Airstud
Topic Author

Companies You Boycott

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:46 am

Wow, I hope this doesn't turn into a flamefest...

But the Pro-Gay Corporations thread, and the mention I made on it of the asinine Target boycott of 2010, made me think about companies that I really do boycott, for reasons of varying seriousness.

Home Depot sponsored the Olympic games in... when was it, 2000? 2002? Dunno, but the "jingle" they used in their TV ads was this... I just can't even think of a word to describe its degree of lameness ... compositionally, it wasn't anything different from "If You're Happy and You Know It (Clap Your Hands)," which itself was issued from the gods who dwell on Mount Fatuous. They did this slow tempo, "choral," wanna-be-artier-than-bearable arrangement of the blamed thing that really just stained my musical ears in a way that required the maximum recommended amount of auditory Oxi-Clean.

Well. Tell me a company with Home Depot's resources can't hire an actual songwriter? They will get not one penny from me.

I also boycott Procter and Gamble (animal testing), Nestle (I've forgotten by now but it had something to do with kids in Africa and they shipped their powdered milk down there in order to build brand recognition even though they knew the children's systems couldn't handle the stuff and children actually died for the sake of Nestle wanting to build brand recognition), and a few others - I won't give the complete list for fear of fanning the flames.

Or of pouring gasoline on them. The boycott that I feel most strongly about is of Shell Oil. From the information I've gathered - and I haven't seen Shell themselves proffer any contradicting information - they were complicit in the framing and execution of Nigerian writer and Ogoni people's rights activist Ken Saro-Wiwa in the mid-1990's.

It's an action that is, even for an oil company, off the charts of expected evil.

Shell ain't gettin' any of my business ever.
Pancakes are delicious.

Kiwirob

RE: Companies You Boycott

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:00 am

Tine in Norway, they constantly mismanage the milk quotas here, so last Christmas the country ran out of butter.

aloges

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:04 am

I want nothing whatsoever to do with Axel Springer AG, most importantly their number one publication "Bild". However, avoiding them is difficult due to their numerous participations.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

QFA380

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:17 am

I can't really think of any companies that I intentionally boycott. I care about the price and service that I receive and companies that use cheap additives, lie on their packaging, use other deceitful advertising or various other pet causes of mine such as misandrist advertising or stupid things (like yours) such as bad music in advertising or bad websites.

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
Shell ain't gettin' any of my business ever.

I'm not sure how you go about that seeing as though they are vertically integrated in the entire oil industry. I doubt you can go a week without giving Shell your business even if you don't buy from Shell branded stations or buy their engine oils.

Its mostly a pretty personal thing , I don't think its good to go around trying to show how morally superior one is by the companies they boycott, we saw a wave of that after Rush's comments and companies that continued to advertise with him.

The beauty of the free market that one can boycott companies for whatever reason and often they will change! You can't boycott the DMV or equivalent unfortunately but more government and less companies will fix our world.

casinterest

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:36 am

So I understand your reasons for boycotting Shell, but a mere jingle and you boycott Home Depot?
Mind you , you are protesting for issues on Shell and NEstle that were long ago settled in courts.

In the case of Nestle. THe issue wasn't the formula itself. It was the dirty water it was mixed with.

Boycotting over a current issue is worthwhile, but why for items resolved?
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Type-Rated

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:55 am

I boycott most dog food companies that are owned by conglomerates. Science Diet/Eukabana is Proctor & Gamble, Nutro is now Del Monte Foods, etc. Most of these types of dog food companies were responsible for the great dog kill off of 2008. These companies realized that they could save money by buying the wheat gluten for their dog foods from China. Unfortunately that wheat gluten had melamine in it. Tons of dogs came down with cancer or organ failure and died from that.

Just do a Google search on "Dog Food Recalls" and you will be shocked at how many dog foods have been recalled just this year. And most of the foods come from these conglomerates. They just don't care about the product quality, just the money.

I boycotted Continental airlines from 1982-2005 because of a very bad experience I had with them in early 82. Finally when I was forced to fly them (someone else bought the ticket and it was a group fare) I was pleasantly surprised to find out how far they had come and actually flew them several more times since on my own dime.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

sunshine79

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:00 am

Ryaniar - I hate the way they go on as if they are so much better than anyone else, and also they way they slate other companies.

The Sun newspaper - for their phone hacking scandal

These are the only two companies I do not deal with.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

GBLKD

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:24 am

Quoting sunshine79 (Reply 6):
The Sun newspaper - for their phone hacking scandal

I boycott it primarily because it's a steaming pile of crap like 99% of the British press.

I won't set foot in Tesco (unless I want to use thier toilets) due to thier borg-like business model and tax dodging.

EMBQA

Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:13 pm

How careful are you on that one....? P&G is huge with many divisions I didnt know they owned.

[Edited 2012-07-08 05:22:13]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

BMI727

Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Companies You Boycott  

Only companies that don't provide what I want at the right price. If they do, I don't care about anything else really.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Virgin.
I won't have anything to do with that tacky brand

Stratofish

Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:37 pm

That list would be way too long to post on here, but I'll post a selection:

Quoting aloges (Reply 2):
I want nothing whatsoever to do with Axel Springer AG, most importantly their number one publication "Bild". However, avoiding them is difficult due to their numerous participations.

- What used to be United Fruit Co. (involvement in civil wars)
- North-German Burger King affiliates (abuse/treatment of employees)
- Lidl (German grocery stores - abuse/treatment of employees, tax evasion)
- Shell (I have not forgotten the "Brent Spar" stunt!)
- ANY store that uses one of those signs you place directly on the sidewalk in the path of everyone. Yes I do get to see what you offer, but I am so p***ed off by your obstructing the path I want to walk that you will not get any of my business!

And since this is an aviation forum:
- Ryanair (subsidies raider /locust, abuse/treatment of employees, payment, airports, advertising... EVERYTHING!)
- LH TXL / BER operations (despicable and uncalled for outsourcing of staff)
- Spirit and the likes...
- Air Berlin (currently under review, might fly them again if they change their practices now that "Unhold" is gone, still don't like their open political conservative approach though)
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

LOWS

Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Similarly, I won't ever buy a copy of the Austrian „Kronen Zeitung“ which is 10x times worse than Bild. Even further to the right, and they back our populist-right Freedom Party.

srbmod

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:14 pm

I don't tend to boycott companies, I tend to boycott locations. If I have a bad experience at a location of a retail or restaurant chain, I tend to avoid that location for a time (especially if I make use of one of their "how was your visit" online surveys in the hopes of getting things straightened out).

About the only company I try to avoid in general is Starbucks. It's overhyped coffee that is not worth the price they charge for it. Working in the coffee industry and knowing how much our company charges our accounts for coffee, it gives me an idea on how much of a markup big coffee chains like Starbucks put on their products. Even on the most high end coffee they sell in their stores, they are paying remarkably less for it than small coffee companies and since they don't have a middleman, that also keeps their costs down (our company is the middleman as we are a supplier and not the end user of the product) and increases revenue. I've probably had Starbucks less than a dozen times in the last 7 years, and only then it was when I was on vacation and I wanted a shot of espresso or an iced coffee and that was the only option (or the closest option).

Ps76

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi!

I don't boycott anything but my aunt boycotts Marks & Spencer because she thinks (is deluded?) it is run by zionists who give millions in profit to the IDF in Israel. She really likes their food and clothes though so every now and then we go there and buy a ton of stuff. How does she live with herself!

Pierre

Stratofish

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 13):
especially if I make use of one of their "how was your visit" online surveys in the hopes of getting things straightened out

I do know that companies pay significant sums to providers of CRM software and analysis of custumer satisfaction. Still, I doubt these have much of an impact and are worth the effort.
Also I try to avoid Starbucks but purely because I think thei're too expensive and I have better options. Does that fit the definition of boykott? (Is there one?)

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 9):
Only companies that don't provide what I want at the right price. If they do, I don't care about anything else really.

Please don't take it personally, but, the lack of ANY idealism of someone your age is ...worrying.
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

LOWS

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Quoting Stratofish (Reply 11):

I completely forgot about LIDL. It is an awful place to shop. And the quality of their products, unlike Hofer/ALDI and PENNY are considerably worse than the full price shops.

dcaviation

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:35 pm

I boycott AA since 1997. Because of nasty customer service.
Also Sprint for the same reason.

Bongodog1964

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:39 pm

To my mind you need very strong principles to boycott a company, and need to be sure of your facts, some of the justifications above are a little weak/incorrect to say the least. You might just be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I have a number of companies I prefer to avoid, none for political reasons, but due to a perception of poor service/poor products.

Macdonalds - mediocre food, mediocre staff
Ryanair - penny pinching, might as well travel by bus.
Subway - mediocre food
Starbucks, weak dishwater instead of coffee
Virgin Atlantic, really hacked me off the last time I flew with them, plus can't abide SRB
Barclays Bank - tried to rip us off over a trust fund.

However if I need coffee and starbucks is the only option, I won't go thirsty, likewise if Ryanair is the only direct flight option I'll use them etc.

babybus

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:49 pm

I also boycott Procter and Gamble (animal testing

I haven't been to a KFC in over 20 years due to their mass rearing and mis-treatment of chickens. Animal welfare is very important to me.

Quoting Stratofish (Reply 11):

Lidl and Aldi have a good name in the UK as good payers. Students love to work there.

Quoting 747438 (Reply 10):
Virgin.I won't have anything to do with that tacky brand
Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 18):
Virgin Atlantic, really hacked me off the last time I flew with them, plus can't abide SRB

Add me to the list. I will have nothing whatsoever to do with that brand. Even mentioning the name makes me angry.  
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Braniff747SP

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:02 pm

I have never boycotted a company: for me, a boycott happens when the company does something you don't agree with. Some companies do this, but I don't boycott them; generally, I could not care less. However, there are companies I avoid like the plague--McDonald's, for example, because their food is utter garbage, and there is much better food out there. I won't walk into one. I don't consider it a boycott; if I did not eat there because they abuse animals or something of the sort, then that be a boycott.... this is a matter of personal taste. In general, though, I don't care. I get the best product, regardless of the company. (Or the cheapest product, in things like airfare.)
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

BMI727

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:19 pm

Quoting Stratofish (Reply 15):
Please don't take it personally, but, the lack of ANY idealism of someone your age is ...worrying.

Worrying? You should be applauding it, as idealism is the enemy of action. Idealism is what moves people to "occupy" things, abandoning hygiene and decency in the name of...something...maybe.

It's just business.

aloges

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Many of you have stated, essentially, that there is a difference between avoiding a company and a boycott. That's exactly right. It's only a boycott if you consciously avoid a company for a reason other than the quality or price of their product.

I avoid loads of places, such as Lidl, but every now and then I may set foot into one of their stores. But I won't even take a free paper from Springer.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 21):
idealism is the enemy of action.

Oh dear.  rotfl  You don't really have a grasp on history, do you?

[Edited 2012-07-08 08:23:01]

MadameConcorde

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Monsanto - I call them Monsatan
and all GMO related companies I am aware of that are using any or all Monsanto patents.

Most large food chains such as McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC, BurgerKing, Starbucks, Coca Cola, Pespi and such. Food stores such as Leader Price, Aldi, Lidl and such.

As long as we are still given the right to take our hardly earned money where we want and be able to choose, I will be using this right for as much as I can.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

rampart

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:33 pm

I used to avoid Carl's Jr. restaurants, for the right-wing anti-gay stance of their owner. (And I hated their commercials to boot!) It's been years, and I haven't seen a Carl's in a long time. So it's out of mind. Same with Cracker Barrel, if I'm driving cross country. Not keen on Dominos pizza either. Plenty of other options.

I still avoid Exxon. Think of the thousands of dollars I've deprived them since 1989.   

On a parallel note, I try to buy wild-caught sustainable fish and free-range, non-genetically altered meats. Not exactly a boycot, but a consumer tendency.

Rotten customer service will have me avoid individual stores. I've got plenty of choice, and given a chance with a customer service survey, I'll let them know. I had a deposit refunded for that from a car dealer once.

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 18):
However if I need coffee and starbucks is the only option, I won't go thirsty,

You could always get water, or a coke. I can't stand skunk coffee. I'm not that dependent on coffee to drink something that upsets me. If I'm with friends, I could get a tea or hot cider. Or a coke.

-Rampart

hOMSaR

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Walmart

Also, McDonald's (though that's less of a boycott than it is a matter of I never intend to eat there again because I have too much respect for my physical body)
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.

bjorn14

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 1):
Tine in Norway

I buy Q milk whenever I can
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

johns624

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Walmart. I've read too many stories of rotten things they've done for them to be isolated instances, like they claim.

BMI727

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 22):
Oh dear.    You don't really have a grasp on history, do you?

Quite a good one actually. Like how the Soviet Union wasted the better part of a century pursuing the idealist fantasy of Communism. And there are plenty of other wastes of time and resources on overly idealistic ideas.

The world runs on power and money. Accept it and exploit it.

Quoting rampart (Reply 24):
I still avoid Exxon. Think of the thousands of dollars I've deprived them since 1989.

Fish and birds can't power my car. I have to keep my priorities straight.

Quoting johns624 (Reply 27):
Walmart.

But they have products I want and prices virtually no one can match. I'm not going to punish myself for whatever sin Walmart committed this week.

Jetsgo

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:43 pm

I'd really like to think I have other things to worry about life than partake in some boycott. Besides, the term has become way overused and perverted throughout the years. Avoiding The Home Depot because of some jingle they had ten years ago... that's not a boycott that's just stupid. Like others have said, I tend to end up where price is best and if I must avoid anything it will be particular locations not the entire company itself. .....However if I were to be a team player here and go along, I would have to say I try to avoid Walmart - especially for grocery shopping. But given the fact they're down the street and open 24 hours, I still end up there more often than I'd like.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

af773atmsp

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:06 pm

I avoid Walmart mainly because I just don't like the company in general. Toyota, Honda, and their luxury brands will never get my business either. Too much overhype about their "reliable" cars.
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

Zentraedi

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:11 pm

American Airlines and United Airlines for their terrible customer service and poor attitudes.

Even if you don't have the nicest planes or service amenities, you could at least deal with people in a pleasant and civil manner.

Never had those issues on any other US airline that I've flown.

Superfly

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Delta Airlines
Air Asia
Bring back the Concorde

fr8mech

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:25 pm

I believe that boycotts, without political action are useless.

Read that as: one person, one family, one group, boycotting anything doesn't do a thing without some kind of public statement, protest, news release, etc.

I doubt that Home Depot could give a rat's butt if the OP didn't care for the jingle. Now, if some movement was formed and protest were raised and the organization felt some impact, ok, but one person?

But, if it helps you sleep at night...have a ball.

I especially like the 'boycott the oil companies on (pick a day). Don't buy gas and teach them a lesson.' You know what: go a week or 10 days or a month without visiting a gas station and you'll get my attention. Go a day or 2 and you're just a hypocrite.

And, just to add to the noise:

-I don't eat fast food. Not because of the way they treat the animals or prepare the food. Because, I don't like it.
But, I don't shy from getting the kids a Happy Meal, now and again.
-I shop local when I can, if it makes sense economically, not because I hate big box stores but because I want to support local entrepreneurs.
-I won't even go into The Home Depot on Westport Rd because of lousy customer service and an indifferent management team. But, I'll go to any other one.

For a while, I avoided (ok, boycotted) places that posted 'No Concealed Weapons' signs. But, realized that I was just hurting myself and denying myself options. So, I'm not bothered anymore.

So, to summarize, unless there is a concerted general effort to deny business to an organization, an individual boycott is more likely to affect only the boycotter and not the target. But, if it makes you feel ok, then go for it.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

aloges

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 28):
And there are plenty of other wastes of time and resources on overly idealistic ideas.

Those highly "idealist fantasy" include democracy, which isn't exactly a fallacy - but it has been considered one for the best part of human history.

It runs on many other things as well. For instance, how exactly did having you give your parents more power or money?

I do hope that is just world-class trolling.

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 31):
Never had those issues on any other US airline that I've flown.

I've had a very bad experience with Delta, but when I gave them another chance, they turned out to be no worse than the others.

[Edited 2012-07-08 10:31:18]

bohica

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:02 pm

I work in the delivery business where a substantial amount of my income comes from tips. If a business I deliver to does not tip me, I will be more than happy to shop at one of their competitors.

Several people mentioned Starbucks. Yes, they are overpriced. However I don't "boycott" them. I look for the nearest 7-eleven, Wawa, or other convenience store to get my coffee. BTW the coffee at 7-eleven and Wawa is better than Starbucks IMO and costs less. I also avoid Dunkin Donuts because their coffee is overpriced compared to convenience stores.

Some mentioned oil companies. All gasoline goes through some complicated clearinghouse before it gets to a gas station. Therefore the gas you buy at Shell could have come from BP, the gas at 7-eleven could come from Exxon, the gas at Sunoco might have come from Citgo, etc. All boycotting a particular gasoline brand does is hurt the local mom-and-pop gasoline station.

rampart

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:04 pm

Nor does whale oil, but it might have had society remained in the rut that kept their "priorities straight". You have your priorities, I have mine. Another one of my priorities is to try to compensate for yours (collectively) by working toward understanding, education, and empathy. Probably lost on individuals, but over time, that attitude simply dies out. Otherwise we'd be still have cesspool rivers, wetlands paved over with airports and malls, and be wearing gas masks. Or, powering your car with whale oil and treating your flu with bloodletting. Fortunately, attitudes change, except for stubborn resistance from a few holdouts.

Quoting aloges (Reply 34):

Oh, he is, and I bit for it. But I think he does have himself convinced.

TecumsehSherman

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:16 pm

I don't boycott any companies.

I will boycott anything from Arizona, because of how out of control their right-wing government has become. I won't have anything to do with Arizona.

Jetsgo

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Quoting TecumsehSherman (Reply 37):
I will boycott anything from Arizona, because of how out of control their right-wing government has become. I won't have anything to do with Arizona.

Ah yes the broken record appears again! Right bad. Left good. We get it. Was it worth your $25? Btw, why couldn't you post all this under your real username? What's there to hide?
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

johns624

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:50 pm

do hope that is just world-class trolling.

No, he's still in school and living at home with his parents and thinks he knows what the world is all about. His thread on how much money he wanted to make awhile ago proves it. As my Dad used to say "all brains and no common sense".

NoUFO

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:14 pm

I want nothing whatsoever to do with Axel Springer AG, most importantly their number one publication "Bild".

I don't read "Bild". The free copy I found in my letter box when they celebrated their 60th(?) anniversary ended up in the recycling bin - unread.

But: OftenI find Der Spiegel and particularly Spiegel Online nearly as bad as Bild. At least Bild admits of being a yellow press paper, whereas Spiegel is giving others the impression of being a reliable news source - which is bull. And this is not about political orientation. It is about journalism standards Der Spiegel and Spiegel Online often do not meet. I could easily start blogging about "lies" Spiegel Online publishes - the equivalent to Bildblog - and would not run out of stories to blog about.

[Edited 2012-07-08 12:14:56]
I support the right to arm bears

aloges

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 40):
Often I find Der Spiegel and particularly Spiegel Online nearly as bad as Bild.

Absolutely.    I used to have a subscription to the magazine and would read quite a few of the articles on the web. I cancelled the subscription long ago and almost every glance at their website results in little but despair... I do however get some light entertainment from their forums.    They have almost become worthy of a boycott.

windy95

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 38):
Quoting TecumsehSherman (Reply 37):I will boycott anything from Arizona, because of how out of control their right-wing government has become. I won't have anything to do with Arizona.Ah yes the broken record appears again! Right bad. Left good. We get it. Was it worth your $25? Btw, why couldn't you post all this under your real username? What's there to hide?

Was wondering his original name myself.

BMI727

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 31):
American Airlines and United Airlines for their terrible customer service and poor attitudes.

That's not a boycott, that's using competitors because you like their service better.

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 29):
But given the fact they're down the street and open 24 hours,

Exactly. I don't care if they bribe every official in Mexico, when I need toothpaste and a light bulb, I need toothpaste and a light bulb. I'm not going to risk my oral hygiene to make a point (to myself, nobody else will know or care).

For instance, how exactly did having you give your parents more power or money?

It probably didn't. But for me business is business.

Not at all. I mean fish and turtles are nice and all, but I get more enjoyment from my car and other hydrocarbon intensive objects and activities than they could ever offer.

Quoting johns624 (Reply 39):
His thread on how much money he wanted to make awhile ago proves it

Let me clarify, I doubt I'll ever make that kind of money. The odds are highly against it. The point was that it was the number where making money would probably stop being a main priority for me. I'm not one of those "just give me enough money to have a comfortable lifestyle and save for retirement" people. I'm not wired that way and think it's kind of silly that anyone is, but other people can have whatever priorities they wish.

fr8mech

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 43):
That's not a boycott, that's using competitors because you like their service better.

Correct. A boycott would be if you forego your trip because you choose to not fly them (assuming they are the only ones that serve the market)...and then make a public stink about it.

aloges

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:48 pm

For instance, how exactly did having you give your parents more power or money?
Quoting BMI727 (Reply 43):
It probably didn't. But for me business is business.

You're starting to contradict yourself. That's good.  

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 44):
A boycott would be if you forego your trip because you choose to not fly them (assuming they are the only ones that serve the market)...and then make a public stink about it.

You could choose an alternative means of transport - train, car or flying carpet - and not make a stink about it, but it would still be your own personal boycott.

BMI727

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 45):
You're starting to contradict yourself. That's good.

Not at all. When I say that the world runs on power and money, what I'm getting at is that it is ridiculous to support "everybody play nice and contribute for the common good" ideas because they don't work. The only way to make them function at all on a large scale is coercion, which is basically the opposite of the intent.

I have no time for idealistic crusades and I'm not about to deprive myself of something for the well being, perceived or otherwise, of some group unless it benefits me. (Yes, if it helps you sleep at night and feel good about yourself then it does benefit you. Boycott away and don't try to convince me to join in. And be honest that it's for your peace of mind) Sure it sucks that some people work in factories for a dollar a day, but it sucks for them and not for me. The only thing for me to do is thank my lucky stars I was born in America, put on those shoes, and go play ball.

It would be nice to take care of everyone and make everyone happy, but that just costs way too much. So I'll settle for taking care of myself and making myself happy.

aloges

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:22 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 46):
I have no time for idealistic crusades

Oh, trust me, you are on one...  

Anyway, I've just noticed a link in the "Similar topics" field on the bottom of the page:
I'll Boycott Eurovision!will You? (by RootsAir May 13 2005 in Non Aviation)
IIRC, the Eurovision contest is not organised by a company in the traditional sense, but boy do I boycott it!  The same goes for almost everything organised by UEFA and FIFA, although those tend to act like syndicates rather than like companies.

fr8mech

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 45):
You could choose an alternative means of transport - train, car or flying carpet - and not make a stink about it, but it would still be your own personal boycott.

And, I suggested in my previous posts that if it makes you feel better, more power to you. But, an individual boycott hurts the boycotter more than the target, especially in a market with limited suppliers.

MD11Engineer

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:36 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 40):
But: OftenI find Der Spiegel and particularly Spiegel Online nearly as bad as Bild. At least Bild admits of being a yellow press paper, whereas Spiegel is giving others the impression of being a reliable news source - which is bull. And this is not about political orientation. It is about journalism standards Der Spiegel and Spiegel Online often do not meet. I could easily start blogging about "lies" Spiegel Online publishes - the equivalent to Bildblog - and would not run out of stories to blog about.

I agree. I´ve been reading the Spiegel since about 35 years now (since I nicked from my father´s desk every monday when I was a little boy). It used to be better and have better researched articles, giving more background information. It used to be fatter as well, with more text and less pictures.
I think since Augstein died, the owners and management went into the "infotainment" direction.
I prefered the Spiegel to be the assault artillery of democracy (Sturmgeschütz der Demokratie), what it was up to the 1980s.
I still buy the magazine every monday, but more and more I wonder if I just wasted my € 4.20.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi