Mir
Topic Author

The NFL Referee Lockout Must End!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:33 am

If you're a fan of the NFL, even a casual one, you've seen some pretty bizarre calls made by the replacement refs (hereinafter referred to as "fake refs"). We've seen completely bogus pass interference calls made. We've seen pass interference calls made when no contact was made. We've seen teams given extra timeouts. We've seen games stop for minutes so that the fake refs can figure out what is supposed to be going on. Yet despite all of that, you couldn't point to a game that the fake refs legitimately blew.

Well, now you can. The way tonight's Packers/Seahawks game ended is a disgrace to the league, and to the game in general. All you needed to see was two fake refs, standing not five feet from each other, making two different calls on the same play. How one of them could look at Tate and Jennings on the ground, see that Jennings had two hands on the ball and Tate had one, and then say that Tate had possession is beyond me. Especially when the guy standing right next to him was signaling an interception. Never mind that they never called Tate for interference basically pushing a guy out of the end zone.

This needs to end, and it needs to end now. You can't have fake refs blowing games in a league where one game determines who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. The NFL is making money hand over foot, they can afford to pay the proper officials what they deserve for being the best at what they do. You cannot have a game played by professionals officiated by amateurs.

Help us, Ed Hochuli. You're our only hope.   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

vikkyvik

RE: The NFL Referee Lockout Must End!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:44 am

Quoting Mir (Thread starter):
(hereinafter referred to as "fake refs")

I call them "refs" (with quotes).

I was rooting for the Seahawks, but that is no way to win. Certainly no way to lose for the Packers.

The Packers won the game 3 times:

1.) Terrible roughing the passer call resulting in a Seattle first down.
2.) Terrible defensive interference call resulting in a Seattle first down.
3.) Terrible doesn't even begin to describe the touchdown call. It was so bad, that the only word I can come up with is, quite simply, "wrong". And yeah, one of the most blatant offensive interferences ever. RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OFFICIAL.

There were a whole bunch of terrible calls in the Pats-Ravens game yesterday, too. And while the "refs" didn't decide that game (the bad calls seemed pretty evenly split), it contributes to the complete chaos of the game.

They may as well call every game a tie, and credit the wins to the "refs".
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

BMI727

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:53 am

It's an absolute joke, but Steve Young is right. We're all still watching.

Basically anything that the league says or does in regards to player safety from this time forward is a complete farce. Make this rule, fine that guy, but allow referees who are completely overmatched and do nothing to control the game.

But, based on what the Packers players are saying on Twitter, the NFL might make the money to pay the actual referees by the end of the week.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Mir
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:56 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 1):
I was rooting for the Seahawks

So was I, but even I can't defend that.

1.) Terrible roughing the passer call resulting in a Seattle first down.

Very questionable, but not egregious. We've seen those calls before from the proper refs.

2.) Terrible defensive interference call resulting in a Seattle first down.

Pretty egregious. Should have been offensive interference - the guy turned the defender's head around.

And then, of course, there's the final play disaster/debacle.

They may as well call every game a tie, and credit the wins to the "refs".

If I were Mike McCarthy, I would not have sent my players back out for the extra point. Let them kick it with no defense as a show of protest of how the game ended. Let them declare a forfeit if they want to.

But I guess he's a bigger man than I.

-Mir

BMI727

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:02 am

By the way, the Lingerie Football League has finally come out and said that some of the replacement NFL referees were fired by their league, as has been rumored for some time.

http://deadspin.com/5946112/the-ling...in-the-nfl-because-of-incompetence

QFA380

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:05 am

Its gotten pretty unbelievable the situation, sinking to using refs from the Lingerie Football League. I watched Pats Ravens, a few dodgy looking things but throwing and picking up flags seems ridiculous, then they need to confer and decide they messed up. I'm always impressed with the phenomenal calls that NFL refs usually get correct when commentators say no but the replay shows what happened.

This has to take the cake though.

Is anyone abreast of the issues of contention? From a quick wiki skim seems pension vs 401k, fulltime vs parttime positions, NFL wants more crews seems the crux of the issue with the NFL offering fairly generous pay increases.

illinoisman

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:06 am

Been a loyal Bears fan for years, but the Packers got screwed. This embarrassing display from the replacement refs is hurting the entire NFL and all of it's teams. I want to beat the Packers legitimately, not based off of completely garbage calls.

seb146

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 5):

I do not care for football at all.

I do, but...

well...

this is a family board.

Point is: that screen shot looks like the Packers were clearly in control of the ball. In respose to a meme on FB, I simply posted "Aw, c'mon, ref!! His foot was clearly over the blue line! Home run for the Lakers!!"
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

mke717spotter

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:19 am

"This is comical to me...Two of the worst calls I've ever seen at the end of the game" - ESPN Analyst John Gruden

It makes me even more upset that Pete Carroll, Golden Tate, and the The Seattle Times newspaper are completely oblivious to the fact of how badly the Packers got hosed by the refs. They actually think it was a legit win that they deserved?! I have never seen a quarter of football dominated by refs with so many blown calls. I guess Russell Wilson is the first QB in NFL history to throw a interception and win the game!
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Mir
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:29 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 5):

I'll say this much: at least one of them got it right. But whoever is wearing #26 needs to take a long, hard look at themselves and think about whether it might be better to consider a different line of work. One in which accurate vision isn't essential.

-Mir

BMI727

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:31 am

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 8):
"This is comical to me...Two of the worst calls I've ever seen at the end of the game" - ESPN Analyst John Gruden

And when Jon Gruden stops heaping praise on people, you know it's bad.

QFA380

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:38 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 7):
I do not care for football at all.
I do, but...
well...
this is a family board.

At least the NFL players having padding and faceguards, the poor blokes in rugby have to go home and explain the mrs what happened on the field.

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
But whoever is wearing #26 needs to take a long, hard look at themselves

Perhaps he's a Seahawk fan getting hi fived by his buddies, just has his Facebook on private unlike the guy who was disqualified from the Saints game after they saw his Facebook.

dlramp4life

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:47 am

That one call was a sad, sad night for football indeed.
SEA Ramp, wettest place on earth

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:20 am

It makes me even more upset that Pete Carroll, Golden Tate, and the The Seattle Times newspaper are completely oblivious to the fact of how badly the Packers got hosed by the refs. They actually think it was a legit win that they deserved?!

Dude, they're not oblivious. They know. But they're not dumb enough to come out and say, "yeah, we lost that game, but got really lucky because of terrible refs", and possibly give the NFL (more of) a reason to review that game end.

They'll just say "yay, we won" and move on to next week.

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
If I were Mike McCarthy, I would not have sent my players back out for the extra point. Let them kick it with no defense as a show of protest of how the game ended. Let them declare a forfeit if they want to.

I actually stopped watching a minute after the interception, so I didn't know they actually kicked the extra point until I saw the final score online. I figured they would refuse to come back on the field. And I would have supported that.

And I hate the Packers.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

smittyone

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:28 am

Help us, Ed Hochuli. You're our only hope.   

Ed is the man! I also like that one tough-looking black ref, though I don't know his name yet.

In a way I feel bad for the replacement refs...they probably figured they were doing a good deed by keeping football going this season but now they probably can't even show their faces in public.

Mir
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:09 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 13):
Dude, they're not oblivious. They know. But they're not dumb enough to come out and say, "yeah, we lost that game, but got really lucky because of terrible refs", and possibly give the NFL (more of) a reason to review that game end.

They'll just say "yay, we won" and move on to next week.

I don't know the circumstances in which he said it, but Pete Carroll did say that it's time for the regular refs to come back. So I'll give him credit for that much.

-Mir

StarAC17

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:47 am

This needs to end, and it needs to end now. You can't have fake refs blowing games in a league where one game determines who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. The NFL is making money hand over foot, they can afford to pay the proper officials what they deserve for being the best at what they do. You cannot have a game played by professionals officiated by amateurs.

If NFL fans for a few weeks don't watch or buy tickets then it will end in a heartbeat. Whether or not the league can afford to meet the proposal for the refs which they can is not relevant.

We need to boycott the NFL, however I want to watch games more to see how the mess up  .

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):
It's an absolute joke, but Steve Young is right. We're all still watching.

Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Revelation

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:54 am

Never mind that they never called Tate for interference basically pushing a guy out of the end zone.

And didn't have the testicular fortitude to reverse themselves after watching the replays. It doubles their shame.

There were a whole bunch of terrible calls in the Pats-Ravens game yesterday, too. And while the "refs" didn't decide that game (the bad calls seemed pretty evenly split), it contributes to the complete chaos of the game.

The game was memorable for the most full-throated chorus of "bullsh*t" ever heard on US television. Micheals and Collingsworth sat silently for most of it, to make sure the message got through.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):
Basically anything that the league says or does in regards to player safety from this time forward is a complete farce. Make this rule, fine that guy, but allow referees who are completely overmatched and do nothing to control the game.

Uhm, no, the NFL's greed in nickel and diming the refs, which is asinine, does not render farcical all the things it's done to promote player safety.

Thanks again for the trip to The Outer Limits.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

D L X

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:48 pm

It makes me even more upset that Pete Carroll, Golden Tate, and the The Seattle Times newspaper are completely oblivious to the fact of how badly the Packers got hosed by the refs. They actually think it was a legit win that they deserved?!

You have to understand though: people in Seattle believe they are owed bad calls to them based on what happened to them in Superbowl XL.

YES!! They are still complaining about that.

L-188

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:07 pm

Yes, and i am one of them. Seattle lost that superbowl because of the refs being in pittsburg pocket.

I was actually shocked that seattle just had a bad call go for them. Still
I would have prefered a cleaner win to show the dominance of the resurgent Seahawks.

But at the end pf the season a W is going to count as a W no matter who was refereeing the game
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Revelation

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 18):
You have to understand though: people in Seattle believe they are owed bad calls to them based on what happened to them in Superbowl XL.

YES!! They are still complaining about that.

The right thing to do, immediately, is to award Green Bay the game, because it's 100% clear how the game really ended.

Can you imagine the uproar in Seattle if that happened?

Apparently there is some sort of written statement to be issued by the NFL shortly.

L-188

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Thet arent going to change the outcome of the game. It would create a big problem with every other team that thinks they go hosed by the scabs tring to get their games changes Bill complaining about the Ravens win the night before being one that could get interesting.

The league will say the score stands snd hope it dies diwn by next weekend

smittyone

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 21):
Thet arent going to change the outcome of the game. It would create a big problem with every other team that thinks they go hosed by the scabs tring to get their games changes

I can only imagine the impact of a reversal on the betting world...

L-188

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Yup.

Still it is nice for Seattle to be on the right side of a questionable call for once. Apparently the scabs didnt get the memo about holding them back.

It is also fun watching all the Velveeta heads complaing and melting down. A Green Bay fondue.

D L X

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 19):
Seattle lost that superbowl because of the refs being in pittsburg pocket.

Case in point.

Seattle lost because they were outplayed. But let's get back to NFL 2012.

Actually, real question: will Madden 2012 have random referee calls go against what actually happened? That would be awesome.  

L-188

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Thats your opinion DLX, doest mesn the words , "Rothesberger Sacked" will ever stop being funny

Mir
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 18):

Which is ridiculous. Nothing in that Super Bowl compares to how egregiously bad this call was. You want to say that the pass interference call on that drive was payback, I might consider it - that play's done at speed, I can see how someone might blow a call in the heat of the moment. But you can't look at QFA380's picture and say that there is any justification for two officials looking at something for several seconds, arriving at two different conclusions, having the wrong one take precedence, and then refusing to overturn it when they see the replay.

-Mir

L-188

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 pm

I think the cheese heads need to consider that if Green Bay's offensive line had shown up for the game it might not have come down to the last call

WestJet747

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 27):
I think the cheese heads need to consider that if Green Bay's offensive line had shown up for the game it might not have come down to the last call

You could say the exact same thing about the Seattle-Pittsburgh game you were whining about. What happened before the horrible call(s) doesn't matter, what does matter is that these refs made an unfathomably bad call, even after review.

Not a Green Bay fan by the way, just making a very obvious observation.
Flying refined.

L-188

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:36 pm

You realize that if the call went the other way we would be talking about hiw poirly the packers play. Rodgers goibg to thr turf eight times in the first half.

WestJet747

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 29):
You realize that if the call went the other way we would be talking about hiw poirly the packers play. Rodgers goibg to thr turf eight times in the first half.

I do, which is something that was entirely within the control of the Packers. The reffing is completely out of the control of both teams, which is why it's being discussed so widely today.
Flying refined.

BMI727

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):
Uhm, no, the NFL's greed in nickel and diming the refs, which is asinine, does not render farcical all the things it's done to promote player safety.

Yes it does. The players are taking advantage of the substitute teachers to engage in illegal hits and extracurricular activities. You see dangerous hits that should be penalized, like the one that knocked Darius Heyward-Bey out cold, going unnoticed, yet it isn't enough to get the league to call off the lockout because it's dangerous for players.

Quoting D L X (Reply 24):
Actually, real question: will Madden 2012 have random referee calls go against what actually happened? That would be awesome.

I'd love that, but I think the NFL would flip their shit.

ER757

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Quoting IllinoisMan (Reply 6):
Been a loyal Bears fan for years, but the Packers got screwed. This embarrassing display from the replacement refs is hurting the entire NFL and all of it's teams.

Right with you here - I always hope for GB to go 0-16 every year, but this was just silly. The entire NFL week 3 was an officiating disaster, this was the cherry on top of the sundae. One thing I'd like to mention is that the Pack never would have had their only TD if not for a B.S. pass interference call that kept the drive alive. It pales in comparison to the end-of-game fiasco but the bad officiating cuts both ways.

bhill

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:10 pm

"The Seahawks were outplayed???!!!" Right....9 sacks!!! This would not be an issue if the score was was not 7-6 at the half or the game decided in THE LAST 8 SECONDS!!!..Oh yeah, the mighty great GB Packers out played us!!!

Read it and weep:

The NFL has released a statement regarding the final play from scrimmage in Monday's game.

The league stated that Golden Tate should have been penalized for pass interference, but said that the replay review of the game was both allowed under the rules and -- in the league's opinion -- correct in not overturning the play as it was called on the field.

Here's the statement from the league:

"In Monday's game between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, Seattle faced a 4th-and-10 from the Green Bay 24 with eight seconds remaining in the game.

"Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson threw a pass into the end zone. Several players, including Seattle wide receiver Golden Tate and Green Bay safety M.D. Jennings, jumped into the air in an attempt to catch the ball.

"While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

"When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

"Replay official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

"Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

"The result of the game is final."
Carpe Pices

Ken777

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:22 pm

This problem could be solved in a matter of hours IF the owners pushed for a settlement.

My bet is that they will not be willing to spend the money to get the pros on the field, regardless of how small a percentage ofhte annual budgets it is.

I certainly don't blame the refs that are on the field now. If those college refs refused to go on the field we would be down to high school refs.

Right now all we can hope for is an effort to do a decent job (which I think we have - the effort) and consistent calling of various infractions, like holding.

That;s as good as it is going to get until the owners get committed to delivering a solution. And all that takes is a conference call of the owners.

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Quoting bhill (Reply 33):
"The Seahawks were outplayed???!!!" Right....9 sacks!!! This would not be an issue if the score was was not 7-6 at the half or the game decided in THE LAST 8 SECONDS!!!..Oh yeah, the mighty great GB Packers out played us!!!

What's your point? The Seahawks didn't outplay the Packers either. Seahawks had a good 1st half, GB had a good 2nd half.

So basically, you're saying that you don't care how many terrible calls there are as long as the Seahawks win?

That's too bad.

AM744

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 24):

That would be hilarious. LOL.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:56 pm

As bad as the Packers played in the first half, Seattle still went to halftime with only 7 points. You can make many arguments about how either team shouldn't have come down to that last throw for the win. But that's silly. What happened, happened.

It's a catch 22 with these "fake refs". On one hand, they are the very reason we get to watch football right now. They are the reason our teams get to play. But on the other hand, the season is tainted with these bad calls.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

bhill

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 pm

GB had a good 2nd half? Really? It was SOOOOO good the game had to be decided in the last 8 seconds...Seems to me if the Packers are so great and mighty, they would have sewn this up MUCH sooner than the last 8 seconds. You folks should watch the other football more often, we live this shit almost every match......
Carpe Pices

WestJet747

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 pm

The league stated that Golden Tate should have been penalized for pass interference, but said that the replay review of the game was both allowed under the rules and -- in the league's opinion -- correct in not overturning the play as it was called on the field.

Yeah, cause it's not like the NFL is going to try to cover their asses or anything...  
"While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

"When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

I like how the NFL leaves out the part in between the shove and when the players hit the ground.

If you go and review the video, it shows Jennings with clear possession of ball (two hands firm on the ball) while Tate only has one hand touching the ball until they go to ground, at which point Tate then tries to rip the ball from Jennings. Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 5 of the NFL Rule Book actually discusses this situation:

"It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."

Oh yeah, the mighty great GB Packers out played us!!!

This line here (with my emphasis added) shows that's it's going to be impossible for you to be impartial in this discussion.

"The result of the game is final."

I really wasn't hoping they would overturn it. The game was final when the refs made that brutal call whether it was wrong or not. I was just hoping that the NFL would have the fortitude to admit they've screwed up pretty badly.
Flying refined.

srbmod

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Three weeks of regular season play and these replacement refs are still causing a lot of controversy. If not for their questionable/bad calls, it's for stuff like the one official who was removed from the officiating crew for the Saints game last week after having photos of himself in Saints stuff along with pro-Saints comments posted online. You have the ref this week whose threw their hat into the end zone during a play in the Dallas-Tampa Bay game and a Dallas player slipped on the hat. There's been reports of refs of telling players to play well because they had them on their fantasy team. I think the title of the following Forbes article sums it up best:

NFL Replacement Referees Have Compromised The Game's Integrity And League's Position On Sports Betting

You have to wonder if perhaps there may be something not above board that the NFL is doing in order to drive down legal betting on NFL games. The NFL is no fan of legal sports betting on their games and would like to have legal betting on NFL games banned completely. It may be because the NFL sees a lot of betting action in Las Vegas and the league gets nothing from it. The NFL (along with the NCAA, the NHL, the NBA and MLB) have filed a lawsuit against the Governor of New Jersey, the Assistant Attorney General of New Jersey as well as the Executive Director of the N.J. Racing Commission because the state's attempt to have legal sports betting. A New Jersey state legislator has fired a salvo by introducing a bill that would ban the replacement refs from working games in New Jersey.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt...l1e8kpanl-20120925,0,7222869.story

With the players and coaches being quite critical of the replacement refs, why don't the teams refuse to take the field citing personal safety concerns? If the teams don't play, that puts more heat on the NFL to bring the regular officials back.

There's a bunch of NHL refs not doing anything right now, perhaps they ought to be used...   

casinterest

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 40):
There's a bunch of NHL refs not doing anything right now, perhaps they ought to be used...

I like this solution.  
Would be fun to see. Checking, 2 minute penalties. Icing on deep passes. Could be fun.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

BMI727

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:53 pm

You have to wonder if perhaps there may be something not above board that the NFL is doing in order to drive down legal betting on NFL games. The NFL is no fan of legal sports betting on their games and would like to have legal betting on NFL games banned completely.

The NFL publicly condemns betting, but privately they love it. They know it drives a ton of interest and viewership for their leagues and tacitly enable and aid it. Why do you think the NFL has strict protocols for injury reports?

With the players and coaches being quite critical of the replacement refs, why don't the teams refuse to take the field citing personal safety concerns?

Then they would lose money as well. Furthermore, it's only fair considering that the referees went ahead and worked the replacements' games during the 1982 players strike.

ER757

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Quoting bhill (Reply 38):
GB had a good 2nd half? Really? It was SOOOOO good the game had to be decided in the last 8 seconds...Seems to me if the Packers are so great and mighty, they would have sewn this up MUCH sooner than the last 8 seconds.

Yep - if they'd have been able to get a first down on their final possession, they would have run out the clock. Did the get hosed on that last call? Sure they did, but they have no further to look for blame than their mirror. Get one lousy first down and that play never happens.

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Quoting bhill (Reply 38):
GB had a good 2nd half? Really? It was SOOOOO good the game had to be decided in the last 8 seconds...Seems to me if the Packers are so great and mighty, they would have sewn this up MUCH sooner than the last 8 seconds. You folks should watch the other football more often, we live this shit almost every match......

Ha, when did I say the Packers were great and mighty? Clearly you don't read, or you'd know I was rooting for the Seahawks. I hate the Packers.

Anyway, you answered my other question without intending to:

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 35):
So basically, you're saying that you don't care how many terrible calls there are as long as the Seahawks win?

So thanks.

(PS if the Seahawks are so great and mighty, one might think the game wouldn't be decided on the last play....after they couldn't maintain their level of play in the 2nd half. That's something to consider: Seattle got worse while GB got better)

L-188

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:06 pm

There is an article on Durge that estimates that $150 to 300m in bets where dependent on the outcome. One estimate had it as high as a billion.

You can get a lot of smoked wisconsin cheddar for that dough

srbmod

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 42):
Furthermore, it's only fair considering that the referees went ahead and worked the replacements' games during the 1982 players strike.

There weren't any NFL games during the 1982 strike. The replacement players were during the 1987 strike.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 42):
The NFL publicly condemns betting, but privately they love it. They know it drives a ton of interest and viewership for their leagues and tacitly enable and aid it. Why do you think the NFL has strict protocols for injury reports?

It should be interesting to see what the ultimate outcome of New Jersey's attempt to introduce sports betting since the four major pro sports leagues as well as the NCAA are trying to stop them (Even though the Federal law passed in 1992 prevents them from introducing it since the loophole created for them when the law was written had an expiration date of 1/1/94 and New Jersey did not introduce sports betting when they had the chance.).

ltbewr

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:59 pm

I 'bet' there will be huge pressure by the sports books in Vegas on the NFL to get the regular refs back. Setting lines has become very difficult, too many players getting hurt, bad calls, with the instability, some big gamblers may pull some of their betting meaning Vegas books losing big bucks.

Revelation

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:27 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 31):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):

Yes it does. The players are taking advantage of the substitute teachers to engage in illegal hits and extracurricular activities. You see dangerous hits that should be penalized, like the one that knocked Darius Heyward-Bey out cold, going unnoticed, yet it isn't enough to get the league to call off the lockout because it's dangerous for players.

Ok, so how does this situation render farcical the rules put in place, let's say, for defenseless receivers in order to reduce the chance of concussions?

Here's the statement from the league:

No need to read it, we know it's a whitewash.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

Yet almost everyone watching the game feels the defensive player had possession, not the offensive player.

Total whitewash.

BMI727

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 48):
Ok, so how does this situation render farcical the rules put in place, let's say, for defenseless receivers in order to reduce the chance of concussions?

The rules aren't being enforced. Illegal hits are going unnoticed and guys are practically throwing punches after plays and the substitute teachers won't throw a flag. The NFLPA has raised the issue themselves.

The NFL says they care about player safety, put in place new rules and come down hard on the Saints but then allow incompetent officials who are not up to the task of keeping the game safe(r) over a sum of something like $150k per team. It's clear what the priorities are, but I doubt that will stop the NFL from lying to us about it in the future.