Ps76
Topic Author

Ever Got Mistaken For Something You're Totally Not

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi!

Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has had similar circumstances where people mistake them for something totally different from what they are or keep thinking they are something different. Some of mine:

Sometimes when people ask where I'm/we're from and we say Iraq they think we're messing around with them. This is usually waiters. This leads to asking repeatedly and then them leaving thinking we're being offensive by not giving a straight answer or sometimes us saying "Italy" to which they leave happy!

My local convenience store salesman once asked me if I was Indian. I told him I was from Iraq and he at least believed me. I have no idea if there are Indians who look Italian. Maybe.

A workcolleage of mine when I was in the South Pacific would always greet me with a respectful "Shalom" because I have a very jewish sounding last name. Every time I would joke "hey I'm not jewish man!" and the next day it would be the same thing all over again.

A friend of mine's dad refuses to believe I'm not a muslim. For a while every time I'd go round he'd ask me something to do with my muslim culture then I'd be "I'm actually not muslim" and the next time it would be "did you go to mosque today". This went on for maybe a year!

Amazingly with the username Pierre in quite a few forums I get hit on by guys who think I'm a girl. This happens a lot in Assyrian chat (I am an Assyrian). It's always the ones who when you tell them you're a guy won't say another word to you! I wonder how anyone english speaking could have go to the age of hitting on people and not heard of the name Pierre!

Anyone else ever get mistaken for something totally different?

Many thanks.

Pierre

DocLightning

RE: Ever Got Mistaken For Something You're Totally Not

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:57 pm

When I was younger, I was this muscly dude with a buzz cut and a lantern jaw who carried himself with head held high and a straight back (like my dad taught me to). I was also a candy raver and everyone at every rave I went to was absolutely CONVINCED I was a cop, especially since I never really got into the drugs side of things and so I was one of the only sober people there.   
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Ps76
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi!

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
When I was younger, I was this muscly dude with a buzz cut and a lantern jaw who carried himself with head held high and a straight back (like my dad taught me to). I was also a candy raver and everyone at every rave I went to was absolutely CONVINCED I was a cop, especially since I never really got into the drugs side of things and so I was one of the only sober people there.

I remember when I used to go to clubs when I was younger I was really into house/techno (and other music too). But to house techno I would dance to the lightshow for hours in bliss. I used to get asked for drugs a lot! The only thing I was on was tap water!

Many thanks,

Pierre

DocLightning

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 2):

I remember when I used to go to clubs when I was younger I was really into house/techno (and other music too). But to house techno I would dance to the lightshow for hours in bliss. I used to get asked for drugs a lot! The only thing I was on was tap water!

Well, I was a bit more exciting than you. I'd at least be on caffeine!  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:18 pm

When I'm in a rough part of town in the US, hood-rats sometimes think I'm an undercover cop.
I hate it!
Bring back the Concorde

seb146

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 pm

People mistake me for straight. I don't mind. It's the way society is. I do correct them. It was more irritating earlier in life when my goal in life was to get some and not be in a relationship. Always having girls flirting with me. Again, I didn't mind. Ego boost, but when I am trying to hook up with her brother, it kinda puts a kaibosh on the whole evening....
Life in the wall is a drag.

falstaff

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 5):
People mistake me for straight

12 years ago my neighbor asked me if I was gay. I said "no, but why do you ask?" He said he thought I was gay because I had a clean house and had a cat. I told him " I have a friend who is gay and has a dog and a dirty house". He laughed and never brought it up again.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
When I'm in a rough part of town in the US, hood-rats sometimes think I'm an undercover cop.
I hate it!

Didn't you get mistaken for Usher when you were traveling once?
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

RussianJet

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Been mistaken for gay a few times. I'm really not even slightly camp, and to my mind do not exhibit any 'stereotypical' traits - for instance, I am no fashion king and am really a bit of a hippy at heart in terms of how I dress and act (PLEASE understand I that I do understand the meaning of the word 'stereotype' and that not all gay people walk around with signs on). It has been pretty awkward a few times though, and a few times I have been left feeling that maybe I shouldn't be so open or demonstrative with people, as alas they sometimes get the wrong idea. Not that that is of itself a huge problem, but at least one friendship has been spoiled.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

WestJet747

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:09 pm

When I was in highschool there was a rumour going around for a short while that I was a massive drug-addict. I honestly have no idea how it got started considering I'm the furthest thing from (honour roll student, 3-sport athlete, Editor of the school newspaper, general ass-kisser to teachers, etc.).

I later went on to suspect that it was my (at the time) girlfriend's little brother who spread the rumour, who was a drug dealer and had already been booted out of school by that point. I started to get the feeling he didn't like me when he pulled a knife on me in their living room for no apparent reason   

People mistake me for straight.

Funny, I get mistaken for gay all the time.  

A guy can't dress nicely these days without being labeled it seems.
Flying refined.

petertenthije

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:20 pm

I was mistaken several times for an Englishman. By that time I had been living there for half a year and not only got the language but the accent as well. It was a bit embarassing though when I called my grandmum and she did not recognise me. Afterwards she admitted she thought I was a police officer or some other official with bad news (she's always worried like that, bless her).
Attamottamotta!

2707200X

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Once in a while when I go to a book store or electronics store I sometimes get confused for an employee possibly by the solid color of shirt with no logos or imagery that I ware. People most often ask me if I am an employee and I say no I am not, sometime a person will go on and ask me where something it and give good detail of what they want, I have to tell the person that I am not an employee.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

seb146

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 8):
A guy can't dress nicely these days without being labeled it seems.

That's funny because I dress nice all the time. I don't understand how I can get that vibe. I dress nice, like Nordstrom's nice, and still am mistaken for straight?

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 9):
I was mistaken several times for an Englishman.

I have been mistaken for Canadian. A lot. Not that I mind. I also get asked for directions when I am out of town. My partner and I just drove to Wall, South Dakota and we were both asked for directions on several occasions in different towns: Bozeman, Cheyenne, Salt Lake, Rapid City....
Life in the wall is a drag.

DocLightning

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:43 pm

All the time. Which is fine with me. My personal life is not their business unless I decide it is.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 8):
Funny, I get mistaken for gay all the time.

So that time with you and me in the bathroom stall means NOTHING?     

Oh... wait. That was Larry Paige. My bad...   
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

WestJet747

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 11):
I don't understand how I can get that vibe. I dress nice, like Nordstrom's nice, and still am mistaken for straight?

Perhaps you're doing something wrong  
Quoting seb146 (Reply 11):
I have been mistaken for Canadian.

Congratulations! 
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
So that time with you and me in the bathroom stall means NOTHING?     

Oh... wait. That was Larry Paige. My bad...

Pfft...as if you just confused me with Larry Page. Larry Page wishes he looked like me!

I was mistaken several times for an Englishman.

When I lived in Australia, I was confused for an Irishman....I sound no different than any other Canadian (Newfoundland not included).
Flying refined.

Marcus

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 pm

Indian
Filipino
Italian
Arab
American
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

rfields5421

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:39 pm

When my kids were small (3 to 5 years old) I seemed to have a lot of young kids grab my leg in crowds - then they would look up and realize I wasn't their Dad.

It's always funny to see a kid yell "Daddy" or "Mommy" and have 30 people respond.

Revelation

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:39 pm

Nah, I'm always the one looking at other people swearing that I've met them before, and finding out that I'm totally mistaken.

And it hasn't happened in a while, but I have made the mistake of assuming someone was working for the store, when they really were just another shopper.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

TSS

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Me too, except they also assume I'm a big ol' ignorant redneck. It doesn't bother me when actual straight people mistake me for straight because in those situations it's basically a moot point, but when my fellow gays are pointedly unfriendly because they think I'm straight it's more than a little bit annoying.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DocLightning

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 13):
Pfft...as if you just confused me with Larry Page. Larry Page wishes he looked like me!

Fair point. I have far better taste than Larry Page.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

DeltaMD90

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34 am

People call me Tosh.0 ALL THE TIME lol
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

NoUFO

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:44 am

Police once confused me with somebody who had just tried to kill his girlfriend by throwing a hairdryer into her bathtub (as I later learned). I was standing on a hill that normally is pretty empty at night, but as soon as police handcuffed me two couples came by, looked at me whispering and shook their heads.

I am hard of hearing and one teacher for the deaf was convinced that I could not read and understand a newspaper - not even the letters to the editor. I told her that she must confuse me with her students attending her german lessons.
I support the right to arm bears

HorizonGirl

Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:59 am

A guy. People think I'm a guy.

I certainly do not look male in the slightest. But I suppose I do have a gender neutral name, paired with a masculine sounding last name, which repeatedly throws people off when they see it only in print.

For example:

When going to the optometrist, I go up to the front desk to check in. Receptionist says "Is Devon ready for his eye appointment?"

Calling to confirm an appointment for a driving lesson, I got "Well did Devon book this himself, or was it you?"

Picking an order "So is Devon your brother?"

When accepting a prize I won in a raffle "This has Devon's name on it, so we can only give it to him."

For a while, I seriously considered going by definitely feminine middle name, but oh, the looks on people's faces when I explain that I'm Devon is definitely worth it!   

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

stasisLAX

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:21 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 20):
Police once confused me with somebody who had just tried to kill his girlfriend by throwing a hairdryer into her bathtub (as I later learned). I was standing on a hill that normally is pretty empty at night, but as soon as police handcuffed me two couples came by, looked at me whispering and shook their heads.

When I lived in LGB, a neighbor said to a police detective that I was responsible for a break-in of someone's home on our block. The neighbor based this on the fact that he never saw me leave my home the day after the break-in. Some logic.

The Long Beach police detective came over and knocked on my front door, and immediately told me what the neighbor said. The top reason I was dismissed as a person of interest - the burglar was a short man of color according to an eyewitness - and I am neither!! Never spoke to that neighbor or his equally insane wife again!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Superfly

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:09 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 6):
Didn't you get mistaken for Usher when you were traveling once?

That was a customs agent in Turkey.

Quoting HorizonGirl (Reply 21):

Next time just tell people that you had a sex change operation and didn't bother to change your name.  
Bring back the Concorde

signol

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:45 am

I was mistaken several times for an Englishman

Funny, when I lived in France I was mistaken for being Dutch all the time!

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

usflyer msp

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

1 - People in Brazil thinking I am Italian.

2 - People in India thinking I am Saudi

3 - South Africans thinking I am Israeli

4 - Egyptians thinking I am Egyptian-American

After a MN winter, I can be pretty pale but I have never thought of myself as ethnically ambiguous. I would say that I am pretty clearly not European or Arab.

PlymSpotter

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:23 am

When I was travelling in the Philippines lots of people kept calling me Jesus and told me I looked like him. I guess the long hair and beard did that, it was quite amusing really.

Without a beard I would occasionally be mistaken for a woman from behind when I had long hair, with amusing reactions when people realised.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Revelation

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 pm

For a while, I seriously considered going by definitely feminine middle name, but oh, the looks on people's faces when I explain that I'm Devon is definitely worth it!

OMG, I did this to someone recently, and boy, was it cringe-worthy!

I was meeting someone at the 2nd floor of a skin/nails type of salon, and to get there, I had to go through the 1st floor entrance and cross the building.

Given that I live alone and work almost totally with males, I was totally out of my comfort zone going into this den of femininity. Inside, I was quite freaked out.

I parked my car on the side of the building, and it was a long walk around the entrance in the front.

I came to be behind a short stocky person wearing jeans and a collar shirt with a short mullet style haircut who was moving pretty slow.

Given the narrow path and the wide person, I couldn't get around them, so I decided to try a conversation.

I said something along the lines of "Isn't it funny to see two guys going into a nails salon?".

Then she turned around and said, "Oh,brother" or something like that.

I of course was in total cringe mode, and tried to say something like sorry, or oops, but have no idea if the words came out or not...

To be honest, even if I had seen her from the front side, it would have taken a 2nd look to make out that she was a female. She was quite butch, wearing what can easily be mistaken as being a man's haircut and a man's clothes. She was quite stocky, and even her boobs could be mistaken for "man boobs"! The only things that clued me in were the shape of her face, and some jewelery she was wearing, and to some degree, her voice.

Thank God we were right at the door by that point, and went in separate directions.

I had to walk across the building through around a dozen different stations where women were doing other woman's nails, and each time they looked up at me and gave me that look that said "What the hell are you doing here?", and all I could say was that the feeling was mutual! By the end of my walk across the building, I was chucking to myself each time I saw that startled expression on their faces!

us330

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:55 pm

But I suppose I do have a gender neutral name, paired with a masculine sounding last name, which repeatedly throws people off when they see it only in print

I hate writing cover letters when the contact person has a gender neutral name without having a Ms.,Mr., or Mrs. by it. You can google the person, but that only works some of the time. Nothing like making a faux pas as a first impression!

With me, when I'm travelling I often get German, and when I'm with friends or other Americans, people mistake my ethnic origins. I'm jewish, but I have blond hair and light skin--hardly the stereotype of what many people think that Jews look like.

Revelation

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 28):
I hate writing cover letters when the contact person has a gender neutral name without having a Ms.,Mr., or Mrs. by it.

I have the same problem when emailing people at work and they have a name that I am not familiar with, usually an Indian or Chinese name. We have a company directory online, but we can all decide to post our picture or not, and so that isn't always useful.

Quoting us330 (Reply 28):
I'm jewish, but I have blond hair and light skin--hardly the stereotype of what many people think that Jews look like.

Indeed. I know a woman who converted to Judaism who is a blonde blue-eyed Scandinavian. It took her quite a time for the folks at the temple to accept her as just another congregant.

AirPacific747

Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Often mistaken for being German when travelling abroad  

Even been mistaken for an Italian once. I have no idea why.

Actually often when travelling abroad, people assume that I am local and will talk to me in the local language I've experienced this in Ukraine, Germany, Poland, Austria, etc. I guess it can be difficult to see where people are from nowadays.

scbriml

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm often mistaken for Brad Pitt.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:52 pm

I explain that I'm Devon is definitely worth it!

Funny but I'd never knew Devon was also male's name, I went to school with a couple of Devon's, they were both female.

I keep on getting confused for an Australian, I frequently wear t-shirts which are distinctly kiwi but idiots still ask me if I'm one of them!

HorizonGirl

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:31 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 23):
Next time just tell people that you had a sex change operation and didn't bother to change your name.

Haha!! Now I'm going to have to try that one!

Quoting Revelation (Reply 27):
I came to be behind a short stocky person wearing jeans and a collar shirt with a short mullet style haircut who was moving pretty slow.

Well in your defense, at least she looked masculine. But still, that is quite the cringe-worthy moment.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 32):
Funny but I'd never knew Devon was also male's name, I went to school with a couple of Devon's, they were both female.

Well at least I know someone would have thought I was female from just reading my name! It's even happened on this site before, I guess resulting from people speed reading my username, but I suppose that is understandable given the gender ratio around here.

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

hOMSaR

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:44 am

I've been mistaken for Puerto Rican a number of times (and Mexican once). I'm neither. Many hispanics will assume I speak Spanish (I don't).

I was once mistaken for an airline employee (I'm not), because I was wearing a shirt and tie at the airport (now, granted, the kid who walked up to me to ask me a question was maybe 10 years old, but still...).

I'm routinely mistaken for a local when I visit certain cities (at least, I assume people assume I'm a local, since they're asking me for directions on how to get somewhere).

Quite often, I'm mistaken for someone who gives a damn about what the other person is talking about.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.

Superfly

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:16 am

Quoting HorizonGirl (Reply 33):
Well at least I know someone would have thought I was female from just reading my name!

Devon was also a female Barbie doll.
I've always known that Devon was an androgynous name.

[Edited 2012-08-07 23:17:09]
Bring back the Concorde

mandala499

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:38 am

I have been mistaken for being Garuda's CEO Emirsyah Satar quite a few times... at the airport, at airshows, aviation exhibitions, seminars, etc...

It's getting boring... (and I don't think we look alike, but a lot of people seem to think so...)

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Confuscius

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:47 am

To some a.netters I've been mistaken for a certain body orifice...but then again they maybe right.  
Ain't I a stinker?

PanHAM

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 am

Quoting Ps76 (Thread starter):
I have no idea if there are Indians who look Italian. Maybe.

A lot of Indians in Germany pretend to be Italian and open Pizza shops. Always check the owners name or the menue, if you find Indian food on a Pizzeria menue order that instead of the Italian dish.