grozzy
Topic Author

IOS 6: First Impressions?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:56 am

I've just downloaded the new iOS for my iPod touch, and am wondering what everyone's impressions are.
There's a few local errors I've found with the maps. I am routed along unformed streets. I can also see no use so far for the other main addition, passbook. Everything else seems normal so far.

AirPacific747

RE: IOS 6: First Impressions?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:44 am

The maps are definitely a step back. It seems slow and heavy and I miss street view. I welcome more competition regarding maps services though.
The biggest news is an alarm clock which may say something about Apple.. they are not innovating more.

ajd1992

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 am

It's OK, nothing special. I don't like the maps - I will be downloading Google Maps when it's back on the App Store.

I HATE the blue on the menus though. Yuck.

chrisair

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 am

Are the issues with the maps in 3D/Satellite view, or are there issues with just the regular (drawn) map view?

I can honestly say I've never used street view on my iphone or ipad and I doubt I'll start using 3D, except on the rare occasion I want to look at a city in 3D.

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 2):
I HATE the blue on the menus though.

Blue menus?

ajd1992

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 3):
Blue menus?

Go onto Settings and the menu has a blue tinge to it. Horrible. Reminds me of a National Health Service hospital.

CXfirst

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 am

A couple things. (I have it on 3rd gen. iPad).

Maps is a step down, especially here in Australia, that has no fly over cities, nor turn by turn navigation (but coming). However, I do realize this is version 1, and it will improve quickly, if anything competition for google maps is good.

A couple good small, but needed adjustments, for example, updating and downloading apps does not take you straight to springboard, but rather keeps you on app store. This has irritated me for a long time, and was needed.

Now, the thing that irritates me the most. No passbook for iPad.

I know passbook is better for iPhone, but there are advantages for having it on the iPad, advantages that must be greater than the cost of software developing it for the larger screen.

Even for people with iPhones, adding it to iPad has advantages. For instance, when buying tickets at home, many (including my parents who have iPhones and iPads) would rather use their iPad, and check everything is ok. And also at airport, although the iphone would be better for checking in and going through security, many would use their iPad for boarding, as it is already out in the waiting lounges. Furthermore, while I would be sitting and waiting for my flight (while browsing iPad), it would be good to get the live details (delays, gate changes, etc.) that passbook offer right to the iPad.

Overall, not impressed, some good small changes, but one big negative for me (not a step back, but Apple keeping iPads behind for no real reason). Hopefully Apple realize their mistake, possibly through many requests, and add it in an update or add it to the app store for iPad users to download.

-CXfirst

majestic477

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Am yet see any map application would be as detailed as google maps at least here in Ghana. Given that the standard of how good a map is must not be the maps of developed nations since most of the work has been done. So far google maps is the only detailed maps. Think of finding yourself in a third world country where the maps will be most needed.

Molykote

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:54 pm

The clock is nice. I had previously downloaded a world clock for my "we won't call it n iPad 3" to use at work. The included clock now incorporates all the features I need and has a nice day-specific multi alarm capability.

I don't care for the Apple maps, though it does look a little "cuter" from high altitude perspectives (I expected they'd roll out a product that was at least in the ballpark of Google quality given the amount of media discussion on this move). I'm also not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I'd swear that google earth now runs slower (64GB iPad 3 AT&T), which was noticed even when using wifi.

I've never used Siri, though my friends with iPhones seem to like it. I'll probably get a 5th generation iPhone soon simply because my Samsung Galaxy is starting to get slow and buggy (and might as well benefit from a consistent iCloud repository).

On the whole, my first impressions are that the new OS is far below the hype. I feel like this is what I'd expect from a large Windows service pack more than a whole new OS designation.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

D L X

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 pm

It's a fine upgrade, but not earth shattering.

The Maps are a HUGE step forward, finally having turn by turn navigation.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 1):
The maps are definitely a step back.

Do you own an iphone?

OA260

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
It's a fine upgrade, but not earth shattering.

Agree there . Some things I like and some not bothered about but in general quite happy with it . I see LH and UA were first to embrace PB. Got my Apps updated .

An error here in Ireland detected :

Apple gives Dublin a new 'airfield'

Surely not? Minister for Justice Alan Shatter claimed today that pilots could be misled into trying to make an emergency landing on a farm in Dublin because of an error on a new Apple online map tool.

In a statement - which may or may not have been slightly tongue-in-cheek - the Minister said he has notified the tech giant of a mistake in his south Dublin constituency and asked for it to be urgently corrected.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0920/breaking20.html

AirPacific747

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
Do you own an iphone?

No. I own an iPad 3. Great device, although slightly boring OS not optimized for the larger screen size. Why?

mirrodie

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Havent used the phone much in since my update last night.

The map update with verbal turn by turn was useful in our driving home last night. Real time traffic is cool.

Havent perused the other aspects yet. But Siris enhanced capabilites will make my life easier.

Only GLARING con to mee seems to be that the battery life is a LOT worse.

using an iPhone 4s with a full charge at 8AM, it was down to 88% by 9 AM without any apps running.

Ive since changed new settings which I hope will help
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

BlueElephant

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
The Maps are a HUGE step forward, finally having turn by turn navigation.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19659736

It doesn't take an iPhone owner to know that the maps are a step in the wrong direction for Apple - In fact this guy compares both..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19664578

casinterest

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 12):
It doesn't take an iPhone owner to know that the maps are a step in the wrong direction for Apple - In fact this guy compares both..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology...64578

i think this outlook is oversimplified. For now, the Apple maps are lacking quite a few features of Google's map program.

However there is a very real business reason why the maps were taken over by Apple. and given time and money they will be as good as if not better than Google's. Apple wants the ad revenue from the maps, and who can blame them?

It will just take time use and complaints ot get them up to par.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

DocLightning

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Passbook.

Is it supposed to actually do something?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

racko

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:24 pm

BlueElephant

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:05 pm

CAUSE:

Quoting racko (Reply 15):
http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

EFFECT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIakZtDmMgo

casinterest

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 14):

Eventually eliminate your need for a wallet.
But right now, I find it lacking as well.

Tugger

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 17):
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 14):

That will require NFC, which I am positive will appear in the next iteration or next year.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

DocLightning

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 17):

No. It literally does NOTHING except provide me a link to the App Store.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

zrs70

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 pm

I loveD the Apple map program for about 20 minutes. It was great for looking at airports.

But the search is not nearly as comprehensive as the google version. So often I get zero results where google would have tons.

Further, I find it to be fairly sluggish (both in wifi as well as cell).
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

casinterest

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:04 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):

I think the point is, you have to get one of those apps and purchase a coupon, gift card, ticket using those apps and they put the pass in your passbook

Then , you show it to any bar scanner and whallla.

Klaus

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:14 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 12):
It doesn't take an iPhone owner to know that the maps are a step in the wrong direction for Apple

To me the new version still looks a bit "nicer" visually, even if the usability is not up there yet (mostly due to the data and the labeling not being as refined). Mistakes and omissions are noticeable. The satellite images are not as detailed yet as Google's, at least in my region.

There is quite a bit more and more detailed traffic information, which is now also needed a lot more urgently.

There seems to be more user-oriented meta information and less business advertising, but we'll have to see how that will develop further on.

The crux at the moment is that they've stepped from a not overly polished, somewhat stagnating, but fundamentally quite mature version 7 or 8 provided by an increasingly aggressive competitor to a visibly still immature version 1 cooked up in house which is noticeably intended to become more polished and more in line with their own priorities over time, but clearly isn't there yet.

Users don't care for such aspects and it's not their job to care, so Apple will be hammered hard for all perceived (and probably mostly real) shortcomings of their new map infrastructure (which has already begun through the beta phase). They're headed for a medium to severe thunderstorm about that, but it is pretty likely that they're already in heavy weather gear, being aware what will hit them.

Turn-by-turn navigation is likely the sugar sprinkled over it to make the preliminary drawbacks more palatable at this point.

That's the problem when you're switching horses this far into the game: Almost impossible to avoid any fallout, but other than staying beholden to Google forever, what option was there, really? Apple is probably the only commercial player even capable of breaking away from them at full scale and building an entirely new infrastructure from scratch.

That they now have a fully vector-based infrastructure which they can tailor to their own APIs as needed, that all the usage data and other input needed for further refinement will now no longer run to Google but to their own servers, that they can develop their map infrastructure in directions Google has no interest in and of course that they can now develop unique services and infrastructures to gain a competitive edge – all that is extremely important for Apple and at least potentially advantageous for their users, but it won't help any user right now at this point.

I expect that it will be mostly okay until next year via progressive updates particularly to the server data, but also through some iOS bugfix updates; iOS 7 will probably introduce the first unique API extensions.

We'll have to see how this will shake out eventually, but this is clear: Google's maps will lose a lot of relevance and user input (even though they will still exist in separate Google apps in the App Store, but most people likely won't bother to install them and they will not be used by any non-Google apps any more) and Apple's maps will certainly improve a lot over time since they are a key infrastructure for Apple as well and will see sustained investment.

Tectonic shifts like this one are rare in the industry; This will remain interesting to watch.

Otherwise tons of improvements in many areas: A big bag of security fixes (the most important part). The new detailed privacy controls are finally here. I like having Siri on the iPad as well, and Siri's capabilities have finally been expanded here in Germany. The App Store app is much improved (downloads stay in the app, no password needed for updates any more). Many individual refinements all around. Nice.

As with most Apple OS upgrades, it's like an iceberg: Most improvements are not even visible on the surface right away, but will incrementally come to light through apps using the upgraded infrastructure. The just-arrived new map infrastructure is just the most noticeable example here.

max999

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:19 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 5):

Maps is a step down, especially here in Australia, that has no fly over cities, nor turn by turn navigation (but coming). However, I do realize this is version 1, and it will improve quickly, if anything competition for google maps is good.

I think people forget how difficult map making can be. I don't think the inaccuracies will be resolved anytime soon...it takes a lot of manual grunt work to collect all the data to make detailed, comprehensive online maps.

I believe Apple wants to resolve this ASAP so they probably will spend lots of $$$ to buy up as much mapping data as possible then integrate it all into their database. While this won't happen overnight, it's still faster than Apple collecting the data by itself.

Competition is a good thing...some of the tech blogs I read today claimed that Google already built a standalone iOS 6 map app which is waiting for Apple's approval.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 13):

However there is a very real business reason why the maps were taken over by Apple. and given time and money they will be as good as if not better than Google's. Apple wants the ad revenue from the maps, and who can blame them?

Time is the key factor...how long will it take to bring their maps back to a similar level of accuracy/usability as iOS 5? Apple has a lot of goodwill so I think the iOS user base will be patient.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:23 am

Anyone installed in on the iPhone 4 yet? I am considering doing it, but don't want it to turn into a slow POS after the upgrade because the old processor can't handle it...  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Silver1SWA
Crew

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:47 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 24):
Anyone installed in on the iPhone 4 yet? I am considering doing it, but don't want it to turn into a slow POS after the upgrade because the old processor can't handle it...

I had the same concern but upgraded anyway. No issue whatsoever. Runs the same as iOS5.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

captaink

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:56 am

I have it on my iPad (3) and my wife´s iPad 2, works perfectly. I even installed it on an old 3GS and it seem to have given it some wings. It is faster than it was on 5.1 So to KaiGywer, go for it. It is well worth it, features like Do Not Disturb, and send a message instead of answering a call etc, are pretty useful. All in in all it is a good update and works find on all devices it was meant for, and it actually makes them seem faster.

Now about maps. Not a good program, because it is not very complete. But is better in my opinion to what Google offered IOS. I wish we can get Google Maps the way it is on Android. That or Apple needs to work quickly to get this sorted out.
There is something special about planes....

Cadet985

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:23 am

Quoting grozzy (Thread starter):

I've just downloaded the new iOS for my iPod touch, and am wondering what everyone's impressions are.
There's a few local errors I've found with the maps. I am routed along unformed streets. I can also see no use so far for the other main addition, passbook. Everything else seems normal so far.

I was hoping to be able to use Siri...which Apple had said would be available for my iPod Touch after downloading iOs 6...yet it's not there.

Marc

Pyrex

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:29 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):

Surely not? Minister for Justice Alan Shatter claimed today that pilots could be misled into trying to make an emergency landing on a farm in Dublin because of an error on a new Apple online map tool.

Well, Apple does seem to think pilots rely on their phones instead of millions of dollars worth of weather and navigational equipment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00V7NW2_nSg

Quoting tugger (Reply 18):
That will require NFC, which I am positive will appear in the next iteration or next year.

And when it comes out with NFC, Apple will say that Samsung (which has had it on the Galaxy SIII for months already) somehow stole it from them.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Aesma

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:48 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 22):
Google's maps will lose a lot of relevance and user input

If you mean Apple users and relevance for them, sure. But they're not the majority, so Google maps will stay pretty relevant.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

D L X

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:00 am

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 20):
But the search is not nearly as comprehensive as the google version. So often I get zero results where google would have tons.

i must be the only one on the planet that thinks otherwise. I keep hearing from others that the app sucks, but when I look at my iPhone now, with the new Maps app, I think "wow! Finally, it gives me search results I like."

The Google Maps app was in my opinion, one of the weaker projects that google has produced. (The Gmail iOS map being the weakest.)

EA CO AS

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:18 am

Turn-by-turn navigation is likely the sugar sprinkled over it to make the preliminary drawbacks more palatable at this point.

Except it only works on the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

This is one of my major beefs with Apple; their desire for planned obsolescence of existing, perfectly-usable devices. My 32GB iPhone 4 has been wonderful, and I got the prompt to upgrade from iOS5 to iOS6. Turn-by-turn navigation! Panoramic photos! Map flyover!

Oh - whoops, did we forget to tell you these features won't work on your device, though?   

So while I like some aspects of iOS6, on my existing phone, iOS5 was more usable for my day-to-day needs. And if I want to use some of those neat features of iOS6, I have to drop bucks on an under-capacity 4S or the iPhone 5.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Klaus

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:37 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 27):
I was hoping to be able to use Siri...which Apple had said would be available for my iPod Touch after downloading iOs 6...yet it's not there.

It's off by default – you need to enable it in Settings > General > Siri.

Klaus

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 27):

It's off by default – you need to enable it in Settings > General > Siri.

Addendum: Siri is available for the 5th gen iPod Touch only – it requires at least an A5 CPU. So on an 4th gen iPod Touch with its A4 it won't be available.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 29):
Google's maps will lose a lot of relevance and user input

If you mean Apple users and relevance for them, sure. But they're not the majority, so Google maps will stay pretty relevant.

Actual device usage looks pretty different from raw numbers sold – many if not most Android devices aren't actually used as smartphones since they are being pushed by providers as "dumb phone" replacements and either get to people who don't have data plans, aren't interested in these kinds of use or are too limited to be of much use in the first place.

In that vein Google actually reaps most of their mobile ad income from iOS users, not from Android despite nominally larger phone sales. Losing map usage from iOS bites a sizeable chunk out of their actually active audience – and particularly weakens traffic feedback and updating requests and other user contributions.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 31):
Except it only works on the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

This is one of my major beefs with Apple; their desire for planned obsolescence of existing, perfectly-usable devices. My 32GB iPhone 4 has been wonderful, and I got the prompt to upgrade from iOS5 to iOS6. Turn-by-turn navigation! Panoramic photos! Map flyover!

"Planned obsolescence" is always the default suspicion, but in at least most cases it has more to do with whether the user experience would still be acceptable on the older devices.

RAM capacity, CPU and graphics performance and battery life are usually the main factors there (hacked installations often confirm that the limitations on older devices were in fact judiciously applied); Accounting can also be a factor, and such issues as ongoing service cost.

Providing retroactive upgrades can be pretty tricky.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 31):
So while I like some aspects of iOS6, on my existing phone, iOS5 was more usable for my day-to-day needs. And if I want to use some of those neat features of iOS6, I have to drop bucks on an under-capacity 4S or the iPhone 5.

How do you feel limited by iOS 6? Where does it offer less than iOS 5 did?

[Edited 2012-09-20 21:17:47]

cmf

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:25 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 33):
Actual device usage looks pretty different from raw numbers sold – many if not most Android devices aren't actually used as smartphones since they are being pushed by providers as "dumb phone" replacements and either get to people who don't have data plans, aren't interested in these kinds of use or are too limited to be of much use in the first place.

Do you have data to support this?
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

EA CO AS

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:30 am

ting EA CO AS (Reply 31):So while I like some aspects of iOS6, on my existing phone, iOS5 was more usable for my day-to-day needs. And if I want to use some of those neat features of iOS6, I have to drop bucks on an under-capacity 4S or the iPhone 5.
How do you feel limited by iOS 6? Where does it offer less than iOS 5 did?

Google maps were far more accurate and contained far more features than the native Apple ones in iOS6. I, like others, am also noticing a faster-than-usual battery drain on my iPhone 4 than with iOS5.

Which begs the question; is there a way to downgrade to iOS5?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DocLightning

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:59 am

"Planned obsolescence" is always the default suspicion, but in at least most cases it has more to do with whether the user experience would still be acceptable on the older devices.

RAM capacity, CPU and graphics performance and battery life are usually the main factors there (hacked installations often confirm that the limitations on older devices were in fact judiciously applied); Accounting can also be a factor, and such issues as ongoing service cost.

I have the TomTom GPS app for iPhone. I had the Garmin but didn't like the interface as much. The TomTom app does turn-by-turn directions quite nicely. I promise you that the iPhone 4 can run a GPS system with turn-by-turn directions no problem. There is absolutely no reasonable other explanation than Apple trying to prod iPhone 4 users to upgrade.

I swear, I think they intentionally bottleneck certain functions with software upgrades. When I upgraded two iOS's up on every iPhone I've had, the keyboard has started to take forever to show up. Why should that take so long? I think Apple tries to bottleneck slower phones to encourage upgrades.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

travelavnut

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:40 am

iOS 6: meh...

I had the 3, 3GS and now the 4, and that is my last iPhone.

The 5 and iOS 6 have greatily dissapointed me, Apple seems to have lost their innovating spirit.

My next phone will be a flagship Windows 8 device that will play nice with my new computer (now Win7, soon Win8), xbox360 and the Win8 Surface tablet I'll be getting for work.

I think 2013 will be the year where Apple will take a serious beating and Microsoft (I can't believe I'm gonna say this) will turn out to be the innovater....
Live From Amsterdam!

bill142

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:50 am

Tectonic shifts like this one are rare in the industry; This will remain interesting to watch.

Like a lot of tectonic shifts, this ended in catastrophe. Apple certainly could have done a better job of refining this before pushing it out.

Epic Fail.

Virginblue4

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Must say I love iOS 6! The new maps app is beautiful and looks a lot nicer than Google Maps. I love the brighter colous used. There are quite a few points of interest missing though. At least now you can report problems. I have been adding all local points of interest. The satellite imagery in my area is of much higher quality and more up to date than Google's ever was.

I absolutely love Flyover and find it much more useful than Street View. It's only available in around 30 major cities currently, but over time I am sure it will be expanded worldwide. It looks fantastic on my iPhone 4S and bet it looks great on the iPhone 5. It is also amazing on my iPad (3rd generation)!

I am very happy with the Siri update, particularly now that local seach is available outside of the US. I love asking about movies and restaurants. Sports is also great (although I am not very into sports). I love having Siri on my iPad now .

I also like Do Not Disturb and many of the minor changes.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with iOS 6! Maps will be updated over time and will be much more accurate and detailed in future.

Jordan 
The amazing tale of flight.

CXfirst

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 21):
Then , you show it to any bar scanner and whallla.

There is one problem I see with passbook and using images of bar codes. Firstly, glare is horrible for bar code scanning, and really QR codes are the only way to go (hence that is what airlines use for mobile). If you have used the app key ring before, then you should have noticed it. Only a handful of bar code scanners read bar codes well.

This means businesses will need to change loyalty cards to QR codes, rather than bar codes, and probably update their bar code reading systems. That is the problem, before passbook really catches on, some businesses will be reluctant to invest. So this could be a slow start (and maybe in some countries not even take off at all). I hope, passbook becomes popular, because the adoption of QR codes is good for all, including android users.

Users don't care for such aspects and it's not their job to care, so Apple will be hammered hard for all perceived (and probably mostly real) shortcomings of their new map infrastructure (which has already begun through the beta phase). They're headed for a medium to severe thunderstorm about that, but it is pretty likely that they're already in heavy weather gear, being aware what will hit them.

With google trying to push google maps back to iOS, Apple might face a dilemma. If they let google maps back, they risk losing users, largely due to the large amount of negative feedback. If that is the case, the only way to get users to go back to Apple's mapping app would be to offer something that not only matches google maps, but goes beyond it, which isn't an easy task.

The other option is to stop Google entering the iOS market, which Google can turn into a marketing campaign, even without directly contributing to the campaign (ie "Apple decides not to allow its customers to use superior mapping software").

Lastly, apple maps can become the best thing for iOS users in an indirect fashion. Google's maps on android have been better, with turn by turn navigation, etc. I believe this was to give Android customers a better experience than iOS. However, with Apple's mapping software with turn by turn navigation, I wouldn't be surprised if Google gives iOS customers their full software (assuming Apple lets them), so at the end of the day, iOS customers could have the full Google software that android users have enjoyed!

Quoting virginblue4 (Reply 39):

Must say I love iOS 6! The new maps app is beautiful and looks a lot nicer than Google Maps. I love the brighter colous used.

New maps may have more colour and to some look more beautiful, but I think it looks less map like. The thing I enjoy with google maps, is that it is so easy to understand, and looks like a clean and tidy ordinary map. In a rush, it loads quickly, is easy to read, and therefore better. If I want to see other details, perhaps more lifelike details (see parks in new maps, not just green, but made to look more like grash, bushlands), I would go to satellite imagery.

-CXfirst

D L X

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 40):
Firstly, glare is horrible for bar code scanning,

Really? I've used my phone on bar code readers fairly frequently with no problem.

This means businesses will need to change loyalty cards to QR codes

That's a good idea anyway.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 21):
whallla

Pro tip: I think you mean "voila."  
The other option is to stop Google entering the iOS market, which Google can turn into a marketing campaign, even without directly contributing to the campaign (ie "Apple decides not to allow its customers to use superior mapping software").

Actually, I think even worse than a Google backlash would be the DOJ antitrust suit that would be filed against Apple. Closing competitors out of your operating system will get you in legal trouble for sure.

Lastly, apple maps can become the best thing for iOS users in an indirect fashion. Google's maps on android have been better, with turn by turn navigation, etc. I believe this was to give Android customers a better experience than iOS. However, with Apple's mapping software with turn by turn navigation, I wouldn't be surprised if Google gives iOS customers their full software (assuming Apple lets them), so at the end of the day, iOS customers could have the full Google software that android users have enjoyed!

Yup! I agree completely. Even though Apple could not shut Google out of its iOS, it could also not force Google to provide iOS customers with the same thing they gave Android customers. Now Google may be forced to.

DocLightning

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 41):

A Google Maps app could be superior to the Apple Maps app, but Apple doesn't have to let them integrate it into the OS like the Apple app is.

So, great, you can find things, but if you start in your contacts and click on someone's address, the phone will still default to the Apple program and not to the Google program.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

D L X

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):
A Google Maps app could be superior to the Apple Maps app, but Apple doesn't have to let them integrate it into the OS like the Apple app is.

I'm not sure that's the case.

Part of the DOJ antitrust suit against Microsoft was the suspicion that MS held back some of its instruction set (for lack of a better term) and only told MS engineers about them. That way, MS applications would be superior to third-party applications when running on Windows. Yeah, the DOJ didn't like that.

Right now, I use the (crappy) GMail App for iPhone since, at least before iOS 6, the Apple GMail integration wasn't that great. The GMail app has access to the iPhone's contacts lists. I would be surprised if Apple rescinded this ability.

GuitrThree

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Well here is my thoughts on the maps.

I have the iPhone 4. My wife has the 4s. Her's works ok, voice commands, turn by turn, but the 4 is an absoulte joke. I tried it yesterday and it really is bad. I loaded a destination on the same road I was on and it simply displayed a green "sign" that said 13 miles on your left and that was it. No mileage countdown or anything. Not even a ding when I arrived. Simply put, pathetic.

Now, before you go spouting off that the 4 doesn't have the processing power, the Telnav App that you pay $10 a year for updated maps rivals the maps on the Andriod. And that simply shows Apple is just planning to push us to a new updated phone. Thanks, but no thanks. I really liked my first Apple Product but it might very well be my last. I don't like being forced into upgrades simply because Apple WON'T (not CAN'T) upgrade the product correctly.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

D L X

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 44):
I have the iPhone 4. My wife has the 4s. Her's works ok, voice commands, turn by turn, but the 4 is an absoulte joke. I tried it yesterday and it really is bad. I loaded a destination on the same road I was on and it simply displayed a green "sign" that said 13 miles on your left and that was it. No mileage countdown or anything. Not even a ding when I arrived. Simply put, pathetic.

I don't know if it's fair to arrive at "pathetic" by comparing your 1-2 year old iPhone 4 to what's running on newer, more powerful phones. In your opinion, how does the Apple Map App on your iPhone 4 compare to what you had before: the Google Map App on your iPhone 4?

grozzy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:56 pm

One of my issues with maps is that no one has physically checked the data in the field. At least with google their street view vehicles had checked the maps.
I don't fully know how apple and google have sourced the data, but google is superior. If apple had sourced from one of the local street directories with 60+ years of experience many of the local errors would be fixed. It takes many years to build a reliable mapping product and they have forced this on us before it was ready.

GuitrThree

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 45):
In your opinion, how does the Apple Map App on your iPhone 4 compare to what you had before: the Google Map App on your iPhone 4?

Comparing Apple Map to Google Map, I give a VERY slight edge to Google. VERY. I might even call it a draw. But comparing both to TELNAV which is a very cheap app they BOTH SUCK. TELNAV, again, is as good or better than the GOOGLE MAPS NAVIGATION on any Android Phone. So let's not give any excuse to Apple. Their Maps SUCK. I guess you missed my point. If TELNAV can have a state of the art mapping and navigation with VOICE NAVIGATION app on the, as you say, "1-2 year old iPhone4," why can't Apple simply include turn by turn on the upgrade? Please explain that. You speak as if the iPhone 4 uses windows 3.1 to run. No, other companies make it work. Apple forces you to upgrade. THATS THE DIFFERENCE.

Please explain to me how my pathetically old iPhone4 can't even count down the distance I am from one point to another. I'm guessing you have the 5 or 4s. Take a ride with someone who has the 4 and please try to explain how the phone is so old it can't even ding when I arrive at the destination. Really? How old is the phrase "You have reached your destination." Apparently you and Apple think that my not even 2 year old phone can't even do that.

[Edited 2012-09-21 16:06:01]
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

hoons90

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Upgraded my iPad 3 yesterday and checked out the new map.

I was shocked at how inaccurate and minimal the map was for the city of Seoul, Korea, which happens to be one of the world's largest cities and also a big market for Apple even despite the fact that Samsung is headquartered there.

I mean, they even left out the Han River, which is over a kilometer wide and which is perhaps the most important feature of the city's geography and defines the cityscape. It's akin to leaving out the Seine river on a map of Paris or the Thames in a map of London.

Incheon Airport is just a purple blob, and subway lines and stations that were built 18 years ago don't even show on the map.

Perhaps Apple wanted to portray Seoul in a hypothetical post-nuclear apocalyptic scenario. If not, hopefully this gets addressed soon otherwise the map will remain to be a useless waste of bandwidth. I would never be able to find my way around the city with that map.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

Klaus

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 pm

I found this entertaining and informative:
http://counternotions.com/2012/09/21/applemaps/

Warning! Contains irony, common sense and actual facts!   

One of the possibilities why the iPhone 4 and 3GS are excluded from turn-by-turn navigation is that TomTom who license their mapping data to Apple almost certainly have demanded (and might have achieved) to extract some payment from Apple for each individual device using this feature.

It would not be surprising if Apple might have coughed up money to cover all iPhone 4S but might not have been motivated enough to retroactively pay for covering the iPhone 4 and 3GS as well.

Things like these may even cause trouble on the financial level for a public company effectively throwing fresh money belonging to their shareholders after already completed sales without any provisions having been made for these beforehand.

Just one of various possibilities.

"Planned obsolescence" is a bit too flat to sound all that plausible in total context with all the other features which they actually deliver anyway, particularly since none of the older devices are becoming "obsolete" in any way by actually receiving a life-extending OS upgrade.

[Edited 2012-09-21 16:33:46]