Jet-lagged

The A.net Of Weather?

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:42 pm

A-netters,

Over the years I've learned a lot about aviation from A.net, either within the forums themselves or as a jump-off to other sites' links within the discussions. Thanks all.

I'd like to learn more about weather and climate. How it works the way it does, what all those weather charts and data mean, understanding better what I see in the sky, and what big changes are going on.

Aviation is heavily impacted by weather, so I'm thinking some of you may know where to go.

Finding a group of knowledge people is a good way to learn about something. Can anyone recommend any good world-wide weather forums similar to A.net? An impartial, non-political forum about climate would be a bonus.

Thanks

planejamie

RE: The A.net Of Weather?

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:30 pm

I'm not sure if it would work in the US but the BBC Weather site has some good videos explaining various weather phenomenon and might be a good place to start. I learnt most of my Meteorology stuff out of a text book for the exam for my PPL. Again, it's a book aimed at the UK/CAA exams, not the US/FAA but I'm sure there's versions of it out there.

Another thing to try is perhaps looking on YouTube, sometimes people put videos up there explaining these things (I've not really looked for Weather/Met but have for other things).

PHX787

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:24 am

Tornadovideos.net is a good website for weather spotters. I submitted a video of a massive hailstorm hitting Cincy in 2005, which got some decent hits. I forgot where the video went (I think it may have gotten deleted)
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

NZ107

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 am

Quoting jet-lagged (Thread starter):
An impartial, non-political forum about climate would be a bonus.

Good luck!

Anyway there's a site called wunderground.com - it might be of some interest.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

casinterest

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:58 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 3):
Anyway there's a site called wunderground.com - it might be of some interest.

This is a good site, very climate change oriented, and tropically oriented, This is where Jeff Masters gained his popularity. TWC bought them recently.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Jet-lagged

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!