TS-IOR
Topic Author

Trucking In Canada

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:14 pm

I am considering a long-distance trucker job in Canada (the company came to Tunisia for recruitment) and i wanted to get an idea on the job conditions there and the business on the whole ! Anyone from here involved in road transport, trucking, logistics...

northstardc4m

RE: Trucking In Canada

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Canada is a BIG country, did they give you any better idea about where abouts the job would be?
Road conditions vary greatly province to province and even area to area.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

L-188

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:05 pm

Rent the first two seasons of ice road trucker
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

yfbflyer

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Don't forget Highway Thru Hell
http://www.discoverychannel.ca/Showpage.aspx?sid=45238
4 episodes and 2 fatalities

Aesma

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 am

One thing for sure, it can't be worse than Tunisia ! I took a few cabs and minivans there and wow ! I made a prayer each time and I'm an atheist !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

YVRLTN

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:41 am

Depends where you will end up - in winter a lot of the country is covered in snow & ice, which you will not be used to / trained for in Tunisia, though road clearing is very good.

Wages are not great, remember cost of living will be pro rata.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Go3Team

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 am

What company? We handle a lot of Canadian companies here at work. The most notable at hiring outside help is Highland Transport.
Yay Pudding!

TS-IOR
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 5):

I am used to drive in Europe (Alps...) so i don't think it will be so difficult to me, but of course i remain cautious  
Quoting go3team (Reply 6):

I do not know the name of the company yet. The recruiter is to come to Tunisia to meet selected candidates.

johns624

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Most large Canadian companies also enter the US, so make sure that you won't have any problems going cross-border.

northstardc4m

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Quoting johns624 (Reply 8):
Most large Canadian companies also enter the US, so make sure that you won't have any problems going cross-border.

Actually thats probably not an issue. Most trans-border companies won't hire outside US/Canada. I know alot of companies in Alberta are hiring for oil sands runs all domestic, and there are many trucking companies who hire people who can't enter the US, i know someone who works as a driver and has a criminal conviction for example.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

JAGflyer

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:12 pm

I do not think you'd be hired to work doing ice-road driving as most of those guys are experienced, Canadian drivers who know how to handle extreme conditions. Most likely you would be doing long haul driving from points in Canada to other places in Canada with the possibility of going to the US. The trucks in Canada are modern and the long haul ones have sleepers attached which allow you to park at a truck stop and rest. In my experience, the largest non-Canadian driver population are South Asians (Indian). To them, making 40-50K a year is a lot of money so they do it.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

ronglimeng

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:39 am

I'm surprised that a Canadian trucking company would come all the way to Tunisia to recruit drivers. It sounds a little fishy. I hope you haven't paid the recruiter any of your own money, have you ?

northstardc4m

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Quoting ronglimeng (Reply 11):
I'm surprised that a Canadian trucking company would come all the way to Tunisia to recruit drivers. It sounds a little fishy. I hope you haven't paid the recruiter any of your own money, have you ?

I've heard of it before, especially for work in Quebec and the Alberta Oil Sands. There is a shortage of drivers for those work requirements that won't get poached for better paying work, so it's actually cheaper to hire from Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt etc than locally since the work visas are tied to the employers. Kinda sneaky way to getting cheap labor but its still good pay for alot of people.

TS-IOR
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Quoting ronglimeng (Reply 11):
I hope you haven't paid the recruiter any of your own money, have you ?

I didn't pay a cent   and then i've just wanted to experience driving US trucks, the long large highways... as in Tunisia we have European trucks, which are good and comfortable but not like the mythic US ones   and then i'm already a longhaulier (North Africa & Europe) so it's always OK