RussianJet
Topic Author

Stupid Changes To Google Search Interface?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:17 am

I am pretty computer-literate, but I can't rule out the possibility that there might be a setting somewhere that has inadvertantly been changed. BUT - it seems that in the last couple of days, the blue link that would appear to the right of the search results on Google which said 'show results from the UK' or, if already showing local results 'show results from the internet' has gone. Despite saving my location as the UK in settings, the results (particularly when looking for things to buy etc.) are irritatingly global, when I do not always want or need them to be. The ability to switch between local and global results was stupendously useful, and I can't for the life of me fathom why the hell they would do away with it.....

So, has anyone else noticed this or have I actually done something stupid here?? If so, what? I really hope it is me.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

zippyjet

RE: Stupid Changes To Google Search Interface?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:30 am

Do you have a G-Mail or Google Chrome account? I have both and am able to save my search preferences. You may also want to check out Startpage.comThey do not record your IP address/great for privacy issues They also have preferences you can pre-set and unless you default out of it use Google searches. However, I do feel for image searching Google has the other's beat now that Flickr is associated with them. Good luck.

https://startpage.com
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

RussianJet
Topic Author

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:51 pm

Yeah, have done all that. Just wondered if there was something more obvious at play. Has anyone else noticed this ridiculous cut in functionality?

zkojq

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 2):
Has anyone else noticed this ridiculous cut in functionality?

Yes, the recent changes have really annoyed me. How can anyone have found the new layout to be better? What I like least is that I can nolonger have a background photo (was a Virgin Atlantic A340) for the default google page. They also made it more difficult to filter for only high-res images when doing an image search.

Quoting RussianJet (Thread starter):
The ability to switch between local and global results was stupendously useful, and I can't for the life of me fathom why the hell they would do away with it.....

Search with the default search page, then click the search tools button (someone's screenshot of it has been provided below). It will bring up a few options to filter the search, including country specific results. For me however, the options only appear for a few seconds thus making it impossible to filter a websearch.   
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)

RussianJet
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 pm

Quoting zkojq (Reply 3):

Search with the default search page, then click the search tools button (someone's screenshot of it has been provided below). It will bring up a few options to filter the search, including country specific results. For me however, the options only appear for a few seconds thus making it impossible to filter a websearch.

AH, superb - so what used to take one clicks now takes several and is difficult to find unless someone shows you? What a superb 'improvement'. What the hell were they thinking?? Glad I'm not the only one to notice.

zkojq

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 4):
so what used to take one clicks now takes several and is difficult to find unless someone shows you?

Ironically, one could have to to use google to find out how to work google.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 4):
What the hell were they thinking?

I assume the more minimalism design of the current setup is appealing to some....not to me though; less certainly isn't always more.
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)