A320ajm
Topic Author

Mac IE Problem - Help Apple Geeks!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:19 am

Hey,

I'm having a very frustrating problem with my MacBook and work. To view our payslips online, the company that my company use requires you to use Internet Explorer (the most ridiculous thing in the world, and highly annoying), and obviously IE isn'ty compatible with a MacBook (running OSX Lion). Company computers have IE installed as we run windows, however I am on training for 5 weeks and do not have access to these machines.

I have tried the Develop menu in Safari and switched it to Internet Explorer (tried versions 7, 8 and 9) but the page just loads blank (as opposed to the error message you get with any other browser).

I'd be so grateful if anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this dilema!  

Regards,
A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

Klaus

RE: Mac IE Problem - Help Apple Geeks!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:21 am

If the online software actually relies on IE and is incompatible with everything else, a virtual machine with Windows will be your best bet.

A320ajm
Topic Author

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:24 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 1):
If the online software actually relies on IE and is incompatible with everything else, a virtual machine with Windows will be your best bet.

Unfortunately I think it does  
How secure are these virtual machines? I am viewing sensitive information (payslip etc).

A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

Klaus

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:42 am

Quoting A320ajm (Reply 2):
How secure are these virtual machines? I am viewing sensitive information (payslip etc).

A VM is like a separate computer.

You need to secure Windows as much within a VM as you'd have to on a separate PC. If you need the Windows installation only for this purpose, you may be able to restrict it more heavily than a fully used PC.

Of course the host Mac OS X should also be kept in order (primarily by keeping the system updated and not running dubious software from the internet) because a key logger running on the Mac side (for instance) might actually catch keyboard input before it is passed through to the VM running Windows.

Braniff747SP

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:44 pm

SInce Microsoft hasn't made Internet Explorer for Mac for several years, a VM will be your only solution. It's like having two computers in one... You can choose to run Windows XP, 7, 8, etc.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

clemsonaj

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:06 pm

I've had luck running firefox and chrome to get around these IE only systems. Most of them recognize one or the other browser in the mac platform. However as stated above it could be that you need to create a virtual machine and use Windows.