seansasLCY
Topic Author

Explosion At Burgas Airport - Bulgaria

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:25 pm

According to several reports on Twitter a bus has exploded at Burgas Airport in Bulgaria. It was carrying Israelis.

Does anybody know any more?

wolbo

RE: Explosion At Burgas Airport - Bulgaria

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:30 pm

According to Twitter this is confirned by the mayor of Burgas.

Sounds bad.  

OA260

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Sky News reporting it and other sources are saying there are casualties. I guess we will get more soon .

motif1

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Not much is known yet. The hospitals confirm casualties with an unofficial number of 3 at this point.
An hour before the explosion the Bulgarian president took of from the airport.

One news story says that the bus caught fire and then exploded so it is not neccessary a terrorist act.

I'll try to keep you posted on the developments.

M1
Not only is this incomprehensible but the ink is ugly and the paper is from the wrong kind of tree

Clydenairways

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:50 pm

According to Wikipedia. ELAL were due to commence a service to Burgas starting 3rd Aug.
Other operators listed as currently flying into Burgas from Israel are Bulgarian Air Charter and Bulgaria air.

[Edited 2012-07-18 08:52:18]

BasilFawlty

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 5):
According to Wikipedia. ELAL were due to commence a service to Burgas starting 3rd Aug.

Not true. Maybe some Sun D'Or charters, but no scheduled El Al flights.

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 5):
Other operators listed as currently flying into Burgas from Israel are Bulgarian Air Charter and Bulgaria air.

Air VIA, Balkan Holidays, Bulgaria Air and Bulgarian Air Charter are all operating flights to and from Tel Aviv during the summer season from both Burgas and Varna.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

motif1

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:07 pm

It looks like the tourists arrived with Air Via.
According to one article an A320 landed at 4:50PM from Tel Aviv.

The news update that I just read says that the fire affected four more busses.
At this point the radio reports that there are 29 injured but the number of injured as well as the number of fatalities is expected to rise.

According to the Israelis (in Israel) it is a terrorist act. The Bulgarian media does not seem to have an opinion on the origin of the fire/explosion yet.
Not only is this incomprehensible but the ink is ugly and the paper is from the wrong kind of tree

avi

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Latest update:
At the moment 7 reported killed (some maybe local) and all flights from Israel to Bulgaria were suspended.

An attack exactly like this one was prevented last week in Limassol airport in Cyprus.

[Edited 2012-07-18 09:41:21]

[Edited 2012-07-18 09:43:43]
Long live the B747

Clydenairways

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:46 pm

From the image on this website it looks like the smoke is from the public landside area (Bus Park ?) and not the secure airside area.
http://news.sky.com/story/961928/at-...ree-dead-in-bulgaria-bus-explosion

JU068

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Quoting avi (Reply 11):
An attack exactly like this one was prevented last week in Limassol airport in Cyprus.

1. There is no airport in Limassol, there is a port. Cypriot airports are located in Larnaca and Paphos.

2. Has it been confirmed as an attack or are those your speculations?

wolbo

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:02 pm

That didn't take long...

Quote:
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu: "Iran is responsible for the terror attack in Bulgaria, we will have a strong response against Iranian terror."

plateman

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:24 pm

More updates via Twitter:

Article w image: http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=141406

Breaking: PM Netanyahu blames Iran for the terror attack against Israeli tourists in Bulgaria and says "Israel will retaliate fiercely" -Haaretz newspaper

[Edited 2012-07-18 10:28:07]
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

avi

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 9):
1. There is no airport in Limassol, there is a port. Cypriot airports are located in Larnaca and Paphos.

Cyprus authority arrested a Lebanese person in Limassol last week and he admitted (according to Cyprus sources) that he planned an attack against Israelis exactly like that (putting a bomb in a packed bus with Israelis at the airport at a non-secure area). A search in his apartment (or hotel room) supported the allegations against him (he was caught before he tried to execute it). No wild speculations here.

In the past few years we prevented many attacks against Israelis all over the world, mainly in East Europe, Asia and Africa.
In all of them it was Iran / Hezbollah behind it. I don't understand why you are so surprised they are the immediate suspects.

[Edited 2012-07-18 10:53:20]
Long live the B747

JU068

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Quoting avi (Reply 13):
Cyprus authority arrested a Lebanese person in Limassol last week and he admitted (according to Cyprus sources) that he planned an attack against Israelis exactly like that (putting a bomb in a packed bus with Israelis at the airport at a non-secure area). A search in his apartment (or hotel room) supported the allegations against him (he was caught before he tried to execute it). No wild speculations here.

My point was that there is no airport in Limassol, I did not question what he did or what he wanted to do.

Quoting avi (Reply 13):
In all of them it was Iran / Hezbollah behind it. I don't understand why you are so surprised they are the immediate suspects.

I am not not surprised at all. I think the world got used to Israel and their usual accusations. However, I would first want to see what caused this before blaming it on Iran.

jfk69

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Sad, another place Israelis can't feel safe.

rvA340

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 14):
I am not not surprised at all. I think the world got used to Israel and their usual accusations.
Quoting ju068 (Reply 9):
Has it been confirmed as an attack or are those your speculations?

Believe me, if a bus full of israeli citizens explodes is definetely not a coincidence...doesn´t matter if Iran is behind it, al qaeda, hamas, hizbollah, a common person or a "mysterious fire"...those people where a target, just like they where months ago in Azerbaijan, Tbilisi, Bangkok, New Delhi and cyprus.

greetings!

PHX787

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 pm

It's been all over the news here. Purportedly against Israeli tourists, and the Israeli PM is blaming Iran. I wish there would be evidence brought forth about that, though.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

avi

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 14):
I did not question what he did or what he wanted to do.
Quoting ju068 (Reply 9):

You didn't?
Long live the B747

rvA340

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 18):
It's been all over the news here. Purportedly against Israeli tourists, and the Israeli PM is blaming Iran. I wish there would be evidence brought forth about that, though.

I wonder whats the difference if it was Iran, Hizbolah or Mickey Mouse.. innocent teenagers were targeted and killed today just beacuse someone wanted to... Also today is the aniversary of one of the worst terrorist attacks to argentianian jews in buenos aires by iranians in the 90´s... probably thats a reason why some are linkin Iran today.

greetings

PHX787

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Quoting rvA340 (Reply 20):
I wonder whats the difference if it was Iran, Hizbolah or Mickey Mouse.. innocent teenagers were targeted and killed today just beacuse someone wanted to... Also today is the aniversary of one of the worst terrorist attacks to argentianian jews in buenos aires by iranians in the 90´s... probably thats a reason why some are linkin Iran today.

That does make sense. In my honest opinion, if Israel really wanted to do something about this, why not just completely retaliate by doing something similar?

Not to stray this off-topic (maybe mods move this to non-av?)
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

ME AVN FAN

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Quoting avi (Reply 7):
in Limassol airport in Cyprus

----

Quoting avi (Reply 13):
No wild speculations here.

--
He did not speculate about the story, but simply stated that there is no airport in Limassol
No speculation but simple realitiy is that Limassol is served by Larnaca Airport

Quoting jfk69 (Reply 15):
Sad, another place Israelis can't feel safe

-
While it is undeniable that Israelis are more threatened than others, by your
criteria, there is no place on earth where you can feel safe. Such things
can happen everywhere, and terrorists on intent chose places where they
are not expected

Quoting avi (Reply 13):

A bet you most likely will win. But nevertheless a bit too early. It may have been a local "franchisee" of el-Qaeda

JU068

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Quoting avi (Reply 19):
You didn't?

No, I did not. I was pointing out that there is no airport in Limassol since it was wrongly stated in your post.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 22):
He did not speculate about the story, but simply stated that there is no airport in Limassol

Thank you for pointing that out.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 22):
No speculation but simple realitiy is that Limassol is served by Larnaca Airport

Well, Limassol is located halfway between Larnaca and Paphos airport so they could have travelled from either one.

[Edited 2012-07-18 13:03:39 by srbmod]

TheSorcerer

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Interesting that Netanyahu has come out immediately to accuse Iran, while the Israeli Foreign Ministry has released this statement: "We don't know if it was a terror attack. We do know it was an explosion."

[Edited 2012-07-18 13:22:56 by srbmod]
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

kl911

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 23):
It's quite likely that Iran are somehow involved in this, in one way or another, although throwing accusations around five hours after the attack does seem like a knee jerk reaction

Not if secret agencies around the world have already a lead and evidence, being it a moneytrail, intercepted email etc.. Maybe they were just a few minutes too late.

[Edited 2012-07-18 13:23:11 by srbmod]

AirPacific747

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:47 pm

Flying to Burgas soon.. Will be 'interesting' how it affects us.. Probably not at all.

azstar

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 pm

What's lost in all these posts is that these were young teenagers on holiday just trying to have a good time, like people everywhere. The tragedy is that such innocent people are frequently targets of the monsters who perpetrate these crimes!

Ps76

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:59 am

Hi!

I don't really have anything political to say but to offer my condolances. It is sad when young people and children die no matter from what country or religion.

Many thanks.

Pierre

Quokkas

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:25 am

This is indeed sad: innocent lives lost. This can not be justified by any means. Such cowardly actions deserve nothing but condemnation.

But if Iran is behind it, what do they expect to gain? Whatever the rights and wrongs in the Israel/ Palestine debate, instilling fear into Israelis and discouraging them from allowing their children to travel will not gain Iran any support. It will not accelerate the "regime change" that they desire in Jerusalem. It simply isolates Iran further. It doesn't even strengthen support within Iran. Many, even most, Iranians would be horrified to think that children were being deliberately targeted.

If it wasn't Iran, who else? Who would likely benefit, or appear to benefit, from such an outrageous act?
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

aerorobnz

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:16 am

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 27):
If it wasn't Iran, who else? Who would likely benefit, or appear to benefit, from such an outrageous act?

Netanyahu and the Israeli Government? It does give them a justification for retaliation against Iran that they didn't previously have.. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but stranger things have happened.

It is horrible and abhorrent and disgraceful whoever is to blame.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 20):
While it is undeniable that Israelis are more threatened than others, by your
criteria, there is no place on earth where you can feel safe. Such things
can happen everywhere, and terrorists on intent chose places where they
are not expected

Too right, the world is full of assholes trying to cheat, lie, harm and kill you for their own means. It is also full of amazingly cool people everywhere that make travelling all worthwhile. You can only pay attention to your surroundings and hope the odds stay in your favour, whether you're in Damascus, Alice Springs or Boracay...
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Ps76

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:45 am

Hi!

Quoting jfk69 (Reply 14):
Sad, another place Israelis can't feel safe.

Yes if I was a bunch of Israelis travelling round in a group I would feel quite unsafe and try to keep my head down as much as possible. I would also probably lie about where I'm from if someone asked me! I have friends of many nationalities and am always suprised at how often I hear bad comments about Israel (and arabs). Of course they like jews but not Israelis! My tip would be if you're Israeli in Europe say you're Korean!

Anyway sorry to be making a joke in this thread.

Pierre

TheCommodore

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:52 am

But if Iran is behind it, what do they expect to gain?

It may be in retaliation for the Mosad assassinations of Darioush Rezaeinejad, Majid Shahriari, Mostafa Ahmadi-Roshan, and Masoud Alimohammadi, all were Iranian nuclear scientists.

If Iran is responsible, which at present is not confirmed (could also be Hezbollah) I doubt we will ever no the real reason, it may be in retaliation for one of the assignations or all of them ?

Regardless of who is to blame though, and we may never find out the truth. Unfortunately it gives Israel some sort of legitimacy into stirring up efforts to attack Iran.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 28):
Netanyahu and the Israeli Government? It does give them a justification for retaliation against Iran that they didn't previously have.. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but stranger things have happened.

[Edited 2012-07-18 23:53:53]

[Edited 2012-07-18 23:55:57]
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

MD11Engineer

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:56 am

But if Iran is behind it, what do they expect to gain? Whatever the rights and wrongs in the Israel/ Palestine debate, instilling fear into Israelis and discouraging them from allowing their children to travel will not gain Iran any support. It will not accelerate the "regime change" that they desire in Jerusalem. It simply isolates Iran further. It doesn't even strengthen support within Iran. Many, even most, Iranians would be horrified to think that children were being deliberately targeted.

One possibility I see is to start a war between Israel and some neighbouring Arab country to detract of the current revolution in Syria. The current Syrian government belongs for most part to the rather secular Alevite branch of Shi´ite Islam and is being sponsored by Iran, just as the Shi´ite Hezbollah militia in Lebanon is (the "Shi´ite crescent"). The revolutionaries in Syria are for most part Sunnis sponsored by Saudi Arabia (unfortunately I´ve read that quite a few of them are strict Islamists). If the rebels win in Syria, Iran would lose a lot of influence in the area and would not be able anymore to directly supply Hezbollah in their proxy war with Israel. Also Hezbollah, without Iranian weapons and support, would lose it´s dominant position in Lebanese politics (I´ve heard that many Lebanese Shi´ites rather support the more secular Amal party). Not to forget those Syrians who financially profited from the Assad dictatorship (often Mafia-like gangs living of smuggling and who were from what I´ve heard, responsible for the latest massacres in Syria).
An Israeli retaliation would detract from this conflict and (for Iran) hopefully unite the Syrians and give the Assad government some breathing space. After all fighting has now started in the outskirts of Damaskus, so it is getting tight for the government.

Israel´s best tactic so far has been to sit still on the sidelines.
On the other hand it also could have been an attempt by Al Qaeda to regain territory, which they lost over the last few years.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

TheCommodore

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:02 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 31):
Israel´s best tactic so far has been to sit still on the sidelines.

Sitting still and on the sidelines, may no longer be the case if you believe this article MD11Engineer, they might just be about to play ball !!

But according to the DT, Israel has already made up its mind.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...garia/story-e6freuz9-1226429557767
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

MadameConcorde

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Thread starter):
Does anybody know any more?

It's always awful to hear about suicide bombings, be it on airplanes, busses or any other transport, or the streets even.

RIP victims.

Now... how can they say the suicide bomber was an iranian or what else?

Looking at the video the suspect does not look at all like your typical iranian, more like a hippie with a backpack. He reminds me more of the shoe bomber who tried to blow the flight out of Paris CDG travelling on a one-way ticket.

http://www.usatoday.com/video/caught...t-on-security-camera/1742469771001

Israel PM Netanyahu better not accuse anyone specific until he can bring 100% proof of his accusations

ul 19, 2012
Video shows suspected bomber at Bulgarian airport

Bulgarian authorities have released a video from Burgas airport of the suspect in the bombing of a tourist bus that killed 7 people, including 5 Israeli tourists, on Wednesday at the Black Sea resort.

The long-haired tourist, shown in the video with a backpack, was carrying what authorities said was a fake Michigan driver's license, according to authorities.

A horrible action by all means

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/s...Bulgaria-suicide-attack/56326174/1

[Edited 2012-07-19 06:19:57]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:17 pm

They are now saying that the bomber was a Swedish national who had been held at Guantanamo bay.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/bulgari...-killed-israelis-as-mehdi-ghezali/

MadameConcorde

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:38 pm

I like looking at the source so I went looking for bulgarian newspapers on line and used an on line translator to find out what it says.

The information we get here in our countries seem to be very incomplete to say the least.

http://society.actualno.com/Veche-e-...ilyt-na-terorista-news_394147.html

translation - not quite accurate but quite understandable:

Already has clear DNA-profile terorista.

This reported to journalists in Burgas, Minister of Interior Tsvetan Tsvetanov.

"DNA-profile and fingerprints are uploaded into the international database, which is updated every two hours and with her work investigating," said Phillips.

It is not yet clear how terorist″t kamikaze came in our country and in the European Union. There are versions for countries that may be responsive to this from where he came, but Phillips did not want to tell who they are. Tojdop″lni that it would not comment on the information, which may prevent the investigation and do everything possible to establish where it has entered.

Everything that is collected by Visual examination as a proof will be sent to a laboratory in Sofia to be investigated. It is not yet clear what the explosive and unable to say whether it is from Bulgarian or not. Dancy said yet that has established the identity of all injuries and their number remains the same – seven.

Poet terorističniâ suicide has committed an act of Burgas airport
19 July 2012
Victims are eight, one of them is a Bulgarian-the driver of the bus

Poet is operated bomb in a bus with Israeli tourists, which broke out on Wednesday at an airport p.o. "in Bourgas. This reported the Prime Minister Boyko Borisov, after that night visited the scene of the attack and wounded in burgaskata hospital. Samoubiec is the leading version of the investigating, although earlier it was reported a bomb in the luggage compartment of the bus. The Prime Minister asked the public prosecutor to spread photograph of the offender, to establish its identity. It is believed that the accused assassin-suicide is a man with long hair, which was filmed by cameras in the area of touring car-accessible to all. Despite the explosion, in his clothes were found false documents of American resident of Michigan. The Prime Minister explained that the body of the perpetrator has been most ravaged by all victims and have yet to be identified its identity. Pr″stovite fingerprints do not appear in the database of the FBI. According to Borisov accused Assassin is not present, and in the records of "border police", since it is entered with false documents.

http://www.factor-news.net/index_.php?cm=2&ct=1&id=27748

Wow!

Maybe some of our Russian speaking members can provide us with better translations.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Mudboy

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:48 pm

War is one thing and should always be the last result and having served in Iraq in Afghan, it has changed the way I think, But there will never be a justifiable reason for targeting innocent civilians on vacation or going about their daily lives, I don't care what cause you think you serve, it is shameful and there is no honor in it. Yes, I love my country, and would die for my country, but there is nothing in this world, including my belief in God, that would make me do something like this to other human beings. I was in Stockholm, around the corner, when that idiot blew himself up prematurely back in Dec 2010 and I am grateful that he was the only one killed. God bless them or if you don't believe in God, well wishes to the survivors and their families. This is so sad!
Stay Safe!

RussianJet

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 36):
War is one thing and should always be the last result and having served in Iraq in Afghan, it has changed the way I think, But there will never be a justifiable reason for targeting innocent civilians on vacation or going about their daily lives, I don't care what cause you think you serve, it is shameful and there is no honor in it. Yes, I love my country, and would die for my country, but there is nothing in this world, including my belief in God, that would make me do something like this to other human beings. I was in Stockholm, around the corner, when that idiot blew himself up prematurely back in Dec 2010 and I am grateful that he was the only one killed. God bless them or if you don't believe in God, well wishes to the survivors and their families. This is so sad!
Stay Safe!

Very well said, that man.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:07 pm

I was supposed to do a flight to Burgas today, but the flight got cancelled.. I presume due to that terrorist attack. The airport was closed for a few hours at some point.

RIP to the victims.