D L X
Topic Author

The Things That Make Romney Great!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Okay conservatives, let's try an experiment. I have started the thread. Not a thread about Obama, but rather a thread about Romney. Tell me why he's great! Lemme hear it! I'm all ears, and my mind is open, so convince me!

Just one rule: it has to be about Romney. If you mention Obama, you lose.

Ready? Go!

Confuscius

RE: The Things That Make Romney Great!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:30 pm

A man of true conviction, he neither waffles nor flip-flops; A lifelong advocate of a free enterprise health care system and the Right-to-Life movement. An unscrupulous businessman and job creator, he has created many thousands in places such as China, India and Vietnam...and banking accounts in Switzerland and the Cayman Islands.

Also an animal lover, he takes his dog on vacations.

[Edited 2012-07-18 08:49:31]
Ain't I a stinker?

mt99

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:47 pm

He has well laid out plans for immigration and for health care post-Obamacare repeal.
Step into my office, baby

Revelation

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:09 pm

He understands how vital the middle class is to a nation's future, therefore he's spent a lifetime building strong and vibrant middle classes all throughout Asia.

He understands how so many corporate leadership careers have sprung from menial entry level jobs, so he's spent his career creating plenty of those in the US and abroad.

He understands how vital transparency is to the political process, so he's released an entire years worth of tax returns.

He has an excellent understanding of the proper height for trees.

[Edited 2012-07-18 10:19:00]
Inspiration, move me brightly!

flyingturtle

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:20 pm

He does not need to beg for any money.

The election campaign is paid for by himself.
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

4holer

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:23 pm

His hair, and his undergarments, are capable of amazing things.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

einsteinboricua

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:45 pm

He's capable of very deep and inspirational messages like:

Quote:
I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love.

He does not discriminate against anyone and accepts every one as equals, except gays, Latinos, and non-Christians which are not compatible with the American way (Jews are exempted).

Has the power to defy the laws of nature and confer personhood to conceptual, non-living entities. I wonder if next they will also be baptized and married.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Superfly

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Quoting D L X (Thread starter):
Okay conservatives,

Only conservatives can participate?

I'll chime in anyway.
He is the only American running in one of the two major political parties.   

He also has street cred...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwwAaVmnf4

If you mention Obama, you lose.

We've ALL lost every since the USSC made it's selection of George W. Bush as President back in December of 2000.
Bring back the Concorde

Mir

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:36 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
He also has street cred...

R-Money in the hizzouse!!!

Seriously though, could we actually get some conservatives to chime in on this?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DocLightning

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):
Seriously though, could we actually get some conservatives to chime in on this?

I doubt it, because he's not exactly their dream candidate. Let's not forget that he is the chief architect of the ACA. He is the one who strongly supported the individual mandate. He was the governor of Massachusetts, which is not exactly a state known for Conservative politics. And then, while he's not "Muslim" and "A foreigner," like incumbent is, he's Mormon, which is a bitter pill to swallow for Evangelicals.

As far as I can tell, the only good thing Conservatives have to say about him is: "He's not the guy in the WH right now."

(Edited to remove all mentions of the name of the incumbent President, in accordance with the wishes of the OP)

[Edited 2012-07-18 12:37:45]
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

einsteinboricua

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
http://www.howilostthegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/sorry-you-just-lost-the-game.jpg

Literally...

If you mention Obama, you lose.

[Edited 2012-07-18 12:05:54]

D L X
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Obamacare
"He's not Obama."

Doc....

the rule is no mentioning of Obama. Maybe you've stumbled across the answer, in that there is no way to talk positively about Romney, only negatively about the other guy.

Any conservatives (or anyone for that matter) want to accept the challenge?

Revelation

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Members of major African American organizations are quite responsive to his ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EjW4GfmSrc

Confuscius

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 10):

Doc, as punishment, you shall be banished to Romney's hometown of Casas Grandes, in the state of Chihuahua.
Ain't I a stinker?

BMI727

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Tell me why he's great! Lemme hear it! I'm all ears, and my mind is open, so convince me!

He's not. The best thing about him is that he's not Obama. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd not rather have another four years of the devil we know and find somebody better in 2016.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

casinterest

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:43 pm

Romney is great because like GWB he abtains from alcohol. He also abstains from Caffiene and Tobacco.
Romney is great because he knows how to efficiently pack the car for a family vacation and keep the dog on the roof.
Romney is great because he knows how to effictively offshore American Jobs that are just too expensive in order to maintain the bottom line of a corporation.
Romney is great because he knows how to effectively handle former Swiss bank accounts by deciding not to release his previous tax records, in direct opposition to transparency supported by his father.
Romney is great because he knows how to effictively implement a big government health solutioin at the state level, but decides that it is not a federal responsibility for all Americans.
Romney is great in that he can identify with the middle class because he knows race car owners, and only threw 35 million dollars of his own money into his 2008 presidential campaign.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 11):

the rule is no mentioning of Obama

You just broke the rule, so there! :-p

I just edited my response to remove any mention of "He Who Shall Not Be Named."

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 13):
Doc, as punishment, you shall be banished to Romney's hometown of Casas Grandes, in the state of Chihuahua.

His hometown is Bloomfield Hills, MI, which happens to be my hometown. I'd far rather be banished to somewhere in Mexico than back home. Banishment back to Bloomfield Hills would be like Luke Skywalker being banished back to Tattooine.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 14):
Frankly, I'm not sure I'd not rather have another four years of the devil we know and find somebody better in 2016.

Who are you and what have you done with BMI727?  
Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 10):

-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

BMI727

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 16):
Who are you and what have you done with BMI727?

I've never been a pro-Romney guy. Honestly, people like him because he isn't Obama, and the Republicans had a steaming pile of crap in their presidential candidate pool.

Just take another four years of Obama (I don't think Romney can win anyway), try to keep control of Congress and do four years of damage control before trying again in 2016. You can't quite make Obama the next Jimmy Carter because there isn't a next Ronald Reagan. If there was...

DocLightning

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 17):
try to keep control of Congress and do four years of damage control before trying again in 2016.

"Damage control" like the House repealing the ACA thirty-three times? Or knocking a tick off our credit rating? (Go ahead and blame the Dems, but they weren't the majority party at the time). At some point, Congress has to govern. The reason their approval rating is so low is because they haven't been.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

motif1

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:16 pm

In no particular order:
  1. He won't get elected!
  2. The Health Care Reform in Massachusetts
  3. Spends a lot on his campaign which is good in a bad economy

Maybe there are other things that make him great ... I'll monitor this thread for inspiration.

Cheers!
~M1
Not only is this incomprehensible but the ink is ugly and the paper is from the wrong kind of tree

DocLightning

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Quoting motif1 (Reply 19):
Maybe there are other things that make him great ... I'll monitor this thread for inspiration.

That and he's quite amusing!
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

BMI727

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
"Damage control" like the House repealing the ACA thirty-three times? Or knocking a tick off our credit rating?

Yes. If you can't get good legislation passed, you can at least try and prevent bad legislation. Why should Congress have bowed down to the President, or vice-versa? Hang in there until the other guy blinks and use whatever leverage you have.

Revelation

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Romney is great because he doesn't let his mind be burdened by thinking about all those people whose jobs he offshored while he ran Bain Capital. After all, it's all about the stockholders (or in this case, stockholder), isn't it?

sw733

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 15):
Romney is great because he knows how to efficiently pack the car for a family vacation and keep the dog on the roof.

Can we seriously drop this one? There are so many important, real things to criticize Romney over, can the left not use something petty, stupid and juvenile like this? It's over, move on.

CMHSRQ

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:36 pm

I'll bite,

As an independent I like him because he is a moderate candidate in a land of right and left wingers.
While he is rich I feel that he earned it and deserves to do what he wants with his money. He shouldn't be vilified for being successful, its anti American, this is the land of opportunity. In fact I don't know any rich people who didn't work their arses off to earn everything they have obtained, the current class warfare is very bad for the country.
He knows what it takes to run a business and to make the tough choices to keep that business open. Private industry, unlike government requires you to make money to stay in business.
Before the far right started to heavily influence his campaign it believed in very similar things. Government not spending us into the same situation as Greece, Italy, Spain, etc. Medicare reform, there is so much waste, immigration reform, including a plan for stopping illegal immigration, but handling current illegal immigrants in the country with respect and not just kicking them out. Some type of affordable healthcare for people.

I can tell you one of the biggest reason conservatives are so pissed is they are tired of working their butts off only to be taxed into oblivion and their money handed out to the lazy people of this country.

gotta run
The voice of moderation

DocLightning

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:42 pm

Quoting cmhsrq (Reply 24):
I can tell you one of the biggest reason conservatives are so pissed is they are tired of working their butts off only to be taxed into oblivion and their money handed out to the lazy people of this country.

That argument would make sense if taxes weren't the lowest they've been in the last century.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

4holer

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 23):
It's over, move on.

That's a great idea!!!

Signed,
Jerry Sandusky
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Revelation

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Romney is great at looking after the people who matter the most.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 21):
If you can't get good legislation passed, you can at least try and prevent bad legislation. Why should Congress have bowed down to the President, or vice-versa?

33 times? Do you know how much it costs to run the House for one day? Do you know how much money they wasted? Yes, the "fiscally-responsible" GOP? The same "fiscally-responsible" GOP that is also spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to defend DOMA.

I'll be perfectly honest: Romney doesn't frighten me. It's the fact that he's affiliated with the GOP that frightens me.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

mt99

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 28):
I'll be perfectly honest: Romney doesn't frighten me. It's the fact that he's affiliated with the GOP that frightens me.

I agree 100%. I think he is more reasonable and not so "right" than he is putting himself to be. What frightfulness me is the lengths that he will bend, twist and pander to extreme right groups.

Ohh wait.. sorry was supposed to be a positive thread about Mittens..
Step into my office, baby

BMI727

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:20 pm

33 times?

If people are going to try and push it through 33 times, then you have to reject it 33 times.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 29):
What frightfulness me is the lengths that he will bend, twist and pander to extreme right groups.

As soon as he gets the nomination he won't have to. They won't like voting for him, but they won't vote for anyone else.

bristolflyer

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Romney is so great he will maintain tax breaks for the middle class. This will allow wealthy people to write out smaller checks to the IRS which in turn will conserve ink. This will also help to create more jobs by allowing those people to employ more staff to maintain their homes/second homes/yachts/airplanes.
Fortune favours the brave

smittyone

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:27 pm

He DOES have executive-style hair.

(for the Dilbert fans)

Ken777

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:46 pm

A solid businessman, respected by both parties.

Governor? Pretty good from what I have read.

Financial integrity? Of course!

And he clearly proved it by releasing 12 years of his tax returns to make sure there was no doubt about his integrity, especially when compared to paying his taxes.

George Romney. The REAL man in the family.

Of course, Jr. might eventually man up and deliver his last 1 years.         

DocLightning

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 30):
If people are going to try and push it through 33 times, then you have to reject it 33 times.

They did not push it through 33 times. They voted to REPEAL it 33 times. That's like flipping a light switch 33 times because the light didn't turn on the first time you flipped it. It's idiotic and a waste of time.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 34):
They did not push it through 33 times. They voted to REPEAL it 33 times. That's like flipping a light switch 33 times because the light didn't turn on the first time you flipped it. It's idiotic and a waste of time.

Honestly, what else are they supposed to do, come up with a viable solution? Come on Doc, you know better than that  
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

NASCARAirforce

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Romney had really great hair and a plastic smile - I think he would make a great used car salesman, sure I would buy a car from him

einsteinboricua

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:27 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 36):
Romney had really great hair and a plastic smile - I think he would make a great used car salesman, sure I would buy a car from him

Now that you mention it, he does have the look of a used car salesman.

DocLightning

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 36):

And here I thought he had plastic hair and a great smile.

Hey, some of his sons are hot. That's a positive, right?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

einsteinboricua

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:58 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 38):
Hey, some of his sons are hot. That's a positive, right?

Not if their father does not want to be related to gays.

stratosphere

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 am

As an independent I like him because he is a moderate candidate in a land of right and left wingers

Personally I cannot stand Romney I actually like Obama as a person but do not like his views and appointments and Romney even though he is a flip flopper he will most likely get my vote since I hate Eric Holder. I always said the Republicans would put someone up who was weak and they did. If it was anyone else it would not be such a close race. Obama tried to ram too much down our throats too soon. I agree we need health care reform but the way he went about it and by not putting the economy and jobs first I think was a real big mistake on his part. If he had his priorities in better shape when he took office it would not even be a close race. I really do believe that small businesses are not hiring because of the unknowns with this health care plan among other reasons. I do and will give credit to Obama where it is due even though he has adopted some of the Bush doctrine the drones have worked out pretty well on the terrorists and he was on watch when the seals got Bin Laden and made the call even though it could have gone wrong. But I cannot be behind this spending spree we have to get this under control. This means you too Rebubs no more war machine either we need to let the some of the world take care of their own self. We give far too much money to people who hate our guts while our own streets are crumbling and towns are going broke...Something wrong with this picture. Sorry to get off topic..Go Romney!!

[Edited 2012-07-18 20:48:18]

StarAC17

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:49 am

As far as I can tell, the only good thing Conservatives have to say about him is: "He's not the guy in the WH right now."

Worked great for me.

Cheers,

Kerry's 2004 campaign.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 14):
He's not. The best thing about him is that he's not Obama. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd not rather have another four years of the devil we know and find somebody better in 2016.

See comment above.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 15):

Romney is great because like GWB he abtains from alcohol. He also abstains from Caffiene and Tobacco.

Bush abstains from booze for a reason, he was a drunk. Has Romney ever done anything that temps or has a vice on him like so many of us. He seems too perfect as the simple fact that that's not possible he looks fake.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
"Damage control" like the House repealing the ACA thirty-three times? Or knocking a tick off our credit rating? (Go ahead and blame the Dems, but they weren't the majority party at the time). At some point, Congress has to govern. The reason their approval rating is so low is because they haven't been.

They don't care about progress, they care about getting they guy in the white house out but it may cost them their jobs. Also it may be successful, a lot can happen in 3 months.

While he is rich I feel that he earned it and deserves to do what he wants with his money.

He may have but the difference with Romney as opposed to Obama as he was brought in to wealth and he has increased it since then. However he had many opportunities that many of us would have to work very hard for.

Personally the perfect resemblance of the American Dream is the man sitting in the white house but I will say that is not enough for him to keep the office alone.

He shouldn't be vilified for being successful, its anti American, this is the land of opportunity. In fact I don't know any rich people who didn't work their arses off to earn everything they have obtained, the current class warfare is very bad for the country.

He isn't being vilified for being successful, he is being vilified on how he did it the US loves rich people more than most countries out there. The issue people have is how he earned that fortune and was it done honourably, people don't like the guy who got rich firing others and that is the rhetoric that Dems are painting.

Steve Jobs was a rich guy also and people loved him because he created something that people enjoyed and wanted. There is an argument that Steve jobs was more of a dickhead the Mitt Romney ever could be.

The fact that Romney won't release his tax returns or talk about Bain capital is very striking and shows the public that he is hiding something and this is the opinion of conservatives also. If you are going to campaign as the business man you need to show how your business experience is going to benefit the country. Sure conservatives love this but you have to pull the centre to your side and considering all the banking scandals the declining middle class wages it is getting more and more difficult for Romney to convince the middle class that he will be an improvement.

I agree, I have said this before but him being president means actually Boener/Cantor 2012.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 30):

The same could be said for civil rights and no one would stand for that being repealed, just because legislation isn't that popular at the time of passage doesn't mean its bad. In fact I would say the unpopular stuff is better because some of the most important human accomplishments were rejected by the masses initially.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Superfly

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:35 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 41):
or talk about Bain capital

The current guy in the White House accepted lot$ of ca$h in campaign contribution$ from Bain so he needs to shut his trap about Romney's job at Bain Capital.

the US loves rich people more than most countries out there.

I doubt your country is willing to accept the millions of low-income Americans. We'd be more than happy to send them to you. An American billionaire would have a MUCH easier time immigrating to your country than a poor American so please spare us the usual America-bashing.
Bring back the Concorde

NASCARAirforce

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 42):

I doubt your country is willing to accept the millions of low-income Americans. We'd be more than happy to send them to you. An American billionaire would have a MUCH easier time immigrating to your country than a poor American so please spare us the usual America-bashing.

So are you American or Thai?

CMHSRQ

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):

That argument would make sense if taxes weren't the lowest they've been in the last century.

Doc, look at the total tax burden, not just federal taxes. Almost 40% of my income I earned last year went to taxes. We don't need higher taxes, what we need are more tax payers.
The voice of moderation

rfields5421

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:24 pm

As an independent I like him because he is a moderate candidate in a land of right and left wingers.

For that I agree. IMHO the biggest problem this country has today is extremists on both sides have locked the Congress and public debate to the point that nothing gets done.

Somehow it has become acceptable to work to destroy this country rather than accept compromise.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 29):
I think he is more reasonable and not so "right" than he is putting himself to be. What frightfulness me is the lengths that he will bend, twist and pander to extreme right groups.

George W. Bush was also not so "right". But I think Romney will do better. George did a horrible job of picking a lot of Reagan leftovers to run his government and set his policy. I think Romney is a lot smarter than Bush. Heck, my 14 year old grandson is smarter than Bush.

I hope Romney picks good people.But even if he is elected, he will have to fight against the radical right in Congress who want to bring this country to a standstill.

Has Romney ever done anything that temps or has a vice on him like so many of us.

I'm sure he has - just not to such a level of excess as some others - including me.

But things like alcohol and tobacco are against the basic concepts of his faith. Unlike a lot of people, including myself and most other folks on this forum, he appears to genuinely agree with the principles of his faith, and tries to live by those principles.

He seems too perfect as the simple fact that that's not possible he looks fake.

To be honest, I've known a lot of people over the years who've done that with their lives. It isn't as hard as us 'normal' folks might think. Now most of them tend to be stuckup prigs - but some are not.

oldeuropean

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:47 pm

He is not like Oba...

... OH, SHIT ... I'M OUT!
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

DocLightning

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 39):
Not if their father does not want to be related to gays.

Are you saying I need to lead one of his hot sons into a gay sex scandal?

Quoting cmhsrq (Reply 44):
Doc, look at the total tax burden, not just federal taxes. Almost 40% of my income I earned last year went to taxes.

Then you must have a really crappy tax guy. Want a recommendation? PM me off-board. I didn't pay nearly that much and I'm in the bracket with the highest taxes (which is, oddly not the highest tax bracket. Thanks, GOP!   )
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

comorin

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Oops! I landed in the wrong thread! I thought I had clicked on the 'Most Ugly Animal?' thread. Carry on, don't mind me...

einsteinboricua

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Interesting...49 replies (including this one) and so far only two acceptable replies have been typed in:

He's moderate because he's trying to appeal to both sides. Hence, his constant flip-flopping. If he wins, however, it remains to be seen how moderate he'll remain.

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 40):
Personally I cannot stand Romney I actually like Obama as a person but do not like his views and appointments and Romney even though he is a flip flopper he will most likely get my vote since I hate Eric Holder.

And this is a prime example of how I think these elections will go: it's not a vote FOR Romney, it's vote AGAINST You-Know-Who. You don't even like Romney, yet you'll vote for him because you detest the appointments of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named-In-This-Thread? What makes you so sure Romney will make better appointments?