United Airline
Topic Author

Any Chance For USA To Catch Up In London 2012?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:18 am

When will London 2012 end?

Any chance for USA to catch up and be no 1 in total/gold medals?

JetBlueGuy2006

RE: Any Chance For USA To Catch Up In London 2012?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:31 am

It ends next weekend.

I think they do....they have a good shot at probably a couple more track and field medals, as well as

- M Basketball
- W Basketball
- W Beach Volleyball (They will actually get 2 medals...gold and silver; it is Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings vs. Kessy and Ross for the Gold Medal Match)

Probably some other sports as well...that I can't think of at the moment.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

zhiao

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:36 am

They will get some more in the women's 200 meter final. Don't forget the US is favored to win indoor volleyball for both men and women. So I say the US will get about 6 more gold which is what it got in 2008

Confuscius

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:23 am

BTW, There's no official medal count from the IOC.

The Olympic Charter, Chapter 1, section 6 states that:

"The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events and not between countries …”

The Charter goes even further in Chapter 5, section 58, expressly prohibiting the IOC from producing an official ranking:
“The IOC and the OCOG shall not draw up any global ranking per country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_medal_table
Ain't I a stinker?

Geezer

Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm not sure where they stand at this very moment, ( Friday am ), but I heard yesterday they were ahead; don't know if it's true or not...................

Regardless of what happens, I'm totally happy ! They have done very well; so has China; considering the vast differences between their "system" and our's, I don't think a meaningful comparison is possible.

As others have noted, the Olympics is not about "which country wins the most medals"; it's about individual athletic accomplishment; (although some of the so-called "new sports" are a little "dorky" IMHO) (synchronized swimming anyone ?)

It's been a great games; London did great; I'm happy; now let's see what Russia can do in the winter games.

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Polot

Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Quoting GEEZER (Reply 4):
I'm not sure where they stand at this very moment, ( Friday am ), but I heard yesterday they were ahead; don't know if it's true or not...................

The BBC is keeping a count. As of now the US is in the lead in terms of both number of medals and number of golds (China was ahead up until a few days ago)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/medals/countries#medals

AustrianZRH

Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 3):
"The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events and not between countries …”

Nevertheless, during victory ceremonies, the three medalists are announced by

"Gold medalist, and Olympic champion, representing [country], John Doe", (for bronze and silver medalists accordingly)

so the athlete is seen as the representative of his country in a way.
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.