Asturias
Topic Author

BBC: IPhone Launches; Nobody Cares

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:58 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19557497

[fair use excerpt:]

Apple seems less interested in blowing people away than it is in milking profit out of the existing lineup. At this Cook is doing marvellously well.

Apple has more than $100bn in cash. Its market value of $632bn makes it the biggest company in the world, bigger than any company in US history.

That's great for Apple's shareholders. But for customers, who cares? In terms of products, Apple has become the one thing it should never be. Apple has become boring.

----------------------------

That pretty much sums up Apple today; fat, bloated, rich and lazy. And boring.

I have never been as underwhelmed at any Apple related launch as I was for the iPhone 5 today and after the presentation, my general reaction was: meh.

This never happened before, but it seems to be true; Apple is.. boring. The new and exciting stuff comes from the Android platform and Windows 8.
Tonight we fly

Dreadnought

RE: BBC: IPhone Launches; Nobody Cares

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Quoting Asturias (Thread starter):
This never happened before, but it seems to be true; Apple is.. boring. The new and exciting stuff comes from the Android platform and Windows 8.

Klaus' head just exploded.

Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

flanker

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:20 pm

I am not an Apple fan boy, I have never owned their products but I will give them credit where credit is due and on the same token I will be critical when they deserve it.

For anyone to expect to be "blown away" by a line of product that is in its 5th generation is unrealistic. What they have done is improve a product.

Revolutionary leaps do occur maybe 2-3 times a decade but to expect it from the same product line every single year is a tad crazy.

I think people will enjoy the LTE connectivity very much. Even though I will not own one, that alone makes the new model worth it in my opinion.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Asturias
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:20 pm

This isn't exclusive to the iPhone or the tablets Apple makes, the innovations have been 'thinner' laptops, high density pixels on laptops, same old iMacs (also thinner for some odd reason) and no real progress on Mac Pros.

The designs are old (defenders say they're perfect, but I don't buy it) and there is no real interest in innovation.

There is a great interest in marketing and retail - Apple would have you use their products, Mac and iOS as devices for their media distribution (be it music or apps) and little else.

There was a time, not half a decade ago, when Apple was running on 12 cylinders, churning out new and exciting iPods, Macs, iPhones ... and they were all best in class. They were not as restricted to their failing 'cloud' strategy and one didn't need to enter passwords every other second and have the credit card at the ready.

The iLife apps are dying a slow lingering death, where every update focuses mostly on new Apple designed templates, instead of new features enabling Adobe to take over where Apple was making great strides before.

iTunes 'updates' (like the one today) is just to add support for the new iOS devices they have announced. Granted there is a redesigned iTunes on the way, but it isn't so much the design of the thing that is the problem - rather the lack of focus and the bloaty feeling of the entire program.

Apple's meteoric rise was the product of great work and innovation, not by standing still and cashing in. Though I can see why that's tempting not, it is really uninspiring and dare I say: boring.
Tonight we fly

Klaus

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Quoting Asturias (Thread starter):
That's great for Apple's shareholders. But for customers, who cares? In terms of products, Apple has become the one thing it should never be. Apple has become boring.

So what's supposed to be new about an article like that?

Even when the iMac, the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad were presented you could read articles like that, often accompanied by a dip of the stock price.

The only news would be if actually nobody posted an article just like that – then there might really be cause for actual concern...!

In this context a look at the two Apple-related threads pretty clearly proves otherwise already (including, notably, intense participation of yourself).

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 3):

Why should it?

Although it might if I was actually caught in a shirt like that...   

Asturias
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 5):
I am not an Apple fan boy, I have never owned their products but I will give them credit where credit is due and on the same token I will be critical when they deserve it.

Same here, though I tend to be more of an Apple fan than not.

For anyone to expect to be "blown away" by a line of product that is in its 5th generation is unrealistic. What they have done is improve a product.

Indeed, and in fact in the case of the iPhone, it isn't that bad as such - but if the hardware couldn't be pushed forward, then the OS definitely could.

The other mobile OSs have progressed leaps and strides and by comparison make the iOS look and feel dated. That's something Apple's designers and engineers definitely could have worked on if the phone itself is mature.

Therein lies my criticism.
Tonight we fly

Klaus

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 9):
The other mobile OSs have progressed leaps and strides and by comparison make the iOS look and feel dated. That's something Apple's designers and engineers definitely could have worked on if the phone itself is mature.

Therein lies my criticism.

If you prefer superficial modifications over consistent progression and long-term upgrades, you will likely be better served with something other than iOS.

I don't have a problem with preferring consistency and usability over superficial changes, particularly when those distract from usability more than actually serving it. But that is certainly a matter of personal preferences.

Asturias
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 8):
Even when the iMac, the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad were presented you could read articles like that, often accompanied by a dip of the stock price.

Anecdotally there seems far less interest. Even the release thread at Macrumors barely dipped above 1000 posts (vis a vis the 5000+ post when the the Verizon iPhone 4 was launched)

The newspapers carry the story, but with little fanfare and the replies are scarce and muted.

Anticlimactic.

There have of course always been some writers banking on writing something negative about Apple, but this isn't one of them.
Tonight we fly

MrChips

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:38 pm

I just upgraded to a Galaxy S3 three weeks ago; I'll admit, at the time, I felt like I should have waited to see how the iPhone 5 turned out. All of a sudden, I'm glad I didn't; the specs between the 5 and the S3 are nearly a dead match, except the S3 has a larger screen and better battery life (supposedly).
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

Asturias
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Quoting MrChips (Reply 12):
I just upgraded to a Galaxy S3 three weeks ago; I'll admit, at the time, I felt like I should have waited to see how the iPhone 5 turned out. All of a sudden, I'm glad I didn't; the specs between the 5 and the S3 are nearly a dead match, except the S3 has a larger screen and better battery life (supposedly).

Indeed, last time around when the iPhone 4 was introduced it was basically 6 months ahead of any competitor - but oddly the Samsung Galaxy SIII is taking that spot now.

The iPhone 5 is actually outdated before it is released. I may be expecting too much of Apple, but seeing as they're losing marketshare to the competition very fast, I'd expect them to want to stay ahead of the game.

So far the Galaxy SIII has outsold the iPhone 4S in the USA, and by leaps and bounds in Europe, perhaps this will change with the iPhone 5... but I'm not so sure. Time will tell, but the iPhone is both more limited and older tech than the SIII and more expensive.
Tonight we fly

flanker

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:45 pm

I am perfectly happy with my S3 
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Klaus

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 11):
Anecdotally there seems far less interest.
Anecdotally the same was said about the iPhone 4S (the "disappointing" iPhone!) – and yet its sales have eclipsed all its predecessors with pretty much the same geometrical growth as the ones before.

There is no doubt that the audience tends to get more jaded with old age as I can attest to from my own perspective.

But on the other hand one may also become more relaxed about "end of the world" claims in general.

Quoting Asturias (Reply 13):
So far the Galaxy SIII has outsold the iPhone 4S in the USA

The S3 being in its first, the 4S in its fourth quarter. Not a big surprise.

[Edited 2012-09-12 14:57:18]

Ken777

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:00 pm

I believe that Apple put more into the new iPhone than most people realize. The video on the Apple site shows a few bits of design & engineering efforts.

Apple has been shifting product focus for some time now. A hard focus on notebooks and the result is the best selling notebook like in the US.

The iOS market is ver profitable for Apple, with more due next month in a smaller iPad.

Where we need some attention now is in the desktop lines. That is the only area of frustration for me.

Quoting Asturias (Reply 13):
So far the Galaxy SIII has outsold the iPhone 4S in the USA

It's no surprise that a new product will outsell last year's product. The 4S is now going to be $99 IIRC.

casinterest

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 16):
I believe that Apple put more into the new iPhone than most people realize. The video on the Apple site shows a few bits of design & engineering efforts.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/appl...-5-specs-features/?olo=editorspick

I agree,
The change in HW is pretty impressive. Also IOS 6 offers some distinct advantages. I think the OP and others are happy about their Samsung, and that is nice. But to quote an article written by a known apple attacker is really not a good source for the mood of the consumers. However for ease of use and supported software Apple gets kudos. IOS6 is going to run on the 3GS which is now over 3 years old.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Asturias
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 15):
Anecdotally the same was said about the iPhone 4S (the "disappointing" iPhone!) – and yet its sales have eclipsed all its predecessors with pretty much the same geometrical growth as the ones before.

The problem is that the competition's models are now eclipsing the iPhone. That's new, at least in the USA.

However, I have a well placed finger on the pulse of Apple, and it's no 'business as usual' this time. I wouldn't bet the farm that the iPhone 5 outsells the Galaxy SIII the next quarter.

Though it will outsell it's older siblings, such as the iPhone 4S, but that's neither here nor there.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 15):
The S3 being in its first, the 4S in its fourth quarter. Not a big surprise.

Yeah, I mentioned that, but the SIII is probably going to outsell the 5 this quarter. It's a better phone and cheaper to boot.
Tonight we fly

Klaus

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 18):
The problem is that the competition's models are now eclipsing the iPhone. That's new, at least in the USA.

As far as I'm aware it has in fact happened before in trailing quarters. And Apple has never had a majority of the market anyway, numbers-wise, nor have they even gone for it.

However, I have a well placed finger on the pulse of Apple, and it's no 'business as usual' this time. I wouldn't bet the farm that the iPhone 5 outsells the Galaxy SIII the next quarter.

You can bet whatever you want – we'll see how things will turn out.

Yeah, I mentioned that, but the SIII is probably going to outsell the 5 this quarter. It's a better phone and cheaper to boot.

Samsung will be happy to have you as their customer if that is your personal opinion.

Ken777

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:26 pm

The iPhone 5 is going to be like previous versions - people will look at it at an Apple Store (or carrier store) and make a decision. Carriers will also be pushing their sales staff to push non-Apple brands (because they are cheaper for the carrier) and a lot of customers will flip a coin on what to buy.

People with an iPhone or an Android phone will probable stick with their brand because of the software investments they have made.

I wouldn't bet the farm that the iPhone 5 outsells the Galaxy SIII the next quarter.

Android will probably outsell the iPhones (all models) for the year and Apple will continue to be satisfied with their sales and overall performance.

It's a better phone and cheaper to boot.

Delighted you are enjoying yours. But surprised at your ability to make an evaluation of the differences of the two when the iPhone has yet to hit the market.

BTW, did you see the video on apple.com that shows some of the production bits?

Quoting Klaus (Reply 19):
And Apple has never had a majority of the market anyway, numbers-wise, nor have they even gone for it.

Having the majority of the market isn't the most important factor. Profitability, customer satisfaction, developers participation and satisfaction with their compensation, and loyalty levels are all more important than which company sells the most product.

hOMSaR

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 am

Where we need some attention now is in the desktop lines. That is the only area of frustration for me

Honest question here:

Other than, perhaps, really high-powered computer applications (and you may very well need them, I don't know), is there really a reason to have a desktop computer anymore?

I bought a new laptop in June (Dell), bought a USB docking station, hooked up my regular keyboard and monitor, and use it as a desktop. Back when I had a separate desktop and older laptop, I almost never used the desktop.

What applications are out there today that truly need capability that laptops can't provide? What percentage of the total computer users out there actually would need to own a desktop instead of a laptop because they use those applications?
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.

DocLightning

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:22 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 3):

Oooh. Messy!

Revolutionary leaps do occur maybe 2-3 times a decade but to expect it from the same product line every single year is a tad crazy.

Bingo. As has been pointed out? What other "revolution" is there?

We haven't figured out how to make actual tactile buttons rise up out of the flat screen yet. I'm sure Apple is trying to figure out how. We haven't figured out how to project 3D holograms into the thin air just yet. I'm sure Apple is trying to figure out how. Honestly, I thought Siri was pretty neat.

But until someone figures something really Sci-Fi out, how to execute it well without frequent crashes and failures, and how to make it mass-producible, there won't be any earth-shattering upgrades.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

EA CO AS

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:34 am

Well, as an iPhone 4 owner, I'm giddy at the thought of getting iOS6 on my existing device, and will check out the iPhone 5 in the stores to determine if the size difference is a make-or-break for me. Odds are I'll take the plunge, since the LTE speed is my major "want" on it, but if it's physically bigger than I want I may pass.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

majestic477

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:47 pm

when you start suing people because the shape of things, you will think twice when changing the way yours look lest.....
Bye the way i think apple is great the only downside is restrictions. Heck you cant even transfer pics via bluetooth between two apple products.E

PPVRA

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 6):
There was a time, not half a decade ago, when Apple was running on 12 cylinders, churning out new and exciting iPods, Macs, iPhones ... and they were all best in class.

Maybe this is a technology problem, rather than an Apple problem? I don't see Android OEMs churning out anything really mindblowing, either.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

wingman

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:06 pm

So much hatred for Apple, the phone provider with the lowest OS market share. It reminds me of Visa and MasterCard issuers always attacking AmEx, another provider with the lowest market share, but never each other. I guess it's because they know their products are all really just the same under the covers.

Companies like AmEx and Apple are just different. They do their own thing and come up with some truly amazing stuff: changing the music business, revolutionizing the phone set industry, creating loyalty programs that are still the gold standard to this day. But come on people, you can only come up with so much genius in any given decade.

I have a droid myself. It's the one Apple product I don't have in my arsenal and the thing is truly a piece of garbage. This is a 2.5 yeard old Droid X with some of the worst UI you can imagine. I take it the SIII is a quantum leap, and I'll give that one a go vs. the i5, but credit where it's due. Apple did change this business and both Apple lovers and Google lovers should be thankful. Having Apple and Samsung and Google etc. duke it out will mean good things for everyone.

PS: Klaus! Personal question...if you have all this cloud stuff with Apple do you still need 64GB or can you just save everything up there and take the 16?

comorin

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:11 pm

It's like the 777X - nobody cares...

mt99

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 27):
Maybe this is a technology problem, rather than an Apple problem?

Software, apps. iOS ,and the ecosystem is the key - the physical containers of it (ie iphone, and eventually ipad) will become less and less relevant. - and that is where Apple's growth will come from.. the fact that i can control stream my itunes collection on my main stereo system, controlling it thru my iphone while laying in bed reading..

Not to mention the halo effect from iphone to the rest of the offering..

How many versions of Android are they? My boss keeps rebooting his Galaxy phone at least 2 a day - he is quite vocal about it.

S3 are nearly a dead match, except the S3 has a larger screen and better battery life

Sure, but the S3 feel a bit on the cheap side when you handle it.. the plastic back?
Step into my office, baby

BlueElephant

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 30):

Sure, but the S3 feel a bit on the cheap side when you handle it.. the plastic back?

It may look cheap but the fact of the matter is - you drop an iPhone and you end up paying 200 dollars to have it repaired. You drop an S3 - and nothing happens other than some cosmetic scratches. I have a Galaxy Nexus and I can't tell you how many times I've dropped it on concrete - no case. I can't also tell you how many times I've seen damaged iPhones.

I'm not an Apple fan boy, I don't really care for Apple products, but I do expect them to do things a little crazy. It seems thought that Apple has turned into the Porsche of the tech world.

Take a Porsche 911:

Stretch it horizontally - Caymen
Strech it vertically - Cayenne
Stretch it horizontally and take the roof off - Boxster
Take out some heavy stuff and put in a more powerful engine - Turbo.

Apple is doing the same thing - and while those apple fan boys will be brainwashed into thinking this iPhone 5 is the best thing in the world - It's not really anything new.

mt99

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:23 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 31):
It's not really anything new.

That's fine - Marketing 101: "You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle" - As long as you accept that the iphone is at least on the same ballpark as other phones - Whats wrong with a little marketing?

can't also tell you how many times I've seen damaged iPhones.

Me too! - but that could be just beacuse there are more iphones around!

Porsche of the tech world.

So? At the end of they day they are in it to make $$? is Porsche making $$, is Apple $$?

It may look cheap but the fact of the matter is

If im paying the same price for a similar phone - i would rather it not look or feel cheap. That's just me.

D L X

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:28 pm

It may look cheap but the fact of the matter is - you drop an iPhone and you end up paying 200 dollars to have it repaired.

This is not true.

I've dropped my iPhone 4 on a brick fireplace multiple times without problems. Last week, I (embarrassingly) dropped it in the sink, filled with water, and the thing still works.

I also cannot agree with this.

It used to be that if you made a computer 4 times faster, that was considered a breakthrough. It's certainly worth $200. That alone is reason enough for me to upgrade.

But anyway, it sucks that I've been drawn into this clearly flamebaiting thread. The OP has an axe to grind, and will not be swayed by anyone else's contrary opinions.

garnetpalmetto

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 28):
So much hatred for Apple, the phone provider with the lowest OS market share.

Lowest OS market share would be WebOS or Symbian, not iOS.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 30):

How many versions of Android are they? My boss keeps rebooting his Galaxy phone at least 2 a day - he is quite vocal about it.

And how much of that might be user-related? Or related to bloatware put on by the carrier or manufacturer? Has he considered rooting it? My wife experienced that with her phone - when the Gingerbread update came out, it literally killed her phone and it required a factory reset. Afterwards it just wasn't stable and required a reboot frequently. She got tired of it and rooted her Samsung Epic 4G (which was Sprint's Galaxy phone) and installed CyanogenMod on it. She's had no trouble since.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 32):

Me too! - but that could be just beacuse there are more iphones around!

Actually, there are more Android phones than iPhones.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

mt99

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 34):

Actually, there are more Android phones than iPhones.

Well he was comparing it to S3's - specifically. And there are more iphones that S3s..

Has he considered rooting it?
She got tired of it and rooted her Samsung Epic 4G (which was Sprint's Galaxy phone) and installed CyanogenMod on it.

If you need to "fix" it yourself after purchase, what the point?

Its like buying a new car that doesn't start all the time - "but if you change the starter motor yourself, you should be good to go".. Really?

zckls04

Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:19 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 33):
This is not true.

$550 of my dollars says it is true. Although 150 of that was to replace bent pins on two successive dock connectors.

So let's just say it's sometimes true. The question is, would a clumsy idiot like me be better off with a Galaxy? I do like the "solid" feel of an iPhone (hence the reason I'm not a big fan of cases/sleeves etc), but maybe compromising on that a bit would mean less repair costs.

I think somebody needs to do the world's most expensive lab test.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Ken777

Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 29):
It's like the 777X - nobody cares...

Some airlines are caring.

Apple is doing the same thing - and while those apple fan boys will be brainwashed into thinking this iPhone 5 is the best thing in the world - It's not really anything new.

There is a lot that is new with the iPhone 5 - it's just not always in your face like some customers want. The bit of technology that Apple has developed for the iPhone is pretty impressive, but most customers won't notice it.

So much hatred for Apple, the phone provider with the lowest OS market share.

Could it be because Apple has the highest profit share of any maker?

TLG

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:05 pm

For anyone to expect to be "blown away" by a line of product that is in its 5th generation is unrealistic.

Exactly, but yet fans are "blown away" every time the Apple CEO takes the stage. Apple has the marketing & hype down pat for sure. How else can so many people go crazy over the announcement of a phone with a 4" LCD, 1136 x 640-pixel resolution, 8MP camera, turn-by-turn navigation, and LTE connectivity?

-TLG

Okie

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 4):
There was a time when mobile phones kept getting smaller. Now they seem to be getting bigger . . . .

Just think of a radio or music device, started with a tube/valve type radio the size of small refrigerator then shrunk to device with the advent of transistors to a small size then back to big with boom boxes now back to smaller yet.

So somehow in my perverted mind I see people walking down the street with a boom box size device on their shoulder talking on the phone or texting before they shrink back to a pocket size device.

Okie

Klaus

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:56 pm

PS: Klaus! Personal question...if you have all this cloud stuff with Apple do you still need 64GB or can you just save everything up there and take the 16?

I personally don't use iTunes Match, so my circa 40GB of music files reside entirely on my 64GB iPhone and on my 64GB iPad locally, not least because I don't need a "big" data plan otherwise (I've got 200MB/month which is sufficient for my needs beyond WiFi).

I've basically chosen a higher up-front payment with zero running costs after that, but you can also choose lower up-front cost but additional running costs. (Besides I like having lots of space for apps and other data as well.)

If you'd have sufficient online access when you want to listen to your music, if your collection would fit into the limit set by iTunes Match and if you don't need more local space for other uses, it should be possible and practical to swap out much of your music to the iCloud, but it will cost you $24.99 every year. (You can of course keep all your music even if you choose to cancel the service eventually; Just the online iCloud playback option will stop working at that point.)

iTunes Match will still cache your music locally if you want it to, so it doesn't actually need to stream your tracks all the time. You can also pull down an album to local storage before leaving WiFi range if you know in advance you'll want to listen to it on the go, together with your more favoured tracks among your collection, so even then you don't necessarily cause a lot of mobile traffic all the time.

It should work as far as I'm aware; It's just a matter of how well it matches your particular preferences.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

Quoting mt99 (Reply 30):
Software, apps. iOS ,and the ecosystem is the key - the physical containers of it (ie iphone, and eventually ipad) will become less and less relevant. - and that is where Apple's growth will come from.

Not as far as Apple is concerned up to this point: They are making practically all their profits only from their hardware products; Software and services are only for sales support and are effectively run at cost. And it doesn't look as if that strategy was to their disadvantage, really...

It may look cheap but the fact of the matter is - you drop an iPhone and you end up paying 200 dollars to have it repaired. You drop an S3 - and nothing happens other than some cosmetic scratches.

Not true either way. You can have good or bad luck with both.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 36):
So let's just say it's sometimes true. The question is, would a clumsy idiot like me be better off with a Galaxy? I do like the "solid" feel of an iPhone (hence the reason I'm not a big fan of cases/sleeves etc), but maybe compromising on that a bit would mean less repair costs.

If you're really prone to accidentally damaging your devices, either a cover/bumper for the iPhone or a ruggedized competing model may indeed be your best shot, according to your other priorities.

I've dropped some of my iOS devices over the years, sometimes on hard surfaces, and none of them has ever suffered noticeable damage.

Life is never without risk. Do I wear a helmet just for crossing the street? No, I don't do that either. I'm reasonably careful and the rest is up to chance. I've been doing pretty well with that approach so far.

Quoting TLG (Reply 38):
Exactly, but yet fans are "blown away" every time the Apple CEO takes the stage.

The funny thing is that I constantly read about those mythical fans as if they somehow made up all of Apple's customers, but I actually meet ones very, very rarely in real life, as with most other products or manufacturers (Apple Store openings or initial sales of major new products certainly attract the small fraction of really amped-up fans, but that behaviour is still not the rule but the exception).

The actual Apple customers around here are also much more oriented to actual practical matters and their own concrete preferences and relative judgments of various products than to that constantly presumed, but actually rarely observed excitement you are talking about. The actual emotional excitement is much, much higher on the anti-Apple side of such discussions if you really check discussion threads for it.

I myself consider the iPhone 5 a nice upgrade along Apple's greater product strategy, but as with every other product I see some aspects as a fellow developer observing colleagues making their decisions and compromises on the one hand and on the other my own considerations as a user regarding added value relative to my existing phone, upgrade price and only after that some subjective factors may come in as well ("the new shiny").

Pretty much boring stuff for the most part, just as with most other people, only with my own personal priorities and preferences in my case.

Quoting TLG (Reply 38):
Apple has the marketing & hype down pat for sure. How else can so many people go crazy over the announcement of a phone with a 4" LCD, 1136 x 640-pixel resolution, 8MP camera, turn-by-turn navigation, and LTE connectivity?

Very few people "go crazy" about these devices. Over 400 million iOS devices aren't sold via people "going crazy". Such numbers are sold by actually making an attractive value proposition to users even at Apple's solid prices, particularly keeping them satisfied enough to purchase other products from the same manufacturer again after being satisfied with their previous experience, and talking about it to others.

Again relatively boring stuff, but that is where the music's actually playing.

You cannot just hype your way to sales like these – you actually have to deliver real, practical value to your customers. And that is extremely difficult if you're aiming for user satisfaction rates on the level which Apple actually manages to achieve.

If I'm amazed about anything, it is primarily with the consistent substance of that actual value proposition, not with the ephemeral style of their product presentations (as entertaining as these can be on their own).

PPVRA

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 pm

It seems thought that Apple has turned into the Porsche of the tech world.

Take a Porsche 911:

Stretch it horizontally - Caymen
Strech it vertically - Cayenne
Stretch it horizontally and take the roof off - Boxster
Take out some heavy stuff and put in a more powerful engine - Turbo.

It's not Apple who has one model that is tall, one short, one wide, one cheap, one expensive, one for gaming, one for facebook, etc. . .
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

zckls04

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 38):
If you're really prone to accidentally damaging your devices, either a cover/bumper for the iPhone or a ruggedized competing model may indeed be your best shot, according to your other priorities.

The bit that breaks most easily though is the screen, and that's the one thing I really don't want covered up, because it never gives as much tactile pleasure running your fingers across a piece of plastic than across the glass.

I'm kind of skeptical the Galaxy would be any different on that front though, which is why I want a real world test.
Four Granavox Turbines!

DocLightning

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 40):

The bit that breaks most easily though is the screen, and that's the one thing I really don't want covered up, because it never gives as much tactile pleasure running your fingers across a piece of plastic than across the glass.

Really? I apply an anti-glare coating to mine. It does decrease the resolution very slightly, but not enough that I really notice or care.

At any rate, I keep my phone in a smooth-sided case (so it doesn't stick to the inside of my pocket) with an anti-glare cover. I have broken one phone (broke the ear speaker) while it was in the case.

If you break your phone they will sell you a new (reconditioned) one for $160 (and returning your old phone so that they can repair it).
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Klaus

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:15 pm

The bumpers are kind of neat in that respect as they wrap around the edge, protruding slightly beyond the front and back surfaces so that the glass will never touch the ground (unless there are exposed pebbles or other peaks), but the glass remains open to the touch.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...68ZM/B/apple-iphone-4-bumper-white

D L X

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:28 pm

because it never gives as much tactile pleasure running your fingers across

::cough::

And suddenly, this thread is rated R.

Asturias
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 20):
Delighted you are enjoying yours.

I don't have a Galaxy SIII, wouldn't mind one, but don't have one.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 20):
But surprised at your ability to make an evaluation of the differences of the two when the iPhone has yet to hit the market.

The tech specs are already out and I've tried the SIII hands on, it is smoother than any Apple product I've seen. It's also a quad core, which adds a lot to perceived smoothness of usage.

Where we need some attention now is in the desktop lines. That is the only area of frustration for me.

Couldn't agree more! .. though I don't expect any this year.

Quoting HOMsAR (Reply 21):
Other than, perhaps, really high-powered computer applications (and you may very well need them, I don't know), is there really a reason to have a desktop computer anymore?

I think there's even more reason for a desktop computer than ever, now with these ultra-light relatively powerful handheld devices.

Laptops, on the other hand... I see less and less reason for their continued existence.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 25):
Maybe this is a technology problem, rather than an Apple problem? I don't see Android OEMs churning out anything really mindblowing, either.

Partially, sure, but the iPhone 5 is technology-wise behind the Samsung Galaxy SIII in almost all respects. There isn't a mind-blowing difference, but there is a definite difference.

I'm also refering to the Macintosh line, which has seen little or lackluster updates in the last year(s). That's not (despite what Apple apologists insist) because of the lack of hardware available, but a combination of tertiary factors, such as the insane insistence of Ive to make the iMac thinner and thinner (it's a desktop for goodness sake) and the lack of interest Apple has towards their computer line.

Their OS vision is to make OS X become some sort of iOS/desktop hybrid, focusing on selling people stuff through a propriatory app store and iTunes.

The only place where I'm actually pretty content with Apple is with the iPod line, after the most recent refresh, it looks excellent - Apple is still on the top of their game with the iPod.
Tonight we fly

D L X

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 44):
The tech specs are already out and I've tried the SIII hands on

Well, if you're only looking at specs, you know what else has all the specs of an SIII?

Clearly, it matters how the specs are put together. It matters quite a bit.

Some people don't mind just loading up the specs, and putting it in whatever casing that fits. Those people bought Dells (and Yugos) and made someone a lot of money.

But others like how it all fits together. We see great value in not just maxing out the specs, but actually producing a product that looks and feels right. It's the difference between buying a cheap car and a luxury car, really. Not at all a slight against people who prefer to spend their money differently, but more a question as to why the people who prefer cheap have such a bone to pick with people who prefer style and function.

Quoting Asturias (Reply 44):
I think there's even more reason for a desktop computer than ever, now with these ultra-light relatively powerful handheld devices.

Laptops, on the other hand... I see less and less reason for their continued existence.

With this, I actually agree.

My 4 year old MacBook Pro is in need of replacement. I considered getting a new MacBook Pro, but then it occurred to me that since I have my iPad, I can get a more powerful desktop Mac to use at home (or pack in carryon luggage if I *really* needed it, since it's small anyway) for less money than a laptop, and use the iPad (or similar tablet) when I'm on the go.

[Edited 2012-09-13 16:03:32]

BlueElephant

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 31):

I also cannot agree with this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4
Jimmy Kimmel proves that I'm right.

Asturias
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 45):
Clearly, it matters how the specs are put together. It matters quite a bit.

Of course, it is crucial. Fortunately the SIII is an amazing piece of engineering, so there's no need to worry there.

I'm sure one can fault Samsung for many things, but their engineers and fabrication process is second to none.

Quoting D L X (Reply 45):
With this, I actually agree.

Tonight we fly

EA CO AS

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:56 pm

Klaus, do you know if iOS6 is going to bring Siri to the iPhone 4 and/or iPad 2? I can't seem to find that info.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

TLG

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:24 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 38):
Very few people "go crazy" about these devices.

Are you talking about the "very few people" that will be camping in front of Apple stores next Thursday night?

Klaus

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:01 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 48):
Klaus, do you know if iOS6 is going to bring Siri to the iPhone 4 and/or iPad 2? I can't seem to find that info.

Unfortunately not:
http://www.apple.com/ios/siri/siri-faq/

Quote:
Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

Quoting TLG (Reply 49):
Are you talking about the "very few people" that will be camping in front of Apple stores next Thursday night?

Compared to the 400 million iOS devices already in use and the over 430 million active iTunes accounts, the number of people who enjoy that kind of event is actually miniscule.

Only because of the massive total numbers the tiny fraction of highly excited fans is actually noticeable at all. But almost all users are actually not camping at the stores.

TheRedBaron

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:38 am

I find it amusing that everyone that hates apple or says the Iphone 4 or 5 for that Matter will never be on par or sell as much as Android/Samsung phones is missing the most important data. PROFITS.

Apple has more than 85% of the revenue on the Smartphone markets in fact it trumps Samsung....

Quote:
Despite the fact that Samsung surpassed Apple in terms of global smartphone market share, Apple’s iPhone generates more revenue than Samsung’s entire mobile division, according to data from Juniper Research. “Apple’s revenues from its ‘mobile division’ continues to remain significantly higher than Samsung’s, even when you take into account the latter’s feature phones,” Juniper research analyst Daniel Ashdown said. Apple’s iPhone revenue was $22.7 billion in the first quarter of 2012, $29.3 billion if you were to include the iPad, compared with Samsung’s $17 billion from its entire mobile division.

source: http://www.bgr.com/2012/05/01/samsung-apple-smartphone-revenue/

So it doesn't matter if Samsung sells a gazillion Phones, the bottom line is how much you make as a company and in that regard Apple is clearly the winner, if you add brand loyalty and repeat buying customers... well you get the idea, we will have this kind of threads FOR A LONG TIME here on Anet....

Spin it as much as you like, haters gonna hate !!! Apple has a great product, and will sell a lot of them and more important will make truckloads of money from it.
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Asturias
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:37 am

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 47):
Spin it as much as you like, haters gonna hate !!! Apple has a great product, and will sell a lot of them and more important will make truckloads of money from it.

This isn't about hating Apple. Who really hates Apple anyway? Some are unimpressed, some are mildly annoyed by their image - and some certainly despise their fanatics.

I do not hate Apple, I'm rather fond of Apple. I'm writing this on one a 2008 iMac.

I've just never seen Apple in this situation before; successful but uninteresting. It used to be the other way around.

There are many Apple fans still fighting the good fight of the 90s. Apple isn't going out of business and there's no danger of it falling out of people's minds any time in the next 10 years.

The iPhone 5 is a fine product, it is not great. It certainly isn't insanely great. Perhaps Apple should focus on making something else great, now that the iPhone has hit a plateu?
Tonight we fly

wingman

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:15 pm

So what you're saying is you want or need Apple to revolutionize entire 80 year old industries every two years? That's a tall order chief. They do this more than just about anyone else these days but I'd suggest you apply your standards to any other company in this business and then come take a fresh look at this unimaginative, uninteresting, and boring company. By comparison you might find them to be innovative, exciting, and groundbreaking all over again.

PS: Kaus..thanks for the answer.