dl021
Topic Author

South African Visit Advice Requested

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:50 pm

Quick question...going to have a day to kill in Joburg next week and wondering what to do. I'd like to take the wife to a game preserve near there, but don't know which ones are close enough and decent enough to make it worthwhile.

I'd appreciate any input, or alternative suggestions. Will be leaving early Thursday for trip to Drakensburg mtns so Wednesday is basically my acclimitization day.

THanks in advance.

[Edited 2012-08-01 09:50:32]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Mir

RE: South African Visit Advice Requested

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Quoting dl021 (Thread starter):
I'd like to take the wife to a game preserve near there

Look out for snoop lions.   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

dl021
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Smart ass.   Just looking for a place to take Debbie to see lions and tigers and bears since we don't have time to go to Kruger or someplace else. Just a daytrip.

signol

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:52 pm

I don't think there are many big game parks near Joburg, Pilanesberg is possibly the closest. It's still a couple of hours away though.
There are other sights in the province though.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Jasondn

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:56 pm

http://www.lion-park.com/

This might help. Just outside Randburg on the way to Lanseria Airport. Enjoy SA, Drakensberg will be fantastic.

dl021
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 pm

I was looking at that...have you been? thanks for the input!

Jasondn

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:54 am

Yes, I have been and its worth the visit. If I remember correctly, they have a petting zoo with lion cubs.

You won't see many Tigers and Bears as we dont get them here in Africa, but if you want to see the other cats, Leopard, cheetah, etc. Johannesburg zoo would be an alternative. As zoos go, it is huge and probably the best in Africa.

dl021
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks Jason...I was sort of kidding with David about the tigers and bears, oh my! but I think we're going to go to the lion and rhino park right there and get the ranger guided trip.

much appreciated.

sw733

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Quoting dl021 (Reply 2):
Just looking for a place to take Debbie to see lions and tigers and bears since we don't have time to go to Kruger or someplace else.

Contrary to popular belief, game animals don't just roam around all of southern Africa  

I have not been to this Lion Park, but I have been to the Joburg Zoo and enjoyed it.

Geezer

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 am

Quoting dl021 (Reply 2):
Just looking for a place to take Debbie to see lions and tigers

I hate to disappoint you, but I can just about guarantee that you WON"T see any tigers ! (unless they're in a zoo)

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Geezer

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:28 am

While we're on the topic of "things to see" in South Africa...............(this is probably too far south for your present trip) but I was just looking through a book I have today, and I saw something that really surprised me...........mainly because I had never heard about it before..........Table Mountain, overlooking Cape Town. I can't believe I've never heard about it before; one great, huge mountain, perfectly flat on top...........with a big mountain on either side, both "conical" like most mountains are.

It says there's a lot of wild life living on it, but unfortunately all of the lions and leopards are long gone.

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Jasondn

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:43 am

Quoting GEEZER (Reply 10):
While we're on the topic of "things to see" in South Africa...............(this is probably too far south for your present trip) but I was just looking through a book I have today, and I saw something that really surprised me...........mainly because I had never heard about it before..........Table Mountain, overlooking Cape Town. I can't believe I've never heard about it before; one great, huge mountain, perfectly flat on top...........with a big mountain on either side, both "conical" like most mountains are.

It says there's a lot of wild life living on it, but unfortunately all of the lions and leopards are long gone.

Charley

It's what I look at every day of my life....my office is at the base of the mountain.

dl021
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:04 pm

Guys...I appreciate it...there's an old line from a song or movie that goes "lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" and that' swhta I was referring to. I understand that there aren't any tigers in southern Africa outside of zoos and preserves, and I was actually hoping more to see some animals native to the area.

The lion and rhino preserve in guateng sounds pretty nice. I do wonder if there's an available baboon hunting expedition....I understand that irritates certain categories of people....who've never met a baboon.

Jasondn

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Quoting dl021 (Reply 12):
I do wonder if there's an available baboon hunting expedition....I understand that irritates certain categories of people....who've never met a baboon.

You seriously want to hunt a baboon? Why? If you come down to the Western Cape, they are all over the mountains etc.. They will come right up to you. No need to go and hunt them......they are very common. Granted, they are quite ugly and can be vicious, but we live with them.

Geezer

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:10 am

Quoting Jasondn (Reply 11):
It's what I look at every day of my life....my office is at the base of the mountain.

Jasondn..........

Your tourist bureau ( or who ever is responsible for getting the word out to the world that you have fantastic things to look at ), are dropping the ball !

I've seen ten million photos of Ayres Rock in Australia for years and years ! From the looks of the photo of Table Mountain in this book I have, it looks every bit as "awesome" as Ayres Rock ! I can't believe there are no photos of it floating around.

Have you ever been on it ? How about the difficulty of climbing it ? I think maybe d1021 is missing a great opportunity if he doesn't come to Cape Town and see this thing.

Charley

dl021
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:48 am

Guys...I'm back and the trip was outstanding. I'll make it to the Western Cape next time, as I do want to climb Table Mountain.

Lesotho is a beautiful place and the people very friendly, and the Land Rover Experience people in Joburg are excellent.

I strongly recommend the Irene County Lodge in Centurion, and Oranje Gastplaats near Fouriesburg. Katse Dam Lodge and Sani Pass Lodge are decent for their locations and staff.

The Lion and Rhino park in Guateng is very good and a worthwhile day trip.

The best way to travel in country is with a Land Rover Defender you can rent through the Land Rover Experience folks.

Go to the Drakensburg mountains at least once in your life.

Photos are up on FB and