EA CO AS
Topic Author

You're Running For President; What Do You Promise?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:26 am

A-netters are a fairly diverse group, and we have widely-varying political opinions.

I wonder, though - what would each of us try to do once in office if elected President of the United States?

Assume the following:

1. You're eligible to be elected President
2. It's irrelevant what your platform is; you WILL BE ELECTED

Knowing those two things, what would you seek to do once you're sworn in, from an agenda perspective?

For me, my priorities would be:

- Real, comprehensive tax reform where everyone pays their fair share (Flat Tax or similar)
- Make the U.S. much more "business-friendly" by enacting the lowest corporate tax rates in the world to encourage growth
- Cut unnecessary military spending, but only where needed (too many expensive overseas bases, for example)
- Bipartisan focus on creating balanced budgets (and hopefully, surpluses to pay down debt)
- Repeal of Obamacare in its current form
- Enact new healthcare legislation that protects the lifetime maximums and pre-existing conditions language from Obamacare
- Pack the Supreme Court with justices who believe in both the Second Amendment AND leaving Roe v. Wade intact.
- Welfare reform that requires the able-bodied to work and random drug testing

It's a start, anyway.

How about you armchair politicians out there - what would you focus on as President?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

sw733

RE: You're Running For President; What Do You Promise?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:37 am

Legalize it, bro. Legalize it.

Tugger

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Thread starter):
you WILL BE ELECTED

The problem is, being elected doesn't matter if those in Congress swear they will not work with you. You can commit to working with others but then the others will use whatever you say to attack you so they can make sure you won't win the next election.

But to your topic, I would be very similar to what you have stated. Though I suspect that how I would do what you are seeking is just different enough that you would find it objectionable. And I just don't have any idea how I would get it done if I or others can't compromise (i.e pass a "Democrat" or a "Republican" version of something) .

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Newark727

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:43 am

Restoring a sense of civic unity and purpose. We don't share anything as a country. Everyone is in their own sphere, and that's fine, but it's slowly sapping our ability to govern ourselves. For example (and just for example- what I'm talking about occurs in many ways from many people,) when Obama says he wants to let the Bush tax cuts expire except on the middle class. From a wonk perspective, that makes some sense. The rich aren't paying much right now, Uncle Sam needs the money, and we can't put too much pressure on the primary engine of consumer spending. However by framing tax policy in this way, Obama implicitly slices the pie, assigns different responsibilities to different people. Eventually, or maybe already, the top earners' America looks nothing like the "middle class" America. In terms of values, in terms of legal obligation, and as we may be seeing with the divergence of how people interpret the news now, in terms of what reality they accept.

Likewise, we've committed our military to a decade of war. It's true that since the last time we went to war for a long time the logistic and material requirements for supporting it were much different from the way they are today. But there are plenty of our leaders who say the threat and rationale for war is just as important as it was then. So why can I spend a whole week living a fairly ordinary suburban life without seeing a single sign that a war is taking place, outside a few newspaper articles? No one has asked for a sacrifice or a commitment from the public at large to carry out these endeavors, that by our democratic practice we endorse, of sending men and women to kill and die in our name.

In short, our leaders have spent a long time convincing the bulk of us that we can have everything we want, at the expense of a few here or there that won't vote for them. That's no way to hold a country together. If I led I would single nothing out. If taxes were to be raised, they would go up for everyone; if lowered, they would fall for everyone. If we went to war, I would establish programs and surcharges to sustain it that, while not universal in scope, would be at least largely unmissable.

Also, I would appoint some gun-control advocates to the Supreme Court. The NRA has spent years making hay out of sending messages to their members that judicial fiat is about to destroy their rights. It's high time that they actually had a reason to say it.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:13 am

- Real, comprehensive tax reform where everyone pays their fair share (Flat Tax or similar)

I'm not sure what's best here, but I think everyone should have to pay something, even if just a token amount. However, under certain income levels it should just be that bare minimum. As you get higher up the food chain, paying a higher tax rate would seem "fair".

- Make the U.S. much more "business-friendly" by enacting the lowest corporate tax rates in the world to encourage growth

It's going to piss a lot of people off when that company accepts the tax rate cut - then cuts 10,000 jobs. Will there be something to hold them to keeping their operations here?

- Cut unnecessary military spending, but only where needed (too many expensive overseas bases, for example)

Yes.

- Bipartisan focus on creating balanced budgets (and hopefully, surpluses to pay down debt

Amen!

Amen!

Frankly, we are messed up in so many ways that I'm not sure where to start or what could be done. I'd like to see the prison population reduced, but I'm not for legalization of drugs. I'm against abortion, but I agree that there needs to be exceptions. I think we need to penalize companies that move money/jobs overseas by perhaps a higher tax rate - not sure how to judge that or who'd be the judge. I just believe that a small minority of companies/people are harming our nation by milking it for all it's worth while doing so many things that harm our workers/tax income. Until these people/companies change their ways we'll never feel comfortable moving away from the government being our parent/caretaker.

-Dave
-Dave

Aesma

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:17 am

I don't think national policy matters much in a global economy (at least not for the US that has nothing exceptional among developed nations, it's not like you have a tax double the average or something), so I would work mainly on leveling the global playing field. Play hard ball with China to open its markets and let its money evaluate, for example. I would also create a national VAT similar to what exists in the EU, that would help plug the budget and finance health care reform (a new reform that would be far less lucrative for the private sector), and incidentally give an advantage to local production by removing the health care burden from companies, paid for by importations.

I'm not against a flat tax in theory but in practice it wouldn't bring enough money. In fact here even with a progressive tax similar to the US, the VAT brings far more money, a flat tax would be irrelevant unless it was a 50% one (along with a doubling of the minimum wage or something, to help the middle class and poor pay it). I doubt you would support that.

It's interesting that you mention you (we) would get elected no matter what, because in the US it's quite possible, at this point you only have two possible candidates. If one of them had a big problem, say, it was revealed he was committing something illegal, then the other could promise anything, even very unpopular, and get elected. Granted, the house would probably end up in the opposite camp. Here we have at least ten candidates, if one of the two main ones (that combined make barely more than 50% of the first round vote) started promising sweat and blood, he would be booted off the second round.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

YYZatcboy

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:18 am

1. Double the NASA budget and set clear goals for the development of multi purpose launch platforms and destinations etc.
2. Cut military spending
3. Raise taxes for the rich
4. Set a mandatory minimum wage. (None of this 4$ if you are tipped staff nonsense)
5. Fund all the R and D that you can, with the condition that all of the byproducts must stay in the USA for 10 years or face significant penalties. (This includes selling patents and IP as well as setting up manufacturing
6. Legalize non harmful drugs such as Acid, Pot etc and tax them like alcohol.
7. Cut all faith based organization funding including not taxing churches
8. Free university education to all in the STEM fields (And free education to all in second term regardless of degree) provided you maintain a certain average, which will be less than the current bursary and grant boundaries and high enough so that it's not a free ride for you to drink away your school years without passing.
9. Champion the scientific and skeptical examination of major issues such as climate change.
10. Mandate all energy companies begin to invest in alternative and clean fuels or face penalties.
11. Increase accountability. Anyone found to be accepting bribes, or otherwise defrauding the government or the citizens will not only be removed from office, but will be forced to return all pay and benefits (travel etc) that the government spent during their term and will be barred from re election.
12. Get rid of Fox News and shut down any form of media that has been found to deliberately lie to the public to advance political goals. (not just spin or reporting on things with a certain slant, but outright fabrication (like fox))
13. FREE PUBLIC HEALTHCARE/HEALTH INSURANCE (Like what we have in Canada)
DHC1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30 B727 735/6/7/8/9 762/3 E175/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150. J/S DH8D 736/7/8

rfields5421

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Anyone running for President should not promise anything.

1. No one not already in the position can know all the conflicting requirements,

2. The President does not have the ability to control funding or passage of laws - only the ability to influence some of those decisions.

The US President is not a dictator or a king. He is also not a CEO. He has none of those powers.

flyingturtle

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:45 pm

1. A taxpayer-funded unconditional basic income, in the range of 800 to 1000 $ per month and adult, 400 to 500 per month and child. Minimum wages are abolished.

2. Taxpayer-funded healthcare.

3. Independence from foreign energy sources.

4. Copyrights and patents will last for 20 years.

5. Legalizing sale, purchase, possession and use of all drugs if the person is at least 18 years old. Selling contaminated drugs is a criminal offense.

6. A marriage is the union of two or more consenting, non-related human beings.

7. The government actively supports public transportation, and it drastically lowers the cost of education - especially at college and university level.

8. Money shall not be used to conserve wealth anymore. It will be used to promote trade and commerce. To that end, money will lose one to two percent of its value each year.

9. Strict separation of religion and the state. Policies of educational institutions and hospitals are founded on scientific knowledge, not on the values of any religion.

10. A draft for every inhabitant of the country. The draftees can freely chose between the armed forces and civilian duty.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 7):

Amen.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 8):
1. A taxpayer-funded unconditional basic income, in the range of 800 to 1000 $ per month and adult, 400 to 500 per month and child. Minimum wages are abolished.

I think that would be a nice gesture that would do nothing to actually help people. Alaska has the permanent fund dividend that gives money annually to every man, woman, and child. I watched for years as trailer after trailer of people would roll in, kids would be popping out, and abject poverty would ensue. People just wanted the check.

I think you'd actually have a labor shortage because there are so many people who would prefer to just sit on their butts and collect a check - particularly if they'll earn another $6K a year by having a kid.

-Dave
-Dave

ScarletHarlot

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:30 pm

I can't wait, I'm lowering interest rates, my people say:

"Prez, how are you such a genius?
There's a roof overhead
and food on our plates!"

It's laissez-faire, I don't even give a care
Let's make Friday part of the weekend
And give every new baby a chocolate eclair
But that was when I ruled the world

Tugger

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:03 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 9):
I think you'd actually have a labor shortage because there are so many people who would prefer to just sit on their butts and collect a check - particularly if they'll earn another $6K a year by having a kid.

In some ways is is part of the problem right now! The extended unemployment checks have given some the choice to continue to not work because the unemployment is higher than the jobs they are seeing. You can't have permanent payment structures (i.e. welfare without time limits) because a subset of people will use them instead of work. ANd that is not right and fair to everyone else.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 7):

Amen.

The best quote I just recently heard (though I am sure it has been around forever) is: "The President does not control the economy, the economy controls the President." That is the whole problem with making promises on the economy or that are impacted/controlled by it (and for why they are often broken).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

HAWK21M

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Better Security,Less expenditure,more earnings.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

PPVRA

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:40 pm

8. Money shall not be used to conserve wealth anymore. It will be used to promote trade and commerce. To that end, money will lose one to two percent of its value each year.

That's called inflation and it already happens. Also, if you don't conserve wealth you will kill off aviation and other similarly high-level, expensive economic activity.

[Edited 2012-09-06 12:45:49]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

luckyone

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:51 pm

That I only really cared about what the 10-15million people who haven't already decided how to vote (based simply on a D or R) thought.

af773atmsp

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:11 pm

-Continue support for the legalization of gay marriage in all states.

-Allow the increase of oil drilling in the U.S. Any negligence that causes severe environmental damage (like the BP oil spill in the gulf) will face severe consequences. While oil drilling continues, the search and development of new energies will continue.

-Support better public transport infrastructure in major cities. Cut most of Amtrak's routes except the Northeast Corridor and other major routes.

-Decrease the cost to go to college. If someone wants to go to college, but can't afford it, the U.S. government will help.

-Cut military spending. Try to make peace with North Korea and other countries that don't exactly like the U.S. with peace negotiations.
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

DocLightning

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:21 pm

I'd stick with promises I could keep. That means no promises for legislation.

*Will direct the FDA to reclassify cannabis as Schedule II
*Will direct the DOJ and DEA to immediately cease enforcing marijuana possession laws
*Will work to streamline DHS and especially the TSA, including comprehensive, evidence-based reviews of new policies prior to enactment.
*Will withdraw troops from Afghanistan.
*Will refuse to sign any legislation of any sort until taxes are returned to pre-GWB levels.

These are promises that can be handled at an executive level. I can't legalize drugs because that requires an act of Congress. I can, however, stop enforcing drug laws. Similarly, DHS and TSA are under the executive branch. I can't get rid of them, but I can influence how they are run.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PSA53

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:34 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 4):

Amen!

X2 {checkmark

Push for:

1) English official
2) Born in the US abolished
3)Bank reform.This is one of the most important of my policies.Inform banks to go "Back To The Future." Push for higher interests yields on CD's,savings accounts and other investments.When I was growing up I got told,"Put in the bank." As POTUS I want that to happen again and let people's money to grow. "Deferment Payment Program" those with excellent credit ratings get 6 months deferment payment of one or all payment deferment with NO worries on credit score.They can take all at once or spread it out.Those with less credit get 4 months.NO new applications will apply on anything and must be on line with payment record for at least 8 months before deferments can occur.

The banks are the secret of recovery.They are the source of everything in rebuilding.Reform the banks!

4) Government Unions reformed or 401K's.Even democrats have arrived to conclude unions have to big of the pie.
5)Jobs! Jobs! Tax breaks for businesses.
6)Lawyers reform act to restore some sanity.If I had it my way. Awards- up to 1 million non death,3 million death.No class action lawsuits as want business to come back home!
7)Abolish the Dream act in Ca.
8)High speed train in Ca.
9) Do a Kennedy.Send a man to Mars and return him safely to the earth.
10)Welfare reform.All able bodies from 18 to 40 must work for their checks.Eliminate all recreational usage of EBT cards or taxpayer of any kind including alcohol ,vacation or casinos.
11)Downsize international civilian and military.END THE WARS for real.No more broken promises from OBAMA.
12) Accounting of medical and IRS fraud needs to be better monitored.
13)Eminent Domain has been tossed around the cities of San Bernardino and Fontana here in Ca that might try to fix the underwater loans.
14)Promote Green but at the same time exploit America's domestic choices for energy.
15)Once the economy has recover,start thinking about free education for legal citizens of all ages.
16) Open skies for aviation.
17) Promote civilian space travel.
18) Abolish sell shorts on Wall St.

Well.there is my plan.As you can see I've managed to piss everybody off so I'll keep my day job.

VOTE PSA53!!!!

[Edited 2012-09-06 16:54:08]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

flyingturtle

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 13):
That's called inflation and it already happens. Also, if you don't conserve wealth you will kill off aviation and other similarly high-level, expensive economic activity.

No. What I am proposing is called demurrage, not inflation. With demurrage, loss of value is an inherent part of the currency, while inflation is a function of the markets and the economical situation.

You can look up the "Freigeld" concept, where money, like apples, cars and buildings, loses value over time. Money, together with real estate, is the only thing in the world that can be kept for indefinite times and does not lose value. 100 $ are still 100 $ in a hundred years. Isn't that a strange thing? IMHO, yes.

One older Freigeld concept used bills where you had to periodically buy stamps which you had to affix on the money bills, otherwise the bills would be forfeited.

Money, yes, is used to conserve wealth. Without money, we could return to barter trade, and our economy would be crippled overnight. But the idea of Freigeld is that you are forced to spend your money over time, thus pumping back your personal wealth into the economy - something the very rich people do not do.

I think that would be a nice gesture that would do nothing to actually help people. Alaska has the permanent fund dividend that gives money annually to every man, woman, and child. I watched for years as trailer after trailer of people would roll in, kids would be popping out, and abject poverty would ensue. People just wanted the check.

In Switzerland, the average inhabitant already gets more than $1000/month from the state in form of various payments, be it welfare, pensions, jobless pay, reduced healthcare insurance premiums, disability insurance. With an unconditional income, much bureaucratic costs could be cut.

And because people would have a guaranteed income no matter what, many jobs have to be better paid. "Well, why should I work for 8 $ an hour cleaning the streets?" That way, the game would be changed, and jobs that are actually needed by society (like those men cleaning streets and footwalks) will be paid better. The same is with the hitherto unpaid work of mothers and grandparents when they help to raise children.

I know very few people who enjoy welfare payment and the copious amounts of free time. But I know many people who care for their children, look for jobs and if they don't get one, they do voluntary work. The notion that people are lazy by nature simply isn't true, my experience is telling me.

David

[Edited 2012-09-06 17:00:42]
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

AirframeAS

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:28 am

- Enact new healthcare legislation that protects the lifetime maximums and pre-existing conditions language from Obamacare

And to add: remove that silly mandate requirement.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Tugger

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:35 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 19):

And to add: remove that silly mandate requirement.

Those two are mutually exclusive. You cannot eliminate the preexisting conditions requirement and have lifetime maximums without ensuring that everyone signs up. Otherwise everyone will wait until they get sick/have a problem and then sign up. I know I would if I knew I could not be denied coverage.

I guess you might just be advocating to make it an actual tax that the IRS administrates which would of course work (and is how the Supreme Court interpreted the mandate).

Tugg

[Edited 2012-09-06 17:41:49]

Dreadnought

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:45 am

Who would pay for this?

My Platform:

1) Shut down Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and Sally Mae, Repeal CRA - the true cause of the 2008 meltdown.

2) Eliminate all government employee pension plans, in favor of 401Ks, other benefits shall be indexed to prevailing private sector levels.

3) Lift the cap on SSI withholding on your paycheck. If you make $10 million, you will pay $62,000 to SSI.

4) New Income tax system. All earned revenue earned or paid in the US shall be taxed at 5% up to $25K, 10% from $25-$40K, 15% from $40-$50K, 20% from $50-$75K, 25% from $75-$100K, 30% from $100-$150K, 35% from $150-$200K, 40% from $200K and above. No Capital Gains tax. Any stocks or stock options are fully taxable, both at the company level and individually (If you think your CEO is worth $100 million per year, better to just pay him cash and be done with it). Deduction for Mortgage interest (for primary residence only), and tuition expenses, and charities, and nothing else. No tax credits for anything. The principle is that you should be able to figure your taxes on the back of a paper napkin, even if you are Bill Gates.

5) Push for Constitutional Convention (to bypass Congress and push for Amendment requiring the passage of a federal budget every year. If no budget is passed in any year, ALL Congressmen and Senators of the session shall not be eligible for federal office election, re-election, or appointed office, ever.

6) Amendment: All taxes, fees, fines, and the criteria for triggering them shall be set by Congress, not the bureaucracy. No longer shall the EPA and other agencies have free reign to set absurd standards and prosecute for them.

7) Amendment: Re-affirming the 10th Amendment, any function not EXPLICITLY provided for in the Constitution and Amendments shall be disallowed to the federal government. No more broad interpretations of Commerce or Welfare clauses. No more federal bitching about abortion or marriage.

8) Phased elimination of Medicare and Medicaid.

9) Amendment: States shall be required to ensure that their residents are medically insured for catastrophic illness or accident (how they do that is their own business, either through individual mandates or single-payer) at least. Insured status of residents of one state when traveling to another state shall be honored, and billable to the state of residency. Let the states compete and figure out what works, with only a handful of federal guidelines (such as no insurance dropping you when you get sick).

10) Repeal 17th Amendment, to ensure that States re-assert their authority over the federal government.

11) States shall administer Social Security, using block grants from federal government (see point 3), and their own additional funds if they like. This is to take into account and correct for states which have high retiree populations like Florida.

12) No business should have to deal with more than a few pages of federal regulations.

I have a lot more, but those should be enough to piss off just about everyone. I'd never get elected.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:02 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 5):

I don't think national policy matters much in a global economy (at least not for the US that has nothing exceptional among developed nations, it's not like you have a tax double the average or something), so I would work mainly on leveling the global playing field. Play hard ball with China to open its markets and let its money evaluate, for example. I would also create a national VAT similar to what exists in the EU, that would help plug the budget and finance health care reform (a new reform that would be far less lucrative for the private sector), and incidentally give an advantage to local production by removing the health care burden from companies, paid for by importations.

Indeed. What the US needs to prioritize is bringing itself to a more global friendly position. It's past time to end american exceptionalism. To this end, most of what you said is right on, but in addition, it's time to draw down military expenditures and overbearing commitments abroad.

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 6):

Absolutely. There is nothing in our exiting legal framework that says religions are entitled to this free ride.

12. Get rid of Fox News and shut down any form of media that has been found to deliberately lie to the public to advance political goals. (not just spin or reporting on things with a certain slant, but outright fabrication (like fox))

Not sure if we can do this based on 1st amendment issues, but yes, it's time to look into taking measures against interests that present a level of harm to largest balance of citizens. While we can't command them out of business per se, I think something along the lines of prohibitive fines and introducing new tax brackets for such organizations, as well as invasive enforcement of literally every law, rule and regulation (even where seemingly contradictory) would certainly commence.

But most importantly, we spend an ungodly amount of money on military adventures. I'd direct the armed forces to be cut down to a level that's actually necessary for the common defense. I think about 10% of what we actually have is suitable for this end. The only exception I can think of would be maintaining a strong Naval presence in an effort to keep the sea lanes open for trade. But I also feel that it's time for China to pay her dues there too. They want to sell trillions in exports? Great. Time for them to help pay for the infrastructure they use to do so.

The savings here would amount to quite a large percentage of our economic output. A small percentage of this can go toward servicing the national deficit, but let's not get carried away. The truth is that deficit really has a negligible effect
on our daily lives. Our shitty infrastructure, lack of credible public transportation in most cities, lack of free, comprehensive healthcare, and our government's sadly cool treatment of scientific R&D (not limited to but including our complete underfunding of space exploration), does not. These items, indispensable for our future, can easily be afforded by the aforementioned drawdowns.
You Sir, are a very funny lady.

PPVRA

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:14 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 18):
No. What I am proposing is called demurrage, not inflation. With demurrage, loss of value is an inherent part of the currency, while inflation is a function of the markets and the economical situation.

False. Inflation is a monetary phenomenon and is caused by monetary policy - i.e., by people.

You can look up the "Freigeld" concept, where money, like apples, cars and buildings, loses value over time. Money, together with real estate, is the only thing in the world that can be kept for indefinite times and does not lose value. 100 $ are still 100 $ in a hundred years. Isn't that a strange thing? IMHO, yes.

No, it's not a strange thing at all when one of the purposes of money is to be a store of value! And that's only if you are speaking of gold or another commodity backed money, the dollar and euro absolutely lose value.

Lastly, to show how impossible what you seek is, is that as soon as you implement such a thing, people will revert back to trading in commodities - like cigarettes, alcohol, etc. This has happened before. All those things will outlast your monopoly money.

Money, yes, is used to conserve wealth. Without money, we could return to barter trade, and our economy would be crippled overnight. But the idea of Freigeld is that you are forced to spend your money over time, thus pumping back your personal wealth into the economy - something the very rich people do not do.

And if you spend the money on acquiring land and other long lasting resources like gold, silver, copper, steel, wine, art? You don't think it's possible to accumulate wealth in a bartering system? Think again.

An economy based 100% on consumption means we would go the way of Easter Island.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

PHX787

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:56 am

EA CO AS you have my vote  

Love it!

Love it!

LOVE IT!!!!!

- Repeal of Obamacare in its current form

also remove anything elective from coverage.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 1):
Legalize it, bro. Legalize it.

Just marijuana. Age 20 to smoke it.

1. Double the NASA budget and set clear goals for the development of multi purpose launch platforms and destinations etc.

Love it but not that high.

My other stuff:
-Drinking age: 19 if no H.S. diploma, 18 with diploma.
-State issued IDs for every legal citizen, to end the whole voter-id debate. On I.D. will include if 1) H.S. Grad, 2) College student, 2) College grad 3) career
-funds going into research for SMART green energy, not stuff that the hippies think we need.
-funds going to fracking and other forms of oil extraction.
-reform the education system from a school-wide merit base to an individual-merit base, with incentives given to students to succeed based off of what students are interested in.
-removal of tax breaks for green energy. it's too much of a waste of money.
-a national infrastructure pool to keep people moving on the roads with little problems on the roads as possible.
-a national survey of the nation every year to see what the nation's population wants the government to spend tax dollars on, the details of the survey to be based off of congressional budget office suggestions.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

StarAC17

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:17 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 21):
4) New Income tax system. All earned revenue earned or paid in the US shall be taxed at 5% up to $25K, 10% from $25-$40K, 15% from $40-$50K, 20% from $50-$75K, 25% from $75-$100K, 30% from $100-$150K, 35% from $150-$200K, 40% from $200K and above. No Capital Gains tax. Any stocks or stock options are fully taxable, both at the company level and individually (If you think your CEO is worth $100 million per year, better to just pay him cash and be done with it). Deduction for Mortgage interest (for primary residence only), and tuition expenses, and charities, and nothing else. No tax credits for anything. The principle is that you should be able to figure your taxes on the back of a paper napkin, even if you are Bill Gates.

Makes perfect sense!!

Loopholes only exist because the ones who propose them benefit.
The only change I would make to this is that capital gains is 60-70% of your highest marginal tax rate to encourage investment and doing that I would not allow any deferments of losses or earnings. I am by no means in support of a lot of conservative principles but I do think that to encourage investment it should be lower but not that much lower.

9) Amendment: States shall be required to ensure that their residents are medically insured for catastrophic illness or accident (how they do that is their own business, either through individual mandates or single-payer) at least. Insured status of residents of one state when traveling to another state shall be honored, and billable to the state of residency. Let the states compete and figure out what works, with only a handful of federal guidelines (such as no insurance dropping you when you get sick).

If you are going to mandate what a state does then it should be a federal mandate which is what you have now. Also this in contradicted by this.

10) Repeal 17th Amendment, to ensure that States re-assert their authority over the federal government.

What if a state wants the status quo?? The feds have no right to trump it.

In Canada, healthcare is federally mandated but each province controls it by single payer but there are some provinces that allow you to get private coverage. You taxes go to your provincial government but they have the right to cross bill if I as a resident of Ontario need care in BC and vice-versa.

I have a lot more, but those should be enough to piss off just about everyone. I'd never get elected.

Don't worry neither would I  
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 16):
I'd stick with promises I could keep. That means no promises for legislation.

The president only signs legislation they do not write it or pass it. People seem to forget this.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 24):

How do you prove this easily??
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

kiwiinoz

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:41 am

Hmmm, an interesting one. I am not American, but will have a stab at it:

Economy and Infrastructure:

Tax advantages for exporters
Higher tax rates for companies extracting minerals or non-renewable resources, (especially majority foreign owned companies)
Remove taxation for American expats abroad, (encouraging more with money to return home rather than just stay away)
Invest in/subsidise the international tourism industry, particularly for the East Asian market
Continue to invest in a National High Speed rail network
Invest in the high tech services sector particularly for offshore consultancy

Security Foreign

Reduce the obsession with the Middle East
Continue focus on Afghanistan
Improve the balance of assessing military action. (humanitarian, political, economic, security factors) by lessening the focus on economic factors

Security Domestic

No guns
Low tolerance for violent crime, (New York style)

Social

Obamacare stays, with some functional tweaking
Some sort of tackling of the drug issue. Not sure how but this would be high on the agenda
Gay marriage - OK.....Celebrity marriage - banned

PHX787

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:57 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 25):

See my other point about state-issued IDs

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 26):
Celebrity marriage - banned

THANK YOU!

PlanesNTrains

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:30 am

Money, together with real estate, is the only thing in the world that can be kept for indefinite times and does not lose value. 100 $ are still 100 $ in a hundred years. Isn't that a strange thing? IMHO, yes.

Uh, no. Just because a $100 bill is valued at $100 doesn't mean it's worth $100. That bill would have bought you a lot more 25 years ago than it would today. And real estate? I wish mine had kept its value. lol

And because people would have a guaranteed income no matter what, many jobs have to be better paid. "Well, why should I work for 8 $ an hour cleaning the streets?" That way, the game would be changed, and jobs that are actually needed by society (like those men cleaning streets and footwalks) will be paid better.

Welcome inflation and welcome higher taxes to pay for the non-workers. Sounds like a lose-lose to me.

The same is with the hitherto unpaid work of mothers and grandparents when they help to raise children.

Since when are mothers and grandmothers supposed to be paid? Isn't that just part of life? I don't know but this one just sounds odd to me.

I know very few people who enjoy welfare payment and the copious amounts of free time. But I know many people who care for their children, look for jobs and if they don't get one, they do voluntary work. The notion that people are lazy by nature simply isn't true, my experience is telling me.

I think it depends on the person. I know people who would do anything to earn an income and I know people who would do anything to get fired so they could collect unemployment. And I mean, they would boast of it. My liberal friends - who are very educated and thoughtful - would say that there will always be "those people" and that I just need to accept it and get over it. My conservative friends - who are very educated and thoughtful - would say why support and encourage deadbeats to remain deadbeats? I would tend to lean towards the latter, but am willing to be generous if there is a time limit or other expectation placed on them.

3) Lift the cap on SSI withholding on your paycheck. If you make $10 million, you will pay $62,000 to SSI.

Cool. That should shut a few million people up. It'd probably get someone elected.

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 22):
Indeed. What the US needs to prioritize is bringing itself to a more global friendly position. It's past time to end american exceptionalism. To this end, most of what you said is right on, but in addition, it's time to draw down military expenditures and overbearing commitments abroad.

Well, while I can somewhat agree in principle, in practice I have little faith in the interests and security of Americans being supported by the rest of the world. I think there's a good number of people who would get a little pleasure if you will out of seeing the US take a black eye or two. The though of our interests being handed over to the UN Security Council - including China - seems somewhat naive. But hey, if it makes the rest of the world happy....

Absolutely. There is nothing in our exiting legal framework that says religions are entitled to this free ride.

I can deal with that. I'd match it with cutting all non-religious organizational funding as well though. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 6):12. Get rid of Fox News and shut down any form of media that has been found to deliberately lie to the public to advance political goals. (not just spin or reporting on things with a certain slant, but outright fabrication (like fox))
Not sure if we can do this based on 1st amendment issues, but yes, it's time to look into taking measures against interests that present a level of harm to largest balance of citizens. While we can't command them out of business per se, I think something along the lines of prohibitive fines and introducing new tax brackets for such organizations, as well as invasive enforcement of literally every law, rule and regulation (even where seemingly contradictory) would certainly commence.

So censorship because you disagree with their point of view. Got it. Scary.  
lack of free, comprehensive healthcare

Is there some sort of existing legal framework (read: Constitution) that says people are entitled to this free ride? I'm guessing ObamaCare meets that critieria?

-removal of tax breaks for green energy. it's too much of a waste of money.

I disagree. I don't think anything will happen until it all hits the fan again and then we'll all be standing around wondering why the government hasn't done something to encourage alternative energy exploration. I am not necessarily optimistic of some magic pill, but I think encouraging that area of research is not a bad idea.

No guns

No way.

Celebrity marriage - banned

Now you're talking!

-Dave
-Dave

Superfly

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:45 am

EA CO AS for President!   

If Superfly were President;

-10% flat tax across the board. No deductions, loopholes or write offs what so ever.
-Kick out the United Nations and withdrawal from it.
-Cut ALL foreign aid unless there is a dire need such as natural catastrophe.
-Downsize our embassies abroad.
-Secure our boarder
-Get rid of the TSA
-Lift embargo against Cuba
-Gut all noise restrictions on aircraft and gut CAFE laws on auto industry
-Legalize marijuana
-Legalize gay marriage nationally
-Drill for oil everywhere possible
-Adopt a sane, rational national health-care system that has no penalties/taxes/fines
-No rights at all for terrorist
Bring back the Concorde

PHX787

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:01 am

'Fly I'm surprised you haven't issued a national quota on large asian chicks  
Quoting Superfly (Reply 29):
-Kick out the United Nations and withdrawal from it.

Agree partially- I really do like UNICEF

-Cut ALL foreign aid unless there is a dire need such as natural catastrophe.

agree

-Get rid of the TSA

I don't know a single soul who doesn't agree with this right now

-No rights at all for terrorist

burn them for all i care

-Legalize gay marriage nationally

here's where I disagree- this issue shouldn't be an issue at all. I say for right now it's a states' rights issue, let the voters decide. Hell, make it a municipality issue. if you live in an area that doesn't recognize gay marriage, then you probably aren't thriving well there anyway. If you don't like gay marriage and live in Cali, for example, then you probably hate everythjing else cali does, and would survive well in N.C.   

Cadet985

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:05 am

I wouldn't promise anything other then to work with Congress to try to get things done because if you have a Congress that is dead set against you, nothing is going to get done. I would have goals and things that I would like to see done, but to promise anything in advance would be foolish in my opinion.

Remember...POTUS himself has very little actual power. The power lies within the American people and our elected representatives.

If anyone is actually interested, I could post a list of things I would do, if I could.

Marc

Superfly

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:11 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 30):
I really do like UNICEF

I'd kick them out too!

here's where I disagree- this issue shouldn't be an issue at all. I say for right now it's a states' rights issue

I know but I need to keep my liberal credentials.  
Bring back the Concorde

AF1624

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:49 am

Okay I'll try this, sounds like a nice game.

- Like someone above said, "do a Kennedy". Send man to the moon and then to Mars in a timely manner.

Kids used to dream of becoming astronauts, scientists, pilots, etc. The space program was vastly to thank for that. Today they dream of being rockstars. The federal government must show the younger generation all the wonders that science can do.

- Strict separation of church and state. No more funding of churches. No more "in god we trust" on the bills. No more "under god" in the pledge of allegiance. No more state or government funded creationist schools.

- Reality check in schools. The US is not number one. But it should be. That's the idea.

- Free universal basic healthcare: government funds a certain % of health costs for all, and people can individually select private insurance companies to cover for the rest.

- Taxation dependent on annual revenue. 0-20k$ 0%; 20k$-40k$ 8%; 40k$-60k$ 15%; 60k$-80k$ 31%; 80k$-200k$ 35%; 200k$+ 44% // The way this works is the part of your revenue that's under 20k is untaxed, the 20k above are taxed 8%, etc...

- Marriage : union between two or more consenting individuals, no matter what sex. CHURCH marriage NOT RECOGNISED by state or government. Marriage has to take place at the Town hall, recognised by the nation and not by some supernatural power.

- Government or state funded help for those who actually do need it: single parents, parents having children with disabilities be them physical or mental, etc.

- Bring the troops back. Stop policing the world but intervene for peace keeping. Rwanda shouldn't have happened. Syria shouldn't be happening.

- EDUCATION. The US are in dire need for good and cheap education. Listening to Glenn Beck saying that Obama is like hitler or stalin wouldn't have been possible if people were educated correctly.

- Legalise and tax "soft" drugs such as marijuana.

- No more guns. 11000 deaths by gun shot in the US vs. about 200 in France per year, that's 55 to 1, for a population that's 5 to 1. So, accounting for population, 10 times more deaths by gun shot in the US. And why would Americans be more violent than French people? It's about guns being readily available. We all agree that guns don't kill, people do. But people do because they can do easily. I'd have to work my ass off to find a way to kill someone here. In the US, I'd just buy a gun. It's so much simpler to kill with a gun than, say, with a knife. In my mind, shooting would be a lot easier than stabbing. I'm going to get a lot of flack for this...

Etc...
Cheers

PlanesNTrains

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:05 am

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 33):
- EDUCATION. The US are in dire need for good and cheap education. Listening to Glenn Beck saying that Obama is like hitler or stalin wouldn't have been possible if people were educated correctly.

What a bizarre and insulting statement. Do you really think uneducated people are the only ones spewing hate or misinformation? I mean, seriously, what an elitist point of view.

-Dave
-Dave

kiwiinoz

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:46 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 34):
What a bizarre and insulting statement. Do you really think uneducated people are the only ones spewing hate or misinformation? I mean, seriously, what an elitist point of view.

Actually it's generally the educated ones spewing the misinformation. They rely on the uneducated to swallow it

Who's read "Animal Farm"?

AF1624

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 34):

I think we are not talking about the same education here.

By education I mean basic education, not necessarily college education. Geography. History. Litterature. Maths. The basics, in a non-distorted way.

AND

"Do you really think uneducated people are the only ones spewing hate or misinformation?"

Absolutely not. This :

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 35):
Actually it's generally the educated ones spewing the misinformation

However I think is true.

BUT it's the uneducated people who *accept* the misinformation as fact without thinking twice about it. Education allows you to interpret information differently. To see things for what they really are.
Cheers

windy95

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Send all illegal aliens packing and set up a lottery for seasonal work permits.

Offer unemployed the jobs opened by the removing of the illegals. If you deny a job a certain amount of times you are removed from all Federal aid.

Remove all Foreign aid except for natural disaster type of relief

Remove the UN from our shores

Return large portions of our overseas military to home bases here in the States

Truly shut down the borders and ports of entry to the illegals and drug traffickers using the military as a tool to repel this invasion.

Help the states implement drug and alcohol rehabs to help those that cannot afford Club Med

Remove the TSA,

Slash the Dept of Ed and Dept of Ag to much smaller size. They are redundant to what the states already have.

Take all global warming funding away. Combine NOAH, NWS and NASA's weather division to form ONE national weather service.

Restart with private business the manned space program.

Implement a flat or fair tax where all have a hand in the game.

Allowing future new workers to the system the option to opt out of Social Security for their own 401 type of vehicle. Money that cannot be touched or borrowed by the federal Government.

No Collective bargaining rights for federal employees.

Shut down Obamacare

Allow the repatriation of all foreign held cash by US corporations.

Replace the current ATC system with one that will truly help remove congestion and help save wasted fuel.

bjorn14

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:53 pm

(Flat Tax or similar)

I agree. No deductions, no loopholes. The left would claim it will badly affect the poor.

10. Mandate all energy companies begin to invest in alternative and clean fuels or face penalties.

Why would you do that? Asking them to make something they know nothing about. It's like asking a blacksmith to make a dress.

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 15):
-Decrease the cost to go to college. If someone wants to go to college, but can't afford it, the U.S. government will help

Studies have shown that the more grants and loans that become available the costlier collee becomes.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 17):
16) Open skies for aviation.

The US has over a 100 OS agreements now.

The only change I would make to this is that capital gains is 60-70%

Why? Current CG taxes are about 30% How would raising the rate encourage investment?

-10% flat tax across the board. No deductions, loopholes or write offs what so ever.

Most economists supporting the flat tax say it should be between 15-20% but I appreciate your generosity.   

let the voters decide.

..and in the 31 states that it has gone on the ballot they've ALL been voted down. The only reason it has passed in some states is due to their legislatures.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

StarAC17

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 27):

See my other point about state-issued IDs

Missed that, my bad.

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 38):
Why? Current CG taxes are about 30% How would raising the rate encourage investment?

Isn't the rate 15%??

I would make it about 60-70% of the top marginal tax rate so if that was 40%, it would be in the ballpark of 24-28%.

I'm all for CG being lower than income but not over 50% lower.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

PlanesNTrains

Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 36):
BUT it's the uneducated people who *accept* the misinformation as fact without thinking twice about it. Education allows you to interpret information differently. To see things for what they really are.

I think on this statement I just need to check out of this thread.

-Dave
-Dave

Dreadnought

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 36):

Not to mention people who are educated, but have been taught a load of BS. History is full of such examples. The most educated people in the world tried to crucify Galileo. In the Soviet Union "Scientific Socialism" was taught as fact. Many of the finest minds in Nazi Germany and in today's Middle East people teach Blood libel as a fact (the story that Jews use the blood of children to make bread).

Just because you came out of a prestigious university doesn't mean you know squat.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

PHX787

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 32):
I know but I need to keep my liberal credentials.

To save face because of your connections in Sodo---orrrr I mean San Fan  
Quoting AF1624 (Reply 33):
- Strict separation of church and state. No more funding of churches. No more "in god we trust" on the bills. No more "under god" in the pledge of allegiance. No more state or government funded creationist schools.

Agreed but I do like the One Nation under god thing because it's simply apart of our national traditons.

Quoting windy95 (Reply 37):

that's a good idea. if they wanna work here so badly, they should just get a permit.

Remove the TSA,

Seriously, this is a huge    . Selfish, greedy federal unions.....especially those teachers!!! I don't want those people teaching my kids!

..and in the 31 states that it has gone on the ballot they've ALL been voted down. The only reason it has passed in some states is due to their legislatures.

Wellllllllllll that's their choice remember  
Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 39):
Missed that, my bad.

What do u think of it?

YYZatcboy

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:42 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 28):

Recently Fox was denied a license to bring service to Canada because they knowingly falsify information. As I said, not spin, but knowingly lying with an intent to decieve. (It's illegal to lie on broadcast news shows in Canada. THAT is what I would bring to the USA) http://current.com/community/9388632...news-according-to-canadian-law.htm

I can deal with that. I'd match it with cutting all non-religious organizational funding as well though. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

What do you have in mind here? You would cut funding for Drs Without Boarders, UNICEF, Kids Help Phone etc? To me cutting funding for faith based groups and taxing churches would bring them to THE SAME status as these groups, and other not for profit orgs/charities instead of making them a "special case". In this case the other charaties are the goose and the churches are the gander.
DHC1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30 B727 735/6/7/8/9 762/3 E175/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150. J/S DH8D 736/7/8

sccutler

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:37 am

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 43):

Recently Fox was denied a license to bring service to Canada because they knowingly falsify information. As I said, not spin, but knowingly lying with an intent to decieve. (It's illegal to lie on broadcast news shows in Canada. THAT is what I would bring to the USA) http://current.com/community/9388632...w.htm

Interesting.

The article cited doesn't actually provide any information. Perhaps you can help us all out here.

Of what "lies" do you speak?

Every news organization publishes "lies" (as in, false information), at various times. Are they harsh and offensive lies, worthy of censorship, only if they vary from your viewpoint?

Who decides whether the putative "lies" are truthful or false? Would that be a function of a government bureaucrat?

Have you ever done any investigative journalism? Do the perpetrators of bad acts volunteer the facts which prove their guilt?

(edit)

...back from quick fact-check excursion.

It looks as if this whole notion is based upon someone's idea of a funny hoax.

It appears Fox has services in Canada, and have for a considerable period, in both entertainment and news capacities. I got my information from one of myriad published pieces from known news sources like CBC.

Exemplar: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2004/11/18/fox_crtc041118.html

[Edited 2012-09-07 21:57:13]
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:40 am

I'd match it with cutting all non-religious organizational funding as well though. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The problem is that keeping religious orgs off the taxable list is a tacit (and huge) 1st amendment violation. That's what really needs to be addressed.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 42):
Selfish, greedy federal unions.....especially those teachers!!! I don't want those people teaching my kids!

Right. I'd much rather my kids be taught by someone too distracted by deciding whether to pay her rent or utilities this month. The NEA exists for a reason.

s:

Hope you like $12 watermellons.

If you deny a job a certain amount of times you are removed from all Federal aid.

So... Slavery then?

Remove the UN from our shores

Never happen. Besides, that would seriously disrupt our need to be a better world partner.

Slash the Dept of Ed and Dept of Ag to much smaller size. They are redundant to what the states already have.

The states should not have those anyway. There's no need for 50 different sets of standards (especially when some states are downright medieval in their outlooks and prioritization).

Take all global warming funding away. Combine NOAH, NWS and NASA's weather division to form ONE national weather service.

Don't forget to add Coal fired cars and redwood burning power plants while we're at it.

Restart with private business the manned space program.

I thought all you right wingers were about the gov't not telling companies what to do/make. How does this jive?

They're employees with rights and needs too.

Shut down Obamacare

I agree. We need something more comprehensive that covers everyone and eliminates the need for private insurers altogether.

Replace the current ATC system with one that will truly help remove congestion and help save wasted fuel.

I think this is fair. Especially if it can be done in a way to provide more jobs too.
You Sir, are a very funny lady.

sccutler

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:59 am

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 45):

I think this is fair. Especially if it can be done in a way to provide more jobs too.

What, in the current ATC system, causes congestion?

This is not a trick question.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

YYZatcboy

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:28 am

Quoting sccutler (Reply 44):

Interesting.

The article cited doesn't actually provide any information. Perhaps you can help us all out here.

Of what "lies" do you speak?

Every news organization publishes "lies" (as in, false information), at various times. Are they harsh and offensive lies, worthy of censorship, only if they vary from your viewpoint?

Who decides whether the putative "lies" are truthful or false? Would that be a function of a government bureaucrat?

Have you ever done any investigative journalism? Do the perpetrators of bad acts volunteer the facts which prove their guilt?

Actually it turns out that Fox is not actuall banned here, the license was denied to a start up news channel that was supposed to be "fox news North"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...igation/article1898147/%20target=/

For everyone's information this is the part of the law in question.

PART I.1
Broadcasting Content
3. A licensee shall not broadcast

(a) anything in contravention of the law;

(b) any abusive comment that, when taken in context, tends or is likely to expose an individual or a group or class of individuals to hatred or contempt on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age or mental or physical disability;

(c) any obscene or profane language;

(d) any false or misleading news; or

(e) any telephone interview or conversation, or any part thereof, with any person unless

(i) the person’s oral or written consent to the interview or conversation being broadcast was obtained prior to the broadcast, or

(ii) the person telephoned the station for the purpose of participating in a broadcast.

As to who would determine the lies, I suppose that would be the CRTC or perhaps the RCMP

My own experience does not matter in the least and is a distraction to the discussion at hand.

Superfly

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:28 am

I forgot to add;

-Repeal FATCA
-Stop taxing Americans working in other countries
The USA is the only country that does this. It needs to stop.

Most economists supporting the flat tax say it should be between 15-20% but I appreciate your generosity.

15-20% is required for current spending levels. I would cut spending like crazy.

Make the prisoners do it.
That would take the ''cool'' factor out of prison.
Seems to be glamorized by media and rap culture.

Shut down Obamacare

Damn right!

Hope you like $12 watermellons.

They wont be $12 if we have prison laborers doing the work.
Bring back the Concorde

fr8mech

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:56 am

The problem is that keeping religious orgs off the taxable list is a tacit (and huge) 1st amendment violation. That's what really needs to be addressed.

In my opinion, it's the First Amendment that compels the government to provide tax exempt status for all religious organizations. The power to tax something is the power to ban or destroy something. That having been said, I do believe the laws and regulations regarding the tax exempt status of religious organizations need to be reviewed.

As a couple of folks have already commented, I would not promise anything that required actual legislation.

I would do what I can to reduce the regulatory burden on the people and the businesses of the US. Since the regulatory agencies belong to the Executive, so do the regulations that these organizations promulgate. A comprehensive review of such regulations would be in order.

Before I signed any legislation, The Congress would need to tell me under what authority they wrote the legislation and its cost.

The same for any agency. That agency would have to provide authority for the regulation and its cost.

The President is supposed to be a leader. A visionary. He is supposed to set the tone for Congress. He can't write legislation, but he can certainly lobby for what he wants. Most of all, the president needs to be able to bring the 2 political parties together, especially if they split Congress.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.