OA260
Topic Author

IPhone 5 Announcing 12th September/In Stores 21st?

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Well its rumoured that the iPhone 5 will be announced on 12th September and will be on sale 21st September. If the numerous online reports are to be confirmed.

Does everyone think this is a reliable date frame ?

WestJet747

RE: IPhone 5 Announcing 12th September/In Stores 21st?

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
Does everyone think this is a reliable date frame ?

The date of the announcement is probably reliable.

What I question is the release date. First off, it's only 9 days after the announcement? Second, from what I've heard, an October release is far more likely.
Flying refined.

jwhite9185

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Apparently Apple have an event planned for September. Its not out of the question that it can be announced and in stores within that timeframe.

From what I've seen round the net, its likely to be similar to the 4/4S but with a 4 inch screen.

Also a 7 inch iPad mini is due to be announced too.
@mytripreport

srbmod

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 1):
What I question is the release date. First off, it's only 9 days after the announcement? Second, from what I've heard, an October release is far more likely.

Apple's been doing that more and more in recent years. For example, they announced the iPad 2 on March 2, 2011 and US retail sales started on March 11, 2011. The iPad (3rd Generation) was announced on March 7, 2012 and retail sales of it in the US, the UK, Canada, Japan, France, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia started on March 16, 2012. The iPhone 4S was announced on October 4, 2011, preorders started on October 7, 2011 and the device hit the market on October 14, 2011.

Apple doesn't announce the street date for a new device until right before it hits the market. This makes sense, as some competitors have trouble making their previous announced street dates and delay their products.

mt99

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 pm

It cant come soon enough, my trusty 3GS is on its last legs...
Step into my office, baby

OA260
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 1):

What makes me believe it is the trend as below :

Quoting srbmod (Reply 3):
Apple's been doing that more and more in recent years. For example, they announced the iPad 2 on March 2, 2011 and US retail sales started on March 11, 2011. The iPad (3rd Generation) was announced on March 7, 2012 and retail sales of it in the US, the UK, Canada, Japan, France, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia started on March 16, 2012. The iPhone 4S was announced on October 4, 2011, preorders started on October 7, 2011 and the device hit the market on October 14, 2011.

Im certainly hoping it will be 21st and its a Friday so makes sense. I have also a few pay days til then to save the roughly EUR600 I need . Good news is I have a taker at work for my iPhone 4S for EUR300 so not bad an upgrade. This is of course if I like it . Im really hoping that I like any new design otherwise it will kill it for me.

----

Seems this is what the new cable will look like :

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/47031/iphone-5-mini-dock-usb-cable

Verizon, the US mobile phone operator, has reportedly issued a holiday blackout from 21 September to 30 September, leading many commentators to believe the news corroborates the launch of the iPhone 5 in America.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4699...september-verizon-holiday-blackout

[Edited 2012-08-23 12:37:50]

Virginblue4

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49 pm

From numerous sources I believe that the September 12th announcement and September 21st release are very reliable.
The amazing tale of flight.

Ken777

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Amazon just announced an announcement for September 6th.

Microsoft & Nokia have announced an announcement for September 5th.

The more we see announcements of announcements the more faith we can put in September 12th for Apple.

It's simple - the competition wants to get their announcements in before Apple announces their new products.

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 2):
Also a 7 inch iPad mini is due to be announced too.

Odd thing about the smaller iPad - some believe it will not be released withthe iPhobe5:

[quote}
"I’m thinking it makes more sense for Apple to hold two events. First, an iPhone event, focused solely on the new iPhone and iOS 6. Then, the iPhone ships nine days later, and there’s another wave of iPhone-focused attention as the reviews come out. Then, in the first or second week of October, Apple holds its traditional “music event”, exactly along the lines of the events at which they’ve been debuting new iPods for the last decade."
[/quote]

http://www.macrumors.com

Personally I believe new iOS 6 hardware on the 12th and OS X desk tops to follow later in the month, or early October.

Braniff747SP

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 am

Yes, it's everything but confirmed.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Revelation

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:35 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 7):
iPhobe5

"Siri, what's an iPhobe?" 
Inspiration, move me brightly!

LifelinerOne

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:01 am

I've been an iPhone user for years now, starting with the 3G and all the way up to the 4S now. How much I like them, I have a growing urge of wanting something new and something that excites me. If the iPhone 5 is looking almost the same, with the same lay-out of the OS, I might defect to another phone. What OS, I don't know, I'm curious about WP8... I think Apple is risking to lose its first customer base if they don't keep up. They were very innovative for years, but other companies catched up. I think Apple is now more evolving in stead of innovating, and I don't like that.

I do hope Apple sets a new high for their iPhone, as I don't think they are going to make it with just the same, just a little larger.

Cheers!   
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:03 am

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 10):
I think Apple is risking to lose its first customer base if they don't keep up. They were very innovative for years, but other companies catched up. I think Apple is now more evolving in stead of innovating, and I don't like that.

I'm hoping for something a bit more advanced too . I agree the competition is really at their heels these days. Samsung has really leaped ahead in terms of what they offer. For me though everything I have is Apple so makes sense if possible to keep everything the same in terms of syncing etc... Im not tied to Apple though if they dont come up with the goods.

hOMSaR

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 9):
"Siri, what's an iPhobe?

One who has an unnatural fear of Apple products.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.

srbmod

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):

Verizon, the US mobile phone operator, has reportedly issued a holiday blackout from 21 September to 30 September, leading many commentators to believe the news corroborates the launch of the iPhone 5 in America.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4699...september-verizon-holiday-blackout

Add AT&T to that list now:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/26/att...-iphones-september-21-launch-date/

Quote:
We’ve received yet another bit of evidence confirming the next iPhone’s September 21 launch. According to an AT&T sales rep, AT&T staff has been given a vacation blackout from September 21 to September 30, just like Verizon employees. Our source also mentioned that blue carrier employees are undergoing training for an “iconic release.”

cedarjet

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:56 pm

Apparently the camera is a "game changer".

Quoting mt99 (Reply 4):
It cant come soon enough, my trusty 3GS is on its last legs...

Mine too. Come on come on come on...
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:01 pm

One of my friends showed me the new Apple maps on his iPhone. He has access to the new software since he is a registered developer. The 3D maps are cool, but otherwise it seemed like a step back compared to google maps. Also, I doubt (but really hope) that Apple will change the UI, which is one of the reasons why I havent owned an iPhone since the 3G. It is simply too plain I think and that is why I prefer both WP and Android. With WP8, MS is really stepping up!

Ken777

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 9):
"Siri, what's an iPhobe?"

An old man typing with bifocals.   

Actually I was just as bad when I started with computers 40+ years ago. Was using punchcards, which are a real bitch to debug. I could have shuffled them like a deck of cards and done better.

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 14):

Apparently the camera is a "game changer".

And a quad core processor. Maybe more memory.

I believe that the iOS enhancements will be as driving a marketing force as an updated phone.

I'm looking for the iPad mini to come out in October, mainly to give the component suppliers a chance to catch up to demand.

Maybe something for the desktop Macs on the 12th. They are due.

QFA380

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Looking forward to the new iPhone however this new trend of theirs where everything is released after being announced annoys me, in particular iOS 6. Announced in early June and still not released.

I'm crossing my fingers for a bigger screen, otherwise I'll likely have to switch from iPhones, the screen size today is pitiful and no longer suitable for any smartphone much less one of the smartest of smartphones. iCloud will be the biggest loss but I'd survive.

I also find it amusing that the fanboys were laughing their arses off at the galaxy note but with Apple rumoured to be making an iPad mini it'll be God's gift to mankind despite similar size.

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 10):
I do hope Apple sets a new high for their iPhone, as I don't think they are going to make it with just the same, just a little larger.

After the disappointment of the 4S there are a large number of people waiting to see what comes out. If the iPhone 5 isn't an incredible product you'll see a large number of people jump ship, particularly those who aren't plugged in to the Apple matrix. iPhones also don't carry the status they once did either to help justify the cost. Klaus will jump in and say 'buy what works for you' but plenty of people consider that in their purchases and no one wants the same thing that everyone else has when they can get a flashy colourful Lumia that doesn't shatter a few times a year.

Virginblue4

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 15):

Apart from the fact they don't have street view (which many people don't know about anyway) I can't see in any way how Apple maps are a step backwards?

Ken777

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:45 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 17):
. . .iOS 6. Announced in early June and still not released.

iOS 6 was presented at the Developers Conference, which gave them time to work on integrating their products to the new OS. While we got to see the Keynote (after it was given) the reality is that there was about a week of technical sessions, with Apple engineers and systems people there to answer questions.

That conference (called WWDC) sold out within hours of tickets being put up on the internet. It was for developers and we only got a peek of what was in it.

Klaus

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:58 am

Looking forward to the new iPhone however this new trend of theirs where everything is released after being announced annoys me, in particular iOS 6. Announced in early June and still not released.

Goes to show how short people's memory can be. New operating systems (both Mac OS and iOS) have always been pre-announced for the simple reason that new OS releases are primarily new platforms for third-party developers who of course will need to know what APIs they are supposed to be using in the near future.

Hardware announcements, on the other hand, are kept on very short notice if possible (with the first iPhone that wasn't feasible due to the lengthy and public FCC authorization process).

After the disappointment of the 4S

What "disappointment"? That it still can't cure cancer, just like all its predecessors? Right.   

I got the 4S replacing my 3GS and I'm fully satisfied with its progress, both relative to the 3GS and to the 4.

The iPhone 4 was mostly an external upgrade (new shell, Retina Display etc.) with few internal changes ("tick"), the 4S was the matching internal upgrade (massive performance increase, doubled storage etc.) without external changes ("tock").

The late 2012 model (likely not to carry the "5" designation) is again an external upgrade first and foremost (new, thinner shell again, taller display, new dock connector) but likely with no major internal changes (probably just a somewhat enhanced A5 as in the 4S, unchanged storage).

The late 2013 model will then receive an internal boost again, as usual, likely with a version of the A6 expected for the early 2013 iPad and probably again doubled storage.

With two-year contracts being the norm, this means most people will have a fully renovated model available when their contracts become due.

After the disappointment of the 4S there are a large number of people waiting to see what comes out. If the iPhone 5 isn't an incredible product you'll see a large number of people jump ship, particularly those who aren't plugged in to the Apple matrix.

Apple specializes not on externally flashy feature lists (like most of their competitors do) but on actual, real-life usability: They are designing and engineering for the overall user experience above all. And that is not something most people actually get bored with, particularly when they have experienced the difference.

iPhones also don't carry the status they once did either to help justify the cost. Klaus will jump in and say 'buy what works for you' but plenty of people consider that in their purchases and no one wants the same thing that everyone else has when they can get a flashy colourful Lumia that doesn't shatter a few times a year.

Given the relatively low user satisfaction with the competing systems and the much higher attrition rates there (intent to switch away again, combined with high intent to switch to the iPhone), remorse seems to set in relatively quickly for most people after such impulse purchases.

Maybe I'm just a boring person, but I just don't get the attraction of purely superficial UI features when they're paid for with deficiencies everywhere else, particularly regarding practical usability and longevity, but often also UI responsiveness and battery life.

that doesn't shatter a few times a year.

Huh? What are you talking about? I've not had a single Apple product "shatter" on me ever, and I've had quite a few by now and never used a case on any of them (not a scratch in any of the unprotected displays either, apart from the very first plastic iPod nano).

But maybe I'm just not the type to need super-ruggedized products wrapped in thick rubber to have them survive at all. Your mileage can obviously vary there.

Max Q

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:02 am

So when will T Mobile have it ?

I refuse to do business with AT&T
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

AirPacific747

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 am

Quoting virginblue4 (Reply 18):
Apart from the fact they don't have street view (which many people don't know about anyway) I can't see in any way how Apple maps are a step backwards?

Exactly because of that. Which I find very useful.

Ken777

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 21):

So when will T Mobile have it ?

Probably as fast as ATT.

Max Q

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 23):

Probably as fast as ATT.

I doubt that since they have never offered any I Phone so far.

Anyone really know ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

flymia

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:29 pm

I am finally going to make the switch from the old but trusty blackberry to the iPhone. Been due for an upgrade for over a year now been waiting for the 5. Once my BBm contact list dropped from 60 to 6 I should have known its time to change. 
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Not sure if I believe the rumours but if true seems to be certainly different !

Now, hear this: Apple redesigns iconic white headphones for first time in six years

The iPhone 5 is expected to be unveiled next week - and rumours claim Apple has completely redesigned its iconic headphones for the first time since 2006.

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/arti...hones-time-2006.html#ixzz25PTfM3Yr

Rara

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Always nice to see a new iPhone stir up the market...

So, if Apple finally jumps on the larger screen bandwagon, what about the people who've been claiming for years that the iPhone's screen is EXACTLY the right size and anything larger cannot be comfortably handled with one hand? How will they explain that one away?

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 15):
The 3D maps are cool, but otherwise it seemed like a step back compared to google maps.

Yeah, they seriously need to spend some more time on that. The map look is blunt and uninspired, and the handling is not yet as good as in Google Maps. The 3D cities are very impressive, but Google has already matched that 1:1, so that's not a USP anymore. On the whole I'm much in favour of a new maps development though, because Google Maps seriously needs some competition. Also it's nice that Apple users finally get free turn-by-turn directions, some three years after Google introduced them on Android.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Klaus

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:35 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 27):
So, if Apple finally jumps on the larger screen bandwagon, what about the people who've been claiming for years that the iPhone's screen is EXACTLY the right size and anything larger cannot be comfortably handled with one hand? How will they explain that one away?

I'll have to check it out in person to judge one-handed operation of the new model, but if the leaks turn out to be correct, they have extended the height of the active display area both down- and upwards by a few mm relative to the previous models:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/2/3286799/iphone-5-mockup-at-ifa-2012

Enough to add another row of App icons to the springboard UI (and to app folders in particular), but probably still manageable with one hand, even though it's probably approaching physical limits of easy access to the entire area. The priority clearly remains on one-handed operation, which is effectively discarded on the oversized Android models.

Additional entries in springboard app folders are pretty much the only advantage I'd see for me personally; I've not missed more display height so far (or more area in total) and I don't particularly appreciate the larger size of the new model, even with the again reduced thickness.

Ken777

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 27):
How will they explain that one away?

It will be thinner.  
Quoting Klaus (Reply 28):
The priority clearly remains on one-handed operation, which is effectively discarded on the oversized Android models.

I have a friend with a bum arm so he is effectively a one handed man. His opinion was that the iPhone was the best thing out there for a one handed man, making me glad that Apple kept it that way.

AirPacific747

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 28):
even though it's probably approaching physical limits of easy access to the entire area.

Before the iPhone 5 rumours started to appear, you'd have said that 3,5" is the maximum display size for single hand operation. I guess as long as Apple does it, it is right no matter what they come up with  

Klaus

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 30):
Before the iPhone 5 rumours started to appear, you'd have said that 3,5" is the maximum display size for single hand operation.

I have said that the current iPhone is about as large as I can comfortably operate single-handed. The new one adds only a few millimeters at the top and a few at the bottom, which may make the far corners somewhat less convenient to reach, but I'll have to check it out myself.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 30):
I guess as long as Apple does it, it is right no matter what they come up with

Have you ever considered the possibility that it may actually be beneficial if a pocket device is usable even with just one hand? I'm using the iPhone single-handedly almost all the time, often while carrying or holding something with the other. It affords additional freedom not to be forced to have both hands free before being able to use the phone.

Your mistake is that you don't even bother to deal with my actual points before switching to personal digs just by default. It is really getting tedious, and you may have noticed that I treat you with quite a bit more respect than that.

AirPacific747

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 31):
I have said that the current iPhone is about as large as I can comfortably operate single-handed. The new one adds only a few millimeters at the top and a few at the bottom, which may make the far corners somewhat less convenient to reach, but I'll have to check it out myself.

Fair enough.

Have you ever considered the possibility that it may actually be beneficial if a pocket device is usable even with just one hand? I'm using the iPhone single-handedly almost all the time, often while carrying or holding something with the other. It affords additional freedom not to be forced to have both hands free before being able to use the phone.

Your mistake is that you don't even bother to deal with my actual points before switching to personal digs just by default. It is really getting tedious, and you may have noticed that I treat you with quite a bit more respect than that.

Yes I have considered that, and I agree it is beneficial. But the benefits of a larger display outweighs the benefits of single hand operation for me. But I can easily understand why people would want a smaller phone.

I will treat you with more respect in the future, but I welcome a balanced, and as far as possible objective debate where we can discuss the pros and cons of all the large IT companies and their solutions, and not try to make it sound like one company superior to all others when they are not.

photopilot

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:22 pm

Ho hum..... another Apple media and hype fest. Thanks, but no thanks.

Just got my new Samsung G III and love it. Apple will have to work hard (out of the courtroom) just to catch up IMHO.

Rara

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 29):
I have a friend with a bum arm so he is effectively a one handed man. His opinion was that the iPhone was the best thing out there for a one handed man, making me glad that Apple kept it that way.

It's not like there weren't any small Android phones, in fact some are tiny. The choice is greater while Apple offers only one (presumably optimum) solution.

The new one adds only a few millimeters at the top and a few at the bottom,

I'm not trying to bug you here, really   but isn't this is a curiously twisted way of saying "they made it longer"? Why would you differentiate between the top and the bottom   isn't that in the nature of things that are made longer? Instead of saying they added "only a few millimeters" at the top and at the bottom, you could also say they added a fair bit more than a few millimeters in the center. But that wouldn't sound quite as tiny, I guess.

But this isn't about phone sizes (the virtues of which can be debated). This is about how you, who has been very vocal about the iPhone being the perfect size and other top-end phones getting too large, accomodate the fact that the iPhone is now also becoming larger, particularly since you almost never find fault with any Apple decision.

But you said that you don't appreciate the decision to make the device larger, so I'm happy with that response.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Ken777

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:10 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 34):
It's not like there weren't any small Android phones,

My friend bought his first iPhone before the competitors were able to get their copies out the door.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 27):

iPhone user here. I feel the iPhone 4/4S design is great and I'd rather not see much change in physical design. It really does fit so well in the palm of one hand. I don't want to see a bigger screen or a bigger phone. That's not important to me. I'd rather see advancements internally.

I am ready for an upgrade from my iPhone 4 so I still plan on upgrading despite not necessarily wanting a larger device.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Event announced :

Apple's September 12 invite hints at iPhone 5

Apple today sent members of the media invites to an event in San Francisco next week, where the company is expected to unveil the next version of the iPhone.

http://m.cnet.com/news/apples-septem...-invite-hints-at-iphone-5/57502622

Klaus

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm

The first invitations for the official presentation have arrived:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/09/0...es-special-event-for-september-12/

Quote:
Apple on Tuesday sent out invites for an upcoming event happening in San Francisco on September 12, 2012. The invitation I received says the event will take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts at 10:00 am.

It is widely expected that Apple will announce its next generation iPhone at the event.

The not-so-subtle implication is that they'll indeed go with "iPhone 5" as the new model's designation, continuing their standing practice.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 32):
Yes I have considered that, and I agree it is beneficial. But the benefits of a larger display outweighs the benefits of single hand operation for me. But I can easily understand why people would want a smaller phone.

I have only stated that the iPhone is suited well for my particular preference in this regard, not in any way that you had to share that same preference.

I can just as well acknowledge that certain other products match other preferences even if I don't happen to share those either.

Apple usually discards many alternative designs and focuses only on one specific choice, which automatically means that they can not satisfy everybody's preferences. They know that and that is still the way they keep doing things. Other manufacturers attempt to provide products for every conceivable taste at the same time, but that approach has its own challenges.

I will treat you with more respect in the future

I sincerely appreciate that.

but I welcome a balanced, and as far as possible objective debate where we can discuss the pros and cons of all the large IT companies and their solutions, and not try to make it sound like one company superior to all others when they are not.

My opinions on certain manufacturers are just that, the same as yours, and what you've claimed above has nothing to do with my actual opinion.

Neither I nor anybody else can claim any kind of absolute truth – so why not have a civilized discussion about how everyone has come to their respective opinions?

There is absolutely no point in getting aggressive or personal about it – neither the industry nor ourselves are really affected by having this or that opinion about a particular product or manufacturer.

Quoting Rara (Reply 34):
I'm not trying to bug you here, really   but isn't this is a curiously twisted way of saying "they made it longer"? Why would you differentiate between the top and the bottom   isn't that in the nature of things that are made longer? Instead of saying they added "only a few millimeters" at the top and at the bottom, you could also say they added a fair bit more than a few millimeters in the center. But that wouldn't sound quite as tiny, I guess.

I use the iPhone every day, so the ergonomical details of its design matter to me quite a bit, on top of being involved in (unrelated) hardware and software design myself.

When one-handed operation is a crucial factor, it is difficult to enlarge the display without reachability becoming a problem. Apparently they have mitigated that somewhat by reducing the height of both the "chin" and the "forehead" of the device, while stretching it by a lesser amount than they would have had to otherwise.

If you're just looking for ideological ammunition or personal digs, such details will of course not matter to you, however.

Quoting Rara (Reply 34):
But this isn't about phone sizes (the virtues of which can be debated). This is about how you, who has been very vocal about the iPhone being the perfect size and other top-end phones getting too large, accomodate the fact that the iPhone is now also becoming larger, particularly since you almost never find fault with any Apple decision.

Do you have any interest in the actual topic or are you just trying to provoke an emotional reaction?

My remarks about this particular aspect have been very consistent if you actually care to look them up.

Quoting Rara (Reply 34):
But you said that you don't appreciate the decision to make the device larger, so I'm happy with that response.

Now imagine if this topic was not a tug-of-war with its primary intent to score personal points, but an actual consideration of how well a device would actually work in real-life practical use.

I just happen to be interested in the latter.

Virginblue4

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 38):

It does indeed look like it will be called the iPhone 5. The only other thing the '5' could possibly mean is there are going to 5 products announced but I highly doubt that.

I'm going with iPhone 5 

Klaus

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Quoting virginblue4 (Reply 39):
I'm going with iPhone 5

Little point in betting against that at this point, I'd guess.   

This numbering scheme has started somewhat dubiously with the iPhone 3G which was only the second-generation model, but apparently they'll stick with bi-annual number increments for the external updates ("tick") and the same number with a suffix for the internal updates ("tock"), so that users with two-year contracts may effectively jump from one "main" generation to the numerically next one.

I personally find the internal updates more interesting, so I've gone from 3GS to 4S, then maybe the 5S(?) again...

DocLightning

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:24 pm

The not-so-subtle implication is that they'll indeed go with "iPhone 5"

If it's not-so-subtle, why did I need your hint and 15 seconds to find it? *magically turns blonde*  
Quoting Klaus (Reply 20):
Apple specializes not on externally flashy feature lists (like most of their competitors do) but on actual, real-life usability: They are designing and engineering for the overall user experience above all. And that is not something most people actually get bored with, particularly when they have experienced the difference.

This is very true. I had a 4GLTE Android phone last year with all the latest bells and whistles. Within four months, I'd switched back to my iPhone. I gave up 4GLTE, a bigger screen, talkable Google built-in, a mini S-Video port, etc. in exchange for a phone that actually WORKED. I cannot even begin to describe how counterintuitive the Android interface seemed to me, nor how many bugs kept on popping up in third-party applications. I was rebooting my phone two or three times per day.

There are features that Apple will absolutely need to include. They will need a better camera, true 4G/LTE speed, and some power/memory upgrade. However, the Apple UI is what really makes the iPhone compete well. And this is no different than the Mac vs. PC issue from the last two decades.

I also really want to know why Apple is changing the USB port. They have to know that they are going to cheese a lot of people off, right?

[Edited 2012-09-04 10:31:44]
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Rara

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Now imagine if this topic was not a tug-of-war with its primary intent to score personal points, but an actual consideration of how well a device would actually work in real-life practical use.

Sounds good, but isn't true. Like no other user here, you have personally committed yourself to one particular company, a company which you believe can do no wrong, of which you believe every product is superior, which always makes the right design decisions and so on. Whenever that company is criticised in this forum, you rush to its defense. In all these years here, I've never seen you say something remotely positive about a competitor's product. So, for you this issue isn't as objective as you claim; in fact you have quite some emotional ties to said company which become obvious in your posting behaviour.

Do you have any interest in the actual topic

Not really.   Again, I'm just curious in how you integrate your "Apple can do no wrong" mantra with the fact that they're now making a phone larger, which in the past you have also labelled wrong. It's just a nice contradiction and I was interested in how you resolve it. But as I said, you handled the issue quite well, so my curiosity is sated.

Klaus

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 41):
If it's not-so-subtle, why did I need your hint and 15 seconds to find it? *magically turns blonde*

Neat trick! 
Thank you for validating my otherwise redundant mentioning of the not-quite-as-obvious-as-I-thought...

Quoting Rara (Reply 42):

Sounds good, but isn't true. Like no other user here, you have personally committed yourself to one particular company, a company which you believe can do no wrong, of which you believe every product is superior, which always makes the right design decisions and so on.

I provide topical arguments for my (rather more differentiated) views and I do not base my argumentation on personal resentment. That was my actual point above, if you care to re-read what you've quoted yourself.

If you have any topical arguments countering mine, please state them according to the rules. If your only point is that you resent me for holding topical views which you just don't happen to share, passing personal judgment still is no substitute for actual arguments.

Quoting Rara (Reply 42):
Do you have any interest in the actual topic

Not really.

Then your post is pure personal flame bait and has no place in here.

AirPacific747

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:17 pm

I have only stated that the iPhone is suited well for my particular preference in this regard, not in any way that you had to share that same preference.

And I have only stated that there are other phones that are better suited for my particular preference in this regard. What's your point?

Apple usually discards many alternative designs and focuses only on one specific choice, which automatically means that they can not satisfy everybody's preferences.

Exactly. Just like any other manufacturer.

Other manufacturers attempt to provide products for every conceivable taste at the same time, but that approach has its own challenges.

No. Instead they release a series of different phones. Nothing wrong with that. That is also why Apple keeps selling older models of the iPhone to try to get more customers not willing to pay premium price for the newest iPhone. It's another way of achieving the same goal of maximizing their profits.

I sincerely appreciate that.

Now I just need you to do the same.

Neither I nor anybody else can claim any kind of absolute truth – so why not have a civilized discussion about how everyone has come to their respective opinions?

Did I suggest that you did? I said that as far as possible try to be objective. This means that of course people will always have a preference, but to get the maximum out of these types of threads, it is a good thing to be able to discuss the positive and negative things about different products and not be too one-sided to get an informative thread instead of something that seems like a hidden advertisement for a given manufacturer and/or product.

There is absolutely no point in getting aggressive or personal about it – neither the industry nor ourselves are really affected by having this or that opinion about a particular product or manufacturer.

Agreed.

Rara

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 43):
If you have any topical arguments countering mine, please state them according to the rules. If your only point is that you resent me for holding topical views which you just don't happen to share, passing personal judgment still is no substitute for actual arguments.

Klaus, Klaus   why would I resent you? Quite the opposite in fact. I don't know about you, but I come here for a break from work and entertainment, and little bit to put my debating skills to the test, in areas where I feel I can actually make a contribution. But as far as entertainment is concerned, the Apple battles are top notch, and they wouldn't be half as fun without you.

Klaus

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 44):
And I have only stated that there are other phones that are better suited for my particular preference in this regard. What's your point?

That there is nothing wrong with that, in neither direction.

Exactly. Just like any other manufacturer.

It's pretty rare to release just one single model in a year, and only at the top end of the market at that.

Now I just need you to do the same.

I disagree with some of your opinions. I have no problem whatsoever with you as a person, and I keep the two aspects separate.

Did I suggest that you did? I said that as far as possible try to be objective. This means that of course people will always have a preference, but to get the maximum out of these types of threads, it is a good thing to be able to discuss the positive and negative things about different products and not be too one-sided to get an informative thread instead of something that seems like a hidden advertisement for a given manufacturer and/or product.

My views are quite a bit more differentiated than you claim them to be. Don't extrapolate, just read my actual posts.

I can live with you disagreeing with me, even when the gap is wide. Why do you, then, categorically demand that I absolutely have to adopt your views even where I happen to disagree with them?

Discussions are by necessity about things we disagree about.

Quoting Rara (Reply 45):
Klaus, Klaus   why would I resent you? Quite the opposite in fact. I don't know about you, but I come here for a break from work and entertainment, and little bit to put my debating skills to the test, in areas where I feel I can actually make a contribution. But as far as entertainment is concerned, the Apple battles are top notch, and they wouldn't be half as fun without you.

Then get to the topic and stop making this about me personally. That is not just rude but it also violates forum rules.

I am not your personal punching ball. If you cannot debate the issues without incessantly injecting personal judgment into it, get out of here. This has long stopped being funny and it ruins every thread it contaminates, which is why the rules ban this kind of behaviour.

I cannot tell you how mortally tired I am of this kind of BS, regardless of how entertaining you seem to find it.

[Edited 2012-09-04 13:07:33]

zckls04

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:27 pm

I'm almost at end of contract, so I'll be looking closely to see if I want to replace my current iPhone 4 with the iPhone 5. Have been thinking about a switch to Android for a while now so it's going to have to be impressive to avoid that.

I'm hoping it's not just a camera upgrade since that's the least useful feature on the phone. After the 4S I'm not too hopeful though; the iPhone seems to have stagnated somewhat recently.
Four Granavox Turbines!

AirPacific747

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 46):
It's pretty rare to release just one single model in a year, and only at the top end of the market at that.

Correct.. but easier to do that at the top of the market though, since the hardware is top notch at the time of release and therefore will be able to compete with cheaper devices for a long time. That also goes for the Galaxy series.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 46):
I can live with you disagreeing with me, even when the gap is wide. Why do you, then, categorically demand that I absolutely have to adopt your views even where I happen to disagree with them?

In my opinion, you are sometimes being too biased towards Apple (or have been) when credits are due to some of Apples competitors. I'll easily admit that Apple makes some great products even though they are not all my cup of tea, but I still like my iPad 3. However, if someone here demands other people to adopt to a certain view here, it has to be you.

[Edited 2012-09-04 13:30:05]

Klaus

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 48):
In my opinion, you are sometimes being too biased towards Apple (or have been) when credits are due to some of Apples competitors.

So a civilized discussion would be impossible unless I simply caved to your opinion? Or what exactly are you proposing?

I also have to live with opinions of yours which I disagree with, sometimes vehemently, and yet I can live with them. That's the very nature of a civilized debate, and by extension, democracy.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 48):
However, if someone here demands other people to adopt to a certain view here, it has to be you.

Absolutely not!

I make my case, but it remains completely up to you whether you adopt any of my arguments, with no personal pressure attached. If you re-examine my discussion contributions you will find that I do not pursue or bully people personally for disagreeing with me,. That is simply not on.

My respect for you is completely unconditional with regard to any topical disagreements.

Could it be actual respect if it was on any such a condition?
(This is actually the main reason why I refuse to use the "respect rating" feature.)