Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live cockroaches during a contest earlier this year in which the grand prize was a python, an autopsy has concluded.
Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents", according to the report released by the Broward County medical examiner's office.
Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.
Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at a reptile store north of Miami.
Archbold became ill shortly after the contest and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
About 30 contestants ate the insects, but authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.
Perhaps the airline caterers are simply meeting customer demand?