okees
Topic Author

Favourite Pool Party/bbq Drink?

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:42 pm

So I'm having a pool party/bbq tomorrow since the weather will be beautiful here in Montreal... but I'm tired of the standard Mojihto/Bloody mary/basic mixed drinks... what are your favourite drinks for a hot sunny day by the pool?

Okees
mobs jakis

lewis

RE: Favourite Pool Party/bbq Drink?

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:53 pm

The pool parties that I have been in CA and are organized by "locals" usually give out mimosas. I find them too girly, champagne also gives me headaches so I usually have a couple and then I stick with beer. I am also a fan of sangria, my Spanish friends here make it in buckets whenever they throw a pool party. Its refreshing and gets the job done very quickly!

WrenchBender

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Pina Colatta
Mai Tai
Long Island Iced Tea
Lemonade with attitude (rum or vodka)

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

desertjets

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Sangria is a good suggestion -- a little classier than blended drinks. Of course I am wandering you just don't get a keg and call it a day.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

lewis

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 3):
a little classier than blended drinks

Also very cheap to make. For a basic mix, buy the cheapest red wine you can find, a bottle of the cheapest gin you can find, sugar and some fruit.

okees
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:59 pm

We can't buy kegs here in Montreal... I'd have to drive to Ontario to get one, and then return it there... quite a hassle. Mai Tai is a great suggestion Wrench.. I should look into getting the ingredients!
mobs jakis

fridgmus

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:35 am

As a non-drinker, may I suggest the following,

During the heat of the day, water with a slice of any kind of citrus fruit and/or any kind of fruit juice and also you should eat something light as well, like.......fruit!

In the cool of the evening, any kind of soft drink or even ONE energy drink.

Keep in mind swimming, chlorine and the heat of the sun will take a lot out of you.

This way, the cops won't bust you for drinking and driving when you leave the party!

Just my   

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

zckls04

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:53 am

The best of all is a Pimms Cup.

Fill a massive jug with 1 part Pimms No. 1, 3 parts Sprite and a dash of gin to taste.

Add cucumber slices and apple/orange/fruit of your choice.

Serve turbo-cold.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Stabilator

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:20 am

1) Beer (shame to hear about the kegs)
2) Doctor Jack (Dr. Pepper and Jack Daniels)
3) Mai Tai
4) Water with lime/ lemon/ orange slices (put in big jug/dispenser with the fruit slices. Very tasty with pineapple slices, also)
5) Mikes Hard (I've heard the cranberry one is good, but my favorite is MH Limeade)

The above should give you a good selection...perhaps add more non-alcoholic drinks if little ones will be present.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

srbmod

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:08 am

A really good one is the John Daly (Some call it the Arnold Daly). You take an Arnold Palmer (1 part tea to 1 part lemonade) and spike it with vodka. I had a frozen version of it last year in which they used tea-flavored vodka in place of the tea but used more lemonade in it (This place had those frozen drink machines and had frozen lemonade already done up.). You can do something similar with a blender and some ice. Perfect drink for a hot summer's day.

Beer of course is the easy go to drink as well, but you will always have a hard time getting a beer that everyone wants to drink. If you're going that route, pick up a variety of beers or perhaps a couple of sampler packs that some breweries put out.

The sangria option is good as well, but to make a really good sangria takes a decent amount of time and the premixed varieties leave a lot to be desired.

IH8BY

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:44 pm

I tend to find that not a lot can beat a bottle of ice-cold Coke, save maybe orange juice that's been prepared there and then.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 7):
The best of all is a Pimms Cup.

Fill a massive jug with 1 part Pimms No. 1, 3 parts Sprite and a dash of gin to taste.

Add cucumber slices and apple/orange/fruit of your choice.

Serve turbo-cold.

If it's to be alcoholic, this is the only drink to have in your hand on a hot summer's afternoon (though I use British-style lemonade, preferably with no artificial sweeteners). Throw in strawberries, apple, orange, cucumber, mint, or indeed pretty much any fruit you have to hand. The bonus is that after the drink has gone the fruit tastes incredible. I don't like it to be too strong, however, particularly on a very hot day - it should be refreshing rather than overpowering.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

WestJet747

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:17 pm

I like Mojitos on a hot, summer night, I can't see why they wouldn't apply to a hot, summer day!

A really cheap/easy-to-make one is a White Freezy. It's equal parts Raspberry Sourpuss and Banana Liqueur, topped off with Sprite/7-Up. You have to be careful with this one though because it is extremely sugary, so you'll have a mighty hangover the next day if you have too many.

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 2):
Pina Colatta
Mai Tai
Long Island Iced Tea
Lemonade with attitude (rum or vodka)

All of the above.
Flying refined.

DocLightning

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Adult:

Virgin:

You can take the boy out of Michigan, but you can't take the Michigan out of the boy.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

akiss20

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Tinto de Verano or Clara con Limón, just red wine or a good beer, for wine I typically use a cab sav or maybe a shiraz, for beer I like to use summer ales or a good Belgian wheat, IPAs can be good too if you like things a little more bitter, with a lemon soda (I found Fresca works best). Mix in about equal proportions or however you want! Super refreshing and very tasty. When I was in Spain and it was a bajillion degrees, we would basically stop for a Tinto or Clara every hour starting at noon  
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

aerorobnz

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:02 am

A Brazilian style Caiparinha, with fresh locally made cachaca and of course fresh cane sugar and wild mint. Made to correct strength it is about as good as it gets.. IMO
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NSMike

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Pearl Snares, Taye Drums, Sabian Cymbals, Remo Heads, Los Cabos Sticks

okees
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Ended up drinking Campari soda with a twist of fresh orange juice. Was pretty refreshing.

I agree though, very little if any beats a nice cold Coca Cola out of the bottle (must be glass otherwise its not as good). Too bad I'm on an anti soft drinks streak of 4 weeks and counting.

I'm noting down your recommendations for the next pool party/bbq session I have.
Thanks!
Okees
mobs jakis