YankeesFan
Topic Author

Largest Steak You Ate.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:46 pm

What is the largest steak you ate? My largest is the NY Strip.
I hope you stand by your promises Obama. I will be really mad if you don't

fr8mech

RE: Largest Steak You Ate.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:24 pm

23 years ago, I ate a 32 ounce Porterhouse at a place called Pinnacle Peak (or Pete's) in Tuscon.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Aesma

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm

A Bistecca alla Fiorentina last summer in Tuscany at a "Bistecca party", basically all the town and surrounding country come to eat this large steak for a fixed price, with entertainment, on a big place. I don't have the name where this was in mind but it was one of those cities built on a hill, so the view from the piazza was incredible.

The steak was the size of a plate, so quite big.

I see there that it's supposed to be very thick and to share between several people : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-bone_steak#Bistecca_alla_Fiorentina

This wasn't the case, it was thick but ended up making maybe 500g, not 1,5Kg !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

desertjets

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 1):
23 years ago, I ate a 32 ounce Porterhouse at a place called Pinnacle Peak (or Pete's) in Tuscon.

I think I ate there, isn't that the place where they chop off your ties and hang em on the ceiling? I may not have had the 32 oz one, though.... smaller but still big.

Quoting YankeesFan (Thread starter):
What is the largest steak you ate? My largest is the NY Strip.

Hate to nitpick (actually no I don't) a strip is a specific cut and not all that big unless it is super thick. I do like a good strip steak and usually they are 10-12 oz (boneless).
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 3):
Hate to nitpick (actually no I don't) a strip is a specific cut and not all that big unless it is super thick. I do like a good strip steak and usually they are 10-12 oz (boneless).

The steak I ate was 12 oz.

aero145

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:55 pm

In my first and only (yet) visit to the USA, I ate a one-kilogram steak (36 ounces for our American friends). It was awesome!

Kiwirob

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:12 pm

1kg rump steak with 1kg of fries and 500g coleslaw, and pepper sauce, if you ate it all it was free, this was at that gone but not forgotten Cow Shed in Browns Bay, Auckland.

desertjets

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 5):
I ate a one-kilogram steak (36 ounces for our American friends).

This is an area where the metric system lets you down.... a 1 kilo steak doesn't sound impressive, whereas a 36 ounce steak does. But I suppose if you said you ate a 1000 gram steak.......   

There are places all over the US, in Texas in particular that have huge steaks that if you eat them all you get them for free. I know of one in Amarillo (its right off of the interstate and tacky as hell looking) that has that deal with a 72 ouncer. No way I could eat that, but I think my 15 or 16 year old self could have, or at least gotten close.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

fr8mech

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 3):
I think I ate there, isn't that the place where they chop off your ties and hang em on the ceiling?

That's the place.

Quoting YankeesFan (Reply 4):
The steak I ate was 12 oz.

That's really not that large. Top side of NY Strip, but that tends to be a smaller cut. Still, that's about the top end of what I would sit down and eat nowadays. I settle for about 8oz. and some mushrooms and broccoli.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

flyingturtle

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 6):
1kg rump steak with 1kg of fries and 500g coleslaw, and pepper sauce, if you ate it all it was free, this was at that gone but not forgotten Cow Shed in Browns Bay, Auckland.

Awwww...            

My record is 0.5 kgs / 17.8 oz of cordon bleu with french fries, or 0.8 kgs / 28 oz of steaks with a little bread...

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Aesma

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 7):
This is an area where the metric system lets you down.... a 1 kilo steak doesn't sound impressive, whereas a 36 ounce steak does. But I suppose if you said you ate a 1000 gram steak......

I disagree. Changing unit from the usual low hundreds of grams makes it very impressive (and indeed eating 1Kg of anything would be a challenge for most people). It's like measuring the size of someone in yards instead of feet.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:56 pm

There are places all over the US, in Texas in particular that have huge steaks that if you eat them all you get them for free. I know of one in Amarillo (its right off of the interstate and tacky as hell looking) that has that deal with a 72 ouncer. No way I could eat that, but I think my 15 or 16 year old self could have, or at least gotten close.

I know that challenge. It was on Man V Food.

ajd1992

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:13 pm

I think I've done about a 12oz, but I don't eat it very often because i'm poor, basically. 

There is a steakhouse around 15 miles from me that does a 52oz steak for £70/$115  Tempted although that is a LOT of money and steak!

http://www.hickorys.co.uk/

Goldenshield

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:50 pm

That's the Big Texan. It's a 72 oz. steak with salad, sides, and bread. You have to eat it all---including your drink---in an hour or less to get it free. The steakhouse is a VERY tacky tourist trap, complete with hour-long waits for seating, but the food is actually quite good!

[Edited 2012-10-02 12:51:38]
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

dc9northwest

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:07 pm

In one sitting? Probably an 8-ounce steak. Maybe 10 if I was really hungry.

Why are we talking about the biggest steak and not the best one?

Time to start focusing on quality rather than quantity.

flyingturtle

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 13):

I laughed my rear end off - I just googled "72 oz in kgs", and what is the first search result?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Texan_Steak_Ranch

:D

David

srbmod

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:41 pm

I've eaten a fair number of pretty sizable t-bones as well as rib-eyes over the years that easily weighed in 20-24 oz or more.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 14):

You can have a big steak and yet it still be of really good quality. There are high-end steak houses that source their meats from really high quality purveyors like Pat LaFrieda and make sure to mention that on their menus. There's also a revival of old fashioned butcher and charcuterie shops where the meat is cut in-house (Unlike most grocery stores these days.) and they make sausages, hot dogs, terrines, salumi, cured meats, etc. A few months back I visited one such shop here in Atlanta and got two very nice rib-eyes that were sourced from a supplier in North Carolina that feeds their cattle an all-natural diet and also dry age the beef naturally as well. These steaks reminded me of how steaks used to taste 15-20 years ago. They were slightly more expensive than what I can find in my local grocery store, but were worth it.

ajd1992

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 16):
They were slightly more expensive than what I can find in my local grocery store, but were worth it.

Steak is one of those things that is worth that bit extra. If you scrimp, you'll always be disappointed you didn't pay the little extra to get the better cut.

casinterest

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 pm

I have had quite a few 32 ounce Ribeyes.

Usually though they are 22-24 OZ that I buy in the store. I enjoy the ribeyes mroe than a strip., However I do like a good 8-10 Oz Filet every now and then.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:36 pm

You can focus on quality and quantity. And I was just curious.

flyingturtle

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:36 pm

When I ate a 500 g / 17.6 oz cordon bleu with french fries, the problem was that the meat tastes the same. All the way the same taste, from the frist ounce to the last ounce. This is especially bothersome when the cheese flows out from the cordon bleu. You spend half of your meal dipping french fries in the cheese just to get some variety...

David

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 12):
There is a steakhouse around 15 miles from me that does a 52oz steak for £70/$115  Tempted although that is a LOT of money and steak!

You can take home the steak if you don't finish it? If you do then you have steak that you can cook at any time.

srbmod

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 18):
I have had quite a few 32 ounce Ribeyes.

I love steak, but even that's way too much steak, as I also like having a baked potato as well as garlic bread with my steak.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 18):
Usually though they are 22-24 OZ that I buy in the store. I enjoy the ribeyes mroe than a strip., However I do like a good 8-10 Oz Filet every now and then.

A couple of years ago, my uncle gave most of the family several rib-eyes from Omaha Steaks and the first ones we cooked changed my world when it comes to steaks. For years, our family typically cooked filets or t-bones (My grandfather would sometime buy an entire tenderloin at the grocery store in order to cut the filets to the thickness he wanted.), but after my uncle's gift, all we buy are rib-eyes. I've had some really good filets and t-bones over the years, but after discovering how good a properly prepared rib-eye can be, all I want is a rib-eye.

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 17):

Steak is one of those things that is worth that bit extra. If you scrimp, you'll always be disappointed you didn't pay the little extra to get the better cut.

So true. One of more surprising places I've bought steaks from in recent months is Walmart. Here in the US, they rolled out a higher end steak section in their stores back during the Summer and are worth the extra couple dollars over the regular steaks they sell (The quality of which can be hit or miss since most chains do not cut their own meat and everything comes in already cut and ready to be placed in the case.).

casinterest

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:28 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 22):

I love steak, but even that's way too much steak, as I also like having a baked potato as well as garlic bread with my steak.

I ate the 32 Oz ones when I was on Atkins. It pretty much did me in for a day/ I much prefer a smaller cut with baked potato and Texas Toast" nowadays.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 22):
but after discovering how good a properly prepared rib-eye can be, all I want is a rib-eye.

It comes down to the marbleing. I love it. Some folks don't.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

BestWestern

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:15 am

And Bloomberg blames soda pop!
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

TransIsland

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:22 am

I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

Aesma

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:28 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 9):
My record is 0.5 kgs / 17.8 oz of cordon bleu with french fries

To me a cordon bleu is made with turkey or pork, not beef. Is that a Swiss recipe ?

Go3Team

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 am

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 25):

http://www.donshula.com/shulas-clubs/48-oz-club
Yep, I'm a member.

Ditto. Damn good steak.
Yay Pudding!

flipdewaf

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:54 am

I agree completely, I used to have my own cows to get my steak from but this thread is about something different I feel so I'll jump in on it.

I did a really manly thing once because I am really manly and almost entirely made out of testosterone and have hairs on my chect and even hairs on my hairs and...I am a man.  

Fred

flyingturtle

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 26):
To me a cordon bleu is made with turkey or pork, not beef. Is that a Swiss recipe ?

Ahhh. Stupid me. 

I've never seen a beef cordon bleu at a restaurant, but on the web there are recipes for veal and beef cordons bleux... I'll do one some day.

David

comorin

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:18 am

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 28):
did a really manly thing once because I am really manly and almost entirely made out of testosterone and have hairs on my chect and even hairs on my hairs and...I am a man

I'll bite and want to know what manly-man thing you did!

flipdewaf

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:10 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 30):
I'll bite and want to know what manly-man thing you did!

Rescued a lady who had her face trampled on by a horse on saturday and then spent 4 hrs looking for the horse in the woods:D

Fred

Superfly

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 am

I've made larger steaks on my own at home on the grill.
The largest steak I've had at a restaurant is the 28oz Trail Boss (Porterhouse) at Pinnacle Peak steakhouse in San Dimas, California.
I went there with a former Airliners.net member a few years ago. This is one of the first places I'll eat at when I revisit the US.

that's not my hand
Bring back the Concorde

comorin

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:41 am

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 31):
Rescued a lady who had her face trampled on by a horse on saturday and then spent 4 hrs looking for the horse in the woods:D

Give this guy a Platinum Man Card!!

IMissPiedmont

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:51 am

Damn, ya'll are a bunch of gluttonous critters.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Kiwirob

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm

I ate a fantastic horse filet last night, once you've eaten horse beef just doesn't cut it anymore.

flipdewaf

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 33):
Give this guy a Platinum Man Card!!

LOL, Do you not have a pink one?
Fred

Newark727

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:14 pm

I shared one of those two-person-size cuts with my mother but she didn't eat nearly as much as I did- she's about half my size... I forget the size of the steak in ounces though. I know it was much bigger than a regular cut but not a 72-oz. monster, and that it was very expensive and also very tasty. Maybe 56 ounces?

DocLightning

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:10 pm

When I was 16, I managed to fit an entire prime rib, a baked potato, large side of broccoli, and a huge salad with most of a bread basket down one night at a nice restaurant.

Being 16 at the time, I was hungry again about 3 hours later.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

srbmod

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 34):
Damn, ya'll are a bunch of gluttonous critters.
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 38):
When I was 16, I managed to fit an entire prime rib, a baked potato, large side of broccoli, and a huge salad with most of a bread basket down one night at a nice restaurant.

Being 16 at the time, I was hungry again about 3 hours later.

That's one thing about my teenage years I miss, the ability to eat tons of food and not gain a pound.

KAUST

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 am

Wow 40 posts in and nothing from my good buddy PhilCo?

Guess he has been busy chomping down some nice juicy steaks. 

filler

filler

KAUST  
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

Fabo

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Damn, them is some big steaks. Personally the most of compact meat (i.e. not ground meat) I have been able to eat in one sitting is about ,5 kg plus side.

I suppose I could eat about a ,8kg of beef steak plus bread, but I am not in a position to try - beef is prohibitely expensive for me as a Slovak student   , especially the better cuts. I do do my own pork "steaks" if you will, and then about 350 grams is a "standart" portion that allows me to function after eating.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT