Geezer

Questionable Olympic Sports

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:20 am

So far, I have throughly enjoyed the London Olympics.............until today. I turned the TV on this morning, thinking to see if there was any Olympic "action" taking place; yes there was............syncronized "ribbon twirling" ! Not sure what they called it, but I called it...."nauseating" ! 5 or 6 young girls, bumping into each other, all about as "graceful" as 3-legged cows,..............
all of which leads me to conclude that what I have long suspected is true...............namely, that the International Olympic Committee has "lost it's marbles" !

So what's next ? synchronized tidily-winks ? weightlifting for 9 year old's ?

So what's your "favorite" Olympic event to hate ?

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

kingairta

RE: Questionable Olympic Sports

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:29 am

Anything that has a world stage already like soccer and any sport covered by the X games.

BMI727

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:32 am

Quoting GEEZER (Thread starter):

All of them.

Preseason football with crappy referees is getting more play in the non-NBC sports media. Plus the largest sports scandal of all time, NBA plates shifting, and time beginning to wind down on baseball season all occurring at the same time only further convinces me of the irrelevance of the Olympics. It's a novelty sold on human interest stories more than sporting events. Most of what goes on belongs more on TMZ than Sportscenter.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Mir

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:41 am

Quoting KingairTA (Reply 1):
Anything that has a world stage already like soccer and any sport covered by the X games.

No reason we need to have soccer and tennis at the Olympics.

yes there was............syncronized "ribbon twirling" ! Not sure what they called it, but I called it...."nauseating" ! 5 or 6 young girls, bumping into each other, all about as "graceful" as 3-legged cows,..............

That's rhythmic gymnastics, which I saw for the first time yesterday, and I was quite impressed. Not that it'll ever be favorite of mine, but the things those people can do are pretty damn impressive, and it's certainly more interesting than watching wrestling or weightlifting.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Geezer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:01 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
and it's certainly more interesting than watching wrestling or weightlifting.

Your opinion;

My opinion............

I'd rather watch wrestling and weight lifting ! (any day)

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:02 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
That's rhythmic gymnastics, which I saw for the first time yesterday, and I was quite impressed. Not that it'll ever be favorite of mine, but the things those people can do are pretty damn impressive, and it's certainly more interesting than watching wrestling or weightlifting.

-Mir

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciated that. Personally, I found it even more impressive than figure skating, really. The timing some of those girls exhibit with their balls and hoops was amazing...

Quoting KingairTA (Reply 1):

Don't even get me started on Olympic Basketball... But yes, very good point.
You Sir, are a very funny lady.

GrahamHill

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:05 am

there is not real discipline I would like to be removed in the Olympics. I like sports. All sports  
Quoting Mir (Reply 3):

And why that?

[Edited 2012-08-10 23:09:08]
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

Mir

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:30 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 6):
Quoting Mir (Reply 3):

And why that?

Because there's already a big international soccer tournament run every four years, where countries actually send their full squads and not some watered down version. If a sport is going to be in the Olympics, that should be the top level of international competition. For soccer, the Olympics are just simply not bigger than the World Cup. And thus it shouldn't be there.

Same thing for tennis. The Olympics are not bigger than any of the Grand Slam events. So why have it?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

fr8mech

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:39 am

You know, I always felt that the Olympics should feature 'militarily' important sports. Track & field, wrestling, gymnastics, swimming, jumping, etc. Not really sure why that notion is firmly imbedded in my head. Probably something in my youth. The Summer Olympics were a big deal in my family's homes when I was summering in Greece.

As such, a lot of the events I've seen gets the "what's the point" indicator lighting up in my head.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

MadameConcorde

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:57 am

There's been a countless number of useless new Olympic sports added in the last few games. Many of them did not exit in Rome in 1960, Tokyo 1964 and following games I can remember.

I want to see a Olympic Formula 1 race!

Just a one F1 event taking place during the Olympic games every 4 years with a Gold, Silver and Bronze medalist, namely the first, second and third places in the race.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

PHX787

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:00 am

I personally wanna see baseball back in the olympics. It'd be interesting to see who would be on the Olympic team from the US (Aroldis Chapman....would he play for Cuba?)
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

kiwiandrew

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:05 am

Equestrian definitely needs to go. The olympics are meant to be about human acheivement, aren't they? As daft as synchronised swimming and rhythmic gymnastics are they are still impressive feats of human ability rather than a human sitting on something else which actually does all the work. If we allow equestrian then to be consistent we should allow other joke 'sports' such as motorsports.

vikkyvik

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:16 am

Steeple Chase. What the hell?? A distance run with occasional hurdles and one random hurdle over a puddle???

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 5):
The timing some of those girls exhibit with their balls

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

BMI727

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:22 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 10):
I personally wanna see baseball back in the olympics

Why? We get 162 games of the best players on earth every year, so what's the point of watching some of the same players and some inferior players for two weeks at odd hours? The World Baseball Classic is already a joke. And, there's not a chance in hell that MLB would hold up their season for a couple weeks like the NHL does not to mention that what sort of executive or owner would potentially want to hand over the keys of a nine figure player to somebody else? Basketball is bad enough in that respect, and as a Bulls fan I abhor the fact that Luol Deng decided to persist in playing for the UK, and if reports are to be believed, that puts me and Bulls management on the same page.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 10):
(Aroldis Chapman....would he play for Cuba?)

Don't think so. Saying that it would be awkward is putting it lightly. Jumping ship to seek asylum during national team road trips is how he defected.

Geezer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:34 am

[quote=Mir,reply=7]Because there's already a big international soccer tournament run every four years, where countries actually send their full squads and not some watered down version. If a sport is going to be in the Olympics, that should be the top level of international competition. For soccer, the Olympics are just simply not bigger than the World Cup. And thus it shouldn't be there.

Same thing for tennis. The Olympics are not bigger than any of the Grand Slam events. So why have it?

-Mir

This is almost as unlikely as getting a gold medal.............Mir and Charley agreeing on the same thing !

Charley

scbriml

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:52 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 11):
Equestrian definitely needs to go. The olympics are meant to be about human acheivement, aren't they? As daft as synchronised swimming and rhythmic gymnastics are they are still impressive feats of human ability rather than a human sitting on something else which actually does all the work.

I don't have a problem with it, it's a widely practiced sport and you can't deny the human skill involved. If you get rid of it, then sailing and possibly pole vault need to go too (on the basis they're not 'man powered'). I presume you don't have an issue with cycling and rowing (all forms) as they're powered by humans?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

us330

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Racewalking. But not because it doesn't take talent, skills, or athleticism. It's because the sport seems impossible to police when its taking place--there are strict rules regarding foot placement, straightening of the leg, etc, and its simply impossible to ensure that all competitors are abiding by these rules all the time.

zanl188

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Synchronized diving...

On the bits I've seen of it the divers don't appear to be synchronized....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

falstaff

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 8):
I always felt that the Olympics should feature 'militarily' important sports.
Equestrian definitely needs to go. The olympics are meant to be about human acheivement

For many years equestrian events were only open to military officers.

Quoting us330 (Reply 16):
Racewalking

when did that become an Olympic event?
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

PlymSpotter

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
Because there's already a big international soccer tournament run every four years, where countries actually send their full squads and not some watered down version. If a sport is going to be in the Olympics, that should be the top level of international competition. For soccer, the Olympics are just simply not bigger than the World Cup. And thus it shouldn't be there.

I disagree, they have rules in place specifically to prevent the Olympics being a repeat of world cup events. A national team with only three players over the age of 23 is a totally different team and therefore game than a world cup match. Equally you could switch the question and ask what the point in having a world cup (inagurated 1930) is when it's been an Olympic sport since 1900.

Equestrian definitely needs to go. The olympics are meant to be about human acheivement, aren't they? As daft as synchronised swimming and rhythmic gymnastics are they are still impressive feats of human ability rather than a human sitting on something else which actually does all the work. If we allow equestrian then to be consistent we should allow other joke 'sports' such as motorsports.

You have clearly never ridden anything competitively if you think there is no human achievement involved.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 15):
I don't have a problem with it, it's a widely practiced sport and you can't deny the human skill involved. If you get rid of it, then sailing and possibly pole vault need to go too (on the basis they're not 'man powered'). I presume you don't have an issue with cycling and rowing (all forms) as they're powered by humans?

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

TW

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Racewalking. But not because it doesn't take talent, skills, or athleticism. It's because the sport seems impossible to police when its taking place--there are strict rules regarding foot placement, straightening of the leg, etc, and its simply impossible to ensure that all competitors are abiding by these rules all the time.

I don't think that jogging for a few steps a couple times during the race will make a big difference.

Take football for example, I have never seen a sport where there are that many people not respecting the rules. Whenever there's a free kick or a corner, all the players are tugging on someone's shirt, which is against the rules and 99% of the time they are not sanctioned for it. Should football also be banned for that reason?

GrahamHill

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):

I understand your point, but those two sports are among the most famous and most played in the world, and it would be weird not have them in the Olympics.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

MD11Engineer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 19):

You have clearly never ridden anything competitively if you think there is no human achievement involved.

Not just competively. I took some horse riding lessons when I was working in Ireland (a supervisor at work cajoled us into it) and I could feel my postrior for weeks until I had the necessary muscles built up. Especially tthe trot is very hard on the male physique, since, if you don´t actively move with the horse, you´ll get your family jewells squashed.
The girls enjoyed to see us guys suffer!

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

PlymSpotter

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 22):
Not just competively. I took some horse riding lessons when I was working in Ireland (a supervisor at work cajoled us into it) and I could feel my postrior for weeks until I had the necessary muscles built up. Especially tthe trot is very hard on the male physique, since, if you don´t actively move with the horse, you´ll get your family jewells squashed.

Been there, done that, got the ice pack  
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 22):
The girls enjoyed to see us guys suffer!

Totally agreed - like, I'm half way through falling off a horse here.... stop laughing and help!

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

slider

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:17 pm

The Olympics have devolved into a load of crap.

Racewalking, trampoline, ribbon twirling...these are not sports.

Meanwhile, one of the most universal sports on the planet--golf--remains unrepresented. I guess it's an exhibition status sport in Brazil in 2016, but it's a terrible indictment of the ridiculous nature of some of these Olympic "sports" that they have nonsensical stuff but omit other important sports.

MD11Engineer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 24):

Many women are into the more artsy stuff, like rhythmic gymnastics, figure skating etc.

For myself, I´m intersted in shooting, but I know that it will bore the mind out of many people. On the other hand I find golf terribly boring and I´m not perticularly interested in people running around a track.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

BlueElephant

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:39 pm

Without incurring the wrath of some of the Americans on this forum...

Basketball.

What's the point. Every single tournament is pretty much designed for the US to win because of the players. I admit that when I was young the dream team with Jordan and Bird, Magic Johnson and the like was fun to watch. Now it just seems unfair.

Even baseball is less one sided.

Any sport that puts all countries on an equal pitch is fun to watch.

rfields5421

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:57 pm

There are some sports which I don't understand.

But I've been very a happy with the coverage by NBC in the US during the daylight hours - showing dozens of sports that the US does not even enter.

I never heard of Team Handball until my wife ask me what it was a few days ago.

And the single canoe racers. There times are impressive - but not as impressive as actually keeping from capsizing the thing.

The BMX races seem a little 'non-Olympic' to me, but they have a healthy international participation.

Sports with a big commercial presence would seem to be out of place to me. But even so, for the folks in the tennis matches, the Olympic medal was a really big deal, even with no money. And congrats to London for having the good sense to use the All England Club at Wimbledon as the venue.

Basketball does seem to be an American dominated sport, but we do seem to have very enthusiastic teams from other nations.

The list of Olympic sports is dynamic - it changes somewhat with each Olympics. My 10 year old grandson told me that Golf will be an Olympic sport in 2016.

Is Tiger Woods going to be too old?

StarAC17

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 13):
Why? We get 162 games of the best players on earth every year, so what's the point of watching some of the same players and some inferior players for two weeks at odd hours? The World Baseball Classic is already a joke. And, there's not a chance in hell that MLB would hold up their season for a couple weeks like the NHL does not to mention that what sort of executive or owner would potentially want to hand over the keys of a nine figure player to somebody else?

I agree that MLB won't stop their season to allow baseball in the Olympics. But if baseball was in it wouldn't be relevant without the best in the world which is why men's soccer gets no attention, also softball was an event but it was pulled in 2004 or 2008.

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 26):
Basketball.

What's the point. Every single tournament is pretty much designed for the US to win because of the players. I admit that when I was young the dream team with Jordan and Bird, Magic Johnson and the like was fun to watch. Now it just seems unfair.

They might pull it in the near future because of that reason. IIRC hockey in the winter games was/is threatened because there are a few nations that always contended for medals and as you say Basketball is more stacked in favour of the US than hockey would be for the Canadians, Russians, Americans etc.

In terms of team sports I would like to see in the Olympics I would add Rugby and Cricket.

Meanwhile, one of the most universal sports on the planet--golf--remains unrepresented. I guess it's an exhibition status sport in Brazil in 2016, but it's a terrible indictment of the ridiculous nature of some of these Olympic "sports" that they have nonsensical stuff but omit other important sports.

It would be easy to do golf, just run it like a PGA tournament across four days. Whether or not you get the stars playing is a different story.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

us330

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:45 pm

Quoting TW (Reply 20):
I don't think that jogging for a few steps a couple times during the race will make a big difference

The difference, though, is the main point of racewalking is that it isn't jogging--it's a specific kind of stride required, or else there is no point to the event. I would counter with comparing someone jogging during racewalking akin to someone using the breaststroke during the butterfly portion of swimming. That person would most certainly be disqualified for using an improper stroke.

Quoting TW (Reply 20):
Should football also be banned for that reason?

See above. And the difference is that the "essence" of soccer isn't impaired by shirt tugging and the like. Now, if you had people constantly dribbling the soccer ball like a basketball, and it went consistently uncalled, then yes, I would be in favor of banning soccer.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 28):
They might pull it in the near future because of that reason

I find it hard to believe, simply because the rest of the world is in fact catching up with the U.S., at least with respect to Men's basketball, and basketball is extremely popular in other countries other than the U.S.. You might have a better argument with women's basketball based on competition--since the idea of possibly ending women's hockey in the olympics was floated about because of U.S.-Canadian dominance--until the shocker of an upset by Sweden over the Americans.

falstaff

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 25):
figure skating

I like to watch figure skating; there are some hot women in that sport.

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 26):
I admit that when I was young the dream team with Jordan and Bird, Magic Johnson and the like was fun to watch. Now it just seems unfair.

Jordan, Ewing and Mullin all won gold in 1984 as amateur players and then Gold in 1992 as pros. Every player on the '84 team ended up in the NBA so that shows that even though they were amateurs at the time they were all NBA caliber players. Good players are good players and they deserve to be Olympics where the best athletes compete.

You could argue that USA Basketball has been unfair since the pros got in the game, but USA Basketball has been winning golds for a long time; 1936, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1976, 1984, 1992, 1996, 2000, and 2008. Most of the Golds were with college players, many of them became NBA stars. The 1972 gold medal game was disputed over a odd call at the whistle and the USA team never claimed their silver medals in protest. The US team only won bronze twice and that was once with pros and once with amateurs; 1988 and 2004. Considering the USA won medals in all those Olympics contests shows that the USA is a basketball powerhouse with without pros.

Rugby and Cricket

Those would be good sports to add. If you added those you would have to have to put baseball back in.

StarAC17

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 30):
Those would be good sports to add. If you added those you would have to have to put baseball back in.

I would like to see it in if MLB could be convinced to stop the season for 17 days to allow the pros to play, heck its a 162 game season so what is taking 15 or so off the schedule once every four years. The NHL does it to their benefit because I reckon many have the hockey buzz after the winter games and will attend NHL games or pay attention because the playoff races begin right after the games. The same could happen for baseball because now the playoff races are heating up.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Aesma

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:37 pm

I find some sports out of place but reading this thread nobody would agree so I say keep them all and even add a lot more, everybody will be happy that way, and games are so expensive these days it wouldn't change much. Allow the games to be country based instead of city based, that way there is less need to build venues.

I'm sorry but golf is far less a sport than the ones you dismiss. No 50 years old guy with a gut can perform remotely well in the first three, unlike golf.

But go ahead put golf in, personally I want skydiving, gliding, paragliding, aerobatics, water-skiing...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MadameConcorde

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 32):
personally I want skydiving, gliding, paragliding, aerobatics, water-skiing...

I want Formula One!

One Olympic F1 race every 4 years being part of the Games.

Tugger

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 33):
I want Formula One!

One Olympic F1 race every 4 years being part of the Games.

Well if understand the Olympic requirements I think they'd have to be peddle cars, but I think it would be great!  

And it would be hilarious to watch! 

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

MadameConcorde

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 34):
I think they'd have to be peddle cars

Yes, we can have them with F1 drivers racing them.
Would be hilarious for sure!

Aesma

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:39 pm

The main problem is that they would need to all have the same car. A GP2 race maybe ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MadameConcorde

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:50 pm

They could still have F1 cars with the same engines (let's say Cosworth) for all the cars. The rest would be like normal F1. It would probably change the game. Imagine HRT, Caterham and/or Marussia drivers on the podium!

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):

All of them.

Preseason football with crappy referees is getting more play in the non-NBC sports media. Plus the largest sports scandal of all time, NBA plates shifting, and time beginning to wind down on baseball season all occurring at the same time only further convinces me of the irrelevance of the Olympics. It's a novelty sold on human interest stories more than sporting events. Most of what goes on belongs more on TMZ than Sportscenter.

Your "Olympics are irrelevant" argument is getting old. Preseason football started two days ago, at a time where the Olympics already began winding down. People care about the Olympics. At work we juggle through the different NBC stations to watch as many event as possible. We watched fencing, table tennis, air rifle, you name it. Walking up to my apartment every evening I can see every TV in every unit tuned into the games. I go out to dinner and the TVs in the restaurant have the Olympics with loud cheers erupting when Phelps and Bolt broke their records. I've had to avoid the Internet and twitter because people are so interested in the Olympics, the found ways to watch the games live and of course tweet the results ecstatically, spoiling it for those who care enough (but can't watch live) to save it all for primetime coverage. NBC has taken a TON grief for their primetime coverage and a few spoiler mistakes. People wouldnt be so upset if they didn't care.

A novelty, yes. But that's why people care. They get sucked into the once-every-four-year hype. The Olympics this year are more popular than I remember in the past.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

falstaff

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 31):

I would like to see it in if MLB could be convinced to stop the season for 17 days to allow the pros to play

I think it would just fine, considering the NHL can get away with it and they don't have nearly the audience that MLB does. I would think a lot of MLB players would be the Olympics too because so many of them are not from the USA. It would look a lot like Olympic hockey with NHL players on teams from a variety of different countries, not just the USA and Canada.

16 countries participated in baseball between 1992 and 2008 and Cuba was the powerhouse, winning three golds.

kingairta

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:28 pm

The cost to the host country has gotten out of hand. One way to cut the cost is to eliminate sports that already have an international commercial championship cut it back to the basics.

bjorn14

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 18):
when did that become an Olympic event?

1908 for men, 1996 for women. 20K for both men and women. 50K for men only.

In terms of team sports I would like to see in the Olympics I would add Rugby

Rugby Sevens have been added for 2016 at Rio.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 30):
Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 33):
I want Formula One!

IOC has already said that the Olympics are for man and/or beast not motorized machines.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

aerdingus

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:18 pm

The human achievement is in the training of these wonderful animals. And the person is not just sitting there, you hardly think the horse is running the show do you? They receive signals from the rider & they work together as a team.
2016: BHX GLA KIR LCY LGW MUC VIE BA EI FR LH OS A320 A321 ATR 42 ATR 72 B738 E190 E195

BMI727

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 38):
Your "Olympics are irrelevant" argument is getting old.

...but it's still true.

Preseason football started two days ago, at a time where the Olympics already began winding down.

...and people were paying attention to training camp before that.

I go out to dinner and the TVs in the restaurant have the Olympics with loud cheers erupting when Phelps and Bolt broke their records.

And yet two weeks from now, 99% of the Olympic athletes could walk into that same restaurant and nobody would notice. Even Phelps basically disappeared except for bong hits and hawking sandwiches.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 39):
I think it would just fine, considering the NHL can get away with it and they don't have nearly the audience that MLB does.

That's part of why they do it. And they don't have the same sort of schedule MLB does, and if they want to extend their season (which they shouldn't) they should just add more games to keep the money.

And it would suck. Would you want players from your favorite team out there playing for a meaningless medal? Teams invest millions of dollars in players and the last thing they need is to let somebody else abuse them for two weeks.

kiwiandrew

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:36 pm

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 42):
The human achievement is in the training of these wonderful animals.

Ok, so on that basis I guess we should have sheep dog trials as an olympic 'sport', shouldn't we? A line has to be drawn somewhere.. for me the olympics are supposed to be about what a human being can do with the power of their own body. For what it's worth, even though it would reduce the medal count for my own country I don't think sailing belongs in the olympics either as it is not human powered.

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 42):
They receive signals from the rider & they work together as a team.

.. but when was the last time you saw the equine part of the team up on the medal podium ?

corocks

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:00 am

From the winter Olympics - curling. How is shuffleboard on ice a 'sport'?

PHX787

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am

Quoting corocks (Reply 45):
From the winter Olympics - curling. How is shuffleboard on ice a 'sport'?

I love curling!!! Its very technical!
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:23 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 43):
Preseason football started two days ago, at a time where the Olympics already began winding down.

...and people were paying attention to training camp before that.

What's your point? A full season of America's most popular sport is approaching. Of course they have been paying attention. How does that take away from the two-week event, the olympics? People can't follow both?

And yet two weeks from now, 99% of the Olympic athletes could walk into that same restaurant and nobody would notice. Even Phelps basically disappeared except for bong hits and hawking sandwiches.

Depends on the athlete. And so what? Are these people supposed to rise to Presidential status or something? How do you expect the Olympics to remain at the forefront of everyone's mind when it's once every four years? Broken up individually, each Olympic sport remains important to those who compete and those who follow them. What makes the Olympics special is that all the various sports come together for one major event. For the athletes, winning gold silver or bronze is the pinnacle of their careers. They dedicate four years of their lives for one thing...going to the Olympics. For the rest of us, seeing them compete is entertainment.

As for the topic at hand, the sports I don't think belong are soccer, tennis and basketball because for these sports, winning the Olympics is not the ultimate achievement. There are bigger, more meaningful tournaments in those sports.

...but it's still true.

Your opinion.

[Edited 2012-08-11 17:39:58]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

sprout5199

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 am

OK, didn't read all the posts, that being said, any sport where the top award is not the Olympics then they need to drop it, I.E. soccer, basketball, et al, I will watch handball(totally different than what I thought handball was, is cool) swimming, diving(even though I think mens diving is gay, but who am I?) Judo was cool. So was women's beach volleyball( my opinion, they need bigger breasts). And the long distance swimming was new to me(they had pit stops) and really captured my attention.
The Olympics need to go back to the roots, no pros, just amateurs, not "state run" factories (dare I say China). I think the best meet I saw was the Iranian weight lifter try to break the world record, you could tell that even though he won with his first attempt, he wanted to go for more, and when he failed, the look was pure disappointment even though he won the gold. And this is coming from a die hard US guy. And I bet he could care less about politics, he just wants to be the best that he can be. There is something to be said about that.
Looking back, that is what the Olympics is all about, If athletes can get along, and show their respect no matter the race, religion, or country, then why can we? Because we are taught that the other guys are bad, end of story.

Dan in Jupiter

BMI727

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:56 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 47):
What's your point?

When even the practice of a popular sport can draw more attention than the top competition of Olympic sports, it means that the Olympic sports are not popular.

But in days past the Olympics were the only chance to see obscure sports, but that's not the case anymore with dozens of channels. The few people that actually want to see those sports can without the multibillion dollar circus. And that's exactly what the Olympics are: a modern day circus.