fr8mech
Topic Author

We All Belong To Government?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:26 pm

This is an interesting choice of words:

"The government is the only thing we all belong to."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLa9Te8Blw

Not, we all share a government. Or, the government belongs to all of us. Or, the government is for all the people. The DNC says "government is the only thing we all belong to".

What I really find interesting is the following clip where Freedom Works talked to a few folks at the DNC. Now, I realize that not every response is reported, but I find some of the comments illuminating.

http://www.freedomworks.org/blog/lheal/we-all-belong-to-the-government

I think it's just part of that mask slipping off, much like the DNC vote on Jerusalem and the inclusion of God in the platform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG6qgSfaARE
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

casinterest

RE: We All Belong To Government?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Really?
Hmmm....Government of the people, by the people , for the people. Ring any bells?
We all belong to the Government in the same way that people belong to a club. It is what they make it to be.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Dreadnought

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 1):
We all belong to the Government in the same way that people belong to a club. It is what they make it to be.

My application to join the government must have gotten lost in the mail, because I don't remember filling one in.

Such thinking is quite feudal. In the days of serfs and nobility, (and even in some modern countries), you are a subject - the government or monarch owns you. We are citizens. We don't belong to the government in any way, no more than your employer owns you, or your insurance company owns you.

But this sort of thinking is quite typical of the Progressive movement.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

casinterest

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 2):

My application to join the government must have gotten lost in the mail, because I don't remember filling one in

Where is your application to chutch?
And your stance on immigration and citizenship is?

We are citizens. We don't belong to the government in any way, no more than your employer owns you, or your insurance company owns you.

Apparently expansive thinking is not required in ultra Conservative circles. We belong to the government in that we are it's resources, it's protectors, it's defendors, it's constituents. We belong based on Citizenship to the Unitied states, where Goverment is for the people, but by the people.
But maybe you don't belong to the GOP? You are a citizen of it?

aloges

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:12 pm

That's exactly what I got from the statement. I guess you have to be particularly paranoid to read it as a claim to property... I wonder where that paranoia might come from.

Quoting fr8mech (Thread starter):
I think it's just part of that mask slipping off

Oh, found it!

much like the DNC vote on Jerusalem

I am astonished to read that the capital of Israel is an issue for the platform of an American party.

the inclusion of God in the platform

Somehow, I don't think that the Christian God will would have cried over that exclusion... as an omniscient and omnipotent fictional character, political gibberish must be very low on its list of priorities.  
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

mt99

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Just as stupid (and along the same lines) as "Corporations are People" ...

You get pick who "owns" you: Government or Corporations?
Step into my office, baby

garnetpalmetto

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:14 pm

That's how I read it too, cas. "Belong" doesn't necessarily imply ownership. I belong to a running club. Last I checked they didn't imply any ownership rights over my being. There are, after all, multiple definitions of the word "belong" and it seems that Freedom Works is trying to rile up their membership by heavily implying one definition was meant when the other seems to be what was meant.

My application to join the government must have gotten lost in the mail, because I don't remember filling one in.

There's that whole notion of the social contract at play, Dreadnought. Beyond that, if you decided you no longer wanted to be a member of the United States you're free to give up your citizenship and choose another nation to reside in.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

aloges

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:18 pm

We don't belong to the government in any way, no more than your employer owns you, or your insurance company owns you.

Again, "to belong" can mean "to be part of" as much as it can mean "to be property of". You belong to the male population, but I do believe rather strongly that you are not its property...   

...aaand here we go again, accusatory generalisations over something that nobody actually said

Dreadnought

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 7):
Again, "to belong" can mean "to be part of" as much as it can mean "to be property of".

But I am not. I do not belong to my Electric Utility, nor am I a part of it. It exists. My tax dollars and monthly bills help support it. It exists to provide a service. But we are not part of each other.

Government exists to serve our needs that cannot otherwise be provided. Nothing more or less.

FlyPNS1

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 9):
Government exists to serve our needs that cannot otherwise be provided. Nothing more or less.

But if no one belongs to the government, then why do we have a right to vote? Why not just let some faceless bureaucrat make all decisions? I'm not saying I believe this is the right path, but if you truly believe people aren't part of the government, then why do they have the power to vote and control government behavior?

casinterest

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 pm

My tax dollars and monthly bills help support it. It exists to provide a service

Your tax dollars......Through Government......(of which you belong) pays the Utility service to offer services you could not support on your own. you don't want to own the Utility, so you belong to Government which provides it for you and others collectively.

aloges

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 pm

But we are not part of each other.

Nobody said that you're a part of every group or organisation with whom you do business. You seem to be arguing that you don't belong to any such entity that you did not deliberately join - so I refer you back to my earlier statement:

You belong to the male population, but I do believe rather strongly that you are not its property.

Neither are you, or did anyone say that you are, the property of "the government" - local, state or federal. But since you live in a democratic country and are its citizen, you are part of a people that, ultimately, governs itself. Any and all power that is given to your elected representatives and officials is given to and also taken from them by the people. So you do indeed belong to the group that governs your country - you belong to your own government.

It'd be interesting to discuss the state of someone who has lost his or her right to vote... I'd have to say that they have been expelled from the group/government.

Dreadnought

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 10):
But if no one belongs to the government, then why do we have a right to vote?

My electric utility is Municipal owned, and as a resident, I can show up to vote every couple of months when they have their meetings. I'm constantly getting their mailers and proxy info (it's really annoying, actually, the frequency).

So where is the difference? The Fed of course can mint their own money and is much bigger in scale, but it's essentially my electrical utility writ large.

casinterest

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 13):
So where is the difference?

None, you belong to your Municipality which has an Electric Writ, ...
You still belong to the government.

rfields5421

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:52 pm

because I don't remember filling one in.

Your parents filled it out - it is called a birth certificate.

Did you every apply to have a driver's license, or to vote?

Those are also documents where you apply to be part of the government of this nation.

Mine was even simplier, my oath as I put on the uniform to defend this nation.

DocLightning

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 pm

If you "belong to" a club, it doesn't mean that you are the property of the club. You are a member.

You are making a mountain out of a known idiom.

It happened when you were born without your input, I suppose. If you do not wish to belong to the government, you need only renounce your citizenship. Of course, that has its own consequences...

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 8):

The government exists to establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:35 am

Government of the people, by the people , for the people. Ring any bells

Of the people: a government drawn from the people.
By the people: elected by the people.
For the people: in service to the people.
Quoting aloges (Reply 4):
Somehow, I don't think that the Christian God will would have cried over that exclusion... as an omniscient and omnipotent fictional character, political gibberish must be very low on its list of priorities.

I could give a rat's patut if the DNC (or the GOP, for that matter) omits God or Jerusalem from their platform. What I saw and heard was the DNC leadership tell their delegates to go shove it. We don't care how you vote, this is the way its going to be.
Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 6):
"Belong" doesn't necessarily imply ownership.

I agree, that in this case, it probably (I hope) is what they mean, but I find the choice of words interesting and revealing. They could have said that we all share a government. Same thing. They could have said that we all form a government. I like that and much more accurate. But the DNC chose the word "belong" and the baggage that word brings with it. And quite simply, if the head folks at the DNC didn't notice the baggage, what does that say about their mindset?

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:42 am

ALL YOUR GOVT ARE BELONG TO US
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

fr8mech
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:59 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 17):
ALL YOUR GOVT ARE BELONG TO US

I was going to toss that out there, but restrained myself.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:46 am

I am astonished to read that the capital of Israel is an issue for the platform of an American party.

I'm astonished that they actually have to figure it out.

It's important to the people who are electing their representatives. You may not care if God is included or even exists, but there are a fair number of Americans who do, and that's why it matters. Again, the fact that they have to stumble over themselves to even decide whether to include God speaks volumes to people to whom God speaks volumes.

It isn't the biggest deal in the world, it just shows where the DNC is headed.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 15):
The government exists to establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

Proof that those 70's Saturday morning public service messages really resonated.   (or am I the only one who sang those words in my head?)

-Dave
-Dave

aloges

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:58 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 16):
What I saw and heard was the DNC leadership tell their delegates to go shove it. We don't care how you vote, this is the way its going to be.

If that's your problem with it, I agree completely. Funny definition of "democratic process"...

PanHAM

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:36 am

You belong to the male population, but I do believe rather strongly that you are not its property...

With a few exceptions, one belongs either to the male or the female population.
Belonging to the government means you are part of it. That is actually a very exclusive club
People belong to a church, or, as was said before to a club or many clubs.,
People belong to ethnic groups

The government does not own the people, nor do the people own the government

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 9):
But if no one belongs to the government, then why do we have a right to vote?

"We, the people" - have the right to form oalitions and vote for bodies like the Congress, the Senate, the President

The same basic law that gives us the right to vote gives us the right to be free as an individual. We "belong to..." by choice, not by ownership.

Ownership or treating people as subjects is feudal, regardless what the political color is.

[Edited 2012-09-11 00:37:03]
powered by Eierlikör

casinterest

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 21):
Belonging to the government means you are part of it. That is actually a very exclusive club

In the US thought, you can belong to the government by being a representative, either elected, or volunteering, or serving.

It may be an exclusive club, but at any point a US citizen can take part. We do belong to the Government.

PanHAM

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:02 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 22):
We do belong to the Government.

well, but only once you take up a position. it is a matter of how you define "Government"..

That can be Federal State or City.

A nminister and a state sevcretary is certainly part of the government.

A public servant is government staff, but not part of the government.

powered by Eierlikör

Dreadnought

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 22):
It may be an exclusive club, but at any point a US citizen can take part. We do belong to the Government.

Do you belong to your employer? Do you belong to your employee?

There seems to be a substantial lack of understanding of the difference between nation and government. You can belong to a nation. But a government is nothing more than an service company - a utility. The government belongs to us, not the other way around.

casinterest

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:29 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 24):
But a government is nothing more than an service company - a utility. The government belongs to us, not the other way around.

Wrong. Government is not just a utility. It is everything in that Constitution you so emptily cling to apparently.

We belong to the Government just as that Goverment belongs to us. Folks in that Government are elected, appointees, volunteers, and hired workers, but above all that, they are citizens, not some little greedy business. They are folks that at the end of the day are working to make this country great.

If your view is that you don't belong to the government as a member, then you must just be more comfortable with the material and greedy point of view that belonging implies ownership. I suppose you don't belong to church, or you don't belong to a family.

[Edited 2012-09-11 07:53:18]

garnetpalmetto

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:37 pm

But a government is nothing more than an service company - a utility. The government belongs to us, not the other way around.

Again, however, you're deliberately choosing the use of "belong" with the definition that implies ownership privileges rather than the definition that implies membership. Once more - my wife belongs to a church. Do they "own" her? No, but she would say she belongs to that denomination and that particular congregation just as we belong to the government. Think of it in the sense that you have a voting share in a co-op called the United States of America. Within that co-op there's several sub co-ops that you also have a voting share in. In turn you get the benefits of membership in that co-op by virtue of your continued citizenship. Should you choose, at any time you may leave that co-op at which point you'd cease to belong to it.

This whole issue is the semantic issue of making a mountain out of a molehill. Clearly there are some trying to play up to the fear inherent in some that "government's out to get you" and is conflating this with some sinister or nefarious plan.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

FlyPNS1

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:45 pm

There seems to be a substantial lack of understanding of the difference between nation and government.

I'd argue they are one in the same. There's really no such thing as a nation without a government. How would you even know who is part of the nation, if you didn't have a government to set the rules for citizenship or what the boundaries of the nation are?

Dreadnought

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 27):
I'd argue they are one in the same.

No it is not the same. It's like the difference between Law and Justice. Justice is a concept - the idea that we should treat people fairly. Law is man's sometimes imperfect attempt to solidify the ethereal concept of Justice and condense it down on paper. When people say that an injustice was done (such as the Casey Anthony case), that is because our abilities to translate justice into law did not quite work - but that is the natural limitation of being a nation of laws - we have to obey what's on paper, even if we think it was flawed. It is our duty to refine and rewrite the law to make it more perfectly reflect our concept of justice, but in a nation of laws you cannot simply ignore the law when you believe that the law is wrong in the face of justice - that's the whole problem with Judicial Activism.

The Nation is a Concept - particularly the US which was founded on some pretty heavy-duty philosophical concepts of Natural Law etc, those concepts found in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Federalist Papers, and other documents. THAT is our Nation. THAT is something you can swear allegiance to, to feel a part of. The Flag is a symbol is a symbol of the nation, which explains why we pledge allegiance to the Flag, (the nation). The government that was created thereof is but our attempt to solidify those concepts, but it is not the same as the Nation. If we were to pledge allegiance to the government, that would (rightfully) raise all sorts of specters of fascism and dictatorship.

FlyPNS1

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 28):
The government that was created thereof is but our attempt to solidify those concepts, but it is not the same as the Nation.

In some vague philosophical world, you might be right. But in the practical real world, the nation = the government. You may not like that, but that is real-world practicality...not touchy feely concepts.

And if Nation is a concept, couldn't anyone declare themselves part of our Nation simply by believing or pledging allegiance to the same concepts? Is an Afghani goat-herder part of our Nation if he claims to have the same belief system?

[Edited 2012-09-11 08:47:34]

flipdewaf

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 16):
And quite simply, if the head folks at the DNC didn't notice the baggage, what does that say about their mindset?

It says that they don't really care about people who purposefully misconstrue their words and don't spend time trying to placate those who have an agenda against them.

Fred

PanHAM

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 27):
I'd argue they are one in the same. There's really no such thing as a nation without a government. How would you even know who is part of the nation, if you didn't have a government to set the rules for citizenship or what the boundaries of the nation are?

"belong" -- the definition is "be the property of"

no person is the property of anyone. Period.

the nation and the government is certainly not the same. The nation is the confessed body under which all citizens unite.
The government is elected for 4 years and has to stand new elections after that time.

The government does not set rules, the elected deputies of the people - Congressmen and Senators in the case of the US - vote on issues and bills presented to them by the government. Details are egulated oin the basic law, the consitution which is paramount on all decisions and laws.

The government is only one part in a democracy, it is the executive body which is supervised be the legislative body and the supreme court as the judiciary body decides on disputes.