Cheapie Laptop Advice

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Sad to say but my old Dell is starting to (literally) fall apart. I am looking for a replacement to be bought in the next 0-6 months.

Problem is I am not well versed on the current state of computer tech and I don't know what is good/bad/ugly. I don't have a ton of money to spend but have a few things in mind for a Windows laptop.

Price point should be around $500.
Laptop should have a dedicated GPU

Primary uses would be email, internet, streaming audio/video, and some light gaming (light to the point that having a dedicated GPU would make a world of difference).

Obvious questions include AMD vs Intel processors/chipsets. Seems that in my research there is just a lot more out there (like 2-1) with Intel processors. Are their makers to avoid, better choices out there. I understand at this price point EVERYTHING is a compromise, but I don't want crap and don't want crappy support.

And something I am seriously considering:
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

RE: Cheapie Laptop Advice

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:22 pm

Here you mate... check it out. This report may help you out.

You may want to check out Walmart's prices. They do have all of the above (or most of them) at great prices. I've purchased a HP G60, Win Vista in 2009 for $ 495,00, with a free upgrade to Win7.

Good luck.

[Edited 2012-09-24 12:25:13]
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.