flightfan4ever
Topic Author

Iran Oil Sales Up - Fights Back Against Sanctions

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 am

In what is a hugely positive development for Iran's economy, oil exports have increased for the second consecutive month:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8498e...e-10a0-11e2-87cc-00144feabdc0.html

Given the economic pressures that many ordinary Iranians have been facing as a result of sanctions, this is unboubtedly very welcome news for them.

PHX787

RE: Iran Oil Sales Up - Fights Back Against Sanctions

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:46 am

From what I saw on that link, it's increased exports to Syria, Russia, and China, no?

More UN sanction by-passing going on, ever increasing my annoyance with the US hosting a pointless international body on our soil  
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

casinterest

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Quoting flightfan4ever (Thread starter):
In what is a hugely positive development for Iran's economy, oil exports have increased for the second consecutive month:

It may be good for them , but it may be a dead cat bounce, and a lot of it will depend on the ability of Iran to secure financing for this.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 1):
More UN sanction by-passing going on, ever increasing my annoyance with the US hosting a pointless international body on our soil

The UN is a place to try to get things done diplomatically without resorting to war. At this point, China, Syria and Russia are choosing to believe that War and the nuclear ambitions of Iran are not a threat. History will eventually pass judgement. However with the UN, the intentions of the international community are known.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

flightfan4ever
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 1):
From what I saw on that link, it's increased exports to Syria, Russia, and China, no?

Also South Korea, Turkey, India, Taiwan and Japan.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 2):
It may be good for them , but it may be a dead cat bounce, and a lot of it will depend on the ability of Iran to secure financing for this.

To your point, I respond by quoting from the Financial Times Article:

“We have seen the low point of Iranian oil exports,” a Gulf-based senior oil official said. “Asian countries are buying again.”

Revelation

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Quoting flightfan4ever (Thread starter):
Given the economic pressures that many ordinary Iranians have been facing as a result of sanctions, this is unboubtedly very welcome news for them.

Undoubtedly? How do we know that profits from oil sales trickle down to the "ordinary Iranians"?

ExxonMobileTexacoEtAl could double sales and it wouldn't put any more money in my pocket.

Perhaps the amount of tax they pay might go up, but they're pretty good at gaming the tax system, so I wouldn't even expect that.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

flightfan4ever
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 4):
Undoubtedly? How do we know that profits from oil sales trickle down to the "ordinary Iranians"?

Because "ordinary Iranians" receive significant amounts of subsidies from the government as a result of oil exports e.g. subsidized fuels, utilities, staple goods such as grains and rice etc etc.

Revelation

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Right, but how do we know that the current increase in exports being discussed ends up going that route as opposed to going to a Swiss bank account? Let me guess - because of the transparency of the Iranian government?
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!