zrs70

Why Don't People Take The Stairs?

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:57 pm

It astounds me how many people wait around for elevators when they are only going 1-2 flights. I get it if the person isn't able-bodied. But most of the time I see people who are fine.

Escalators are a but different. But I always take the Starks adjacent to the escalator. It's especially nice after a long flight to stretch my legs (if my carry on allows it).

I seem to make eye contact with other stair climbers. It's like a club - those wanting to be in better mind and spirit.

Imagine if more people used the stairs.... The calories burned adds up!
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

lewis

RE: Why Don't People Take The Stairs?

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:18 pm

I always try to take the stairs for a couple of flights. My office is also located on a short hill, there is a train going up and down (Angels Flight for those familiar with LA) as well as the side stairs. I always climb the stairs, its a nice complement to my morning work-out.

My observations:

-Perfectly fit people stopping the elevator at work in order to go one floor down - or up, doesn't matter. Taking any of the inter-office stairwells would probably take them half their time - and none of mine.

-People at my gym taking the elevator to go up to the reception level. You just worked out, will a flight of stairs really kill you? Not annoying, just weird.

PlymSpotter

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 pm

I find it a waste of energy too. I used to work with somebody who didn't like the idea of me enjoying flying because it 'wasn't green', but she was perfectly able bodied and always took the escalator to go just one or two floors... and she drove everywhere... and she hated it when I pointed this hypocrisy out as I rode past her car, stuck in traffic, on my bike.   

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

ArmitageShanks

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Thread starter):
I seem to make eye contact with other stair climbers. It's like a club - those wanting to be in better mind and spirit.

You've got to be kidding me. Better mind and spirit!

I don't take the stairs because I'm generally a lazy person.

Kent350787

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:42 pm

1-2 floors is quicker as long as the stairwell security arrangements in multi-tenanted buildings allow it. I used to climb the stairs to level 14 in our building, but don't now we've moved to L2 (a badly sprained ankle hasn't helped that). And I don't take the stairs down to ground as the fire escape heads to the basdement then around the perimeter of the building before having to climb back to ground level.....

Alias1024

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Because the escalator is free  
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7frzYFcbqjc

Some Swedish engineers decided to tackle exactly this problem on the Stockholm Metro. Here's what they did and how it worked. My favorite part is the man with the two doggies.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AlnessW

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 pm

It astounds me how many people wait around for elevators when they are only going 1-2 flights.

The elevator is right there - you might as well use it.

Escalators are a but different.

Not in my case. Like I said - it's right there, so you might as well use it.

What I don't like, however, is when people push and shove past you on an escalator like their butt is on fire.

It's especially nice after a long flight to stretch my legs

I'll get some good walking in during the walk from gate to restroom, restroom to exit lane, then exit lane to arrivals/baggage claim. One or two escalator rides aren't going to make that much of a difference.

Surely, you must be joking.

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:56 pm

I usually take stairs but sometimes I take escalators because it's fun (I'm easily amused I guess)
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

canoecarrier

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:59 pm

My favorite is when I go my gym here in the city, which is in a 3 story building. And someone gets in the elevator to go to the main 2nd floor to check in before they work out. I don't see the point.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Tugger

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Escalators are a but different. But I always take the Starks adjacent to the escalator. It's especially nice after a long flight to stretch my legs (if my carry on allows it).

If it is three or less floors I always take the stairs when I can.

One annoying thing is that quite often the stairs are difficult to find. Yes, often they are "right there" but I have many times had to go looking for them and they are back around a corner and down the hallway....

Escalators

Hey, escalators are stairs too! 

Here's a good "fail" for escalators:

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

lewis

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 10):
One annoying thing is that quite often the stairs are difficult to find.

Worse is when they do not exist. In my apartment building there is only the option of taking the elevator from the garage to the residential levels. There are stairs but they take you outside the building in the street level, they are only emergency exits. I get pissed off when I have to wait for the one elevator that serves so many people instead of climbing two flights of stairs.

GrahamHill

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 6):
Some Swedish engineers decided to tackle exactly this problem on the Stockholm Metro. Here's what they did and how it worked. My favorite part is the man with the two doggies.

That is awesome! It's incredible what you can get from people when you put fun in what you're asking.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

DocLightning

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:22 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 8):
I usually take stairs but sometimes I take escalators because it's fun (I'm easily amused I guess)

If I take an escalator, I usually climb it, rather than riding it. I only ride them if there's some reason (like I'm dragging a roll-on bag).

One reason I don't take escalators is because they're too darned slow!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

smittyone

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:29 am

At the airport I like to sprint up the stairs taking them two at a time...the more the better. Just to make sure I've still got it.

I guess one day I'll have a massive heart attack two-thirds of the way up and then I'll know that I don't  

AlnessW

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:49 am

Hence the often more easily-found escalator/elevator is the better option.

Quoting lewis (Reply 11):
I get pissed off when I have to wait for the one elevator that serves so many people instead of climbing two flights of stairs.

The world would be an amazing place if everyone had some patience.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):
If I take an escalator, I usually climb it, rather than riding it.

You must've missed my comment then:

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 7):
What I don't like, however, is when people push and shove past you on an escalator like their butt is on fire.

-

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):
One reason I don't take escalators is because they're too darned slow!

...Seriously?

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 14):
At the airport I like to sprint up the stairs taking them two at a time...the more the better.

Sounds like you need to get to airport earlier!  

lewis

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:58 am

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 15):

The world would be an amazing place if everyone had some patience.

True, but its not a matter of being impatient in my case. I hate not having the option to take the stairs - how basic is that?

Tugger

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:00 am

Hence the often more easily-found escalator/elevator is the better option.

Nah, just means more exercise for me!     

Well hopefully you are politely standing to one side anyway. For me I usually will walk up the escalator until I am two steps behind whoever else is on it then wait patiently. And I would not normally go past people on a narrow escalator (unlike the majority of moving-walkways which are usually appropriately wide).

Do most here follow that custom when on a escalator or moving-walkway? Stand to the side to let people past if they need (when space allows obviously)?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

WestJet747

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:02 am

The elevator is right there - you might as well use it.

And if the stairs are right there too?

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 4):
1-2 floors is quicker as long as the stairwell security arrangements in multi-tenanted buildings allow it.

I used to live on the 15th floor of a downtown apartment in Adelaide, and I found it particularly frustrating when people would take the elevator only 1 floor up. If people want to be lazy, that's fine...but in this building, you had to walk right past the stairs to get to the elevator down the hallway! Mind-boggling stuff...

Here's a good "fail" for escalators:

I experienced this exact same thing at YYZ a few weeks ago! The security queue on the upper level was a couple hundred people deep (I was at the back) when some airport staff prompt about half the queue to go through security on the lower level. Everyone was civil and calmly walked towards the stairs/escalators, and to my surprise, just about everyone waited for the escalator. A handful of others and myself chose the stairs and I gladly made my way through security within a couple minutes while people were still trying to get down the escalator.

I don't know how things work in other places, but around here it's common courtesy to stay to the right side of the escalator if you're riding it up so that people walking up can pass on your left.
Flying refined.

hOMSaR

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:06 am

I'd prefer the stairs when possible. At work, however, they're not really accessible from the main floor up to my office, because they're basically designed for people to get out in an emergency, and not for regular use (so they're difficult to access). In my old building, they actually flat-out said you couldn't use the stairs except in an emergency. Drove me nuts, because my office was on the second floor.

What's more, the elevator security card reader was sometimes a bit quirky. If the damn thing didn't read my ID quick enough, I might miss my floor trying to get the thing to take, and get an unanticipated tour of the upper floors while fiddling with it. Certainly don't miss those days.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.

AlnessW

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:54 am

Quoting lewis (Reply 16):
I hate not having the option to take the stairs - how basic is that?

Very basic, I do see your point there. However...

True, but its not a matter of being impatient in my case.

Well this sounded like impatience:

I get pissed off when I have to wait for the one elevator

Quoting tugger (Reply 17):
Well hopefully you are politely standing to one side anyway.

Absolutely. However, I do find it somewhat annoying when people just go blasting by, even if there is room.

And I would not normally go past people on a narrow escalator (unlike the majority of moving-walkways which are usually appropriately wide).

That is good, but see my previous comment.

Stand to the side to let people past if they need (when space allows obviously)?

Like I said, I do still find it annoying when people just go speeding by.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 18):
And if the stairs are right there too?

Yep, and in this case it's a matter of personal preference. Some find taking the stairs annoying, others say waiting for the elevator is annoying.

If people want to be lazy, that's fine.
in this building, you had to walk right past the stairs to get to the elevator down the hallway! Mind-boggling stuff...

It's not a matter of being lazy or "mind-boggling", it's just what people prefer.

I don't know how things work in other places, but around here it's common courtesy to stay to the right side of the escalator if you're riding it up so that people walking up can pass on your left.

Yes, I've even seen decals on escalators before that say "Stand - Right, Walk - Left."

Quoting hOmsaR (Reply 19):
If the damn thing didn't read my ID quick enough, I might miss my floor trying to get the thing to take

How did the card reader work? Did you have to swipe on exit?
At other offices I've been in, you have to either scan your ID to call the elevator to your floor. Or, the other common way seems to be scanning your ID inside the elevator in order to select a floor.

DocLightning

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:04 am

You must've missed my comment then:

Stand to the right, walk to the left. Standard etiquette.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

WestJet747

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:10 am

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 20):
in this building, you had to walk right past the stairs to get to the elevator down the hallway! Mind-boggling stuff...

It's not a matter of being lazy or "mind-boggling", it's just what people prefer.

I prefer people be efficient and not waste my time  
Yes, I've even seen decals on escalators before that say "Stand - Right, Walk - Left."

I've never seen that anywhere around where I live, but I think they should be standard on all escalators!
Flying refined.

Airstud

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:13 am

"That sign that says, 'ESCALATOR TEMPORARILY OUT OF SERVICE' should never be there, man. That sign needs to say, 'ESCALATOR TEMPORARILY STAIRS.' " -- Mitch Hedberg
Pancakes are delicious.

hOMSaR

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 am

How did the card reader work? Did you have to swipe on exit?
At other offices I've been in, you have to either scan your ID to call the elevator to your floor. Or, the other common way seems to be scanning your ID inside the elevator in order to select a floor.

Had to scan ID inside elevator to select floor. The problem was that I was on the 2nd floor (ugh, I'd prefer the stairs, but noooooooo....). Occasionally I'd be on an elevator with a few other folks (going to different floors), perhaps the last one on. If the ID reader was giving me fits (it would beep, making me think that it accepted the ID, but it wouldn't let me select my floor), it might go past my floor while I was still fighting with the damn thing to accept my ID.

I guess I could add that to the pet peeve thread: ID/card readers (in general) that give you the same damn beep whether they accepted your card or rejected it.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.

AlnessW

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:30 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 21):
Stand to the right, walk to the left. Standard etiquette.

I know that. See my earlier post:

However, I do find it somewhat annoying when people just go blasting by, even if there is room.

--

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 22):
I prefer people be efficient and not waste my time

How exactly does that waste your time?

Quoting hOmsaR (Reply 24):
Had to scan ID inside elevator to select floor. The problem was that I was on the 2nd floor

Got it. Thanks.    I wasn't aware that you were only on the 2nd floor, hence my confusion.
Though I do remember that some card readers would let you select multiple floors with only one scan (i.e, one person scans and then everyone can select their floors.)

ID/card readers (in general) that give you the same damn beep whether they accepted your card or rejected it.

It does seem a bit odd.

AF1624

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:43 am

Mostly because I can't.

The company I work for has a tendency to be very secure and basically what happens is that the stairs are only to be used for emergencies. If you push the door the alarm will sound. So basically even for one floor you have to use the elevator (which, by the way, you can only have access to with your company ID card).

Generally speaking though, in some other cases I'll take the elevator because it looks and smell nicer than the stairwell of the building I'm at. I'll only really prefer the stairs to the elevator if they're "nice" and by nice I mean enjoyable to climb up (smell, appearance...). Hotel stairs for example are always nice and tidy.
Cheers

planeguy727

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:31 am

People have been trained to use these "conveniences." From a sociological perspective, it's what we've created in our society as a way of moving people. We call it advancing (others call it lazy, etc). Most cannot remember a time or place that did not offer these options.

Traveling in Vietnam & Cambodia I stayed in several local hotels that did not offer elevators. Didn't really notice until several other westerners pointed out the need to carry their own bags up one flight of stairs.

And over time it does shift the mindset related to physical activity and ability.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

na

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Depends on when and where.
At home I take the stairs. When I dont carry luggage I take the stairs. When Im in a hurry and its just one or two flights I take the stairs.
When I have to walk long ways I take the escalator or elevator as its a little relief inbetween.
When travelling, I always almost take escalators and elevators. Reason: the weight and especially bulk of luggage and the fact that even when you take the easy way up you´ll be sweaty halfway of the journey. No need to hasten that. Also I often have pains in my knees (a family weakness), and walking stairs makes it worse.

smittyone

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Slightly off the topic, pretty recently I recognized the beginning of my own physical decline when I had to make a connection in Atlanta (I think)...arriving flight was late and my next flight was at the far end of a completely different concourse. The airport was PACKED, more crowded than I have ever seen a place full of people.

I had to run full tilt for half a mile (half of it sideways to avoid people) and barely made the gate before they shut the door, covered in sweat and sucking wind. Felt every bit of 40 years old and 15 pounds overweight.

So now I've been exercising regularly and take the stairs when I can. I just don't want to be rendered useless by modern conveniences any earlier than necessary. Bad enough that my job entails sitting on my ass mostly.

WestJet747

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 25):
How exactly does that waste your time?

Having to stop on each of the first 3 floors on the way to my own because people don't want to walk up 18 steps.

ID/card readers (in general) that give you the same damn beep whether they accepted your card or rejected it

The card reader at my office does that. Makes the same high-pitched beep regardless of if it lets you in or not. Luckily there's a little green light that briefly flashes if your card is accepted so that you aren't completely clueless.
Flying refined.

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Imagine if more people used the stairs.... The calories burned adds up!

That's why eastern European and Rusian women still have great legs, they mostly live in apartmens without working elevators.

Quoting lewis (Reply 1):
-People at my gym taking the elevator to go up to the reception level. You just worked out, will a flight of stairs really kill you? Not annoying, just weird.

Like this classic only in America photo

dc9northwest

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:13 pm

I tried to take the stairs once, but I couldn't; they're too heavy and they're glued to the building somehow. Plus, a building without stairs looks weird.

I take the stairs when:
1. To avoid conversation: I want to be anti-social and not talk to anyone on an elevator
2. To avoid crowding/queues: I want to get somewhere faster and avoid a queue by getting somewhere before a mass of non-moving escalator-people

Generally if I'm relaxed I'll take the lift or the 'lator. Usually not for 1 or 2 stories though. 3? I will take the lift, probably.

fr8mech

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:29 pm

People don't take the stairs because they are like electrons: they take the path of less resistance.

Personally, I take the stairs whenever I can.

Reminds me of a time in my distant past when I was a young firefighter attending the Fire Staff & Command school in Ocean City, Maryland. My hotel room was on the 18th floor. Ran the stairs everyday, except after the partying...then I walked them.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

na

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 31):

Great photo. Is that really a true location? Unbelievable, what did the owner think when building it? Fitness for Fatties, or what?
Or are those escalators are non-working gag?

fr8mech

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Quoting na (Reply 36):
Great photo. Is that really a true location? Unbelievable, what did the owner think when building it? Fitness for Fatties, or what?

It's probably real. What's probably happened here is that the fitness place is a tenant in this building along with several other tenants. That building and escalators were there before the fitness place went in...and will be there after the fitness place leaves.

[Edited 2012-07-26 07:38:49]
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

DocLightning

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 25):
I know that. See my earlier post:

In that case, sorry, bub. Can't help ya there! *shrug*
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

AlnessW

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 27):
People have been trained to use these "conveniences." From a sociological perspective, it's what we've created in our society as a way of moving people. We call it advancing (others call it lazy, etc).

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 27):
Traveling in Vietnam & Cambodia I stayed in several local hotels that did not offer elevators.

It is also equally annoying when the European hotel has one tiny "phone booth" elevator that only fits one or two people with bags. Dragging bags up 2-3 flights of stairs is a hassle when the elevator is too small and there are no porters at the hotel.

Quoting na (Reply 28):
At home I take the stairs.

Do you have an escalator or elevator at home?

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 30):
Having to stop on each of the first 3 floors on the way to my own because people don't want to walk up 18 steps.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 30):
Makes the same high-pitched beep regardless of if it lets you in or not. Luckily there's a little green light that briefly flashes if your card is accepted so that you aren't completely clueless.

That does seem to be the case with most card readers. Sometimes you can also hear the "click" of the door unlocking if it accepts your card. (Except for in an elevator, obviously.)

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 34):
I tried to take the stairs once, but I couldn't; they're too heavy and they're glued to the building somehow.

1. To avoid conversation: I want to be anti-social and not talk to anyone on an elevator

Why?

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 35):
People don't take the stairs because they are like electrons: they take the path of less resistance.

Must be the case.

Quoting na (Reply 36):

Or that picture has been photoshopped. However, this seems to be the best explanation:

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 37):
What's probably happened here is that the fitness place is a tenant in this building along with several other tenants. That building and escalators were there before the fitness place went in...and will be there after the fitness place leaves.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 38):
In that case, sorry, bub.

No, you're not. Nice try.

lewis

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:00 pm

I hate not having the option to take the stairs - how basic is that?

Very basic, I do see your point there. However...

True, but its not a matter of being impatient in my case.

Well this sounded like impatience:

I get pissed off when I have to wait for the one elevator

Because in that case, it takes more time to take the elevator, especially since it is only one and it serves 5 floors, yet I may have to stand there waiting for more than a few minutes - while the stairs would take me just a few seconds to reach my floor. I do get impatient when nature calls and I am just back from a very long commute.

dc9northwest

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:40 pm

In honor of this thread I took the stairs when exiting the subway tonight.

Thanks everyone, it was a good work-out.

Tugger

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:39 pm

I know exactly where that place is! It's here in San Diego in the neighborhood of Point Loma.

I tried to take the stairs once, but I couldn't; they're too heavy and they're glued to the building somehow. Plus, a building without stairs looks weird.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 35):

Personally, I take the stairs whenever I can.

So this could be taken to imply that you are not "people" i.e. human  I always thought there was something different about you.....  
Quoting na (Reply 36):
Fitness for Fatties, or what?

I will point out that the people on the escalator are apparently walk up it. Whether it is moving or not I don't know.

Tugg

MD-90

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:27 am

I'll be honest and admit that I prefer the stairs over an elevator (if it's a reasonable distance, not 15 floors for example) because I once got stuck on an overloaded elevator for close to an hour (which is hot and claustrophobic) and now I'm somewhat skittish about riding them.

Type-Rated

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:23 pm

I worked in this building one time where we had a choice of escalators and stairs. There was this secretary who was a big of an old bag. We asked her one time why she always took the elevator just one floor and didn't use the stairs. The company even sent out a leaflet indicating that there are health benefits to taking the stairs.
What was her answer when asked about the elevators vs the stairs?

"Well, there are an AWFUL lot of UNMARRIED young men working in this building and I just don't feel safe in the stairwell".

I just thought who would be interested in late 50's overweight woman?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 pm

I try to take stairs whenever possible, or at least walk up the escalator if there are no stairs around.

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 14):
I guess one day I'll have a massive heart attack two-thirds of the way up and then I'll know that I don't

Quoting type-rated (Reply 42):
I just thought who would be interested in late 50's overweight woman?

Did you ask?  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Aesma

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Terrific !

Do most here follow that custom when on a escalator or moving-walkway? Stand to the side to let people past if they need (when space allows obviously)?

If you don't do that in Paris you'll get yelled at pretty soon ! I see it every day with tourists. Personally I'm not a true Parisian (aka a douche) so I don't yell.

Quoting na (Reply 28):
When I have to walk long ways I take the escalator or elevator as its a little relief inbetween.

The same for me, especially considering that I hate walking so to minimize it I walk as fast as possible.

I'm not afraid of stairs, in fact the house I live in has three levels so I climb quite a few stairs even when I'm not working. On the other hand I'm quite lazy and sweat easily so if the elevator/escalator is a good option I'll take it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Birdwatching

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:11 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 40):
I know exactly where that place is! It's here in San Diego in the neighborhood of Point Loma.

This is it:

http://goo.gl/maps/qwzdM

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

DocLightning

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 37):
No, you're not. Nice try.

I admit it. I'm not sorry. Now gerroutta my way!
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Airstud

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:59 am

Folks - about the fitness place with the escalators out front - please remember that some people go to a gym for the sole purpose of rehabilitating an injury.
Pancakes are delicious.

AirframeAS

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:21 am

The only question is why does anyone care? If you want to take the stairs, more power to you. But sometimes it's not an option.

Is there a rule that is written somewhere that we are required to use the stairs and only use the elevator/esculator when one really needs to? Again, why is this an issue?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

srqmuc

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:53 am

Actually this "piano stairs" experiment was part of a VW Marketing campaign "The Fun Theory" (by DDB Stockholm) promoting their Bluemotion technology. They even won the Cannes Cyber Grand Prix in 2010!

http://www.thefuntheory.com/
http://creativity-online.com/news/be...-volkswagens-the-fun-theory/139512
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihai50diA7o