ATTart
Topic Author

Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.)Claims That Victims Of "legi

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) Claims that victims of "legitimate rape" rarely get pregnant.

There is also a video of him being interview, making this claim.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1807381.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

[Edited 2012-08-19 14:46:26]
Remember: When someone talks behind your back, it only means you're two steps ahead of them!

Ken777

RE: Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.)Claims That Victims Of "legi

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:54 pm

I read that on WaPo, along with his feeble attempt to backtrack.

It reminded me of the old saying - "If men had babies abortion would be a Constitutional Right". Todd Akin is simply your basic idiot looking to stick his nose in the uterus as a way to get votes. The most conservative women I have known over the years generally take a position of keeping politician's noses out of their uteruses. It really makes them angry - sufficiently so to respond in the voter's booth.

Pity that the GOP is stuck with a yo-yo like Todd Akin. I thought the party would have had something better.

Dreadnought

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:55 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 1):
Pity that the GOP is stuck with a yo-yo like Todd Akin. I thought the party would have had something better.

That is part of the Tea Party platform - getting the GOP out of the whole abortion issue at the national level as well as a lot of other contentious issues, like gay rights. Pity you guys always paint them as "extremists".
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

mt99

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:05 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 2):
That is part of the Tea Party platform - getting the GOP out of the whole abortion issue at the national level as well as a lot of other contentious issues, like gay rights. Pity you guys always paint them as "extremists".

This is not as much as an "Abortion" issue. Its more of a "Stupidity" issue - for or against abortion it doest matter - This guy is an idiot.

If he really believes his statement - do you think that he is capable of fulling understanding other issues?
Step into my office, baby

DeltaMD90

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:10 am

Well assuming this quote doesn't have some logical context (don't have time to read the whole article now) it's a pretty dumb thing to say IMO, even from someone who is against abortion. It does nothing to help the cause, even if there is some truth to it (I've heard something like this before, rather not go into details about it, but I'd NEVER use that argument in an abortion debate)
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

ltbewr

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:26 am

Perhaps this is his way to get a ban on abortificant/emergency birth control drugs that may be used by women who are raped/sexually assaulted. To this jerk to him rape is when some is attacked by a stanger in a dark alley. No woman want's to bore a child the product of a rape. One thing that turns me off to modern Republcans how they want to be in
your 'bedroom' and not in the 'boardroom'.

Mir

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:36 am

I'm struggling to figure out how there is more than one type of rape. I always thought rape was rape, but I suppose I was wrong - there's legitimate rape, and then there's another kind (illegitimate rape, I suppose, though I have no idea what that is).

That is part of the Tea Party platform - getting the GOP out of the whole abortion issue at the national level as well as a lot of other contentious issues, like gay rights.

And yet Akin played up his Tea Party credentials in the GOP primary.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 am

That is part of the Tea Party platform - getting the GOP out of the whole abortion issue at the national level as well as a lot of other contentious issues, like gay rights.

That made me laugh out loud. While it may have began as an economic movement, the practical application of the 'tea party' today is 'as conservative as you can possibly be'.

Why don't you go look at some races and see the nitty gritty on the 'tea party supported' candidates. Then come back and say this again with a straight face.

[Edited 2012-08-19 17:42:40]
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

D L X

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:14 am

Utter baloney.

Exhibit 1: Michele Bachmann.

us330

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:33 am

In what way? What do you mean by "out of" the issue?

Based on the data in this article, http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...d2a13e249eb2_story.html?tid=pm_pop , the Tea Partiers still want the GOP in on the gay rights issue.

Ken777

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:55 am

Pity you guys always paint them as "extremists".

I don't know if "extremists" is the best term. I'm far from impressed when I see them wrapped in the Flag, I consider them potentially dangerous with their obsession of cutting spending and deteriorating the nation's tax revenues. Some times you see some reality in their words, like when they discover that there will be significant cuts to Defense, bit I simply don't trust them on the financial side. And, as an old Vet, I am very tired of them wearing our flag like it makes them special, or right in their rantings. It's pathetic.

{Rant Over}

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):

I'm struggling to figure out how there is more than one type of rape. I always thought rape was rape, but I suppose I was wrong - there's legitimate rape, and then there's another kind (illegitimate rape, I suppose, though I have no idea what that is).

Maybe a legitimate rape is one where the victim gets pregnant and the right wing nuts make her a victim AGAIN by trying to force her to carry to term. Maybe those right wing nuts will pass a law (with full funding) to take care of babies born because of legitimate rapes. Take care of them for life. That is the dollar price they need to cover, especially when those babies have significant problems and end up with special needs.

{Next Rant Over}

Dreadnought

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:16 am

Quoting us330 (Reply 9):
Based on the data in this article, http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...d2a13e249eb2_story.html?tid=pm_pop , the Tea Partiers still want the GOP in on the gay rights issue.

I think you mis-read the data In regards to the TP, they are simply not interested. If I were a congressman, and a vote came up on gay rights, I would probably abstain. I just don't give a crap. As for abortion, I think it should be legal, but as a state issue, so unless it's for a vote on a constitutional amendment, I'd probably abstain as well.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

seb146

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:32 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 11):
In regards to the TP, they are simply not interested

TP is very interested VERY interested in gay rights. They do not ever want the gays to have equal rights. Ever. They don't ever want gays to be able to sign contracts.

Back on topic: this guy is an idiot. And has no idea how a woman's body works. Why is the far right so interested in getting government out of our lives and out of our hospitals but wants the government in every woman's uterus?
Life in the wall is a drag.

Ken777

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:07 am

If I were a congressman, and a vote came up on gay rights, I would probably abstain.

Which, in today's world would be a vote against those rights.

As for abortion, I think it should be legal, but as a state issue,

Anytime you push for "state rights" you dilute the concept of Equal Protection Under The Law. That has long been a major issue for me as I consider myself an American, regardless of the state I was born in or currently live in.

seb146

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:06 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 12):
They don't ever want gays to be able to sign contracts.

Edit: Even at the state level. Ever.

DocLightning

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:54 am

I call bull. This "Tea Party" that you keep describing is at very wide variance to the actual Tea Party that exists in the U.S. at the present time.

In actuality, 100% of "Tea Party" candidates and politicians have supported DOMA (or stricter laws) and opposed abortion. I can't find a single exception.

So if you don't like those politics, then you should stop being part of the Tea Party, because it is not at all what you describe.

I think you mis-read the data In regards to the TP, they are simply not interested. If I were a congressman, and a vote came up on gay rights, I would probably abstain. I just don't give a crap.

So you then passively oppose civil rights for fellow citizens because you can't be bothered to do something active about them? That's low, really. The 14th Amendment clearly makes civil rights a federal issue. So what are you saying is "I want a Constitutional Government... unless the Constitution is inconvenient."

As for mis-reading the data, 94% of TPers oppose gay marriage. Think it should be illegal. That's worse than "Religious Values Voters."

So there are these inconvenient things called "numbers." You can either "interpret" the question in your own way or dismiss the Washington Post of being some liberal shill. Or you can maybe-evaluate the reality of what the Tea Party really is about social issues, because the Tea Party is even more socially conservative than it is fiscally conservative.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

bjorn14

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:40 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 12):
Why is the far right so interested in getting government out of our lives and out of our hospitals but wants the government in every woman's uterus?

Because they believe that those living fetuses have the same rights as those living outside the womb.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:57 am

Until they come out, then they'll rail against money to their mothers with welfare, entitlements, whatever. And they'll try to make damn sure no gay (or even single) person could ever adopt them. Then they'll view the usually unwed mothers as some sort of unholy whores to be frowned upon. And they'll then decry any sort of family unit not construed as their mom and pop Christian fantasyland to be consummately un-American. And around we go.

[Edited 2012-08-20 01:59:36]
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Mir

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:01 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 16):
Because they believe that those living fetuses have the same rights as those living outside the womb.

You cannot compare an infant to a non-viable fetus. It just doesn't work.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

bjorn14

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:04 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 18):
non-viable fetus

This is the slippery slope we are on. When the abortion debate began in earnest in the early 70's viability was approx. 7 or 8 months. Now it could be as little as 4 months. My niece was born prematurely at 5 months and now she is a happy, healthy physically above average 10 year-old. Fetus is just a name given for where you are in the human development cycle. Like infant, toddler, teenager, etc.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

DocLightning

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:07 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 19):
This is the slippery slope we are on. When the abortion debate began in earnest in the early 70's viability was approx. 7 or 8 months. Now it could be as little as 4 months. My niece was born prematurely at 5 months and now she is a happy, healthy physically above average 10 year-old. Fetus is just a name given for where you are in the human development cycle. Like infant, toddler, teenager, etc.

I think that a small mass of cells that hasn't even implanted yet is not a viable fetus.

And I think I know a lot more about the subject than you do.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Quokkas

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:30 am

they believe that those living fetuses have the same rights as those living outside the womb.

You mean, none?

Why is it that some of the people who are up in arms about the "rights of the unborn" and about the "right to life" are so often opposed to the right to the "means of life" and are quite happen to deprive the living of the "right to life" by bombing them? They will disapprove of aid packages to provide safe, clean water but happily sign off on aid to provide arms and weaponry.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

FlyPNS1

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 am

I think you mis-read the data In regards to the TP, they are simply not interested. If I were a congressman, and a vote came up on gay rights, I would probably abstain. I just don't give a crap. As for abortion, I think it should be legal, but as a state issue, so unless it's for a vote on a constitutional amendment, I'd probably abstain as well.

That may be how you feel, but that doesn't represent the bulk of the Tea Party. I would argue that without the social conservatives, the Tea Party would struggle to survive. The social conservatives are using the Tea Party as a vehicle to push their social agenda against gay marriage, abortion, etc. I would argue that hill-billies like this Akin can give a lot of credit to the Tea Party for their political survival.

casinterest

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Quoting ATTart (Thread starter):
Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) Claims that victims of "legitimate rape" rarely get pregnant.

There is also a video of him being interview, making this claim

Well it is very sad that someone is this ignorant. But what is worse, is that he sits on the House's Science and Space Tecnhology sub-committees.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

ATTart
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Here, is Rick Santorum's view on abortion in case of rape or incest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-hvk9274po

Michele Bachmann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvMeslMn8zs
Remember: When someone talks behind your back, it only means you're two steps ahead of them!

seb146

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:01 pm

No. The "tea party people" believe with all their might that every fetus should be saved period. No matter how that fetus came to be. Once that fetus leaves the womb, it becomes a burden on society and is to be shunned. They love life conception to birth. After that, die quickly because no one wants to care for you. It says that in the Bible, apparently. That is exactly how these "tea party people" think and act.

connies4ever

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:09 pm

The GOP had some decent spin on the 24 hour cycle with the Paul Ryan selection. And myself, even as a liberal (and proudly so), have to concede that Rep. Ryan presents himself well. Even though his thoughts on policy are, to say the least, complex, I think overall he is probably Romney's best option.

But you have to love the Republicans, since during this honeymoon phase along comes Akin and makes the whole outfit look like yahoos. The female independent vote is not going to be pleased, and they are an important sector the GOP wants to court.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

casinterest

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 25):
They love life conception to birth. After that, die quickly because no one wants to care for you. It says that in the Bible, apparently. That is exactly how these "tea party people" think and act.

They love it so much that Christian Churches and schools fire folks that have babies out of wedlock, therefore taking away resources needed for the survival of those babies, that are so important.

Newark727

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:23 pm

As for abortion, I think it should be legal, but as a state issue

Someone explain to me how this isn't a gigantic dodge. It doesn't make sense, no matter what side of the issue you take. If you're pro-life, yes, that means states can take care of it for you, but it also means that the states that don't have free rein to let their citizens take as much innocent life as they want. If you're pro-choice, it means you're still putting government in a woman's uterus, just a different government.

[Edited 2012-08-20 08:24:59]

sw733

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):

Just my guess as to what he might have meant:

Legitimate - non-consenting in any way

Illegitimate - Getting drunk, hooking up, regretting it, and claiming rape

Just a guess

Ken777

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 23):
But what is worse, is that he sits on the House's Science and Space Tecnhology sub-committees.

You've gotta be kidding! That is dumber than a skinny dipping Republican Congressman in the Holy Land,

GDB

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:46 pm

He sounds like he'd be much happier living in, say, some tribal village in Pakistan?

Has no one else noticed this, that similarity between the more backward parts of the Muslim world and the 'bsse' of this prick, on certain issues. More than a few of them too.
Both seem particularly threatened by Women.
I go by the adage that you can tell a lot about a bloke by the way he treats, regards women.
'Legitimate Rape' indeed?

Really, this whole abortion issue that so many in the US, almost uniquely in the Western World, just cannot deal with rationally.
I totally get it if you view the sanctity of life in a broader sense than most, for example Pacifists like Quakers.
Then there is a logic and rigour to this side of the argument.
I seriously doubt there are too many of them on the US 'Christian Right'.
(They also seem to have difficulty with accepted Christian values like forgiveness, charity, love they neighbour).

Maybe it's an economic stimulus thing, I mean, just think of the possibilities for back street abortionists if these people got their way.
That's how it was here, hundreds of injured, dozens of dead, women every year. Nearly all vulnerable for various reasons, economic, family background, mentally, by age.
But the wealthy could be, if need arose, dealt with safely and discreetly.
That's also how it WOULD be if they got their way, these Pro-Lifers.

Here that exploitative trade, often linked to other criminality, dried up after an act of Parliament. It was not a party thing, though the radial Home Secretary Roy Jenkins supported this Bill, it was a free vote, for each MP with their individual conscience.
Mature debate in other words, not a political weapon.
Which is why the issue has not loomed up hardly at all, since.

I suppose I should finish by saying that had that Bill gone through a year or two sooner, I, adopted as I was at 6 weeks old, might not be here.
So what? The circumstances, the needs, of others, do not revolve around my little universe.

sw733

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 30):
That is dumber than a skinny dipping Republican Congressman in the Holy Land,

Now THAT is my resident Representative!

connies4ever

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 31):
the more backward parts of the Muslim world

Not just the backward Muslim world. Some of the various Hasidim streams of Judaism, and some of the various streams of Baptist Christianity in the west. Most egregiously the Westboro Baptist church in the US whose members go around and cheer American combat deaths at the funerals because "God hates fags".

I agree, they all seem to have issues with women (but so do most men, for another thread).

cargolex

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:13 pm

A statement from the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:

Quote:
Washington, DC -- Recent remarks by a member of the US House of Representatives suggesting that “women who are victims of ‘legitimate rape’ rarely get pregnant” are medically inaccurate, offensive, and dangerous.

Each year in the US, 10,000–15,000 abortions occur among women whose pregnancies are a result of reported rape or incest. An unknown number of pregnancies resulting from rape are carried to term. There is absolutely no veracity to the claim that “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to shut that whole thing down.” A woman who is raped has no control over ovulation, fertilization, or implantation of a fertilized egg (ie, pregnancy). To suggest otherwise contradicts basic biological truths.

Any person forced to submit to sexual intercourse against his or her will is the victim of rape, a heinous crime. There are no varying degrees of rape. To suggest otherwise is inaccurate and insulting and minimizes the serious physical and psychological repercussions for all victims of rape.

slider

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:19 pm

News is breaking that he is resigning and withdrawing...rightfully so. Fool.

connies4ever

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 35):

Better be careful about being one of those "effete impudent snobs" OR being in league with the liberal media bias.  

Revelation

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 1):
Todd Akin is simply your basic idiot looking to stick his nose in the uterus as a way to get votes.

Uhm, it seems the correct term for "uterus" is "that thing", according to Hon. Mr. Akin.

Good luck getting back into "that thing", Mr. Akin!

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):

My interpretation is that this idiot, er, Hon Mr Akin, is thinking of the "she really wanted it but couldn't bring herself to say so and then she changed her mind so what's a guy to think" argument that so many lawyers try to use and sometimes succeed with.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 25):
No. The "tea party people" believe with all their might that every fetus should be saved period. No matter how that fetus came to be. Once that fetus leaves the womb, it becomes a burden on society and is to be shunned.

Somehow that fetus will need to find its way all on its own and get to the point where it can live off capital gains like the Romneys do, otherwise it's screwed!
Inspiration, move me brightly!

Ken777

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:59 pm

The yahoo is on a very short leash:

Quote:

The head of GOP campaign efforts in the Senate gave Todd Akin 24 hours to %u201Cconsider what is best%u201D for him, his family and the Republican party as the Republican Senate candidate in Missouri is under increasing pressure to step down after the firestorm of criticism over his comments about %u201Clegitimate rape.%u201D

%u201CCongressman Akin%u2019s statements were wrong, offensive, and indefensible,%u201D said Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, the chairman of Republican campaign efforts to win majority control of the Senate.

%u201CI recognize that this is a difficult time for him, but over the next twenty-four hours, Congressman Akin should carefully consider what is best for him, his family, the Republican Party, and the values that he cares about and has fought for throughout his career in public service."
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...ign-chief-20120820,0,7702980.story

My bet is that he will be gone.

But you never know - John Cornyn needs to offer him a nice carrot along with that stick he swinging.

Now if we can just humiliate the yahoo from Kansas to get out of town.

DocLightning

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 33):
Not just the backward Muslim world. Some of the various Hasidim streams of Judaism, and some of the various streams of Baptist Christianity in the west. Most egregiously the Westboro Baptist church in the US whose members go around and cheer American combat deaths at the funerals because "God hates fags".

It's called holy douchebaggery. Be a douche. Claim God wants you to be. Nothing new to see here. Note the party afiliation, don't be surprised, move on.

Eisehower must be spinning in his grave.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

StarAC17

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:09 pm

They only have the same rights if the fetus is viable outside the womb, this is precisely why in Canada for example 3rd trimester abortions are illegal because that is when they are viable.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 3):
This is not as much as an "Abortion" issue. Its more of a "Stupidity" issue - for or against abortion it doest matter - This guy is an idiot.

If he really believes his statement - do you think that he is capable of fulling understanding other issues?

No and he is not alone in congress in handling complex issues. I think he should be going to a 9th grade sex ed class preferably in a blue state where they actual know a thing about sex.

Anyone who thinks that a woman has a natural defense to prevent pregnancies there is no help for him.
Doc am I right, the only thing I can think of is that vaginal lubrication can allow sperm to live longer but that is minimal.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Tugger

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:39 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 19):
When the abortion debate began

Interestingly this debacle has caused Mr. Ryan to shift his position from "abortion only in cases where the mothers life is in danger" to now also include rape. It really is likely to impact the entire race as almost every politician will be re-asked their position on abortion and how it is in relation to rape.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 22):
That may be how you feel, but that doesn't represent the bulk of the Tea Party. I would argue that without the social conservatives, the Tea Party would struggle to survive. The social conservatives are using the Tea Party as a vehicle to push their social agenda against gay marriage, abortion, etc. I would argue that hill-billies like this Akin can give a lot of credit to the Tea Party for their political survival.

The sad thing is I liked what the Tea Party started out as but they were attacked and infiltrated by social conservatives who saw it as a threat as it would have sidelined their voice in the Republican party. So I can no longer support "the movement" for what it has evolved into.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 40):
Anyone who thinks that a woman has a natural defense to prevent pregnancies there is no help for him.

Rape has long been used as a method of war as well and it is done because there is no real defense against it. It is a violent and cruel act upon women whose bodies are designed to support life and rape twists that into something terrible.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

ltbewr

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 am

Akin is the Republican candidate - for now - for the US Senate running for McCaskall's seat (she is a Dem). If he kept his mouth and brain in gear he might have has a chance to win and have helped upset the balance in the Senate from D to R. Already some Conservative SuperPAC's are withdrawing ad spending for now supporting him in his home state.

The deeper problem is that he said in part connects with what a majority of Republicans believe in and more importantly want to believe to get their critical evangelical Christian base votes.

Ken777

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:36 am

The pressure on this yo-yo will increase a lot until 5 PM tomorrow (Tuesday) as that is the last day he can decide to take his name off the ballot.

After 5 PM the GOP is pretty well stuck with him. A court order can take his name off the ballot anytime before 6 Tuesdays before the election, but that adds a lot of difficulty for the Party.

5 PM Tuesday and the National GOP as already advised they are cutting off his funding.

But then his son is running his campaign and his wife is his chief political advisor.

My bet is that he stays and in mid-October the GOP will start funding his ad again. The GOP will end up holding their nose and supporting because they want to control the Senate.

casinterest

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:46 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 43):
My bet is that he stays and in mid-October the GOP will start funding his ad again. The GOP will end up holding their nose and supporting because they want to control the Senate.

Nah,
I bet he gets some "religion" tommorrow and gets out. The GOP can ill afford to have him as a distraction going into the fall. There are many other races going on, and they don't need a rotten egg to destroy the rest of their contests. The democrats would sieze on him as a prime example of the anti female agenda within the GOP. If he gets out by tommorrow, the GOP can possibly muster an agreeable GOP candidate to run for election.

cws818

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:58 am

Quoting slider (Reply 35):

It is? Where? Now, I can understand your wishful thinking, but so far, I haven't seen anything to support your hopes.
volgende halte...Station Hollands Spoor

ATTart
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:07 am

Well according to his Face Book page 3 hour ago, he is staying in the race..

http://www.facebook.com/supportakin?ref=ts

Tugger

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:46 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 43):
The pressure on this yo-yo will increase a lot until 5 PM tomorrow (Tuesday) as that is the last day he can decide to take his name off the ballot.

After 5 PM the GOP is pretty well stuck with him. A court order can take his name off the ballot anytime before 6 Tuesdays before the election, but that adds a lot of difficulty for the Party.

No, it really isn't that big a deal:

Quote:
Under Missouri law, a candidate can drop out voluntarily by the 11th Tuesday before the election, which in this case is Tuesday. Otherwise, the candidate can leave only with a court order, which the law says "shall be freely given" unless the election authority opposes the motion and shows good cause.
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

zkojq

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:53 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 31):
Really, this whole abortion issue that so many in the US, almost uniquely in the Western World, just cannot deal with rationally.

A great example of this is the Governor of Mississippi, Haley Barbour, who proudly tells anyone who will listen that 'Americans United for Life named Mississippi the safest state in America for an unborn child' despite Mississippi having the highest infant mortality rate of all the states. It shows where the priorities are.   
First to fly the 787-9 with Air New Zealand and ZK-NZE (2014-10-09, NZ103)

Max Q

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:04 am

Typical right wing nut job.

Came out of the same container as Santorum and 'Crazy eyes' Bachmann !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.