canoecarrier
Topic Author

Chocolate Eggs Illegal To Bring Across US Border

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 pm

Apparently true.

http://mynorthwest.com/76/708590/Ame...d-at-the-border-with-illegal-candy

Fair use:

Four friends crossing the border from Canada to Washington spent over an hour in a detention center and were nearly saddled with a $15,000 fine after U.S. border agents discovered chocolate eggs in their car. ....

Kinder Eggs are a hollow chocolate egg with a toy inside. One of Cummings' travel companions had picked up the candy as a gift to bring back."

Best part is after detaining the men and threatening them with a $15,000 fine the border agents forgot to confiscate the eggs so they were "smuggled" into the US anyway.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

PHX787

RE: Chocolate Eggs Illegal To Bring Across US Border

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Oh boy, the celebrities bemoaning chocolate as their reason for weight issues is getting outta hand, no?   
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

BMI727

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 1):
Oh boy, the celebrities bemoaning chocolate as their reason for weight issues is getting outta hand, no?

It's actually a US rule that prohibits inedible items inside of food.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

canoecarrier
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):

It's not a well publicized rule though. I'd never heard of it before and I cross the border 5-6 times a year.

BMI727

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 3):
It's not a well publicized rule though. I'd never heard of it before and I cross the border 5-6 times a year.

I never thought it applied to stuff you brought yourself. I knew that you couldn't sell food like that, but I never figured you could get in trouble for bringing it in to eat yourself.

NASCARAirforce

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Well on international flights you are not supposed to bring food into the U.S. unless specially cleared through Customs. At my airport a business jet flew in from another country with $8000 worth of food on it that had to be thrown away.

canoecarrier
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:08 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 4):
I never thought it applied to stuff you brought yourself. I knew that you couldn't sell food like that, but I never figured you could get in trouble for bringing it in to eat yourself.

$2,500/egg is pretty steep.

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 5):
Well on international flights you are not supposed to bring food into the U.S. unless specially cleared through Customs. At my airport a business jet flew in from another country with $8000 worth of food on it that had to be thrown away.

I've never had any problems with most processed foods. I used to go to the Save On Foods across the border in BC all the time and bring back dried bulk foods. You can't bring sandwiches or fruit across the border though, which is typically what you get in catering.

TheCommodore

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:10 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Thread starter):
Apparently true.

What an ass of a rule.

Surely US regulators have better things to do, than make inane rules like this, obviously too much time and nothing better to do.

Kinder surprise eggs are consumed all over the world, in fact, the US is the only country to exclude them.  Wow!

Ive yet to hear of anyone chocking on them. They are very popular in Australia, in fact many thousands collect the different sets and trade them on the net, its got a real following.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html?...992%202000%20&_itemId=190540903724

BTW, whats this business about calling chocolate, candy.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/candy

If chocolate is called candy, then what do you call such sweets as "atomic fireballs", shouldn't they really be referred to as candy, as the main makeup is just sugar, water and colourings. And chocolate as chocolate ?
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

lewis

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:32 am

Well on international flights you are not supposed to bring food into the U.S.

I have never had problems bringing food items to the US. I just declare them and they don't even bother checking them, even when it is unsealed like a box of desserts.

falstaff

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 am

I have never heard of it either. They sell a lot of candy at the duty free stores at the Canadian border (not the candy in question) but people see all that candy and reasonably assume it was ok to bring candy of any kind into the USA.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 6):
$2,500/egg is pretty steep.

You would think they would just make you throw them out...

What about fortune cookies? They have paper inside, but I guess you could eat that if you wanted.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

BMI727

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:56 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 9):
What about fortune cookies? They have paper inside, but I guess you could eat that if you wanted.

I think the rationale is that you can't choke on paper. I'm not sure how it's worded exactly.

TheCommodore

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:58 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 10):
I think the rationale is that you can't choke on paper. I'm not sure how it's worded exactly.

Then that rational is just plain wrong, because, you can chock on anything you put into your mouth, even a piece of chewing gum.   
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

fr8mech

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:23 am

It's not a well publicized rule though.

It seems I hear about this every year around Easter.

Well on international flights you are not supposed to bring food into the U.S. unless specially cleared through Customs.

Raw, unprocessed food. Cooked or packaged food does not usually present a problem.

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 7):
What an ass of a rule.

Yes, it is an ass of a rule.

Surely US regulators have better things to do, than make inane rules like this, obviously too much time and nothing better to do.

Nope. That's the problem with regulators...if they're not making regulations, they don't think they're doing their job. It's a freaking government-wide problem. But, let's not get too political.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Okie

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:24 am

Then that rational is just plain wrong, because, you can chock on anything you put into your mouth, even a piece of chewing gum

We get a lot of politicians choke with "foot in mount" from time to time.
Now there is a thought, send them all to Canada on vacation, they will not be able to come back.

Kinder surprise eggs are consumed all over the world, in fact, the US is the only country to exclude them

Can we say nanny state.

Okie

BlueLine

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:58 am

They must have caught a customs agent having a very bad day/on a huge power trip. I've had family bring them back from Europe with no problem, and have even seen them for sale in a few Polish and European markets here in Chicago. Nonetheless, it's completely idiotic that Kinder Eggs can't be imported to the US for sale.

Aesma

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 am

What about trinkets in King cakes ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

falstaff

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 15):
What about trinkets in King cakes ?

I didn't think about that... I guess that King Cake my mom bakes every year is a violation of federal law (now I like it even more). Maybe because she makes it herself and it isn't offered for sale mom is in the clear.

Quoting okie (Reply 13):
Now there is a thought, send them all to Canada on vacation, they will not be able to come back.

I don't think Canada would want them.  

fr8mech

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 16):
I guess that King Cake my mom bakes every year is a violation of federal law (now I like it even more). Maybe because she makes it herself and it isn't offered for sale mom is in the clear.

I doubt a King Cake is considered a confection by the FDA.

canoecarrier
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:19 pm

The Vancouver Sun had an article on it today:

"Mike Milne with U.S. Customs and Border Protection said the movement of Kinder eggs into the United States has been "an ongoing problem for years," particularly during the Easter holidays.

Milne said officers do not usually fine travellers for carrying the chocolates, but they do normally confiscate them. Roughly 60,000 Kinder eggs were seized last year."

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Kin...r/6956919/story.html#ixzz21679oeOW

They confiscated 60K of these last year?! I fail to see how this is any different than the toys you get in a crackerjack box

MD11Engineer

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:33 pm

It is not that you could accidentaly swallow the toys while biting into the chocolate. The toys are inside a yellow plastic "egg" with an diametre of about 1 inch and 1.5 inches high, which is then inside the chocolate egg.
Also, at least on the German version, there is a warning "Not for children below the age of 3".

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

falstaff

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 18):
They confiscated 60K of these last year?!

Wow they get that many? Is that just at that border crossing or all of them, including airports? If 60,000 get in how many get through? I have driven across the Canadian border several times a year for the last 12 years and never have been searched. The only time I ever was even stopped was when I bought a car in Canada, but they only wanted to see the car's paperwork. I could have had a trunk full of these eggs and nobody would have known. I never even had a customs agent ask me about food before. They ask about alcohol (I show them the receipt and they never have asked to see the actual stuff), cigarettes and drugs. They sometimes ask if I'm drunk (I never cross the border after drinking, unless I'm not the driver).

All this fuss over chocolate eggs make we want to go over to Canada and get some. Where can I find them in the Windsor area?

9MMPQ

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 pm

It's one of the funniest US laws i've ever heard of and it's been a hit with some of my American friends who never heard about it until i brought it up. God help you if you try & smuggle these into the US 

But this story comes up once every year or so & a quick search led me back to the most hilarious thing i've ever read about it. From an article from last year ..

''The woman was selected for a random search at a border checkpoint in Minnesota when officials discovered she was carrying a Kinder Egg and took it from her, The Toronto Star reported. A few weeks later, she received a 7-page letter asking if she wanted the egg back or if she was going to abandon rights to it, the Star reported.

"I was in disbelief," she told the newspaper. "It's a $2 egg."

The link .. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/21...-eggs-banned-in-the-united-states/

Whatever makes your world safer .. i don't care much for the toys but all the more chocolate there is for the rest of us 
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

flyingturtle

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 am

I love these eggs. We got them from our grandma all the time when since we were 5 years old. And we were smart enough not to eat the plastic stuff. 

[Edited 2012-07-19 17:42:18]
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

DocLightning

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:12 am

Quoting BlueLine (Reply 14):

They must have caught a customs agent having a very bad day/on a huge power trip. I've had family bring them back from Europe with no problem, and have even seen them for sale in a few Polish and European markets here in Chicago. Nonetheless, it's completely idiotic that Kinder Eggs can't be imported to the US for sale.

I'm far more outraged at the one-hour detention. There needs to be some more public backlash in this country against people wearing uniforms with the force of the law behind them on power trips.

In Spain, they carefully screen each and every candidate for the Guardia Civil to try to exclude the bullies and power-addicts. That should be standard procedure in any democracy.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

canoecarrier
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:15 am

I'm perfectly willing for the sake of A-net to try and bring a few of these home with me the next time I go to Victoria or Vancouver. I can't say I've ever been stopped at the border for a full search (except one time when I canoed across the Minnesota Ontario border), but perhaps the US has now trained dogs to sniff out these dangerous eggs so they never enter our country.

lewis

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:19 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 22):
And we were smart enough not to eat the plastic stuff

So, now that we figured out why these are not sold in the US, can someone tell me why I haven't managed to find a single Mars bar in the US for the past two years? Is it also illegal to sell those?

dcaviation

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:34 am

Those eggs are sold in Polish grocery stores in Philadelphia and everywhere in New Jersey. Whenever I have the chance to go to one of those stores I buy few just for the heck of it.
Now I know that they are illegal in US I will bring a lot next time I'm in Europe.

Okie

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:35 am

Quoting lewis (Reply 25):

So, now that we figured out why these are not sold in the US, can someone tell me why I haven't managed to find a single Mars bar in the US for the past two years? Is it also illegal to sell those?

European "Mars Bars" are marketed in the US as Milky Way, about the only source I have found was Target. Okie prefers the Dark Chocolate ones.
If you are speaking of the US "Mars Bar" ie Nougat, Almonds, covered in milk chocolate I have not seen any in quite some time. The last time I did find one they had reduced themselves to putting almond pieces on top instead of whole almonds. Just guessing that the price of almonds made the item unprofitable.

Okie

lewis

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:38 am

Quoting okie (Reply 27):
European "Mars Bars" are marketed in the US as Milky Way, about the only source I have found was Target. Okie prefers the Dark Chocolate ones.

Yep, that is it, thanks! I have seen the Milky Way in Target but I thought it was the European Milky Way, which is different from the European Mars Bar. Damn those marketing departments and their confusing market-specific branding!!

sprout5199

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:23 am

What an ass of a rule.
Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 11):
Then that rational is just plain wrong, because, you can chock on anything you put into your mouth, even a piece of chewing gum
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 12):
Yes, it is an ass of a rule.
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 12):
Nope. That's the problem with regulators...if they're not making regulations, they don't think they're doing their job. It's a freaking government-wide problem. But, let's not get too political.
Quoting okie (Reply 13):
Can we say nanny state.
Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 22):
I love these eggs. We got them from our grandma all the time when we were 5 years old. And we were smart enough not to eat the plastic stuff. 

Get a grip people. There is a reason why there is this law. If I didn't know the was a toy inside the egg and my 2 year old daughter choked on it, do you think I would be pissed? YES.
That being said, one of the "repercussions" of having a legal system like we do is what I and others call frivolous lawsuits. Why is there a warning on hair-dryers not to use them in the bathtub? Why did the pull-tab(I remember them) go away? Because some stupid person was electrocuted or choked on the pull-tab after dropping it into their beer. When you have 250 million people you must make the laws for the lowest common denominator. And if you think about it, that's the way it should be. I would much rather just shake my head when I see the warning label on a hair-dryer then worry if something that I use or eat will kill me because I didn't know anything about it.

START RANT.
And it is our law, you break it GO TO JAIL. Same with Canada's laws(I think radar detectors are illegal up there---WHAT CALL MY CONGRESSMAN, oh wait I'm in Canada, my bad), or S.A. or UAE and so forth. That being said, we see one side of the story, I bet the those guys were asses about it. I tried to go through the TSA check point at Tri-cities airport with "oh my god" a 8 oz tube of toothpaste in my carry-on. The agent said that it wasn't allowed, I said "but I went through Orlando's check point". She said but it's against the rules, so did I pitch a fit (like most A-netters here would have), NO. I told her to throw it away. She even asked me if I wanted to mail it home. They are doing their jobs, and probably hate that they have to enforce stupid rules, get bitched at by a$$holes that think the agents are picking on them, deal with people trying to "get away with something", any actually do a necessary job that pisses everyone off. But that's their jobs. God people are such whiny little bitches.
END RANT

Waiting to get    now.  

Dan in Jupiter

Aesma

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:25 am

Quoting 9MMPQ (Reply 21):
A few weeks later, she received a 7-page letter asking if she wanted the egg back or if she was going to abandon rights to it

Incredible !   

Quoting okie (Reply 27):
If you are speaking of the US "Mars Bar" ie Nougat, Almonds, covered in milk chocolate I have not seen any in quite some time

That's interesting. They were sold as special Almond Mars Bars here a few years ago, and I loved them, but they disappeared too.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 16):
I didn't think about that... I guess that King Cake my mom bakes every year is a violation of federal law (now I like it even more). Maybe because she makes it herself and it isn't offered for sale mom is in the clear.
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 17):
I doubt a King Cake is considered a confection by the FDA.

I'm sure biting on porcelain trinkets has caused far more damage than Kinder eggs have.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

fr8mech

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:45 am

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 29):
There is a reason why there is this law.

We know there is a reason for the law. No one is disputing that. It's still an ass of a law. It smacks of the nanny state. It, once again, absolves the parent of personal responsibility and relies on the government to protect our children.

End of my rant.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 30):
I'm sure biting on porcelain trinkets has caused far more damage than Kinder eggs have

Yes, but there is a higher probability of Sprout5199's 2 year-old biting into a confectionery product with a non-nutritive object imbedded in it , i.e. the Kinder Surprise Egg, than into a random King Cake.

Quoting 9MMPQ (Reply 21):
A few weeks later, she received a 7-page letter asking if she wanted the egg back or if she was going to abandon rights to it, the Star reported.

The US government hard at work spending tax dollars doing stupid things.

And there are people that insist on granting the US government even more powers.   

[Edited 2012-07-19 18:47:20]

[Edited 2012-07-19 18:48:07]

flyingturtle

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:55 am

If I didn't know the was a toy inside the egg and my 2 year old daughter choked on it, do you think I would be pissed? YES.

But you know that there's a toy inside of that egg, so you would supervise your 2 year old daughter while she eats the stuff. And 2 year olds should not eat chocolate often anyway, so you are able to supervise her every time she gets such an egg.

The same happened in my family. We got these eggs when we visited relatives, and adults were always around when we ate them. And lastly, there are thousands of other things which could cause chokings and deaths among 2 years old children. There's a thing called fate...

There ought to be a warning on the packaging, but no prohibition.
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

1337Delta764

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 am

In 1997, Nestle released the Magic Ball in the U.S., which had a plastic ball that pops inside chocolate (which itself had a figurine inside), but due to the choking hazards, the product was recalled. Later, in 2000, Nestle released the Wonder Ball, which had candy pieces and a sticker inside. While a sticker is somewhat less dangerous than a plastic ball and figurine, I wonder if any company can legally revive the Wonder Ball.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

Aeri28

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:07 am

A candy source with a piece of inedible material located inside? Never heard of something like that,, although sounds like something out of the 70s, Like those glass klacker balls on a string or that slimy gooky toy where you poured this liquid into these metal plates and a plastic wiggly monster was baked. I dunno. Sounds like a mini disaster waiting to happen IMO.

AirCanada787

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:28 am

A similar story seems to pop up about them being illegal in the USA every once in a while.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 32):
If I didn't know the was a toy inside the egg and my 2 year old daughter choked on it, do you think I would be pissed? YES.

But you know that there's a toy inside of that egg, so you would supervise your 2 year old daughter while she eats the stuff. And 2 year olds should not eat chocolate often anyway, so you are able to supervise her every time she gets such an egg.

Yes you would be pissed but, I do feel however that its quite clear that there is a toy inside. Its the whole point of the egg is that there is a toy inside and its very clear in the marketing if it.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 19):
Also, at least on the German version, there is a warning "Not for children below the age of 3".

There is a similar warning on the ones sold in Canada.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 20):
Where can I find them in the Windsor area?

They should be pretty easy to find, many grocery stores have them such as Loblaws, Shoppers Drug Mart also has them around here. At Christmas and Easter you can also get jumbo sized ones.

Same with Canada's laws(I think radar detectors are illegal up there

In most of Canada yes, except for in British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan, everywhere else it is illegal to possess one even if it isn't operational.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

StarAC17

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:58 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Thread starter):
Apparently true.

What an ass of a rule.

That says a lot considering your country has some of the strictest quarantine laws and for good reason. You can't bring some food items between states in Australia but this would be no issue down under.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 9):

Fortune cookies aren't imported they are easily produced locally by the restaurant that gives them out or a distributor.

You declare it and if it is deemed suspicious you can have in confiscated. If you don't declare you pay a punishment for not doing so and I think on occasion some customs inspectors have the right to stick it to people that don't follow the rules.
Or this jet failed to declare and also had $8000 of prohibited food.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

TheCommodore

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:26 am

There is a reason why there is this law.

Yes, your right, its for silly people.

I would much rather just shake my head when I see the warning label on a hair-dryer then worry if something that I use or eat will kill me because I didn't know anything about it.

There are warnings printed on the label. But if you can read, then you god help !

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 36):
That says a lot considering your country has some of the strictest quarantine laws and for good reason.

It says nothing.

We are not talking about quarantine procedures, as they generally evolve fresh, unprocessed produce, not chocolate that contains a plastic toy.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 36):
Fortune cookies aren't imported they are easily produced locally by the restaurant that gives them out or a distributor.

We are not talking about imported stuff, or where they are produced.
Even if the Kinder eggs were made in the Canada, they would still be banned in the US because of the so called perceived safety issue and children chocking.

PanHAM

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:38 am

One of the idiotic laws the US have produced. A LH FA was recently arrested because a Kinder egg was found in her luggage. The point is, most people do not know this, no one thinks that an item like that is prohibited and can cause detention at a border. After all, it's not narcotics.

My wife usually packs some chocolate into my suitcase when i travel, nice surprise when I unpack at the destination. I never got caught in the US but I told her not to pack anything when I travel to God's own country.

Another idiot law is the prohibition to bring chcolate filled with liqueur, such as Cognac Beans. An importer actiually needs a liquor licence and for distribution across the country he'd need one for every state and South Carolina certainly won't issue one, other states as well.

Now, no one can get drunk on Cognac beans and an innocent traveller does not know that the gift he bought (probably at a duty free store) is "contraband".