GrahamHill
Topic Author

F1 - 2012/13 Off Season Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Guys,

I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread to talk about the off season events in the F1 galaxy.

I would like to start the thread by talking about a giant who is going to leave his role as President of Mercedes motorsport by the end of the year. Haug was part of Mercedes since 1990 and led the brand to an incredible amount of wins and titles in many categories across the planet. Here are some of his "stats" (from Autosport):

Quote:
1990 - The year in which Haug became Mercedes motorsport vice-president. He joined on October 1, just days before Jean-Louis Schlesser and Mauro Baldi clinched the World Sportscar title in a Mercedes C11

986 - Total number of races featuring a factory Mercedes presence during the Haug era. The three-pointed star won 439 of them, or 45 per cent if you prefer.

500 – Mercedes built an engine with the aim specifically to win the Indianapolis 500, and achieved it in 1994 with Penske and Al Unser Jr, breaking its Indycar series duck in the process. Eighteen more victories followed, with Unser and Greg Moore recording five of them each.

87 – Number of Formula 1 wins taken by Mercedes-powered cars during the Haug era. Mika Hakkinen took all 20 of his grand prix wins and his 1998-99 titles in McLaren-Mercedes. Lewis Hamilton in 2008 and Jenson Button in 2009 followed with McLaren and Brawn. The three-pointed star also powered cars to two constructors' titles.

19 – total number of DTM titles won, nine drivers' crowns courtesy of Klaus Ludwig, Bernd Schneider, Gary Paffett and Paul di Resta and 10 constructors' prizes.

13 – Drivers' titles won in major Formula 3 championships since Mercedes' engine programme began during the last decade. Jamie Green won the first in the Euro Series in 2004, while Lewis Hamilton, Paul di Resta, Nico Hulkenberg, Romain Grosjean and Jaime Alguersuari followed. A total of 189 major F3 wins have been scored, including 10 at the Masters and four at Macau.

10 – Mercedes won all 10 races of the 1998 FIA GT Championship; Ludwig and Ricardo Zonta taking the drivers' title ahead of '97 champion Bernd Schneider and Mark Webber.

2 – Championships won in the short-lived DTM successor, the ITC. Schneider again took the drivers' crown while a squad including Dario Franchitti.

1 – Number of grand prix wins gained by Mercedes as a constructor since returning to F1 in 2010. Nico Rosberg scored the victory at this year's Chinese Grand Prix.

Haug is leaving because the results of Mercedes GP over the last three years were not good enough.

Good luck to him in his next adventure   
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

CXB77L

RE: F1 - 2012/13 Off Season Thread

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:55 pm

British GP2 driver Max Chilton, younger brother of British Touring Car driver Tom Chilton, has been given a full time race seat by Marussia in 2013:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104867

I don't watch a lot of GP2, so I have no idea how talented or otherwise Chilton is, but good luck to him. Being stuck at the back of the grid isn't going to make it easy to impress other teams enough to get a better drive, but I hope he does well.
Boeing 777 fanboy

GrahamHill
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 1):
I don't watch a lot of GP2, so I have no idea how talented or otherwise Chilton is

Me neither. I actually know more his brother Tom, whom I used to see racing when I was watching lots of BTCC back in the early 2000s.

I also learned yesterday that Kobayashi could not get a seat for next season (i.e. could not get enough money to buy a seat) and that he will try to come back in 2014.

So here is where we stand so far:

Red Bull
Sebastian Vettel
Mark Webber

Ferrari
Fernando Alonso
Felipe Massa

McLaren
Jenson Button
Sergio Perez

Lotus
Kimi Raikkonen
Romain Grosjean

Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton
Nico Rosberg

Sauber
Nico Hulkenberg
Esteban Gutierrez

Force India
Paul di Resta
Seat still available

Williams
Pastor Maldonado
Valtteri Bottas

Toro Rosso
Daniel Ricciardo
Jean-Eric Vergne

Caterham
Charles Pic
Seat still available

Marussia
Timo Glock
Max Chilton

Only two seats to get. Who has the biggest bank account at the moment?

Charles79

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 2):
Force India
Paul di Resta
Seat still available
Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 2):
Only two seats to get. Who has the biggest bank account at the moment?

Rumours/speculation in the German media are linking Sutil with the second Force India seat. I personally would have given Kovalainen another chance but perhaps Sutil is bringing in more Euros than the Finn...

b78710

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 pm

So do some of these drivers actually pay to drive?

MadameConcorde

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:59 pm

Quoting b78710 (Reply 4):
do some of these drivers actually pay to drive?

Absolutely.
No personal sponsor coming with $$$$$$$$$ = no driver's seat.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

b78710

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:10 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 5):
Absolutely.

Wow. I never knew that, I just assumed they all got paid to drive. Obviously some more than others.

GrahamHill
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Quoting b78710 (Reply 4):
So do some of these drivers actually pay to drive?

Formula 1 cost a lot of money and some teams have more difficulties than others with their budget, so they hire drivers who are coming with big sponsors:

- Pastor Maldonado brought a substantial amount of money to Williams thanks to the national oil company of Venezuela, PDVSA.
- Bruno Senna brought something like 15 million euros thanks to the Brazilian oil company Eike Batista.
- Vitaly Petrov is backed by multiple Russian companies also brought 15 million euros to his team.
- Sergio Pérez has Telmex as a sponsor, etc.

I took those figures from this interesting article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...pastor-maldonado-f1-money-drivers.

And if you're good enough, like Alonso, you can start your career like that and end up being paid millions to drive a top-team car.

MadameConcorde

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 7):
- Pastor Maldonado brought a substantial amount of money to Williams thanks to the national oil company of Venezuela, PDVSA.

and from his good buddy Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez without whom he wouldn't be in his F1 seat at Williams.

PDVSA continues to hire only supporters of the president, and PDVSA revenue is used to fund political projects.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDVSA.

I am curious as to which Russian companies have financially supported Vitaly Petrov. Could be some shady business there too. These deals never get unveiled to the public.

Wow!

sudden

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:12 am

Montezemolo basically wants Bernie to step down. Do I dare to say that the Italian is still pissed? Yes I do!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104910
When in doubt, flat out!

Stealthz

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 9):
Montezemolo basically wants Bernie to step down.

It is very rarely that I agree with Luca di M (regular readers of these threads will attest to that) but there is little in that article to argue with.. in fact I wholeheartedly endorse most of it.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

sudden

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Quoting stealthz (Reply 10):
It is very rarely that I agree with Luca di M (regular readers of these threads will attest to that) but there is little in that article to argue with.. in fact I wholeheartedly endorse most of it.

Fair enough, but looking at what he said after that Alonso lost the title makes me wonder though.
When in doubt, flat out!

Stealthz

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 11):
Fair enough, but looking at what he said after that Alonso lost the title makes me wonder though.

Agreed, but he is right about Bernie's other failings.. races in places that should not have them just based on $$
I hate those races in desret hell holes with no fans, no atmosphere, at the expense of places where the people care and are passionate about the racing.

I think Bernie should go, he has achieved a lot but his day is done, we need someone who will capitalise on the merchandising and Brand... the income from effective merchandising would make the "traditional" races viable without the need to race where no gives a shit!!

The desert races, most the asian races .. have no place on the calendar,

Get back to the essence of Fi.. Bernie has to go for that to happen.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

MadameConcorde

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Ayrton Senna's fully running 1984 Toleman is up for sale.
Any buyers here?

Place your bids:
http://www.mementoexclusives.com/Buy...r-p/tg184.htm#.UMgLRIGBj9Y.twitter

MadameConcorde

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:18 pm

F1 Christmas songs!

All I want for Christmas is F1 - The F1 fans
Kimi the Iceman - Kimi Raikkönen
The First Vettel - Red Bull Racing (2010 Original Mix)
Felipe The Red Nose Reindeer - Felipe Massa
O Little Town of Monte Carlo - Prince Albert
Let it slow - Narain Karthikeyan
Jolly Old Saint Bernie - The Sponsors
Sergio is coming to town - Sergio Perez
F1 cars roasting on an open fire - Romain Grosjean
Crashin' Around the Christmas Tree - Pastor Maldonado
Bonus track:
Lost Christmas - Wham Ft. Kimi Raikkönen

Loose Wheel Nut

SuperCaravelle

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 5):
Absolutely.

In that case it is not the driver paying though, but a sponsor. As far as I know there are no drivers paying out of own pockets to drive a F1 car at this moment, although you might consider Chilton, new driver for Marussia, as it's very likely his dad is paying for him.

Many guys wouldn't have a seat without those personal sponsors, but all those guys do need to have at least some speed (except maybe for the now defunct HRT). Maldonado is often the portrait for the ultimate sponsor driver, but he did win a race on merit and showed flashes of brilliance on other occasions.

Someone asked Alonso this year how it felt to be a pay driver (Santander being a sponsor of Ferrari and all). His answer was that he was not a pay driver, but rather a driver paid by both a team and a sponsor.

MadameConcorde

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:34 pm

2013 F1 Winter testing dates at Jerez and Montmelo   

There will be 3 sessions of 4 days each to test the new season's cars.

5-8 February Jerez
19-22 February Barcelona
28 February - 3 March Barcelona

2013 F1 Race calendar   

The German round has been moved forward a week to July 7, and an additional date of July 21 has been reserved for another F1 European event, subject to the approval of the relevant national sporting authorities (ASNs).

7/03 Australia
24/03 Malaysia
14/04 China
21/04 Bahrain
12/05 Spain
26/05 Monaco
09/06 Canada
30/06 Great Britain
07/07 Germany
21/07 Reserved for another European event*
28/07 Hungary
25/08 Belgium
08/09 Italy
22/09 Singapore
06/10 Korea
13/10 Japan
27/10 India
03/11 Abu Dhabi
17/11 USA
24/11 Brazil
*subject to the approval of the relevant ASNs

Stealthz

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:51 pm

Thanks MadameC for the update.

Just one small thing before anyone makes travel plans  

The Australian GP is on 17/3

Cheers

GrahamHill
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:16 pm

First, happy new year to the F1 community of A.net!

Second, I might have the chance to attend the Canadian GP this year, since there is no conflict with the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The only thing that will prevent me from going is the ticket price...

TheSultanOfWing

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:31 am

Graham Hill,

thanks for starting this thread, now I finally joined A-net I intend to post on F1 subjects once in a while.....I am a huge fan, I have been from the Prost days in 1993. Williams used to be my team but after Villeneuve things turned pear-shaped unfortunately. I was a fan of "your son" Damon, 1996.....a great season!

I have a question for the F1 community.........a so-called off season question:

What happens to the "old" cars of the teams?
Some of the bigger teams'models go to museums etc, I know.....I believe all Williams models are still on display in their factory for instance.
But what happens to all the other cars, the large majority......are the 2012 models recycled into the 2013 cars?

I believe Sebastian Vettel is the owner of his 2010, 2011 and 2012 championship car, is that correct?
Courtesy of a certain energy drink......

Thanks for any answers folks,

FH
I feel like the A318 at times: I am probably worth more parted out than as a whole.

sudden

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:54 am

Quoting TheSultanOfWing (Reply 19):
I have been from the Prost days in 1993. Williams used to be my team but after Villeneuve things turned pear-shaped unfortunately. I was a fan of "your son" Damon, 1996.....a great season!

Welcome. You will notice that some of us are from the same era as yourself. "Those were the days" kind of thing.

I like the way the Lotus boss state that he want drivers, not robots, in this article,
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105006
When in doubt, flat out!

Stealthz

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Certainly Williams, McLaren and I guess others keep an example or two for their museums but complete cars very rarely "escape" the team these days. I know SV grows attached to his cars but as for having the championship cars, I am not sure.
Ferrari are opening a subsidiary here in Australia and part of that is the "loan" of one of Schuey''s Championship cars, it will look like the car and have some suspension and bodywork, it will not have an actual tub, engine or transmission.
There is a historic race in Australia that owns and races 2 x1985 Ferrari 156/85 Turbo F1 cars, as far as I know that is about the most recent F1 cars running in private hands.
There may be others in museums but few any later than that actually run, the shear amount of people, technology and logistics required to merely start a recent F1 engine is beyond most privateers much less the maint and running requirements.

GrahamHill
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:21 pm

thanks for starting this thread, now I finally joined A-net I intend to post on F1 subjects once in a while

Welcome to the forum, FH! I hope you will enjoy the discussion here.

I was a fan of "your son" Damon, 1996.....a great season!

Me too . Actually, I was supporting any driver that could beat Schumacher: Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen, etc.

As Stealthz said, some stay in the factories (displayed in the "internal" showroom of the factories, like in McLaren) or Ferrari), some go to museums, like the Donington one where you have the impressive McLaren Hall, some go to auction for people like you and me (with more money though!) so they can race them in historic events, etc.

However, I doubt that the cars are "recycled" for the following season.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 21):
There may be others in museums but few any later than that actually run, the shear amount of people, technology and logistics required to merely start a recent F1 engine is beyond most privateers much less the maint and running requirements.

I think Ferrari has a department for customers who bought a Ferrari F1. The car stays in Maranello, so you'll have to go there to drive it, but at least you have customer support.

Charles79

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:53 pm

I always found it interesting how crossing the finish line at the last race of the year turns the most technically advanced racing car into a heap of rubbish that can't be used competitively in any further events!

That said, I have personally seen prior year cars in the following settings:
- Museums - the Sinsheim museum in Germany had a few Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, and Sauber cars.
- Corporate showrooms - the McLaren dealership in Kensington (London), for instance, had a 2008 ex-Hamilton car hanging from a wall this past summer. Although not a showroom, the Ferrari store at the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills had what looked like a 2004-era car on display in 2007 or thereabouts.
- Car shows - my first ever sighting of an F1 car was at the New York Auto Show in 2000...back when Jaguar was racing as a constructor they had one of the 1999 Stewart cars painted in their green colours on display. More recently I've seen both Ferrari and Renault display their older F1 cars as part of their broader vehicle display at shows in Los Angeles and Frankfurt.

Finally, I have occasionally read of teams using last year's car for testing, sometimes using it only to evaluate new/young drivers or to evaluate components that would work in the same fashion in the new car.

Quoting sudden (Reply 20):
I like the way the Lotus boss state that he want drivers, not robots, in this article,

I agree with you. There seems to be a greater push by the larger teams (and sponsors) to polish the appearance of their drivers to the point that they become, by extension, PR representatives of the engine/car manufacturers or sponsors. This year both Vettel and Raikkonen gave us quite a few verbal outbursts that are nearly absent from most other drivers. It's like they are not even allowed to be humans with emotions anymore, just a clog in the machine that talks from time to time.

sudden

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 22):
Me too . Actually, I was supporting any driver that could beat Schumacher: Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen, etc.

Schumi's battles with Hakkinen in particular was something special. Hakkinen was the only driver that Schumi really showed respect. He never pulled any stunts on him like we saw him do with Villeneuve. The famous going-right-in-a-left-corner  

Looks like Mclaren will be first to launch their car on the 31st of January.
When in doubt, flat out!

MIAspotter

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 am

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 23):
- Corporate showrooms - the McLaren dealership in Kensington (London), for instance, had a 2008 ex-Hamilton car hanging from a wall this past summer.

It is still there as of last week when I was in London, it had the number 22 on the car.

the Ferrari store

The one here in Barcelona also has an F1 car as well as the one in Milan (the ones I have been to) not sure if they are the actual cars or replicas, I am more inclined on the latter.

As for the 2013 season, I will try and see if I can pop up to Montmelo during the tests  

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Stealthz

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:01 am

the McLaren dealership in Kensington (London), for instance, had a 2008 ex-Hamilton car hanging from a wall this past summer. Although not a showroom, the Ferrari store at the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills had what looked like a 2004-era car on display in 2007 or thereabouts.

The key words are "looked like a 2004-era car" very few, if any of those "showroom" cars have very much of a real F1 car in them apart from some body panels and wheels.
Some teams use previous models for promo drives, Red Bull have raised this to something of an art form, many would have seen the Red Bull RB6 demo on a beach in the Caribbean, driving below the tide line, not much of that RB6 or Renault engine will be used again, similarly the demo at an unfinished and unpaved COTA.

bill142

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:06 am

Quoting sudden (Reply 24):

That made me think of this memorable Hakkinen vs Schumacher battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eE3gCy5zvM

sudden

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 27):
That made me think of this memorable Hakkinen vs Schumacher battle.

Epic!
When in doubt, flat out!

CXB77L

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Williams used to be my team but after Villeneuve things turned pear-shaped unfortunately. I was a fan of "your son" Damon, 1996.....a great season!

As someone who will support Williams through thick and thin ... "used to be"??? I started watching F1 in 1994, saw Williams take three Constructors and two Drivers titles in the mid 1990s, and celebrated every time they took the top step on the podium in the early noughties. Now with Renault engines again, Williams are on their way back to the top where they belong. I have never supported and will never support any F1 team other than Williams.

Drivers come and go, but teams have more longevity. I remember the Hill and Villeneuve years like it was yesterday, and they were both my favourite drivers at some stage, as have other drivers who have never driven for Williams but who have impressed me with their amazing talent: Raikkonen, Hamilton and Vettel are among my favourites today. But while I have favourite drivers, the team comes first. Always.

I believe all Williams models are still on display in their factory for instance.

Yes, that's correct. I'd love to go on a Williams museum tour one day  

Slightly off topic, but I thought I'd share this rather hilarious take on Raikkonen's interesting off track excursion in the Brazilian GP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QGCTmTTWlE

Big grin

[Edited 2013-01-09 07:20:43]
Boeing 777 fanboy

GrahamHill
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:00 pm

Did you see that they cancelled the Turkish GP? We now have 19 GPs for 2013.

It would be good if Bernie and the French federation could find an agreement to fill in the gap.

[Edited 2013-01-09 08:00:36]

TheSultanOfWing

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 am

Welcome to the forum, FH! I hope you will enjoy the discussion here.

Merci!

Me too . Actually, I was supporting any driver that could beat Schumacher: Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen, etc.

I am with you......shame Coulthard never could!

I think Ferrari has a department for customers who bought a Ferrari F1. The car stays in Maranello, so you'll have to go there to drive it, but at least you have customer support.

I didn't know this......interesting! I can't imagine how much $$$ would be involved to have your own Ferrari stored at Maranello, never mind flashing it up and actually driving it.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 21):

Certainly Williams, McLaren and I guess others keep an example or two for their museums but complete cars very rarely "escape" the team these days.

Yes, shame! It is relatively cheap to conserve a car in a "non-running" state......isn't it?
Heck, I'd prefer that over most "pieces of art" displayed at certain malls, airports and or roundabouts!
Same for displaying retired aircraft by the way, although that is probably more expensive to clean and maintain.

I always found it interesting how crossing the finish line at the last race of the year turns the most technically advanced racing car into a heap of rubbish that can't be used competitively in any further events!

Nicely put!

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 29):

As someone who will support Williams through thick and thin ... "used to be"???

Hmm, sorry to tread on toes.....especially Williams toes!

But while I have favourite drivers, the team comes first. Always.

While I applaud your attitude, let me describe my reasoning:

I loved the Camel / Canon / SEGA Williams, as well as the Rothmans years. The model cars are still hanging in my house......
But in 1998 I felt the car just got plain ugly, and they haven't improved it since. Combined with the regrettable colors the drivers have not inspired me, apart from Montoya perhaps. No look, non-inspiring drivers (Ralph, Barffff) and very few results! Sorry, it has tempered my enthusiasm. They managed to win 1 GP last year, with a Latindo driver even.....sorry, although I was happy for him....it did not light the Williams-fire......let's hope that will change.

Slightly off topic, but I thought I'd share this rather hilarious take on Raikkonen's interesting off track excursion in the Brazilian GP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QGCT...TTWlE

Hilarious, thanks!

FH
I feel like the A318 at times: I am probably worth more parted out than as a whole.

MadameConcorde

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:25 pm

This just came on my Twitter

He looks so nice on this picture
http://vimeo.com/54183275

Music is a big part of Lewis Hamilton - but he doesn´t only listen to it, he also sticks into playing the guitar.
Both combined it helps him getting prepared for races. Here´s an intimate look behind the curtain of a Formula 1 World Champion.

He is no more a McLaren Vodafone driver so I wish him the best for his first season with the Mercedes Petronas team.

Ncfc99

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:22 pm

We have car auctions at my place of work. We've had a Ferrari of Schumacher, a BAR of Button and my favourite, a McLaren of Senna. The BAR didn't have an engine or gearbox, didn't ask about the other two, too busy dribbling.

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 25):
It is still there as of last week when I was in London, it had the number 22 on the car.

The one in Wilmslow had one last year. I went past last week and it had gone.

bill142

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:37 am

Some of the bigger teams'models go to museums etc, I know.....I believe all Williams models are still on display in their factory for instance.
But what happens to all the other cars, the large majority......are the 2012 models recycled into the 2013 cars?

It would seem McLaren has a big warehouse of old cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQCX...=UU8dxVgZl9u5HeCOXnosCtuQ&index=93

sudden

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:14 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 34):
It would seem McLaren has a big warehouse of old cars.

Holy moses! That's really sweet. Hamilton looked touched by the fact that he was sitting in Senna's car. Who can blame him.
Those cars had little to none technical aid to assist the driver. Pure driving skills back then. Not to say the Hamilton or Jenson are bad drivers, but you get my point.
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:21 am

Quoting sudden (Reply 35):

Hamilton even mentions that he must have been driving one handed as the gear shifter wasn't steering wheel mounted back then.

I've found another video that might interest you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbiBdWLoDg

sudden

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:28 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 36):
I've found another video that might interest you.

I bet another member here will treasure that video. And I can assure you it's not me!
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:40 am

Quoting ncfc99 (Reply 33):
We have car auctions at my place of work. We've had a Ferrari of Schumacher, a BAR of Button and my favourite, a McLaren of Senna. The BAR didn't have an engine or gearbox, didn't ask about the other two, too busy dribbling.

Must be the same Bar I posted earlier on that was sold on ebay.

25.000,00 GBP
31 bids

THIS CAR WAS PURCHASED DIRECT FROM HONDA AND WAS THIER 2003 JENSON BUTTONS SHOW DISPLAY CAR
AND Irtysh-Avia (Kazakhstan)">IT IS WITHOUT ENGINE AND GEARBOX AND CONTROL PEDALS. AND Irtysh-Avia (Kazakhstan)">IT IS COMPLETE WITH ALL CARBON FIBRE BODYWORK INTACT
THE STEERING WHEEL COLUMN RACK AND TRACK RODS ARE ALSO IN PLACE AND WORKING

more:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I watched the auction so I still have the page. I hope the link is still working.

There is one chap on Facebook who sells F1 memorabilia - all kinds from all VVIP drivers.
His latest is a Schumi Mercedes Petronas driving suit from his race in Abu Dhabi in 2012.

He's got lots more. He does not quote prices. He has to be contacted via his FB page.
I will have to find his page and post the link.

BlueElephant

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Oye, its been a while - hope all of you are well! I promise to post more this year!

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 36):

Hamilton even mentions that he must have been driving one handed as the gear shifter wasn't steering wheel mounted back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yCsdnUW2Ww

This is the video in question. That car in amazing, and so is the emotion..

sudden

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:46 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 39):
This is the video in question. That car in amazing, and so is the emotion..

Great! That car is a time machine, in a way. What a privilege to be able to drive it and be taken back to that era of racing.
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 am

Quoting sudden (Reply 40):
a time machine

Bring back Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna, Gehrard Berger... and the Turbos in Monaco.

The noise was exhilarating!

The 80's and early 90's were fab!

1993 was great... those were the years...

Stealthz

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:49 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 41):
The noise was exhilarating!

The 80's and early 90's were fab!

1993 was great... those were the years...

Ah yes, it was 1993 in a park near central Adelaide, a Friday morning in November... Nearby a young father and his son, of obvious Mediterranean heritage.. the first (and only) cars on the track, two scarlet cars in formation blasting down Brabham straight.. 24 cylinders beating the air into submission, echoing through the trees.
The youngster crying out that he didn't like the noise.. dad, responding in a deep latin accent I cannot attempt to do justice to.. "that is not noise.. that is music"
More than 40 years of motor racing behind me and that is one of the more enduring memories!!

sudden

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 am

Pedro de la Rosa joins Ferrari. Interesting development to his career.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105129
When in doubt, flat out!

Stealthz

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:20 am

Quoting sudden (Reply 43):
Interesting development to his career.

mmm.. considering his role in the events of 2007 it is indeed interesting.
Karma or payback, undecided on that!!

MadameConcorde

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 am

Quoting sudden (Reply 43):
Pedro de la Rosa joins Ferrari.

This is very good news. Thank you Ferrari..
I always liked the driver and the man also. He is so niiiice!

sudden

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:40 am

Quoting stealthz (Reply 44):
Karma or payback, undecided on that!!

Indeed! I do however think that Alonso had a finger or 2 in this regarding bringing Pedro onboard.
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 46):
I do however think that Alonso had a finger or 2 in this regarding bringing Pedro onboard.

It could be - probably some influence on Stefano for sure - but Pedro isn't just any driver. He has a history behind him as a F1 driver, and also as a test driver. He will be a good asset to Ferrari.

Alonso will have to go at some point. Pedro might end up being there much longer than him.

sudden

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 47):
Alonso will have to go at some point. Pedro might end up being there much longer than him.

They will never hire Pedro as their driver. He is simply not talented enough. Might be a good developer, but he's not fast enough.
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 48):
They will never hire Pedro as their driver.

It would never come to my mind that Ferrari would hire Pedro as a driver. He is too old anyway.
He can be at Ferrari a long while as a developer maybe take in the seat as a co-test pilot too.

Glad Stefano Domenicali grabbed him while HRT folded and he was available. Now he is in the right place.