jetblue777

Summer Aviation Academy For Teens?

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Does anyone know of or had any experiences with any kind of summer academy for teens related to aviation? Preferably, something that runs for more than one month and that has flight lessons/commercial pilot-related lessons. I read somewhere that Embry-Riddle has some sort of summer academy for teens. I live in NY and any location is good, even outside the United States, and I would actually love to go abroad. Price is not an issue (I'm in this scholarship program that pays for the tuition, airfare, etc)

PS: I will be 18 years old by this summer, and will possibly take my first flight lesson in Long Island (or New Jersey) sometime this June.

Thanks!

jetBlue777   
It's a cultural thing.

alaska737

RE: Summer Aviation Academy For Teens?

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:05 am

Quoting jetBlue777 (Thread starter):
I read somewhere that Embry-Riddle has some sort of summer academy for teens.

You thinking of this?
http://prescott.erau.edu/degrees/programs/camps/index.html

It's a cool program, I never took it as a high school-er but I helped teach it and run it when I went there. Kids seemed to have a good time and you'll learn a lot. But, IMHO, if you want to become a professional pilot I would say your money is better spent on getting your private pilot rating and then going to an Embry-Riddle type school and finishing your ratings through CFII as well as getting your four year degree.

Mir

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:25 am

7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

shamrock137

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:29 am

The FAA sponsors Aviation Career Education Camps all over the US. I worked for ACE camp a few summers when it was held at Daniel Webster College in New Hampshire and the students took part in some amazing activities. During the program they went up for multiple flights in the colleges 172's, they took tours of an ATC tower, Boston Consolidated TRACON, the New Hampshire ARFF training center, and lots of other aviation related activities. These camps vary in what you get to experience, but they are usually well run, and reasonably priced.

http://www.faa.gov/education/student_resources/ace_camps/
Time to spare? Go by air!

jetblue777

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely look into it.

Quoting alaska737 (Reply 1):

Yeah, I think this is it.

jetBlue777   
It's a cultural thing.

Aesma

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Can't you start flying right now ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

jetblue777

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:32 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 5):
Can't you start flying right now ?

Yeah, I could. Although I'm going to start once school ends in June. (Or maybe this Spring Break)

I attend Aviation High School, and two of my friends just got their private pilot licenses.

jetBlue777
It's a cultural thing.