mirrodie
Topic Author

Wearing A Tie/cravate: Do You, Don't You And Why?

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Worn a neck tie for years, all through grade and high school.

Now running a practice and seeing patients and I have not worn a tie in 10 years. Why? I really don't see the relevance or importance of this totem, a necktie. (And this was before studies suggested that doctors should not wear them to reduce germ transmission risk).

1. So do you wear a tie?

2. Do you feel its necessary to your success in life?

3. If so, why?

Note: I still have a dozen ties to burn or give away if interested!

[Edited 2012-08-17 13:17:29]
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Polot

RE: Wearing A Tie/cravate: Do You, Don't You And Why?

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Quoting mirrodie (Thread starter):
1. So do you wear a tie?

Nope, only when I am giving a talk or meeting with someone very important. Ties really aren't worn in my profession (chemist) other than that.

Nope.

Like you I never really understood the importance of a piece of fabric hanging from your neck. I just find them incredibly annoying and they always seem to get in my way.

DocLightning

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:23 pm

1. So do you wear a tie?

3. If so, why?

In my work, no. 1) My patients are kids and don't really care. 2) Most of my adult patients are dressed in shorts and sandals, etc. 3) A physician's tie is actually a health risk. They have been banned in Australian hospitals (unless it's a bowtie). This is because the tie hangs out in front of the physician and can brush against the patient. A few years ago, a medical student did a very simple study: he swabbed various doctors' ties around his hospital and some very startling and frightening acronyms grew out. MRSA, VRE, MDR-TB, etc. Because we don't tend to wash our ties more than every few months at the dry cleaner's, a tie becomes a fomite, meaning an object that can transmit disease from one patient to the next in a medical setting.

So I wear khakis, a button-down shirt with the top button open, a belt, and glossy leather shoes (easy to clean if I get spat-up/bled/peed/etc. on).

I notice that ties are falling out of favor in a lot of business settings. My husband works for CitiBank and he doesn't wear a tie to work. They're uncomfortable, inconvenient, tend to get caught on things, are a magnet for wayward condiments, and usually go unnoticed.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MD11Engineer

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Normaly only when I have to wear a full suit (funerals, weddings, my girlfriend´s oathtaking ceremony when she became an Irish citizen, job interviews, court appointments etc.). In this case a proper tie with a Windsor knot.
In the Philippines, if I had to attend an occasion like above, I would wear a Barong Tagalog, a thin shirt made of off-white pineapple fibers to be worn above the trousers (black, creased) with a bow tie. Much more comfy in a tropical climate.

I also wear a clip-on (safety) neck tie together with my uniform when I´m on flight duty (white pilot´s shirt with the old British style flight engineer slip-ons (three golden stripes with purple stripes inbetween), plus creased black trousers).
The clip ensures that I wouldn´t strangle myself should the tie get caught in some machinery.

Jan

[Edited 2012-08-17 14:07:18]

[Edited 2012-08-17 14:07:57]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

lewis

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:29 pm

1. So do you wear a tie?

3. If so, why?

I used to wear a tie back in Europe. Our offices in the US are business casual unless there is a meeting at a very formal client. I do not miss them at all. I have only worn one twice, at the company's Christmas party.

I do not feel it is necessary for success, most of the time people wear them because it is company policy and nothing else. I have to say though, if one decides to wear a tie, slim ties are not the ideal option. In my opinion they look tacky in a professional environment.

GrahamHill

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:46 pm

1. So do you wear a tie?

Only when I wear a suit, which is during weddings, burrials and other important family gatherings.

Nope. I work in video games. I can wear shots and t-shirts every day if I want to.

When I meet customers, I usually wear a nice shirt, but that's all. 90% of the time the customers are more badly dressed than I am!
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

Aesma

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:47 pm

I don't like ties, even as a kid I thought about it and concluded they were ridiculous. I own only one that I used for an internship presentation last June (got my degree) and used at job interviews. In fact I'm considering my options between jobs and several of them would be in banks where business casual is only allowed on Fridays (we are 10 years behind the US like often). That's a problem for me because I don't like dressing like that (but could do it for the right amount of money) and it would actually hamper my job (computer/network tech).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

3DoorsDown

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:29 pm

I would never dream of wearing a tie. I hate that choking feeling. I have always felt like I was hung in a former life and anything remotely tight around my neck drives me nuts. Well...even more nuts. T shirts and jeans every day at work. Maybe an occasional polo shirt if I have an important meeting.

ER757

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 5):
Only when I wear a suit, which is during weddings, burrials and other important family gatherings.

Same here. We used to have to wear one to work every day except "casual Friday" but our company dropped that requirement years ago thankfully. Of course, I now have about 30 ties hanging in my closet of which I've worn maybe three in the past five years.

I've noticed that even at weddings these days, lots of folks dress less formally. I am a bit old school in that regard and still put on a suit for such occasions. I also do some public speaking on behalf of a non-profit organization I volunteer for and when I do, I'll wear a tie and sport jacket. Other than that, I don't wear ties anymore.

srbmod

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Not as much as I used to years ago when I worked in a grocery store and I had to wear at shirt and tie when I was a cashier and continued to wear them even after moving to other positions in the store (Mainly because I was too cheap to buy the polo shirts that were the other uniform option as they gave you one for free and additional ones you had to buy. I had a bunch of dress shirts I had bought for work, so I saw no need to buy the polo shirts.). Since I left that job over a dozen years ago, I don't wear a shirt and tie on a regular basis. I can count the number of times in the last 18 months I've worn a tie on one hand and have fingers left and all of those times were within a few days of each other.

I've always tried to keep a couple of dress shirts and ties as well as a suit and a sport coat in my closet at all times because you never know when you may have to pull wear them and having to rush out and buy a suit is never fun. I've got a trip coming up and plan on eating at a few nice restaurants so that gives me an excuse to break out the dressier clothes I don't wear as often.

Several years ago, I finally cleaned out my tie rack, as I had so many ties that were looking a bit dated or were ones I had exclusively worn years back to work and were stained and would not have looked presentable with a suit (The advantage of wearing a work apron was that most of the tie was hidden. Meanwhile in the last 18 months, my tie collection has doubled in size because I had to buy a new suit and sport coat and needed ties that best matched them (as well as some of the shirts I bought).

Even crazier is I own one dress shirt with French cuffs but have a box full of cufflinks, most of them dating back to the 1960s, as they were cufflinks my grandfather had as back then, that was the preferred dress shirt for management types. Some will never be worn, as they are either a bit worn or don't suit my tastes (He liked gold-toned ones, while I prefer silver-toned ones.), but will not be thrown away as they are a link to my grandfather. I think I surprised him and my grandmother a number of years back when I asked them one year at Christmas for a French cuff dress shirt so I could have a dress shirt not used for work.

Aeri28

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:45 pm

When I lived and worked in San Francisco I did. I used to love buying ties and i was known for my flair in them lol.

here in Hawaii, not at all. People look out of place when you see them. You only see them in the court system maybe.

flyingturtle

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:48 pm

1. So do you wear a tie?

No. I've had one tie, and it was given to me for the high school graduation. And I never wore it again.

3. If so, why?

No, because I don't like to work in a job where proper attire is valued higher than my skills. 

I always thought that a tie serves only one purpose, namely as a direction sign to the relevant body part.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Alias1024

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:42 am

I wear it at work. I find the coffee spills blend in much better on the tie than the white pilot shirt. Still, I'd rather get rid of it.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Ken777

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:22 am

I wore a coat or suit with a tie for years.

I actually enjoyed the coats because it provided more pockets than just a simple shirt. I still wear a blazer when traveling, just for the extra pockets.

For some years I would even weary a tie when flying as it gave me a free upgrade a few times.

These days I have a few simple patterned ties. Red for summer, maroon for winter and one yellow one for summer day time. Only time worn this year was at a funeral for a friend's mother.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 2):
They're uncomfortable, inconvenient, tend to get caught on things, are a magnet for wayward condiments, and usually go unnoticed.

I learned many years ago that the cause of discomfort with a tie is that the collar is too tight. If your shirt collar is around 1" greater than your neck (after it has been washed and dried 3 or more times then the tie can fit easily and isn't a pain - until you spill something on it.

ScarletHarlot

Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:13 am

1. No
2. No
3. Because I'm a girl  
But that was when I ruled the world

rwessel

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:26 am

Quoting 3DoorsDown (Reply 7):
I would never dream of wearing a tie. I hate that choking feeling. I have always felt like I was hung in a former life and anything remotely tight around my neck drives me nuts. Well...even more nuts.

That means your shirt doesn't fit.

zippyjet

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:33 am

Neckties are the most useless piece of BS out there. They constrict one's breathing and if you work around machinery like at an airport on the ramp or ticket counters there's always the danger of that damn tie getting caught in moving machinery. Our uniform
FL used to mandate wearing a neck tie. One of the positive things about becoming part of the "Swalife" is tie optional. Very few wear them. We can thank the French and the Chinese for coming up with them. Another reason to dislike the French and another strike against China!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Braybuddy

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:17 am

Only ever wear them for semi-formal or formal occasions although I used to enjoy wearing them more years ago when they were more popular. A shirt and tie can make a man look very smart, but don't take my word for it, ask women!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/chat/t-10229616/index.html

http://thirtymag.com/30-mens-fashion...hat-make-women-take-a-second-look/

An awful lot of heterosexual men don't seem to realise this, otherwise we'd be seeing a lot more of them wearing shirts and ties. A man wearing a well-cut suit, shirt and tie can appear successful and powerful, and shows that he cares about his appearance, all of which can appeal to a woman. In much the same way that a uniform can appeal to a woman (and gay men too), a suit, shirt and tie can act as a uniform of sorts and has an undoubted certain sex appeal.

melpax

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:22 am

Only wear one rarely, usually only if I feel like wearing one to work for a change, or if I have an important meeting (job interview, meeting with senior exces, etc). We haven't got an offical dress code where I work (government department), but common sense applies. Most folks wear smart causal, but management & those who are out in the field doing audits are expected to dress professionaly. I normally wear a suit with a dress shirt & cufflinks, much cheaper buying 2-3 good suits a year when the sales are on than buying lots of casual stuff for work.

Though I have been noticing in the past year or so that there seems to be a lot more people wearing the full suit & tie when heading to work on the train in the mornings, A lot of firms here have ditched their casual dress policies, including the casual Fridays & have returned to a full business dress code.

[Edited 2012-08-18 04:30:09]
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

MadameConcorde

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:30 pm

I hope no Concorde ties will go burned!

Wow!

I find a tie can look really smart. I like a bow tie also.

A younger Bryan Ferry wearing in a white suit with a bow tie.
http://media-cache0.pinterest.com/up...ad/150659550004524014_7UfRQKKQ.jpg

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Braniff747SP

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:09 pm

I'd like to, but I can't. I go to uniform school that does not have a suit and tie uniform. I wish it did... I'm not asking for Eton tails, but I'd rather wear that than the polos I need to wear now.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

na

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:55 pm

1. So do you wear a tie?
3. If so, why?

1. Fortunately I dont have to wear a tie in my profession. No one would ever ask a designer to wear a tie, unless meeting the top management of a client, and then not even everywhere. But sometimes I like to wear a tie, like when going to the opera or on a cruise. But only when its not hot.
2. No.
3. In certain jobs you have no choice. If I would wear a tie on a normal meeting people would wonder why. My clients also dont wea tie on a normal business day.

I think its a pain and even ridiculous to wear a tie, or even only a suit when its 30 degrees and more outside like these days in Germany. That said conventions in dress have a good side too. Imagine how many people more would walk around badly dressed!

ER757

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:59 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 14):
3. Because I'm a girl  

Good one!  

Tell you what - if we ever have another a.nuts Seattle meet, I'll wear one for the occasion. I can use it to wipe off the grease from the fried chicken  

ScarletHarlot

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 22):
Tell you what - if we ever have another a.nuts Seattle meet, I'll wear one for the occasion. I can use it to wipe off the grease from the fried chicken

Love it, Bob! And we can use it to shoo away the yellow jackets too.  
But that was when I ruled the world

HAWK21M

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Depends on the occassion.
if its not formal...no.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

WestJet747

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:41 pm

1. So do you wear a tie?

All the time. I love wearing a tie, and will jump at any chance to do so.

Unlike many people who feel that ties "choke" them, I've always felt very comfortable in a tie. More-so, I just really like how they look. They exude a sense of power and confidence.

3. If so, why?

In some situations, yes. At my current job, I work with on a team that is mostly comprised of software developers (I'm one of the few who isn't) so there is no requirement for me to dress professionally. In fact, many of my colleagues walk around in tshirts, cargo shorts, and sandals. I don't conform to their dress though, because my Dad always brought me up to "dress for the job you want, not the job you have".

One area where I find formal attire to be critical is the business competitions I attend. I'm sure if I strolled into a presentation looking too casual it would definitely hurt my scores.

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 16):
They constrict one's breathing

Then I can only assume that one isn't wearing it properly.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 17):
A man wearing a well-cut suit, shirt and tie can appear successful and powerful, and shows that he cares about his appearance, all of which can appeal to a woman.

Flying refined.

zippyjet

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:54 am

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 25):
Then I can only assume that one isn't wearing it properly.

If you have a thick beefy neck like myself, ties are the bane of our existance!

Braybuddy

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:07 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 26):
If you have a thick beefy neck like myself, ties are the bane of our existance!

Why would the size of your neck make any difference to a properly tied knot?

zippyjet

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:16 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 27):
Why would the size of your neck make any difference to a properly tied knot?

Because I was always told the knot has to be as tight as possible; loose ties looked sloppy. A necktie to me is one of the most frivelous BS accessories ever invented. Shame on you France and China for coming up with this device of torture!

AlnessW

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:30 am

1. So do you wear a tie?

Yes, depends on the occasion. I do like wearing ties, but never at school or at my summer job (a lot of guys in our office wear shorts and t-shirts), but for more formal occasions, or if I'm meeting new/important people, then absolutely. Job interviews, auditions, formal gatherings, any place where first impressions are important.

Another time I wear a tie is whenever I fly someplace. Most/all people think that this is crazy/dumb/unnecessary/weird/stupid, but I don't agree. Flying is and always will be special to me. I also get annoyed whenever I see people wearing ratty t-shirts, torn jeans, or pajamas/sweatpants when they travel, so I want to differentiate myself from that crowd. Furthermore, being a teenager, I find that I actually get better treatment when I wear a suit and tie. Often times people compliment me on it. First impressions really do matter.

Yes.

3. If so, why?

Like I've said before, I truly believe that first impressions are really critical.

I never really understood why people hate wearing ties so much.

(Edited for grammar.)

[Edited 2012-08-18 20:54:46]

Braybuddy

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:43 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 28):
Because I was always told the knot has to be as tight as possible; loose ties looked sloppy. A necktie to me is one of the most frivelous BS accessories ever invented. Shame on you France and China for coming up with this device of torture!

What sort of knot were you using? A Windsor knot will hold the tie firmly in place, while still keeping a space between the knot and neck. You can tie it as tightly or as loosely as you like.

Maybe you should move to Iran, where the sale of ties is banned (although in principle this is often ignored) as they are considered to be un-Islamic and a symbol of Western decadence. You'll never see Ahmadinejad wearing one, nor any of Iran Air's pilots, which, I have to say, does look a bit odd when they are wearing full uniform.

zippyjet

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:52 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 30):

Doing Iran would be a little bit odd for me as I'm Jewish   

And Windsor knots were considered di-regeur from the 1980's onward. My beloved dad was a proponent of Windsor knots. At work (a Sheraton back in the 80's) the Gay male fashionistas never let me hear the end of it. Windsor Knots are so 1974! I told this to my dad who was not amused when I eschewed the Windsor knot.

comorin

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:54 am

Ties and scarves are also dangerous - my Dad's tie once got caught as he slammed the car door close. Luckily he yelled and the car stopped. Imagine if he had been a mime...

I think a fail is when you don't wear a tie with a suit and you still button you collar like The Hon. Mr. Ahmadinejad. GQ would be upset!

Another related sartorial no-no is not wearing an undershirt with a white shirt.

zippyjet

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:58 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 32):
Another related sartorial no-no is not wearing an undershirt with a white shirt.

Excuse me! That is a Zippyjet fashionista trend setter!

Actually, during the killer heat, I do wear a wife beater under my white shirts due to perspiration. And also in the winter. Otherwise when it's cold and windy my nips get dry and irritated. Once, during that cold winter when we had Snowmageddon, I ran out of clean wife beaters so, I grabbed a tee shirt that said Yo Quiero Taco Bell with the Chihuahua on it. I was a fashion icon that day at work (BWI) with FL.

Braybuddy

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:00 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 31):
Doing Iran would be a little bit odd for me as I'm Jewish

Iran has the largest Jewish population in the Middle East, after Israel, of course, so you'd have no problem there!

Windsor Knots are so 1974! I

Well if you believe that you can always look on them as part of the '70s revival  
Ties and scarves are also dangerous - my Dad's tie once got caught as he slammed the car door close

You can always wear a clip-on!

stasisLAX

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:11 am

I wear a tie everyday that I am on-site at a client's location - and dress slacks and a blazer too. As a training consultant, I am paid to provide a professional "product" and, unless I am told specifically that the client's location/site has a business casual dress code, I wear the "uniform" (tie, pressed shirt, dress slacks, blazer or even a business suit, SOCKS, and shined dress shoes).

Sometimes the "regular" employees of my clients look rather under-dressed - but my boss looks at the situation as it's better for us (as consultants) to be overdressed for a client visit than undressed. Regardless, my boss (female) ALWAYS looks like a million bucks, and it's our corporate "culture" to look as polished and professional as possible. The old cliche "if you look like a professional, you will act like a professional and be treated like a professional" is alive and well in my profession.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

WestJet747

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:46 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 28):
Because I was always told the knot has to be as tight as possible; loose ties looked sloppy.

A proper knot should be tight, but with the appropriate slack so that you don't get that choking feeling. Sure it may take a few tries before you get it right, but it's worth it.

And Windsor knots were considered di-regeur from the 1980's onward. My beloved dad was a proponent of Windsor knots. At work (a Sheraton back in the 80's) the Gay male fashionistas never let me hear the end of it. Windsor Knots are so 1974! I told this to my dad who was not amused when I eschewed the Windsor knot.

Was it a Double Windsor? As far as I know it's still fashionably acceptable. Everyone I know (including myself) still uses it.

my Dad's tie once got caught as he slammed the car door close.

You should get your Dad a nice tie bar for his birthday  

Guilty as charged.

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 35):
it's better for us (as consultants) to be overdressed for a client visit than undressed
"if you look like a professional, you will act like a professional and be treated like a professional"

Flying refined.

comorin

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:46 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 33):

Excuse me! That is a Zippyjet fashionista trend setter!

I stand humbled  

Hopefully you wore your Taco Bell T-shirt under your shirt   

Kiwirob

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:27 am

I wear a suit and tie whenever visiting customers, or attending trade shows. In the office I wear jeans and a t-shirt, in summer I can get away with shorts and t-shirt, when I was working in NZ it was always suit and tie except on casual Fridays.

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 16):
We can thank the French and the Chinese for coming up with them. Another reason to dislike the French and another strike against China!

Here's the origin of the modern necktie, the Croatian cravat, as worn by Croatian soldiers in service with the French during the 30 years war. Parisian society thought they were pretty nifty and started wearing them.

Geezer

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:34 am

In my "profession" I can wear anything I so desire, up to, and including my "undies" and a ball cap; ( always with the "bill" facing forward )

Seriously though, even though I very rarely have an occasion to really need to wear a dress shirt and tie, I do keep a half dozen or so suits and sport coats in my closet for the occasional wedding or funeral I'm obliged to attend.

The one place I do always wear a suit and tie is when we go to the symphony or to a ballet; in this instance it's mainly because most of the people there dress that way. ( And I like to "blend in". )

Inasmuch as we're discussing how people are required to dress in certain places..........I recently had an all-time embarrassing "situation" which related to "dress code"; I was required to attend a court hearing, and I was the defendant. I had to drive 200 miles to get there, and as the hearing was at 8:30 am, I drove there the night before and stayed at my daughter's house. The weather had been in the high 90's and 100 + for a while, so I only wore some nice shorts and a golf shirt; just as my daughter and I walked into the court house, it suddenly occurred to me..........you can't wear shorts into a court room, even as a visitor, and I was the defendant ! Drat ! What to do ? No time to run and buy some trousers......so I told the lady who was some sort of "assistant" to the court, my "situation"'; I explained that not only do I not have any trousers, but also that I had just recently misplaced BOTH of my hearing aids, and I'm about 85% "deaf as a doornail" without them ! She: "Not to worry ! She led me into a small "holding room" just off of the court room where they "hold" prisoners that are awaiting their turn to "appear"; there was a large box of bright orange black and and white striped "convict" pants ! She told me to grab a pair and put them on quickly, as the judge was about to enter the court room; I literally had to grab the first pair off the top........a pair of 48 inch waist, black and white striped convict pants, (with 2 inch wide, alternating B and W stripes around them ! ) BTW, I have a 34 in. waist, so it required one hand to hold the damned things up. Then she came in with a set of ear phones ! Great big, "ear-muff" style ear phones, with a battery powered amplifier, which required the other hand to hold.

This all happened in like 2 minutes ! The judge walks in, ( an extraordinarily nice middle age lady ), takes one look at me, ( I could detect a trace of "pity" and "humor" in her look ) and she says to me..............where's your attorney ?

Me: I don't have an attorney, your honor; She: Why not ? Me; Uh.....welll, uh.....I'm too poor, and I don't think I need one. She: After reading this "brief" (or what ever she called it), she said...........I think you very definitely need an attorney ! This case is hereby "continued" till Sept ( I forget what day )

I think I may wear a suit and tie when I return.............

Charley

[Edited 2012-08-19 02:41:52]
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

MD11Engineer

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:31 am

The old cliche "if you look like a professional, you will act like a professional and be treated like a professional" is alive and well in my profession.

Whenever I´m attached to a flight crew and have to work outside Europe, I wear uniform with the old flight engineer´s stripes. The reason is that in many places in Africa and Asia you are not taken seriously by the local staff if you appear wearing jeans, shorts and T-shirt and are even likeable to be arrested or get into trouble with immigration if you don´t look like what they imagine flight crew looks like.
If it gets dirty I always have a boilersuit in my bag, which I can put on to cover the uniform.
Even in the UK and Ireland many licenced engineers and other airport staff wear creased black trousers and white shirts with ties to work.
The tie is a part of the uniform, though in Khartoum, Sudan, I wore open necked. But I think we were excused because we had 50°C on the ramp.

Another thing is that in many poorer countries looks are very important. An example: The family of my Missus originally came from a squatter area (slum) in the Philippines, but due to her father´s hard work and dedication they managed to improve and to move out of this area into a nice house in a much nice neighbourhood across the highway.
Still she has friends and relatives in her old neighbourhood. Two years ago, when we were there for a visit over Christmas, I was asked if I could sponsor a christmas party for the kids in this squatter area, which I agreed to do (I gave a certain amount of money to my sister in law, who then organised the party with the women in the slum. They cooked a huge pot of spaghetti, which they distributed on cardboard plates, plus each child received a slice of cake as a dessert and a can of orange juice. Then from the leftover money they bought a small toy for kid and rented a sound system and organised games for the children. I´ve been sending money over to the place for this party ever since.
Of course we were invited to the party, which took place in the squatter area´s basketball court.
My Missus put on a nice dress and myself went there in pressed khakis anda pressed polo shirt.
The people in the slum likewise put on their best clothes, which might have been just a pair of shorts anjd a T-shirt, but these clothes were also clean and ironed. If we would have appeared there in too casual dress, they would have thought that we were taking the p#ss and were making fun of them.

Jan

Revelation

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 5):
When I meet customers, I usually wear a nice shirt, but that's all. 90% of the time the customers are more badly dressed than I am!

Right, but since they are customers, that should be to your advantage unless you are exceedingly over-dressed.

In fact, many of my colleagues walk around in tshirts, cargo shorts, and sandals. I don't conform to their dress though, because my Dad always brought me up to "dress for the job you want, not the job you have".

I'm not at all upwardly mobile at this phase of my career, but I do tend to dress a half step above what you are describing, which is the standard dress of most of my youngest co-workers. I'll have a polo shirt with a collar rather than a t-shirt, traditional khaki shorts rather than nylon cargo shorts with pockets everywhere, etc. That seems to be the dress code of most of the ones in their 30s and above.

One manager is a huge fan of soccer/football, so he has an endless collection of either local youth soccer shirts (he's a coach), or shirts of various national or professional teams. He wears them with athletic shorts and shoes. Personally I think it lets him down a bit, but not enough to matter.

it's better for us (as consultants) to be overdressed for a client visit than undressed.

Was that a slip, or does she actually use the word undressed?  
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

comorin

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 40):

MD11, you bring up a good point. Dressing up is also a mark of respect to those we meet, socially or in business. It is always better to err on the formal side, I find.

btw kudos to you and your wife on your Philippines party.!

MD11Engineer

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 42):
btw kudos to you and your wife on your Philippines party.!

Well, the parents there often don´t have the money to buy gifts for the kids. My Missus told me that when she was a girl, her parents never had the money for luxuries like birthday parties etc.. But there was always enough food around and the parents managed to get all eight kids through college, and several of them have good jobs now.

For me it isn´t that much money, but it is fun. Another side effect is that I can walk through this neighbourhood and be completely safe (normally strangers, especially from abroad, are looked at with distrust). Quite the contrary. If I walk past the local Sari Sari store (corner store) I most likely get invited for a beer. ("Hello, Jan! Kumusta ka? Lingkud mo! Gusto mo ug beer?")

Jan

comorin

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 43):

In the US, we'd call you a real "Mensch"!   

I have been in India the last few months and have found that the smallest act of kindness is so appreciated, as is respect for the dignity of the person. Poor or rich, we are all floating in the same boat, some of us luckier than others...

B777LRF

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:44 pm

I work for a company of around 150K people. The old boss used to wear a tie, and when I started everybody in management did, so I did too. New boss, however, has only been seen wearing a tie once: Handing out a price at the Turkish(?) GP a couple of years ago, as representative of the sponsor. The company went tie-less rather quickly, apart from a few old duffers who hang on to their "uniforms", except for very formal occasions.

For that reason I have a tie, a very nice Salvatore Ferragamo if I may say so, in my drawer. Last time it saw daylight must have been year and a half ago. Sometimes I wear a suit, mainly because I do have a few nice ones that I like to wear from time to time. And it's become quite acceptable to wear a suit and no tie, perhaps even bordering on being fashionable. But most of the time it's khaki's and a shirt, brown or black shoes and a matching belt. Polo, jeans and loafers on fridays.

As a rule I never wear a tie in private, and except for at my fathers funeral that rule hasn't been broken yet.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

neutrino

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:13 pm

I have over ten dozens of them boxed up since the last half dozen years.  

I started owning and wearing ties in my early military days while transiting my teen years. The reason was to be different to divert the Military Police's ever eager attention on hair length.

Back then, in engineering support, we lived in off-base quarters and were driven to and from the OPS squadrons every workday. Over time, our hair grew to way beyond regulation length but our bosses who were foreign advisers placed more importance on work quality than personal grooming. Under their protection and escort into & out of base, the MPs could not touch us. But years later, the foreign experts left when they came to the end of their contract, and we were given a choice to live on base or go home everyday (in civilian clothes). I chose the latter, and so to protect my longer than usual hair, I took to wearing ties with fully pressed shirts & pants when passing through the gates.

Being so outstandingly dressed compared the t-shirt & jeans crowd, I was able to make the MPs wonder about my position and therefore able to "escape" being hauled up for a regimental haircut. I also had a jacket with me and when things look hotter at the gate at times, I would also put it on, thereby upping the "wonder" factor.
After military life, I continued to wear my ties at work - though not fully compulsory - as I was used to them.

Decades later, my tastes change and I gave up the ties altogether; hence they currently don't see the light of day.
Now, even on formal occasions when it was explicitly stated, I would instead settle on mandarin collared shirts & jackets (sometimes with a scarf or muffler draped over my neck) to bypass the dress code. It is chic & stylish and I can also choose to unbutton the collar whenever I feel like it). It worked all the time and again made me stand out, though in a reverse way compared to my early adult life.

Once when I was attending a major charity function which was graced by the nation's President as the Guest of Honour, I actually caught that VVIPs's eye towards the tail end of the event. He had already greeted and talked to all the worthies and spying someone unusual in the thinning crowd, he sautered over to shake my hand and engage in a little triffling conversation.   

edit to put in this link to mandarin collared shirt/jacket:
http://www.shanghaitang.com/shop/Men...t-with-Mandarin-collar-919-66.html

[Edited 2012-08-19 09:20:46]
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

AviRaider

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:21 pm

I don't wear ties to work but I do wear them with a suit for formal church events, weddings, funerals, etc. I like wearing ties, it makes just about anyone look good wearing them, well if done properly, and it gives me a sense of confidence. I have about 10 neckties and one semi-formal bowtie. Honestly, I'm really starting to like the wear of a bowtie, it looks good and you don't have to worry about it dangling down and looking disheveled. However, bowties take longer to master, takes a bit of practice. As a kid, I hated wearing ties because they always seemed to choke me, but it wasn't until I started buying dress shirts that were fit to my neck size that ties became comfortable. Your dress shirt collar should be snug but loose enough to fit a finger or two into to. If you are having trouble buttoning that top button, that means your shirt collar isn't the right size; your top button, on a properly fit shirt, should button as easily as any other button.

mirrodie
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:39 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 19):

I hope no Concorde ties will go burned!

Absolutely not! But you'll be glad to know I never owned one! Only Concorde cufflinks, seats and other Concorde items. The cufflinks are rather smart and still inspire rave reviews.

Quoting ER757 (Reply 22):
, I'll wear one for the occasion. I can use it to wipe off the grease from the fried chicken  

Now there, IMHO, it would make perfect sense to wear and have a tie.

because my Dad always brought me up to "dress for the job you want, not the job you have".

While well-intended, I don't feel that the case anymore in the US.

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 29):
3. If so, why?

Like I've said before, I truly believe that first impressions are really critical.

No hate here, just that I find them completely unnecessary. I still keep a few on hand for special occasions, bondage, etc. ...

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 30):
A Windsor knot will hold the tie firmly in place

Funny but I do have one pet peeve. If you are going to wear a tie, a Windsor knot is mandatory. Learn how to properly tie a knot if you are going to bother wearing one!

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 40):
Another thing is that in many poorer countries looks are very important.

Again, I agree. In the US, look we just saw that the most valuable company in the stock market began with a guy in a black turtleneck and jeans. But in poorer countries, I do feel its valued more. Good point!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

lewis

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:47 am

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 29):

Because we have the choice not to! (Sorry - had to!)

Seriously though, I used to wear a tie and a full suit when I worked at the European firm. Working so many hours with a leash around your neck and taking extra care not to make it dirty from a pen, food, coffee is just something I (and other people) would rather not be doing. I'd rather be presentable and comfortable at the same time.

I do appreciate first impressions but such impressions can be completely fake and shallow. We screen people based on who they are at my job, not what they wear - unless it is something totally inappropriate.