Ps76
Topic Author

Why Doesn't Microsoft Have A Online Video Site?

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:42 am

Hi!

Was wondering something today which I thought I'd ask. As far as I know Google now owns Youtube(?) which I believe is the most popular video site in Western countries. Adverts for many of these sites are getting longer so they must be making quite a bit of cash off them. But as far as I know Microsoft doesn't have one of these sites. Or do they? You'd think they have enough money to start one or even enter the online feature film business. I have noticed too that games are more commonly being bought online and downloaded these days but I guess it's easier for each gaming publisher to just sell directly rather than through a Microsoft marketplace.

Anyway back to the original question is there a reason Microsoft doesn't have it's own version of Youtube. Have they just given up trying to copy google and failing (like does anyone prefer Bing to Google search!).

Any thoughts welcome.

Many thanks.

P.

kngkyle
Crew

RE: Why Doesn't Microsoft Have A Online Video Site?

Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:30 am

Perhaps because Youtube isn't very profitable, if at all. Just google 'youtube profitable' and you'll find plenty of articles on it, heres one:

http://www.investorplace.com/2011/09...outube-goog-video-editing-netflix/

Ps76
Topic Author

RE: Why Doesn't Microsoft Have A Online Video Site?

Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:42 am

Hi!

Quoting kngkyle (Reply 1):
Perhaps because Youtube isn't very profitable, if at all. Just google 'youtube profitable' and you'll find plenty of articles on it, heres one:

That's interesting info. Most of the ads you can skip in 5 seconds anyway. And that particular article speaks of Google introducing an embedded video editing thing which not only seems like something which would be quite slow and cumbersome to use but also because it would be free it wouldn't generate any cash for them anyway.

Maybe they could fine people every time they made an inflammatory remark or got in a stupid argument in the comments section. They would make millions!

Many thanks.

P.