mcdu
Topic Author

TSA Agents Caught In Sting For Theft

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:53 pm

TSA agents caught in theft of iPads. ABC news sets up sting and tracks stolen devices to agents homes. Absolutely disgusting.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/abc-ne...a/t/story?id=17331937#.UGXRqvmMV7G

Cush

RE: TSA Agents Caught In Sting For Theft

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:00 pm

I hate to say it, but this is typical. When you hire the bottom of the barrel, you get the bottom. As long as you can spell your name, and have no criminal past, you can work for TSA.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

mcdu
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Even having a criminal past doesn't disqualify you for the TSA. They have felons screening passengers! Some agents can't even vote because of felonies, yet they can search you and your bags.

nkops

Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:29 am

according to the article, it was only one agent, not agentS..... 9 of the 10 TSA checkpoints followed procedure according to the article... the OP makes it sound like ABC News caught several.
:evil:

Birdwatching

Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Quoting NKOPS (Reply 3):
according to the article, it was only one agent, not agentS..... 9 of the 10 TSA checkpoints followed procedure according to the article... the OP makes it sound like ABC News caught several.

1 out of 10 equals 2 out of 20 and so on, so with 58.000+ employees working for the TSA, statistically, 5.800 of them would have stolen an Ipad or would if they had the chance.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

L-188

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Typical scum.

I havent flown anywhere since I went south for my grandfatgers funeral and that was four years ago.

I dont have and wont have any trips planned for a long time

There is just too much offensive about security now to even worry about it
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

DeltaMD90

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):

I agree that the TSA needs to change, but I'm puzzled, is it really that bad that you actually avoid travel because of it?  
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Gingersnap

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:22 pm

It is concerning for those of us who travel through US airports to international destinations. If my iPad was taken from my baggage just prior to leaving for LHR...I'd never get it back or even get something that would allow me to replace it.

Then again I haven't liked travelling into/throughout the US after the TSA were let loose.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

Revelation

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Quoting gingersnap (Reply 7):
If my iPad was taken from my baggage just prior to leaving for LHR...I'd never get it back or even get something that would allow me to replace it.

Indeed, but I hoped people noticed in this case the iPads were purposely left behind, not removed from baggage.

Then again I haven't liked travelling into/throughout the US after the TSA were let loose.

None of us like TSA, but there's no going back to the wide open doors of the pre-2001 era either.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

Gingersnap

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 8):
Indeed, but I hoped people noticed in this case the iPads were purposely left behind, not removed from baggage.

Common sense yes I suppose. Well I'm due to travel through LAX next, and it's a shame but I'll be ensuring to check I have my valuables once passing the checkpoint.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

Aaron747

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:39 am

About half of them seem to be reasonably competent and the other half are outright scum. I remember standing in a very slow security line entering the HNL int'l terminal 1.5 years ago for a return flight to Japan and watching two agents handling all of the security procedure for about 50 people in line while three others stood around, rubbing their bellies, carrying on personal conversations (my assumption due to the frequent laughter), and checking texts on their damn phones. It took a lot of willpower to maintain a modicum of civility for the next 20 minutes it took to get through.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Maverick623

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:32 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 8):

You'd be surprised at how many tablets (not to mention cell phones and laptops) are left behind by mistake every day. I'd be willing to bet it numbers in the hundreds.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

thegreatRDU

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:00 am

We should've never sacrificed liberty for a sense of security...

After 9-11 those guys got us good...playing on our emotions now look were we ended up
Our Returning Champion

EL-AL

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:34 am

That is not just an american issue. In september 2010 I had a package of cigarettes stolen from my bag in Malta MLA airport. Once I noticed it, I contacted the Maltese police, airport management and ministry of tourism - with nothing done till this very day.

I wrote all about it on a trip report at the time: Nightmares And Thefts: Air Malta TLV-MLA-TLV (by EL-AL Oct 22 2010 in Trip Reports)
every day is a good day to fly

AzoresLover

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:05 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
I havent flown anywhere since I went south for my grandfatgers funeral and that was four years ago.

I dont have and wont have any trips planned for a long time

There is just too much offensive about security now to even worry about it
Then again I haven't liked travelling into/throughout the US after the TSA were let loose
Quoting thegreatRDU (Reply 12):
We should've never sacrificed liberty for a sense of security

I agree with all of these posters. I have not flown for nearly 7 1/2 years, and I have no intention of flying again except in an emergency situation. I have flown all my adult life, even had a job where I was on the road for 2 weeks and more per month. But I simply do NOT like being considered as possibly guilty until I have proven through what are IMO very invasive tactics before being allowed to simply get from point A to Point B. Now I drive or take AMTRAK to whereever I want to go. Benjamin Franklin had it right when he said: "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

ltbewr

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Complaints about the USA's TSA have probably been among the most common one-sided discussions on this site. 100's of incidents of incompetency, abuses of power, misinterpretation of laws, harassment of low-risk persons, 'thousands standing around' while you fume in an long line, not catching guns and knives but stealing i-Phones have led to 100's of topics and 100's of thousands of posts here. We have a TSA system that encourages hostile attitudes toward them compounding their job. There are also too many incompetent passengers who have loaded guns and other contraband in carry ons, put expensive jewelry in checked bags, get too anxious and forgetful after the TSA Checkpoints to remember all there stuff, think only 'middle-eastern looking' men should have to face security while all white European men should be exempt. We also need to figure out a balance of how we staff the TSA, to keep out criminals and potential incompetents, deal with the realities of how humans work in stressful situations, compensation, scheduling, not making a hostile situation from their side and limit the opportunites of theft.

We need a real, genuine, extensive and non-politicized examination of our TSA, from the staffing and passanger sides, constantly reviewing and revising procedures to improve it, to minimise hassles, to be financially affordable and to make sure we are really secure.

BN747

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Quoting NKOPS (Reply 3):

If you watched the entire program - it disclosed that over 370+ TSA Agents have been fired for theft over the last few years that's TOO HIGH.

And these people at best...are comparable to Burger King employees, sorry no offense to any TSA workers here (you most likely are one of the good ones). To have such a person in-charge of security is a complete joke and an insult!

The question is...when will people wake up and realize that this is a farce and a facade?! If such a large number can be compromised sooooo easily, how difficult could it be to really get a few together to do something pretty darn horrific when cost is not an obstacle. Not hard at all. To watch these retards barking orders at people at airports just makes my skin crawl because you can actually see a limited-minded person asserting unbridled force and control over people even if it's just for a few minutes...and for anyone to be okay with it speaks volumes. That there are thieves, felons and crooks among there like the guy in the news story is even more appalling.

Somewhere, someplace some higher up in DC already knows this is joke, a profitable joke and will ride that gravy trail as long as they can/ (yes I know it's a Federal Agency but it's equipment and associated private contractor activity must total in the billions).

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Maverick623

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 15):
We need a real, genuine, extensive and non-politicized examination of our TSA

Please tell me what is political (and not genuine) about pointing out that TSA:

1) Hires felons
2) Has a serious problem with theft
3) Has a serious problem with drug smuggling
4) Has never stopped or prevented an attack on an airplane
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way