wagon

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 5):
Considering that has such a small chance of happening, they can go ahead and write that off.

Its not that small of a chance. If the labor dispute blows up into full scale strikes, Its pretty much a one way ride to the asset auction.

DocLightning

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 3):

Then US buys the brand and the name and probably a good portion of the fleet.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

eldanno

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

They also take pride in Myspace disappearing one week after last year's article. Of course, Myspace was simply sold but still exists.

BE77

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Quoting STT757 (Thread starter):
to the general public not as knowledgeable as those on these boards.

I'll agree on tech Aviation topics, but challenge the assumption on business knowledge as much of the Av industry is truly in a world of it's own as there is a much larger than average huge amount of hometown economics in aviation when compared to other industries (comparable to health care more than to even the auto industry for example).

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 5):
The AA brand and the DFW have already been confirmed as being kept.

This will only be confirmed once the final judgement is written, and even then depends on what happens (see MogandoCI for one of many scenarios).

The only CRAZY scenario I could imagine is that US fails to buy AA, AA got imposed poor labor contracts by the BK judge, AA goes into a tail spin, goes through massive shrinkage, and end up being auctioned off piece-meal to DL/UA/US

Why crazy? Seems perfectly plausible.

Quoting enilria (Reply 9):
I really see no scenario where the AA brand isn't around basically as long as air transportation is around
Pan Am says hi.

Jamaican, CP Air, Braniff, Northwest, Continental, BMI also say hi. While some were not as iconic as AA, others have clear parallels. How many brands dissappeared into Airbus? Then there is McDonnell, Douglas, McDonnell-Douglas, Supermarine.

Outside of aviation - how about brands like Pontiac or Oldsmobile? RCA. Lotus123, WordPerfect. Yugoslavia. USSR, Siam, the British Empire - all pretty substantial brands that few would have predicted the demise of in their day (OK - we can argue about the USSR, but the brand name is probably gone for good).

Brands are just that - they change, they lose their value if not well maintained, and just sticking an AA logo on something does not add any value. RIM is a really good current example.
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

mikey72

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Quoting sweair (Reply 10):
Die you old fat pigs

LOL

Don't mince your words will you.

You obviously don't know the French very well.

SQ would go before AF.

They'd stick two fingers up to the EU and start pumping money in.

Of which (in my book) they have every right to do.

[Edited 2012-06-22 12:43:10]
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

eldanno

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Quoting something (Reply 26):
America is a double-continent that is home to 35 sovereign states, as well as 24 overseas regions/dependencies/colonies. Canada is one of them.

Awkward.

Oh, knock it off. I've never heard of Pele being called an American sporting legend, or the Montreal Canadiens being one of America's most loved teams.

You know exactly what was implied. I'd be willing to bet "American" is in your lexicon as an alternate for "U.S. Citizen" as well.

What's awkward is someone trying to exert an air of superior intelligence when, in reality, they're just rehashing a tired point that nobody cares about.

[Edited 2012-06-22 12:59:44]

BE77

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 31):
They'd stick two fingers up to the EU and start pumping money in.

Of which (in my book) they have every right to do.

A person or country of course has a lot of things they have the right to do. In the text quoted here I am not sure if you are referring to the right to stick the fingers or the right to pump in the cash. While I agree they have the right to do both - I don;t think it would be smart for them to do either!
Personal viewpoint - the fingers would provide a great specator event from the other side of the Atlantic - probably with more drama than the upcoming games in London, so I would support that. But, pumping cash into a business that can't make itself work is just so fundementally wrongheaded for so many reasons I can't bear the thought of it.

And, while they have the right to it, I'm pretty sure that some of the things signed as part of the EU would say they agreed not to exercise some of those rights. Also, while they have the right to pump money in, they have to have it to pump with, and I am pretty sure Germany also has the right to stick the fingers up when it concerns requests for money.
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

blueheronNC

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:04 pm

I ask this question in my mind almost every day, but it's a wonder that so many journalists are employed with the drivel they write when the United States' overall underemployment is around 15%.

Bobloblaw

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 3):

No its not. AMR still has a mountain of cash.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 17):
That's what Braniff thought too.

AA isnt making the mistake Braniff did. I have spoken with ex-Braniff mgmt and they never considered Ch11, they didnt even know what it was.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 23):
Who confirmed? I never saw anything.

Then you werent paying attention

woodsboy

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:27 pm

To think that AA would never go away just because right now we think its a top brand totally forgets what happened to all the other "top brands" over the last 35 years or so.......of course Pan Am was already mentioned and I know many of us were thinking of TWA and Eastern too, supposed top brands, now gone.

AA very well might go away even if its employees and fleet go on to serve under a different banner. AA's image has suffered greatly along with their service and just about everything else. I'm not sure how highly regarded AA is these days, especially among business travelers. Either the US brand or AA would be fine to keep, I think that whichever one survives a little reinvention might go a long way to keep the survivor relevant. That is until AS buys both of them!

manny

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Two things:

1. This is good news for AA. That means if this article is true it survives 2012.
2. When did Nokia, Research in Motion, Sony Ericsson become American companies.

BMI727

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 35):
I have spoken with ex-Braniff mgmt and they never considered Ch11, they didnt even know what it was.

Braniff was expecting someone to swoop in and buy them at the last minute.

Even if they weren't planning Chapter 11 exactly, they did take significant steps to protect assets in order to possibly restart service.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

calpsafltskeds

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Along with their ratings and bias, the world would be a better place if MSNBC were on the list.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

UALWN

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Pan Am says hi.

As does TWA. When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, Pan Am and TWA were the big names of international air travel. They are now long gone. And they were absolutely top brands...
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/380

Rdh3e

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Quoting blueheronNC (Reply 34):
when the United States' overall underemployment is around 15%.

Hrmm, thats awkward. It's actually 8.1% if you believe the Bureau of Labor Statistics... So lets at least use facts when we make our claims.

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=United+States+Unemployment+Rate&safe=active

CRFLY

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:17 pm

What would happen if the PAN AM scenario repeats once again? BK courts decides to sell piece by piece, hub by hub, and AA remais a small carrier, unable to compete in a cost structure with monster DL and UA, and ends up in Ch.7? If the US Government did not save PAN AM, I highly doubt they will save AA, especially in the modern times of free economies and market forces... Just my opinion!
With Age comes Wisdom...

lightsaber
Crew

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 3):
And what happens when AA runs into CH7 while trying to prevent a US takeover?

While possible, I think unlikely.

Quoting Coal (Reply 4):

Technically, Canada was in the Americas... Many residents of North, Central, and South America do not like the US being called 'America' instead of the United States of America as it neglects the American population outside of the USA.

Either way, RIM is in deep trouble. Since brands are global, we could talk As in Nokia...

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

something

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting eldanno (Reply 32):

Quoting something (Reply 26):

Awkward.

Oh, knock it off. I've never heard of Pele being called an American sporting legend, or the Montreal Canadiens being one of America's most loved teams.

You know exactly what was implied. I'd be willing to bet "American" is in your lexicon as an alternate for "U.S. Citizen" as well.

What's awkward is someone trying to exert an air of superior intelligence when, in reality, they're just rehashing a tired point that nobody cares about.

Which may be true in your village. But go to Argentina, or Brazil and ask the people there how they feel about the U.S.A. claiming the name of ''America'' as their own, and where they think that air of superiority is coming from.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

Bobloblaw

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 41):
Hrmm, thats awkward. It's actually 8.1% if you believe the Bureau of Labor Statistics... So lets at least use facts when we make our claims.

8.2..........counting those who have dropped out, its much higher

calpsafltskeds

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 45):
Quoting RDH3E (Reply 41):

8.2..........counting those who have dropped out, its much higher

Yes, let's use the facts.

"Underemployed", which is what the poster referred to would be akin to the U6 unemployment rate.

"The U6 unemployment rate counts not only people without work seeking full-time employment (the more familiar U-3 rate), but also counts "marginally attached workers and those working part-time for economic reasons." Note that some of these part-time workers counted as employed by U-3 could be working as little as an hour a week. And the "marginally attached workers" include those who have gotten discouraged and stopped looking, but still want to work. The age considered for this calculation is 16 years and over".

The U6 rate is currently about 15%, down from a max of about 17%.

http://portalseven.com/employment/unemployment_rate_u6.jsp

Rdh3e

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 46):
And the "marginally attached workers" include those who have gotten discouraged and stopped looking, but still want to work. The age considered for this calculation is 16 years and over".

I'm sorry but that is a load of BS. If you want a job, you don't stop looking. I did misread his post as unemployed (long week) but the way the way the "underemployed" statistics are calculated is more of an art than a science and should be treated as such.

koruman

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Can I just point out that outside the USA, TWA has far more brand power then AA, which sounds parochial and petty nationalistic.

Even if US choose to drop their own name, there is a decent chance they would go with TWA rather than AA.

calpsafltskeds

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 47):
I'm sorry but that is a load of BS. If you want a job, you don't stop looking. I did misread his post as unemployed (long week) but the way the way the "underemployed" statistics are calculated is more of an art than a science and should be treated as such.

There are several unemployment rates and if one is a science then all, done buy the Department of Labor, must be science. By the way, may daughter is not part of the official rate as she's given up looking in this lousy economy.
Here are the different rates.

U1 : Percentage of labor force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
U2 : Percentage of labor force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
U3 : Official unemployment rate the proportion of the civilian labor force that is unemployed but actively seeking employment.
U4 : U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
U5 : U4 + other "marginally attached workers", or "loosely attached workers", or those who "would like" and are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
U6 : U5 + Part time workers who want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons.