YokoTsuno
Topic Author

Cluj Romania Visit Advice Requested

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 am

I have to kill one day in Cluj Romania. Any advice?

Thanks

Vio

RE: Cluj Romania Visit Advice Requested

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:56 am

Cluj has many things to do, but it depends what time of the week you go to and of course, what you like to do. If going out is your thing, you'll have lots of choices, especially when university starts (I believe Oct 1).

If you're a fan of beer and good food, go to Ursus Brewery pub in Cluj. Very cool place. The city center (downtown) offers lots of choices of entertainment, eating out, etc. Of course, there are museums that you'll enjoy.

The link below can give you some extra info. You may use google translate for the site... it's still in BETA testing

http://orasulcluj.ro/
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

dc9northwest

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Cluj is one of the nicer cities in Romania.

My advice is don't spend too much time around the train station.

Hungarian/Transylvanian (Paprikash, Goulash) food tends to be quite good. Go for a Hungarian meal at lunch and Romanian for dinner.

Buses are of course cheap and the taxi drivers seemed pretty honest when I was there... But be careful around the airport and train station, that's where the "naughty" ones hang out. I'd still recommend buses/public transit to get around.

There's a nice Botanical Garden up the hill. Well, one of the hills.

Wikitravel has enough info on Cluj to last you a day. But if you have any questions, please let me know.

Hope this helps.

YokoTsuno
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:27 am

Thanks for the replies.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 2):
But if you have any questions, please let me know.

I have one. Can I get around with Euros there or must I change to RON?

dc9northwest

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 3):
I have one. Can I get around with Euros there or must I change to RON?

I'm guessing you can get around with Euros in *some* places but it'd be safer to change to RON... because you might get ripped off if you try to pay in Euros, and you can't really tell who accepts Euros and who won't. There'd definitely be a mark-up!

There are ATMs and banks on every street in the center though... Just use ATMs in a bank and it's safe. I'd like to say there's one in the airport, but I can't vouch for this information since I haven't been to the airport.

vandenheuvel

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I can't tell you much about Cluj. However I can confirm there was an ATM in the terminal when I visited about two years ago.