Ken777
Topic Author

GOP Skinny Dippers In Israel

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:24 am

This one I couldn't believe:

Quote:

The FBI probed a late-night swim in the Sea of Galilee that involved drinking, numerous GOP freshmen lawmakers, top leadership staff – and one nude member of Congress, according to more than a dozen sources, including eyewitnesses.

During a fact-finding congressional trip to the Holy Land last summer, Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-Kan.) took off his clothes and jumped into the sea, joining a number of members, their families and GOP staff during a night out in Israel, the sources told POLITICO.

Other participants, including the daughter of another congressman, swam fully clothed while some
lawmakers partially disrobed. More than 20 people took part in the late-night dip in the sea, according to sources who were participants in the trip.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79865.html

The guy is from Kansas - the Land of Virtue & Purity.

I guess this is what you's call a Tea Party Party.

ArmitageShanks

RE: GOP Skinny Dippers In Israel

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:42 am

Pretty much a non-story. Its just political smack talking trying to dig up dirt about something just about everyone has done at some point in their life. I don't think you'd really find any tea partiers or liberals that REALLY have a problem with this. I mean WHO CARES? If I were there I would have done it to, because most people probably would.

Why is the FBI involved?

PPVRA

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:53 am

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 1):
Why is the FBI involved?

They want to get their hands on the pictures  
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

MD-90

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:15 am

Because nudity is inherently sinful and shameful. Oh wait, it's not? You mean fishermen in Jesus' time actually fished in the nude on Lake Galilee? And in the early years of Christianity baptisms were done in the nude as well?

Personally I think so many Americans are so uptight about nudity because they're ashamed of their overweight and unattractive bodies.

Alias1024

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:29 am

Why do our tax dollars need to be spent investigating skinny dipping? It has already been said, but I'll say it again....who cares?
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

DeltaMD90

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:33 am

Wait what is the issue here? That they were naked? Who cares
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:52 am

In his defense, Yoder is about the best kind of Republican you could ever find coming out of Kansas.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Mir

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:09 am

Pretty much a non-story.

Humorous, ironic, somewhat embarrassing for those involved, yes. But ultimately meaningless.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Maverick623

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:01 am

Ya gotta love it when politically brainwashed hacks attack the opposite party for the very activities they also partake in. They don't even bother with the "hypocrisy" line anymore. Anything the other side does is evil.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Mir

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:14 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 8):
Ya gotta love it when politically brainwashed hacks attack the opposite party for the very activities they also partake in.

Not necessarily. Let's say you have no problem with doing Action X, and I say that I am very much opposed to Action X and would never do it. If it comes out in the news that I do in fact do Action X, you would not be wrong in criticizing me for it, despite the fact that you see nothing wrong with doing Action X. You'd be criticizing my hypocrisy, not Action X. And rightfully so.

It's the same when we find out that social conservative Republicans are doing the very things they rail against, even though Democrats might see nothing wrong with doing those things themselves. This just isn't one of those times - the Representative in question doesn't have a record of moral proselytizing, so he's allowed to have too much fun on occasion. It also helps that he's a low-profile guy and that this is the first time most people outside of his state have heard of him - if it were someone like Eric Cantor, the story would probably have more legs.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ltbewr

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:49 am

It is a sure bet that alcohol was involved in this alleged incident.

In this day of social media, opposition seeking anything that can show hyprocritcy or bad behavior, perhaps someone involved or around such an alleged event seeking revenge or sees such acts as wrong, you just can't do this kind of dumb stuff anymore. Now the FBI is going to be distracted from more important criminal acts thay have to investigate this.

Of course the media loves anything with nudity, sex, and dumb behavior by our politicans acting like fools. I wish they would spend a lot more time worrying about the mass corruption of our politicans by corporate and rich lobbyists and there lack of dealing with our serious problems.

Ken777
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 4):
Why do our tax dollars need to be spent investigating skinny dipping?

Maybe the question should be "why are our tax dollars spent on drinking parties/ skinny dipping in Israel?"

Of course I think it is funny. These guys should not have a criminal investigation on their actions, but they should be exposed in public. Well, not that type of exposure. Just ridicule. Especially the guy from Kansas - the Holier Than Thou State.

ArmitageShanks

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 10):
Of course the media loves anything with nudity, sex, and dumb behavior by our politicans acting like fools.

How were they acting like fools? They were acting like just about every other person on the planet who has a part on an exciting trip.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 11):
Just ridicule

Again, why? I've never met any human being that has a problem with having a party, and a few drinks, and them going for a swim. Why just because they are republican does it matter? Does any republican denounce going to parties and having a good time?

luv2fly

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:38 pm

It is an election year and leave no stone unturned.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Ken777
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 12):
hey were acting like just about every other person on the planet who has a part on an exciting trip.

When I go on an exciting trip I pay for it myself. I'm not going on the taxpayers dime and on an Official Trip.

Huge difference there. (And I keep my clothes on - but then I'l be 68 on Wednesday.)

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 12):
Why just because they are republican does it matter?

Apparently not to the Republican Leadership in the House. Seems this was well know by the GOP leadership last year

Quote:

Speaker John Boehner’s office seems to believe the case is closed on the story of Rep. Kevin Yoder’s late night skinny-dipping in the Sea of Galilee during a trip to Israel last year.

Kevin Smith, a spokesman for Boehner, told POLITICO that Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) “handled the situation swiftly and appropriately.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79881.html?hp=f2

Looks like a different type of Cover Up than Rep. Kevin Yoder should have used!         

Aesma

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Thread starter):
During a fact-finding congressional trip
Maybe the question should be "why are our tax dollars spent on drinking parties/ skinny dipping in Israel?"

So nobody saw it but you and me ?

Wait, maybe they were checking the fact that water wets ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ArmitageShanks

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:19 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 14):
When I go on an exciting trip I pay for it myself. I'm not going on the taxpayers dime and on an Official Trip.

Huge difference there. (And I keep my clothes on - but then I'l be 68 on Wednesday.)

Official trip aside, which I agree we shouldn't really pay for, but what should they do shut themselves off in their rooms the second meetings are over? Should we feed them MRE's because anything else would be extravagant? Do you honestly have a problem with them having a little fun? Do we even know if this was a government sponsored party?

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 14):
Apparently not to the Republican Leadership in the House. Seems this was well know by the GOP leadership last year

So what? I wouldn't have given it a second thought as long as no crime was committed.

stasisLAX

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:30 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 5):
Wait what is the issue here? That they were naked? Who cares

That United States federal elected officials on a American taxpayer paid junket to another nation acted in a manner unbecoming of a representative of the United States government and her citizens? Drunk and skinny-dipping? Regardless of the political party that these Congressmen belonged to, this is an embarassment to all Americans.

What the hell were these idiots thinking? Or, maybe that's the problem. They weren't thinking.   
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Maverick623

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:54 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 17):
a representative of the United States government and her citizens?
Drunk and skinny-dipping?

Isn't that the perfect representation of our country?

this is an embarassment to all Americans.

Oh grow up. Last time I checked, I was an American, and I think this story is nothing more than politically charged bullshit. Funny how the incident happened over a year ago, and it comes to light right at election time.

The only thing I'm embarrassed about is that many of my fellow Americans actually think this is a deal, let alone a big one.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 10):
Now the FBI is going to be distracted from more important criminal acts thay have to investigate this.

No they aren't. An agent interviewed a staffer, and nothing else was done about it.

"why are our tax dollars spent on drinking parties/ skinny dipping in Israel?"

It was a privately funded trip.

Quote:

The American Israel Educational Foundation, a group related to AIPAC, the prominent pro-Israel advocacy group, sponsored the trip

casinterest

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:56 am

Saturday Night Live better have a skit on this.

"Who is that in the sea of Galilee? "
"GOP in the sea of Galilee."
"Who takes a pee in the Sea of Galilee? "
GOP in the sea of Galilee."
"Hold That!. "
"What kind of Party?"
"Tea Pea Party!!!!"

Hardly an uproar incident, but funny.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

ArmitageShanks

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:09 am

an embarassment to all Americans.

I don't know what Americans you are thinking about but I don't think they are the same ones I know.

victrola

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:34 am

I'm just shocked and apalled at such an act of indecency. This man will surely burn in hell.  

I really don't see why this guy is getting so much grief for this.

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:37 am

Count me as someone who doesn't really give a crap. I'm the first one to jump on these Republicans when I feel like it, but this just smells of feigning outrage for blind partisanship.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

seb146

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:45 am

Pretty much a non-story. Its just political smack talking trying to dig up dirt about something just about everyone has done at some point in their life.

It is a non-story. Except for the fact that his party thinks skinny dipping is evil and we should all cover our bodies from head to toe because we are to be ashamed of our bodies.

Other than that, what is Isreal's laws on public nudity?

I don't think you'd really find any tea partiers

Oh, yes there are. The right wing are a bunch of prudes. Remember the "wardrobe malfunction" at the Super Bowl? No one cared except the far right wing. They threw a huge fit and that is why nudity is outlawed in this country. Who cares if someone is sunning themselves in their own back yard? None of my business how comfortable people are without clothes. But, the far right-wing who are VERY vocal DEMAND that we all be ashamed.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

BMI727

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 23):
Except for the fact that his party thinks skinny dipping is evil and we should all cover our bodies from head to toe because we are to be ashamed of our bodies.

Care to cite a source for that?

Remember the "wardrobe malfunction" at the Super Bowl? No one cared except the far right wing. They threw a huge fit and that is why nudity is outlawed in this country.

If you cannot make the distinction between swimming nude and broadcasting nudity during prime time on publicly owned airwaves then you are beyond help.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Pyrex

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:30 am

Wow... people must be really desperate if a guy skinny-dipping over a year ago is somehow suddenly news.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Newark727

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:42 am

I just can't get worked up about this on the same day as the "legitimate rape" story. Plus, the man's from Kansas. He probably doesn't see bodies of water of any significant size very often.

ArmitageShanks

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:47 am

Except for the fact that his party thinks skinny dipping is evil and we should all cover our bodies from head to toe because we are to be ashamed of our bodies.

This is just patently wrong. And you call the GOP ignorant and backwards?

You are basing your opinion on what you THINK a person or party thinks because you are IGNORANT of what they really do think. You are just as wrong as you think they are. Look through the news media fog and the few bad eggs to get the real picture of American conservatism before you make ignorant statements.

Pyrex

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:53 am

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 27):
This is just patently wrong. And you call the GOP ignorant and backwards?

You are basing your opinion on what you THINK a person or party thinks because you are IGNORANT of what they really do think. You are just as wrong as you think they are. Look through the news media fog and the few bad eggs to get the real picture of American conservatism before you make ignorant statements.

I have found out through experience that everyone in this world is ignorant - they are just ignorant about different things. Europeans like to paint Americans as ignorant because they don't know some things about Europe while they themselves are as ignorant about the U.S. as they claim the Americans are. Similarly, coastal Americans like to criticize and call their heartland brethren ignorant because they are somehow oblivious to the outside world when they themselves are totally ignorant about huge swathes of their own country. Many people in "flyover country" might indeed be ignorant about the outside world, but the good thing is, unlike Europeans and Coastal Americans, I never hear them criticize others for being ignorant.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Geezer

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:50 am

Of course I think it is funny. These guys should not have a criminal investigation on their actions, but they should be exposed in public. Well, not that type of exposure. Just ridicule. Especially the guy from Kansas - the Holier Than Thou State.

I hate to remind all you "prudish" Democrats, but it seems like you have very short memories............how about your OWN Congressman Wiener posting photos of his "willy" on FB (wasn't it ?) and even emailing it to young ladies ?

My point being............members of Congress making complete asses of themselves is hardly something the GOP has a "patent" on !

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

seb146

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 24):

I see it every day from the far right.

If you cannot make the distinction between swimming nude and broadcasting nudity during prime time on publicly owned airwaves then you are beyond help.

Showing a breast for no reason other that "oh, look. a breast." is what the evil "liberals" see. However, the far right-wing sees a tool of the devil that must be made an example of because how dare they show that. A flap of flesh. The horror!

You are basing your opinion on what you THINK a person or party thinks because you are IGNORANT of what they really do think.

I based my statement on what I observe coming out of the right-wing. People like Sarah Palin, Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum just to name a few. I based my statement on observation. I (and all Americans) have been force-fed the right-wing mantra for years and years so it is pretty easy to make statements like that.

BMI727

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 30):
I see it every day from the far right.

But you can't find anything even remotely official to support it. Of course...  
Quoting seb146 (Reply 30):
Showing a breast for no reason other that "oh, look. a breast." is what the evil "liberals" see. However, the far right-wing sees a tool of the devil that must be made an example of because how dare they show that. A flap of flesh. The horror!

The reaction was overblown, but reasonable regulation of what can be sent over publicly owned airwaves is necessary. You can show basically whatever you want if you bounce it off your satellites or through your fiber optics, it doesn't matter to me.

Ken777
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 16):
but what should they do shut themselves off in their rooms the second meetings are over?

I guess we should give the poor guy a break as there is so little beach front land in Kansas.

Official trip aside, which I agree we shouldn't really pay for, but what should they do shut themselves off in their rooms the second meetings are over? Should we feed them MRE's because anything else would be extravagant? Do you honestly have a problem with them having a little fun? Do we even know if this was a government sponsored party?

We all know that all politicians on these political junkets live pretty high on the hog.

Like any other politician, however, this guy knows that anything done in the "Really Stupid" area can and probably come back to bite them on the zzz.

So he gets to live with his dumb dipping. It's part of politics.

I wouldn't have given it a second thought as long as no crime was committed.

It's election time and all kinds or crap will be flying around. THe guy got caught. The GOP Leadership has been covering it up for over a year. Let the crap hit the fan until after the election.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 18):
Funny how the incident happened over a year ago, and it comes to light right at election time.

It's election time. Best time for this stuff being laid out in public.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 18):
It was a privately funded trip

Makes no difference. It was a large group of politicians and their staff supposedly on a "fact learning trip" Maybe the guy's skinny dipping can eliminate his tax free status on that trip.  

Maverick623

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:37 pm

So... looking at a guy's junk live is a-OK, but looking at a boob on TV is not?

No sir, it is people who think like that, that need the help.

This is just patently wrong.

Right in this thread:

Drunk and skinny-dipping? Regardless of the political party that these Congressmen belonged to, this is an embarassment to all Americans.

Just sayin'.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 31):
but reasonable regulation of what can be sent over publicly owned airwaves is necessary.

How so? And how is censoring a boob "reasonable"?

zippyjet

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Thread starter):

I don't care if they were D or R if they were young hot women. But those guys going in the buff? Not the greatest area to go commando. The religious/Orthodox frown on this and the Islamic neighbors may just consider this an offense worth being stoned to death.
At least they were not caught "Tea Bagging."   
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

seb146

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:40 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 30):I see it every day from the far right.
But you can't find anything even remotely official to support it.

Just every day life. Sorry the real world does not work as a source for you.

The reaction was overblown, but reasonable regulation of what can be sent over publicly owned airwaves is necessary.

Reasonable. Yes. Seeing someone nude who is just nude is, to me, not reasonable. Like going to a nude beach. There is nothing there a straight man wants to see. Trust me. I have been to enough nude beaches I can say that. However, there is nothing there that should be cencored. No frolicking or cavorting or excitement or whatever label you want to give it. Just a bunch of old naked men and a few old naked women. And me. Nothing people want to see.

BMI727

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:53 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 33):
So... looking at a guy's junk live is a-OK, but looking at a boob on TV is not?

Where did I say that?

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 33):
How so? And how is censoring a boob "reasonable"?

Frankly, I'm not offended by it, but hundreds of years of social convention suggests otherwise. Put it on cable or satellite, but things that are going going out over the airwaves should probably not be that questionable. I see it as a reasonable compromise: all the boobies you want are a mouse click away or available on your cable box and people who find such things offensive don't have to see it or have it on public airwaves.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 35):
Just every day life.

So you don't have a source. You're just making it up.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 35):
Like going to a nude beach.

The nude beach is a nude beach. That's what it's there for and anyone who goes to one knows what they are in for and if you make the decision to go there, I'm all for it. And people can't complain if they make a wrong turn and end up at one either, that's on them.

To me the difference between obscenity on terrestrial networks vs. cable/satellite/internet is about like being naked on main street vs. being naked at a nudist colony.

seb146

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:43 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 36):
So you don't have a source. You're just making it up.

My own lyin' eyes. I guess I should not believe what I see and hear.

To me the difference between obscenity on terrestrial networks vs. cable/satellite/internet is about like being naked on main street vs. being naked at a nudist colony.

Why? I don't understand why people *need* to be covered up because of what "religions" say. I am studying surveying at Santa Rosa Junior College. I wear something different based on one of 50 pair of shoes. If people want to wear a burqa, fine. If people want to wear only a pair of sandals, fine. Why does it matter what people cover up? As long as they are not touching themselves or others inappropriatly, who cares? It's just skin. That God/Allah/Yawey gave us.

BMI727

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:10 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 37):
My own lyin' eyes. I guess I should not believe what I see and hear.

Well you'd think that if the religious right or Republicans (which are not really the same group except in your world) felt so strongly that one of them would have written something down, or said something to someone who would have written it down. But all you can find is what you think they think.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 37):
It's just skin. That God/Allah/Yawey gave us.

Go to class naked and see what happens. I kind of doubt that only religious people will be put off by such behavior. That said, if you really want to be nude, feel free to go to a nude beach or nudist colony.

seb146

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:42 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 38):
Go to class naked and see what happens. I kind of doubt that only religious people will be put off by such behavior. That said, if you really want to be nude, feel free to go to a nude beach or nudist colony.

My point is: we were made in the creator's image. I don't understand why "Christians" are so appalled by seeing any skin at all. I don't *want* to see a 70 year old but I don't care if they don't wear anything. God's creation and if I don't want to look at it, I won't.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 38):
Well you'd think that if the religious right or Republicans (which are not really the same group except in your world) felt so strongly that one of them would have written something down, or said something to someone who would have written it down. But all you can find is what you think they think.

Just what they say on Hannity, Rush, Huckabee, FOX....

Maverick623

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:39 pm

Where did I say that?

Seriously?

"If you cannot tell the difference between swimming nude and broadcasting nudity, you are beyond help".

It's a fact: you are OK with people being nude at a public beach, but are not OK with showing nudity on TV. I gave extremes of both examples, but the point stands.

people who find such things offensive don't have to see it or have it on public airwaves.

Change the channel, maybe? It's been long established that one does not have a right to not be offended.

is about like being naked on main street vs. being naked at a nudist colony.

I actually see little difference. The human body is nothing to be ashamed about... but the puritans would have you think otherwise.

BMI727

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 40):
"If you cannot tell the difference between swimming nude and broadcasting nudity, you are beyond help".

Seb's equating swimming nude in Israel with hypocrisy on obscenity is moronic.

It's a fact: you are OK with people being nude at a public beach, but are not OK with showing nudity on TV.

I only would care about nudity on over the air TV. Satellite and cable are a free for all.

Change the channel, maybe? It's been long established that one does not have a right to not be offended.

That's a fine solution but the issue is that publicly owned airwaves are used to broadcast it. Put whatever you want on your network, but using public resources to broadcast content that much of the population (not just religious people) would find objectionable is understandably a bit touchy.

Aesma

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Do they really find it objectionable if they really think about it (I mean the majority, not the religious nuts) ?

Here public channels show nudity in prime time, in fact most French TV series have nudity in them, for example a police procedural will show a naked dead body without covering anything, and nobody will have sex in underwear...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

BMI727

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 42):
Do they really find it objectionable if they really think about it (I mean the majority, not the religious nuts) ?

I don't. Keeping it on cable and satellite seems like a reasonable compromise to me: it's there if you want it, but it's harder to run across accidentally.

It's not just nudity either. I can understand the concerns of parents with kids listening to the radio and potentially having a vanilla pop song followed by something with more explicit content.

rmoore7734

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Bill Clinton talked of naked republicans @ the bohemian grove north of san francisco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8y-FPQlNfI

Starbuk7

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Well, when you are watching the Super Bowl with the kids and family you are not expecting to see nudity, if I am watching HBO or SHOWTIME (dependiing on the show) I AM expecting to see nudity. (and I do not have the kids there watching with me)

Oh, and by the way, I am a conservitive christian that does not have a problem with nudity so you can throw that sterotype out the window.

Maverick623

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:17 am

Quoting starbuk7 (Reply 45):
Well, when you are watching the Super Bowl with the kids and family you are not expecting to see nudity

You don't expect your kids to see nudity anywhere except in the bathroom. It doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

Quoting starbuk7 (Reply 45):

Oh, and by the way, I am a conservitive christian that does not have a problem with nudity so you can throw that sterotype out the window.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. It does NOT mean that everyone who otherwise fits the bill behaves in such a stereotypical manner.