stasisLAX
Topic Author

General Motors To Jettison Opel/Vauxhall? Holden?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:03 am

General Motors seems to be signalling auto industry analysts that it plans to close the Opel and Vauxhall brands after several financial quarters of massive losses, plant closures, and poor sales in a very poor European economy. Opel's fourth CEO in three years was suddenly replaced by executives at GM headquarters last week, as General Motors management in Detroit panicked in the realization that the flood of red ink in GM's European operations threatens to take the entire corporation back into bankruptcy. "GM must not have been satisfied with the (European) business plan," one auto analysts remarked "This kind of message is catastrophic."

Two weeks ago, the Opel supervisory board approved a recovery business plan, which runs through 2016, in a step toward returning GM Europe to profitability. But real savings in a restructuring will not come until GM negotiates a new agreeement with labor unions to close the Bochum, Germany plant - after 2016.

"We've lost $14 billion in the last 12 years. It's got to stop," GM Worldwide CEO Akerson said of GM Europe last month. "We're looking at some sort of agreement with our unions that would allow us to consolidate." In June, Akerson said it could be 2 years before GM was profitable in Europe again.

Auto analysts said the move showed the U.S. automaker's growing intolerance for the losses in Europe. If GM sell or mothballs its Opel/Vauxhall operations, would GM Holden be next? The Oz market is very small in comparison with Asia or North America - and Holden has been dependent on engineering support from Opel for years. Could Opel, Holden, and Vauxhall brands all be replaced by a resurgent global Chevrolet brand, as many auto analysts have predicted??

Source: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...a-step-away-from-giving-up-on-opel

[Edited 2012-07-16 20:05:55]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

mham001

RE: General Motors To Jettison Opel/Vauxhall? Holden?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:29 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Thread starter):
If GM sell or mothballs its Opel/Vauxhall operations, would GM Holden be next? The Oz market is very small in comparison with Asia or North America - and Holden has been dependent on engineering support from Opel for years. Could Opel, Holden, and Vauxhall brands all be replaced by a resurgent global Chevrolet brand, as many auto analysts have predicted??

They probably have enough hot engines and parts stashed away to keep building cars for awhile after GM left.

Ps76

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:22 am

Hi!

Could Opel, Holden, and Vauxhall brands all be replaced by a resurgent global Chevrolet brand

Speaking only from the UK the Vauxhall brand is still a far far better seller than Chevrolet. Don't get me wrong though my family owns a Chevrolet. It was very economical to buy, it's reliable (touch wood), we love it! But you just don't see many Chevrolets around and you still see a ton of Vauxhalls. Personally I have always thought it was because people for some reason percieve Vauxhall (and Ford) to be somehow quite "British" cars whereas the brand name Chevrolet is no mistaking it's USA thorough and through!

I may be completely crazy with that last statement though!

Many thanks.

Pierre

JJJ

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:06 am

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 2):
the brand name Chevrolet is no mistaking it's USA thorough and through!

GM did a huge mistake in just slapping the chevy badge on some poorly made daewoo models.

Despite the American heritage, Chevrolet mostly means "cheapo Korean" in Europe, and despite enormous marketing efforts (they're sponsoring the Spanish football team, for example), their market quota is extremely small except for some Eastern European countries like Russia.

Chevy sells less cars in Spain than Opel sells Astras (not to mention corsas).

flipdewaf

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:09 am

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 2):
I may be completely crazy with that last statement though!

I know where you are coming from, they don't tend to sell any of their big brash models that I kind of associate with the US market.

Fred

vc10

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:25 am

The problem with Chevrolet cars , well in the UK at least , is that although they are quite cheap to buy new , for their size they are expensive to run due to their high emissions and poor MPG when you compare them to their competition.

In the UK again Vauxhall had two of their models in the top 10 sales list, but that does not mean they are making a profit on their sales.

PS76 ----I agree that the Vauxhall brand name is perceived as being British and so helps with sales. Even GM must have realized this as GM Europe models throughout the world are sold under the name Opel except in the UK where they are sold as Vauxhall

JJJ

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:32 am

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 5):
they don't tend to sell any of their big brash models that I kind of associate with the US market

At least they're offering the Camaro now (and in Chevy dealers, not like the Corvette that is sold on Cadillac dealers).

Not that they're selling any, but look good on the dealer floor.

racko

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:59 am

I've said it before:

They might as well just pull out of the German market altogether. The Opel brand is damaged, yes, but nothing like the comically horrible brand that is Chevrolet. It is considered literally the worst car brand there is. That's not hyperbole: Here is the brand strength index published by the ADAC. If you're looking for Chevrolet, start looking at the bottom.

And that's before murdering Opel if your scenario plays out.

na

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:08 pm

GM is, like Ford a desaster. Imperialistic policy, only interested in money, not in building truly competitive cars, destroying all brands.

vc10

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Here are the figures for the UK in 2011and you can see that here Vauxhall are second in the market after Ford, but both of them have suffered a reduction in their share of the market. The three German makers are then 3rd 4th and 5th with their share increasing. For me the eye opener was the decline in the share of the market that the French car makers have suffered

http://www.best-selling-cars.com/bri...and-marques-in-the-united-kingdom/

Ps76

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi!

Quoting vc10 (Reply 9):
For me the eye opener was the decline in the share of the market that the French car makers have suffered

I wonder why that is. Their cars don't seem to have changed substantially or their business models. For Renault it's kinda ironic seeing that from what little I know I think they started hiring British designers to make the exterior looks of their vehicles yet suffered a loss in the British market. I'm not sure if that is true though.

Many thanks.

Pierre

mham001

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Quoting na (Reply 8):
like Ford a desaster. Imperialistic policy, only interested in money, not in building truly competitive cars, destroying all brands.

Ford doesn't make competitive cars? Last I looked, they make 2 of the top 3 best selling cars in Britain.

[Edited 2012-07-17 07:29:56]

JJJ

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 11):
Last I looked, they have the best selling car in (either) Europe of Britain - by far.

The best selling car in Europe is the VW Golf.

In any case, lumping Ford with GM is a huge mistake. Ford know how and when to adapt to different tastes, markets and trends. The new 3-cyl 1.0 ecoboost is a winner.

na

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Ford doesn't make competitive cars? Last I looked, they make 2 of the top 3 best selling cars in Britain.

Ok, Ford is not as bad as GM, granted. I was a bit unjust to throw them in the same sentence as GM.
But Ford has also been exploiting brands like GM does and wonders why it doesnt work.
Ford builds good everyday transports, their cars are ordinary bread-and-butter, but they dont have much sense for the finer things.

PanHAM

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Quoting vc10 (Reply 9):
The three German makers are then 3rd 4th and 5th with their share increasing. For me the eye opener was the decline in the share of the market that the

Cross counting, the VW group has about 377000 cars sold in the UK (VW, Audi, SEAT, SKODA and Porsche) clearl the market leader.

Quoting na (Reply 8):
GM is, like Ford a desaster. Imperialistic

if there's one imperium in global car manufacturing, it the empire created by the Piech / Porsche families under the VW umbrella.

Ford doesn't make competitive cars?

Ford , indeed, is lenghts better than Opel. They are not on level with the VW group, but far ahead of Opel by all means. If I had only the choice between Opel and Ford, I'd clearly go for Ford.

Opel is a desaster by all means, the workers council runs the place instead of the management, backed by politicians of almost all colors, insisting on decisions that make no business sense. A 3,some billion government loan was luckily prevented by the FDP liberal party. Us taxpayers would have never seen the money back.

Instead of shaping up the company by downsizing the number of employees they give job guarantees. A job guarantee is like writing a bad check. How can a company give a job guarantee when the company does not have a sales guarantee? Opel sold 15% less in the first half year, how can you maintain the workforce by selling less cars?

Of course, GM is at fault in many ways. They sell Korean junk cars under the name of Chevrolet on Opels home turf but do not allow Opel to sell in Asia. Why Korean cars in first place when you have under employed factories in Europe? That metal could be assembled as well in Eisenach/Germany or the Polish factory or both. Or Bochum as well.
powered by Eierlikör

na

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 14):
if there's one imperium in global car manufacturing, it the empire created by the Piech / Porsche families under the VW umbrella.

Well, thats a business empire that works because their credo is as much about quality as about money. And their workers are payed better than almost anywhere else in the motor industry.

Of course, GM is at fault in many ways. They sell Korean junk cars under the name of Chevrolet on Opels home turf but do not allow Opel to sell in Asia. Why Korean cars in first place when you have under employed factories in Europe? That metal could be assembled as well in Eisenach/Germany or the Polish factory or both. Or Bochum as well.

I dont know anyone who would buy such cars, and I dont understand such people (I´d rather get a three year old Golf than that Korean-Chevy crap). But some people do buy them, and they´ll likely not pay the price which would be asked for when built here.

Opel is a desaster by all means, the workers council runs the place instead of the management, backed by politicians of almost all colors, insisting on decisions that make no business sense. A 3,some billion government loan was luckily prevented by the FDP liberal party. Us taxpayers would have never seen the money back.

Thank god that was avoided. Typically politician crap: they would rather throw billions into a single big company to help saving 30.000 jobs rather than saving 100.000 in a hundred smaller companies.

Aesma

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:26 pm

a resurgent global Chevrolet brand

So, is Chevrolet making money in Europe ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:53 pm

I'd be interested in knowing what stake the Porsche Piech families now have in VW, or did they just get richer selling their Porsche shares to VW.

canoecarrier

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:01 pm

And isn't the Ford Transit the most popular van sold in the UK as well?
The beatings will continue until morale improves

PanHAM

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 17):
I'd be interested in knowing what stake the Porsche Piech families now have in VW, or did they just get richer selling their Porsche shares to VW.

Since PLC are open books that should be visible on the net. At least when you know under whoich companies they have their holdings. May be even under their real names, . In any case, they have enough shares to be able to control the empire.
powered by Eierlikör

racko

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Ford and GM are day and night when it comes to management. Absolutely unfair to group these two together.

Opel is a desaster by all means, the workers council runs the place instead of the management, backed by politicians of almost all colors, insisting on decisions that make no business sense.

If you could see past your political convictions you would see that this is utter bullshit. The core problems that got Opel in the first place were created by the management, not by the workforce! In fact their worker's council were ringing the alarm bells as early as 1990, but GM, blinded by temporary profits, ran the company straight into wall. If Opel had been run by their worker's council, as you claim, they wouldn't be in this mess by now. The workforce saw the quality drop and all innovation cease - but to stop that trend would have cost money, and would have looked bad in the next quarterly result.

VW faced the same quality issues Opel faced (caused by the same people, as VW, jealously looking at Opel's short-term profits, just hired them) - but at least they didn't stop investing in R&D and design, because Piech is probably the ultimate "car guy". They saw in time that the quality was a huge problem, and corrected it.

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 17):

>50%.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 16):
So, is Chevrolet making money in Europe ?

lol

petertenthije

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 20):
They saw in time that the quality was a huge problem, and corrected it.

I am not too sure that VW where in time. Their TSI engines are having plenty of issues. In particular with the timing belt.
Attamottamotta!

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:04 am

Quoting vc10 (Reply 9):
For me the eye opener was the decline in the share of the market that the French car makers have suffered

Which may be why GM is now in a partnership with PSA!!   
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

ltbewr

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:05 am

I doubt any of these 3 brands will disappear soon. There are too many marketing issues, old historical issues, politics, dealer issues and so on that will force them to keep the brands as well all of their remaining ones for the foreseeable future. GM has ditched in recent years Saturn, Pontiac and Oldsmobile in NA, losing customers, dealerships and their employees to Toyota, Nissan and Honda as well as Ford.
But for some high performance cars such as BMW, M-B, Audi, there is no great advantage of making cars in western Europe but to keep politicians and unions happy.

Aesma

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:16 am

I disagree, especially for the German brands you mention, the "made in Germany" sticker is essential.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:29 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 24):
I disagree, especially for the German brands you mention, the "made in Germany" sticker is essential.

Yup you should see how pissed US buyers are when they discover that their new 3 series comes with a made in South Africa sticker instead of made in Germany. There's loads of posts about this in a BMW forum I frequent.

JJJ

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:45 am

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 21):
Their TSI engines are having plenty of issues.

IIRC it was just the 1.4 in the 160/170/180hp version. The 120-140s were ok.

Still, Fiat had no problem with their 1.4Tb (up to 170 with multiair)

PanHAM

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:06 am

Quoting racko (Reply 20):

VW faced the same quality issues Opel faced (caused by the same people, as VW, jealously looking at Opel's short-term profits, just hired them) - but at least they didn't stop investing in R&D and design, because Piech is probably the ultimate "car guy". They saw in time that the quality was a huge problem, and corrected it.

Ignacio Lopez is long time history, VW has corrected what he did and certainly kept the good ideas and Opel had the chances as well, they just did not do it,

Now, basic business knowledge has nothing to do with politics, usually, polititicians have little knowledge how to run a business because those who do do not get into politics. I said earlier that Bruederle/FDP , one of the few in politics who has that business understanding, prevented that Opel got that 3,5 billion loan. Well done.

Now, flogging a dead horse might be political opportune because it may yield some votes but it does not help the company. If a company sells 15 % less cars, the company must reduce the costs. That is inevitable and should be a no brainer. Again, that has nothing to do with politics.

The other option is to increase sales, but that seems to be difficult since the volume / low quality car makers - and that is the niche Opel is in, is crowded by firms that make that kind of cars at much lower costs.

Opel was a quality manufacturer up until the 70s/early 80s. I think it is impossible ever to catch up with VW etc, they've done it, they have platforms (Lopez' idea IIRC) they use across the 12 brands they have, they are efficient, Opel does not have all that and they are kept on the short leash by GM

As to the workers council, the previous head really run the place and he did not do the cause a favor. No company will survive that does not have its costs under control and cannot adjust costs to market situation.

Simply business basics.

Trumpeting over the media that the closure of the Bochum plant will be the "most expensive closure Europe has ever seen" is simple BS. If I would sit in the GM board I'd say we sell these guys to the Chinese and let them handle that.